Why did John Barry and David Arnold stop doing the Bond scores?

sirsosirso Posts: 209MI6 Agent
Why did John Barry and David Arnold stop doing the Bond scores?

Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere in the forum.

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    John Barry suffered a ruptured esophagus and was unable to do LTK. He also expressed that he was getting tired of doing Bond. When he was asked back during the Brosnan years he wanted too much money.

David Arnold was replaced when Sam Mendes wanted to bring in his own composer, Thomas Newman. And now Fukunaga wants to use his own guy.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • sirsosirso Posts: 209MI6 Agent
    I see. Pity. I miss their contributions to the films.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,118MI6 Agent
    It would be nice for David Arnold to return one day, he often tried to capture the spirit of Barry's pieces and produced some beautiful compositions.

I would like to think having been away for so long now, waiting in the wings, that he would have a classic score tucked away, saved for when he is asked back to Bond, but perhaps that's wishful thinking and he just uses his best for whatever project he's working on at the time, which is fair enough.
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    It would be nice for David Arnold to return one day, he often tried to capture the spirit of Barry's pieces and produced some beautiful compositions.

I would like to think having been away for so long now, waiting in the wings, that he would have a classic score tucked away, saved for when he is asked back to Bond, but perhaps that's wishful thinking and he just uses his best for whatever project he's working on at the time, which is fair enough.

It's worth watching Good Omens on Amazon if you liked his World Is Not Enough score: he uses a familiar motif from that in GO.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,118MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:

It's worth watching Good Omens on Amazon if you liked his World Is Not Enough score: he uses a familiar motif from that in GO.
    {[]
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • KladdaghKladdagh FrancePosts: 117MI6 Agent
    A shame J. Barry couldn't do the score for LTK ... I really like M. Kamen BUT, his score wasn't ... was I expected for a Bond movie ...
    I really like the D. Arnold time ...
    ~Never Let Them See You Bleed~
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    Barry held out to do the Bond song but the producers wanted a pop star as a marketing thing, and the sort that writes it themselves. All very well, but when they did that, the songs didn't really chart too high mostly. They weren't smashes. Barry also said he suggested they might want to go in a different direction for GE anyhow.

Barry did the great Bond-like All The Right Places with Lisa Stansfield for that money film with Demi Moore and Robert Redford, can't remember was it Indecent Proposal?
    Barry had his bag of Oscars by then, he did what he wanted he didn't really need Bond.

Arnold got dropped for SF because the director always had Thomas Newman I think. Again, Arnold's services are oft required so he took the view he got to see a Bond film like everyone else for the first time in over a decade... as a fan.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    Actually, Arnold did mention around the time of DAD or later that he had a great Bond song on the backburner. But he never has said if he ever put it out.
    Again, he did the great No Good About Goodbyes for the Shirley Bassey album with the reference to 'Solace' as if a dig to say, this could have been the Quantum of Solace theme.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 672MI6 Agent
    I guess it is just the sound of the era, but David Arnold's Shaft score (released June 2000) is very reminiscent of the way he mixes the more modern techno sounds with the classical orchestra and Bond themes in TWINE (released 7 months prior).
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Actually, Arnold did mention around the time of DAD or later that he had a great Bond song on the backburner. But he never has said if he ever put it out.

It's about time he dusted off 'I Will Return' from DAD: he presumably got quite far along with it as a song.