Bond´s watch in Nr. 25

Comments

• clublosclublos Jacksonville, FLPosts: 193MI6 Agent
    Cue the watch snobs and their insistence that you get what you pay for... 8-)
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    clublos wrote:
    Cue the watch snobs and their insistence that you get what you pay for... 8-)

Well that’s not trolling at all is it :))
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    I wear my Garmin Fenix 3 for my outdoor activities. Mainly as it records and measures everything and I'm not worried if it gets bashed about a bit. Have never worn my Planet Ocean in the sea I'm ashamed and a bit embarrassed to say ;%
    I can definitely see a time a few years down the line when Bond wears a smart watch like Garmin or Suunto, but only if Omega ever make one (or whichever company has the Bond gig).
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    I wear my Garmin Fenix 3 for my outdoor activities. Mainly as it records and measures everything and I'm not worried if it gets bashed about a bit. Have never worn my Planet Ocean in the sea I'm ashamed and a bit embarrassed to say ;%
    I can definitely see a time a few years down the line when Bond wears a smart watch like Garmin or Suunto, but only if Omega ever make one (or whichever company has the Bond gig).

Well he's worn many digital watches before so why not? :)

Bear in mind I have nothing against Bond wearing diving watches as he does tend to do a bit of scuba occasionally! :)
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    I missed out on the Spectre watch before it became obscenely expensive to buy one so I had been holding on for Bond 25 but if its a wave dial i'll pass. I gotta wear the thing too and that the wave dial is just hideous.
  • Sriram858Sriram858 Posts: 182MI6 Agent
    Certain photos from filming in Jamaica looked like it did not have one but then again it could....I am with you on the no wave dial though....they butchered the waves when they released the new diver 300!
    I missed out on the Spectre watch before it became obscenely expensive to buy one so I had been holding on for Bond 25 but if its a wave dial i'll pass. I gotta wear the thing too and that the wave dial is just hideous.
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    edited September 2019
    I agree that watch prices are truly silly, and there’s really no practical justification for buying one. That being said, a Rolex, Omega, or Tudor is capable of withstanding a lot more abuse and will work under much more extreme conditions than a $7 Casio. And in the case of Rolex, it’ll hold or increase its value.

Not really, back in the day when I attended an IED course: "How to Make and Effectively Use IEDs to Cause Numerically Superior Enemy the Maximum Amount of Casualties" or as it was colloquially known "Piss Bottle Bomb -course" (I will not dwell on that, so don't try), I forgot my watch hanging from a tree branch some 4-6 meters away from 2kgs of RDX.

That watch was Casio AMW320. When I finally found it in the target area, it had flown some 20 meters, lost its bezel ring, had dings and scratches and I had to bang it a couple of times against a tree trunk to make it tick again, but it survived for 15 more years. I don't think, and I am not willing to test, that any mechanical watch of sane proportions would survive in functional order going through the same.

EDIT: Oh I just realized that you said 7$ Casio, that AMW was atleast 3* that when I bought it. :))
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    Well I guess it ain’t called the Seamaster for nothing :))

They actuallly did the SMP without waves for a while, I actually thought it looked rather flat and bland.

Each to his own

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
    emtiem wrote:

Very odd and unfortunate. These anomalies happen, though, including on higher end pieces. My friend bought a new Pepsi GMT (he buys a lot of watches, so the AD sold him one from his vault) and the thing had a defective crown lock. The crown literally fell out of the watch right into the AD’s gloved hand!

Yikes. It seems crazy sometimes that you can pay all of this money and actually get something that doesn't always work as well and keep as good time as a £7 Casio, plus it needs to be expensively serviced! :) I guess it's a bit like an Aston Martin being slightly more unreliable and needing expensive servicing, but that at least is a better and faster car than a Ford Ka! :) You're getting more for your money than just style unlike these watches, there's quite a bit more functionality too.

I agree that watch prices are truly silly, and there’s really no practical justification for buying one. That being said, a Rolex, Omega, or Tudor is capable of withstanding a lot more abuse and will work under much more extreme conditions than a $7 Casio. And in the case of Rolex, it’ll hold or increase its value.

But did you see the photo of my mate’s Tudor which fell apart on some gentle dips in the sea? That’s supposed to be 300m waterproof! :) Add to that when he first got it the bezel didn’t sit straight and I’m a bit suspicious of Tudor’s build quality, beautiful watch though it is.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    I’ve known a GMT Master survive a house fire. After cleaning the carbon off, apart from a popped crystal and the indices turning brown it was still working. After a service it looked like new. Indices have since lightened too
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I’ve known a GMT Master survive a house fire. After cleaning the carbon off, apart from a popped crystal and the indices turning brown it was still working. After a service it looked like new. Indices have since lightened too

Heh! That’s great :)
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:

Must have looked a bit like Jack the Bulldog - SP version :D
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    My original 2500 planet ocean took a fall from iirc a fifth floor balcony and landed at the base of a palm tree, when I went down to retrieve what I thought would be the numerous bits of watch I found it in one piece, still ticking with only a few flattened knurls on the bezel. That watch was a daily beater and had been regularly up to 5 meters down while diving and continued in service until the spring went, that I havent repaired yet. I also dived with the sm300 coax limited edition a couple of times. I also bought an incredibly poor condition smp that cosmetically looked like it had been run through a gearbox! Still kept perfect time and a thorough clean and new crystal, bezel and indices had it looking fab.
    Saying all that though I have had a PO 8500 fall off my wrist from maybe 4 feet and immediately heard one of the springs let go..
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    Bond44 wrote:
    They actuallly did the SMP without waves for a while, I actually thought it looked rather flat and bland.
    Each to his own

I thought the same.

It's funny because in that case they removed an element that worked. In general, I believe that the designers at Omega could benefit by rediscovering restraint. With most of the new designs there is (at least) one element that strikes me as too much. It's a kind of "can't leave well enough alone" mentality.

Of course, some of the most brilliant watches in horological history have been outlandish to say the least.

But, sorry to break it to you, Swatch Group, the Seamaster Aqua Terra Ultra Light is not brilliant.
    Cheverian wrote:

But, sorry to break it to you, Swatch Group, the Seamaster Aqua Terra Ultra Light is not brilliant.

Is that this one? https://www.esquire.com/uk/style/a28890431/watch-of-the-week-omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-ultra-light/

I guess the 80s are coming back, but I'm not sure they should...
    I'd love to have one though. I could sell it and buy a lovely sportscar! :)
    Chriscoop wrote:
    My original 2500 planet ocean took a fall from iirc a fifth floor balcony and landed at the base of a palm tree, when I went down to retrieve what I thought would be the numerous bits of watch I found it in one piece, still ticking with only a few flattened knurls on the bezel. That watch was a daily beater and had been regularly up to 5 meters down while diving and continued in service until the spring went, that I havent repaired yet. I also dived with the sm300 coax limited edition a couple of times. I also bought an incredibly poor condition smp that cosmetically looked like it had been run through a gearbox! Still kept perfect time and a thorough clean and new crystal, bezel and indices had it looking fab.
    Saying all that though I have had a PO 8500 fall off my wrist from maybe 4 feet and immediately heard one of the springs let go..
    Funny Chris I feel the same took my PO on tour as my beater in a very hot sandy place and had no issues. Sent for a service and it was like new. Both my PO 8500’s have never been on tour or treated as harshly but both needed parts replaced due to internal failures while the old PO 2500’s still soldiers on regardless even though welll over due for a service.

Hence why the 2500 I feel is the better watch by far. A strange dynamic as the prices went up robustness went down.

emtiem wrote:
    Cheverian wrote:

Is that this one? https://www.esquire.com/uk/style/a28890431/watch-of-the-week-omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-ultra-light/

I guess the 80s are coming back, but I'm not sure they should...
    I'd love to have one though. I could sell it and buy a lovely sportscar! :)
    You just know those who buy it, will because they can, and those in the know, will know how much that overpaid for it. Still a talking point none the less and I am sure one will come up on eBay for half the RRP after all its only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

Pure status symbol if you ask me and not even on a proper strap or bracelet

Would rather put those funds to half a Aston Martin DBS :D

P.S God help us all if Bond ends up wearing one we will have to start crowd funding so one of us could get one and pass it around each month!
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Bond44 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Funny Chris I feel the same took my PO on tour as my beater in a very hot sandy place and had no issues. Sent for a service and it was like new. Both my PO 8500’s have never been on tour or treated as harshly but both needed parts replaced due to internal failures while the old PO 2500’s still soldiers on regardless even though welll over due for a service.

Hence why the 2500 I feel is the better watch by far. A strange dynamic as the prices went up robustness went down.

Let me guess did they replace the hairspring on the 8500? 2500 sits nicer on the wrist too, the 8500 as much as I love them just sit a bit too high sometimes and are easily caught on things. Talk about robustness we've both got vintage sm300 with the 552 calibre, beautiful brass movement, reliable and easy to get serviced.... Tough as too! Omega 2500 and the 1120 (eta) it's based on is a great robust and reliable movement, if you did find you needed a handwind watch for golf or something more interesting I'd leave the £50k omega at at the AD and get something with the excellent eta unitas 6497 again its solid, reliable and looks pretty too.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    Craig wearing (I think) a Speedmaster on a Connery NATO/RAF/nylon strap at the KNIVES OUT premiere tonight. Not the NTTD watch, obviously, but fun to see.

knives-out-LH2-9353-rgb.jpg

knives-out-LH2-9353-rgb-1.jpg
  • CB0012CB0012 Posts: 110MI6 Agent
    Craig wearing (I think) a Speedmaster on a Connery NATO/RAF/nylon strap at the KNIVES OUT premiere tonight. Not the NTTD watch, obviously, but fun to see.

knives-out-LH2-9353-rgb.jpg

knives-out-LH2-9353-rgb-1.jpg

Love the combo for the watch. His standing pic however makes him look like a model for H&M. Not a fan of the suit and sneakers trend.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    I hate the suit and sneakers look, too, especially on Craig. He has a habit of dressing in his personal life in a way that makes him look shorter than he is.
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    CB0012 wrote:
    Love the combo for the watch. His standing pic however makes him look like a model for H&M. Not a fan of the suit and sneakers trend.

Exactly! That's quite TTH -look. Graig sometimes really does look like a Russian Oligarch going all out for the youthful look.....
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 462MI6 Agent
    I think the airline must have lost the suitcase with his proper shoes; surely that's the only explanation for this ridiculous look.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Must be a David Tennant Dr Who fan ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    What’s he wearing in the Italy publicity shoot?
    Same watch, I believe.
    bond-25-007-Matera-012-rgb.jpg

Screenshot-2019-09-09-at-10-14-33-PM.png

Looks to be a Speedmaster 1957 trilogy edition from 2017:

Omega-Speedmaster-57-Chronograph-1957-Trilogy-Limited-Edition-aBlogtoWatch-01-1920.jpg
  • TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    Is the NATO strap an OEM Omega or cheap $10 one from eBay?
    I might be wrong but I don't *think* Omega offers that color combo.
  • TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    That’s what I thought, but is this a new colour way yet to be released....