Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

1566567569571572595

Comments

  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,399MI6 Agent
    edited October 2019
    You may call it „cutting dead wood“ ( not sure how you will feel about that term when you are getting a bit older, SM), I call it recklessly streamlining the party for his radical agenda, which has nothing to do with true conservatism - while getting rid of the moderate oriented members who are afraid of the consequences of his „Hard Brexit by all means“

    And if Theresa May would have been similarly cruel, he and many of his pals would have been „old-wooded“ by her because he had nothing else to do to do than throwing stones into the gear during the negotiation process. I am sure that you would have sympathized to the same degree, if Johnson would have gotten thrown out of the party one year ago for only being obstructive?

    And as you mention Hungary under Orban „suffering“ from the EU.
    We have certain rules how we deal with radical nationalism and religious discrimination and pure xenophobia which all are not acceptable under our standards. If you want to draw similarities between Hungary and the UK and their „dependence“ to the EU - go ahead! I‘d like to hear more
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

    Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 17,918MI6 Agent
    I think the main problem with Orban's Hungary is the lack of freedom. His friends control much of the media, he tries to get the Supreme Court under (his) political control and he sees Putin as a hero.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,697MI6 Agent
    Thought this was interesting, some Google engineers have studied the porn interests of their
    female users, and apparently there are five types of male characters that they look for.
    Vampires, Werewolves, Millionaires, surgeons and Pirates .... so to achieve total satisfaction
    You need to be either a Vampire ( or Werewolf ) millionaire surgeon who has a sideline as a
    Pirate. ;) ....... Sadly no one is interested in the Fat Middle-aged bloke fantasy :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 7,657MI6 Agent
    edited October 2019
    Higgins wrote:
    You may call it „cutting dead wood“ ( not sure how you will feel about that term when you are getting a bit older, SM), I call it recklessly streamlining the party for his radical agenda, which has nothing to do with true conservatism - while getting rid of the moderate oriented members who are afraid of the consequences of his „Hard Brexit by all means“

    And if Theresa May would have been similarly cruel, he and many of his pals would have been „old-wooded“ by her because he had nothing else to do to do than throwing stones into the gear during the negotiation process. I am sure that you would have sympathized to the same degree, if Johnson would have gotten thrown out of the party one year ago for only being obstructive?

    And as you mention Hungary under Orban „suffering“ from the EU.
    We have certain rules how we deal with radical nationalism and religious discrimination and pure xenophobia which all are not acceptable under our standards. If you want to draw similarities between Hungary and the UK and their „dependence“ to the EU - go ahead! I‘d like to hear more

    I'm not sure I understand your point about my use of the term "cutting dead wood" but it seems you have completely misunderstood what I wrote, Higgins. You appear to assume it was shorthand for getting rid of the older MPs and that that was a good thing in my book. If so, nothing could be further from the truth. My comment had nothing whatever to do with ageism but the fact that it is the prerogative of a party leader to remove the party whip from MPs rebelling against the party line, and in a crucial vote for the future of his government. In any case, the 21 rebel MPs varied in age, so even that point doesn't make any sense.

    I would concede though that it was (as David Cameron said recently) rather "sharp practice" and given the fact he lost an MP at a by-election and another by defecting to the Lib Dems beforehand, not perhaps the wisest course of action. I'm sure that I would also be complaining if the shoe was on the other foot and Theresa May had done this to her Tory rebels during the votes on her deal. There was talk Johnson might offer an olive branch to the remaining rebel MPs that still sit on the Conservative benches but I'm not sure if that will work. I suspect not.

    It is however interesting that former Foreign Secretary (and his recent Tory leadership rival) Jeremy Hunt did back Johnson's removing of the 21 rebel MPs and he is certainly seen as part of the moderate "safe pair of hands" side of the Conservative Party. Source: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1181918/Brexit-News-update-latest-Boris-Johnson-Jeremy-Hunt-no-deal-Prorogation-Parliament/amp

    I suppose that Johnson ultimately wants his general election where he can try to regain a majority and if he can get Brexit done he will be surer of achieving this. That would end any need for the retention of the rebel MPs he removed the whip from. In any event, I would say that a general election is imminent.

    You've also of course completely misrepresented what I said about Hungary. I would of course side with the EU imposing its rules on a member state that is flagrantly disregarding its democratic institutions in the manner that Hungary currently is. I wasn't in any way defending Hungary or condoning what Orban is doing there. If you read my post above you'll see you were mistaken in accusing me of that. I also never drew any similarities between Hungary and the UK (I don't see any myself) nor did I say that Hungary is "suffering" from the EU. If anything it's the other way around and the EU is "suffering" from having Hungary as a member state!

    So, in conclusion, I don't need you (or anyone else) to put words into my mouth and mispresent me when I can much better tell you myself what I think about these matters. Clearly, there is also the record of my unedited words above, too. Surely you are better than that, Higgins? :)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,006MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    I don't want to get involved in a never-ending discussion on this subject, or for this thread to function as a surrogate for the UK Politics thread.

    Mmm. It seems that politics, like water, has a way of seeping into the cracks.
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,006MI6 Agent
    This is the daughter of Diana Rigg. I think she would not look out of place in a Bond film.




    Header-2535499-16-9-1024x576.jpg
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,399MI6 Agent
    So, in conclusion, I don't need you (or anyone else) to put words into my mouth and mispresent me when I can much better tell you myself what I think about these matters. Clearly, there is also the record of my unedited words above, too. Surely you are better than that, Higgins? :)

    Thanks for clearing this up.
    I did not put words in your mouth, the sentence started with "If".
    Higgins wrote:
    If you want to draw similarities between Hungary and the UK and their „dependence“ to the EU - go ahead! I‘d like to hear more

    As for the "Cutting dead wood", thanks for confirming that it had nothing to do with age.
    However, the modus is still as it is.

    I repeat, if Theresa May would have "sharp-practiced" her party rivals the same way like Johnson was just doing it, I am sure that you'd been as much appreciative and understanding about the ethics of doing it - age or not ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

    Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,697MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote : " ... the daughter of Diana Rigg. I think she would not look out of place in a Bond film."

    I agree and it would be fun to see the Daughter of a former Bond girl, become another Leading lady.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 25,271Chief of Staff
    Time to return this thread to its original intention and to leave politics out of it, for which I take my share of the blame.
    YNWA 97
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 31,295Chief of Staff
    Joshua wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    I don't want to get involved in a never-ending discussion on this subject, or for this thread to function as a surrogate for the UK Politics thread.

    Mmm. It seems that politics, like water, has a way of seeping into the cracks.

    Only because I am on leave at the moment. I'm at the moment in Berlin, where I'll shortly be meeting a certain person who is no stranger to anyone here, but I've spent most of the last week in Leipzig where Internet service was very patchy, or in transit.
    So, obviously I agree with what Sir Miles said above. This isn't a political thread.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,399MI6 Agent
    I wonder who will that be? ?:)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

    Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 31,295Chief of Staff
    :007)
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,006MI6 Agent
    Watching the older James Bond films, I have developed an admiration for Lois Maxwell (I choose my words carefully!) Apart from being a beautiful woman, I think she is the best Moneypenny of the whole film series.


    3aa327ce3dfcec802878dc783d2d665d.jpg



    moneypenny1.jpg
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 7,657MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Joshua wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    I don't want to get involved in a never-ending discussion on this subject, or for this thread to function as a surrogate for the UK Politics thread.

    Mmm. It seems that politics, like water, has a way of seeping into the cracks.

    Only because I am on leave at the moment. I'm at the moment in Berlin, where I'll shortly be meeting a certain person who is no stranger to anyone here, but I've spent most of the last week in Leipzig where Internet service was very patchy, or in transit.
    So, obviously I agree with what Sir Miles said above. This isn't a political thread.

    Barbel, I hope you have packed your sunglasses in case you experience any fluorescent glare. :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,697MI6 Agent
    I think Barbel is part of the UK's Brexit negotiations
    Team ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 31,295Chief of Staff
    :D :D :D

    Anything but!!!!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,399MI6 Agent
    Certainly nice finally meeting up with a hardcore Brexiteer and of course, I‘ll keep personal stuff to pms :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

    Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 31,295Chief of Staff
    I didn't see any Brexiteers there at all, hardcore or otherwise. 8-)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,697MI6 Agent
    Did you see any Hardcore , then ? :p As like Brexit it all
    Comes down to whether it's ..... Hard or Soft ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,399MI6 Agent
    No hardcore, Barbel kept the skirt on :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

    Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 7,657MI6 Agent
    Higgins is at least still a hardcore Dalton fan. :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,006MI6 Agent
    My James Bond film collection continues to grow.

    'Diamonds Are Forever' Packed as new from poundland for, er, £1!
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 1,904MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote:
    My James Bond film collection continues to grow.

    'Diamonds Are Forever' Packed as new from poundland for, er, £1!

    And Moneypenny looks particularly fine in uniform in that film Joshua :x
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 17,918MI6 Agent
    edited October 2019
    I was googling for a movie poster and I happened to find a very striking and evocative propaganda poster from WWII. As a rule propaganda posters from nazi Germany are best avoided, but this one has no ideological content at all so I think it's okay this time.

    "Pst! - the enemy is listening"

    95003620.jpg
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 9,115MI6 Agent
    It translates as 'The Enemy is Listening' according to Google Translate. That quisling Number 24 wouldn't have wanted us to know that, however! :D ;)

    Obv a very young James Bond listening in... Or is the spy the shadow - Bond in his trilby from Dr No?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

    Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 9,115MI6 Agent
    Having prorogued the UK British Politics thread without prior consultation, 'Barbel' Johnson today promised an array of goodies in the Queen's Speech, including a special preview showing for all ajb members of No Time To Die, before even Babs and Mickey get to see the final cut, with better action scenes than would be available for any non-ajb members, plus a chance to shag a leading actress of your choice (or Danny Craig, as tastes require.)

    After that, Barbel will be taking the Bond franchise back to the early 1970s Bond era, such as DAF and TMWTGG, with safari suits, flares, glam rock and the three-day week.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

    Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 31,295Chief of Staff
    :)) :)) :))

    That's more convincing than anything Boris promises!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 17,918MI6 Agent
    edited October 2019
    It translates as 'The Enemy is Listening' according to Google Translate. That quisling Number 24 wouldn't have wanted us to know that, however! :D ;)

    Obv a very young James Bond listening in... Or is the spy the shadow - Bond in his trilby from Dr No?

    What - you needed Goolge Translate? :v :D
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 9,115MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    It translates as 'The Enemy is Listening' according to Google Translate. That quisling Number 24 wouldn't have wanted us to know that, however! :D ;)

    Obv a very young James Bond listening in... Or is the spy the shadow - Bond in his trilby from Dr No?

    What - you needed Goolge Translate? :v :D

    "Goolge Translate"? What's that for - dyslexic foreigners? :p
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

    Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 7,657MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    It translates as 'The Enemy is Listening' according to Google Translate. That quisling Number 24 wouldn't have wanted us to know that, however! :D ;)

    Obv a very young James Bond listening in... Or is the spy the shadow - Bond in his trilby from Dr No?

    What - you needed Goolge Translate? :v :D

    "Goolge Translate"? What's that for - dyslexic foreigners? :p

    Dr Google cures all ills! Or your money back!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
Sign In or Register to comment.