The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,270MI6 Agent
    edited November 2018
    I can't even be bothered with a constructive comment apart from Chis Chibnal sucks ass! X-( & clearly Alan Cummings' King James wanted to too! :s
    One thing though, the BBC are clearly listening to & acting upon the public's comments because this episode was about sentient sh*te! :D
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    I see episode 11 "It takes you away" (The Christmas special, I think) is set in a cabin in the Norwegian fjords. The quality is obviously going up :D
    I find it strange that Dr Who finds this strange: "A cottage in the winter. With a chimney, but no smoke". All cottages have chimnies, first of all. Outside of Easter and weekends people normally don't stay in their cottages, In fact I would only find no smoke a bit strange durning Easter. How on Earth can the Doctor not know about the most important thing in the universe, Norwegian cottages? ?:)
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Because it’s not the real Doctor. It’s some weird faux-Doctor. There is no Christmas special this year. People have got better things to do than watch this mess at Christmas. Even the BBC realise no one is going to watch it on that day and need to air something half way decent.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    I've just watched the first episode of season 11 and I think the Jodi Whitaker seems like a good doctor. Of course I didn't see a single Doctor Who episode until I was fourthy and I have only seen the "modern" doctors. Just like Star Trek and Star Wars isn't a part of my childhood, Doctor Who is just another fun TV series to me. I understand it's different for many others.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'm a life long Dr Who fan, I have many of the classic
    Episodes on DVD and have given up on the new Dr. :#
    It may please some but it's not for me.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    If only it was possible for people to like different TV series without starting wars over it :# :p
    Next they'll be making a politically correct, The Flashing Blade ! ;)
    https://youtu.be/7KYWOFo6SFM
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,270MI6 Agent
    And today we have flesh eating moths & an alternate universe which is a sentient talking frog! Sh*te! Sh*te! Sh*te & not to mention Sh*te! X-(
    Now I've seen "Rosa" and "it takes you away". "Rose is the first one I didn't like. Rosa Park and the civil rights movment were real hearoes and I don't mind that theme. But Dr Who has to be fun, exiting and scary and this episode wasn't it. Having Your heart in the right place isn't enough to make good entertainment.

The episode "It takes you away" was pretty good. After listening to the "Norwegian" girl talking I'm willing to make a bet: The person who decided on that accent is a "Vikings" fan and knows no real Norwegians :))
    Speaking of unconvincing Norwegian - "Dårlig Ulv" mentioned in the "Doomsday" episode in series one, I think they wanted the words for Bad Wolf in the "evil wolf" sense. That would be "Ond/stygg Ulv", but "Dårlig Ulv"means "lousy/not good wolf". :))
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    I love Jodie Whiticar as The Doctor, classic case of right actress at the right time.
    The writing does veer between twee and simplistic, but Ms Whitickar and Co are getting better material than Mr Cappaldi did. (The way he was underused was criminal!)

Rosa worked for me. Yes Dr Who is usually fund, but both the Origial series and the continuarion have had very Serious and sad stories too. The first one about Rose Tyler's Dad and the last one to feature Donna Noble weren't a barrel of laughs. Nor was rhe one with John Simm's Master enslaving The Doctor.

No 24 don't worry. They never get Scottish accents right either! The only episode that has done so was the one featuring Pauline Collins as Queen Victoria. (Not counting Mr McCoy, Tennant and Capaldi of course!)

The only thing I disliked about the Norway house, is they keep dragging back Graham's wife. This is a very old and tired Sci Fi trope. The sad fact is when we loose people, we loose them. Regurgitating them in front of our characters breaks the illusion.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    The streaming service BritBox is showing loads of classic
    Dr Who episodes from Boxing day. It's free for the first
    Month, so an easy way to re-acquaint yourself with this
    Television icon.
    I've recently bought all the new who box sets on Amazon
    And goigle play, at bargain prices at the moment.
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    I've recently bought all the new who box sets on Amazon .

Are the boxes bigger on the inside? :D
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Seeing some recent posts on this thread today (albeit about classic Who) isn’t it quite telling how long it’s been since the last post before these? :#
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    It's only one perception of Time ;)
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Doctor Who has never been a programme I'm interested in (not a fan of sci-fi stuff) but apparently the New Year's Day special is called Dr Who Meets Bond and has a bit of a Bond theme, so I think I'll give it a go.
    I'm enjoying watching the classic Dr Who episodes on Britbox {[] so many memories
    from my childhood, great to see Jon Pertwee again, after all these years.
    Spyfall part two ? ..... bloody awful ! :#
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I was visiting my dad (almost 89) last week, and he came across one of the Whitaker episodes. Dad has never been in any way, shape, or form a Whovian--having been raised on "hard" science fiction from Asimov, Clarke, et. al., "Who" has always been juvenile to him--but he had a great observation: "The show seems to have lost its sense of humor."
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • 005005 Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    So this season is no better.

Weakest Master, Doctor, and companions. Weakest plots and Tardis design. Poorest humour.

The only thing this iteration has going for it is the way its shot looks better.

That's it. New showrunner please.
    I'm so disappointed in the new Master, his introduction in
    Pt 1 was great. Then with pt2 he turned into a whining
    Teenager !
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Who is playing the Master? I’ve not seen these episodes yet but not concerned about spoilers, not much to spoil really is there?

Frankly I’m struggling to get through her first season so far and I’m continually amazed in the overall dip in quality of the series...
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    According to reports this will be Jodie's last series as
    The Doctor is to return to being Male. A name has been
    Mentioned as the next Dr.
  • MarkOOMarkMarkOOMark Posts: 91MI6 Agent
    A name has been
    Mentioned as the next Dr.

Who :))

It's a shame Jodie didn't succeed, as I think she's a very good actor, but the material (on the whole) and the way the character has been presented has let her, and the show, down. A darker tone like Eccleston's (with some good humor) would have been far better, rather than the silly, often vacant Jodie.
    I'm one who has given up on the show, but I watched this weeks episode due to hype.
    In my opinion it was better that many of Jodie's adventures, as they basically got rid of the companions, cut down on the virtue singling speeches, and I enjoyed Jo Martin's " character " perhaps if she'd been cast instead of Jodie, I'd still be watching. :D
    I haven't seen all of Jodie's episodes, but of the ones I've seen "Rosa" is the one that delivers the message in the most heavy-handed way. There's nothing wrong with good intentions, but in Doctor Who messages has to be delivered in a fun way.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I've been calling the show "Dr. Woke."
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    I bet no-one gets tired of you saying that... ;)
    I think Moffat and Gattis like big changes and big messages too much. At first I liked Sherlock better than Elementary, but not any more. In Sherlock the story has to be about blowing up Parliament, Elementary is still content solving a clever murder.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I think Moffat and Gattis like big changes and big messages too much. At first I liked Sherlock better than Elementary, but not any more. In Sherlock the story has to be about blowing up Parliament, Elementary is still content solving a clever murder.

They haven't worked on it for two years.
    I haven't really watched it in about two years, so that makes sense,