Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• bosoxfanbosoxfan Posts: 611MI6 Agent
    Anybody find a decent alternative for Madelyn's Matera red dress?
    KH
  • cmdr_bongcmdr_bong AustraliaPosts: 202MI6 Agent
    Wore my Maden wax canvas jacket (Rogue territory Supply jacket alternative) out in the rain today. The jacket was relatively water repelling. Noticed a mix of water-beading and water soaking through the material. But the biggest problem I'd noticed was that when the water droplet dried it left marks on the material itself.
    82484472-2659601237457703-5442416664379392000-n.jpg

It's not such a big deal for me as IMHO it adds to the rugged character of the jacket. But for those who are thinking of getting one I thought you should know this ahead of time.
    bosoxfan wrote:
    I bought the j crew they are identical and are made by astorflex, I have not done it yet but I looked into it and you can dye suede pretty easily. So if you hit them 50 percent off like I did, I paid a little over 50 usd and 10-15usd for dyes and supply. Some time spent you could get darn close I’d suspect.
    ?

Did you purchase the anchor grey or stone with the intent of dying them? when do you plan to dye them? Would love to see the finished product.

My J. Crews came today, wow they really seem comfortable and look very nice, I'm going to take them to a professional tomorrow to see how dying them would work.
  • Martin AstonMartin Aston LondonPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    Anyone looking for an affordable alternative to the MA Duster coat should have a look at ASOS https://www.asos.com/prd/13238342?acquisitionsource=pasteboard
  • JB1106340JB1106340 Posts: 434MI6 Agent
    Great affordable alternative for the Rogue Territory jacket. Jacket is a small and fits nice and snug. The retail price on this item is $198 but it’s selling for £80 ($104) so if anyone is interested give me a shout. I thought this would be the best thread for it as we’re all looking for affordable alternatives!

443-F5-B5-A-94-AE-43-DF-B8-CB-C72-F1-C5545-A9.png
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    Greetings from New York! Well, after 2 months of complete and total chaos, I'm finally getting settled in the new home. Still waiting on an internet connection and 42 boxes are arriving tomorrow (there goes the weekend :s ). But overall things have been going pretty smoothly for the first 2 weeks.

I'll be getting back to IA next week and I'm damn excited to get rolling again on the site instead of assembling new furniture and cutting up giant cardboard boxes. Hope everyone is doing great!

Cheers all!
    John
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    Greetings from New York! Well, after 2 months of complete and total chaos, I'm finally getting settled in the new home. Still waiting on an internet connection and 42 boxes are arriving tomorrow (there goes the weekend :s ). But overall things have been going pretty smoothly for the first 2 weeks.

I'll be getting back to IA next week and I'm damn excited to get rolling again on the site instead of assembling new furniture and cutting up giant cardboard boxes. Hope everyone is doing great!

Cheers all!
    John

Great to hear, and congrats on the move! And even happier to have you nearby!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:

Thanks and I'm looking forward to finally meeting up, Matt! I'll let you know the next time I head into the city and maybe we can grab a drink!
    canoe2 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Thanks and I'm looking forward to finally meeting up, Matt! I'll let you know the next time I head into the city and maybe we can grab a drink!

Most definitely!
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Welcome back John! Glad the move’s been going well -{
  • FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:

Cheers all!
    John

Yay! Welcome back Sir - hope all is good. You have been missed.

Now...get to it...there’s work to be done! ;)
    Yes. Considerably.
    canoe2 wrote:

Cheers all!
    John

Glad the move is going well, but it will be awesome to get IA back, you have been missed for sure.
    Kelly
    Apologies if this has been posted already, but saw this as a very good alternative to the NTTD Omega watch:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIKO-5-SRPD73K1-MENS-WATCH/202898249339?epid=15034895979&hash=item2f3dad967b:g:BgwAAOSwzVdeOocz

Has anybody found it cheaper somewhere?
    K
  • NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    edited February 2020
    I was at C&A yesterday and have found this:

MVIMG-20200204-171443-154.jpgMVIMG-20200204-170942-599.jpgMVIMG-20200204-170932-887.jpgMVIMG-20200204-171027-145.jpgMVIMG-20200204-171233-073.jpgIMG-20200204-171448-107.jpg

as you can see the its out of thin corduroy and even the colour is very similar to the Matera MA Suit, Material is 100% Cotton and the whole suit is on sale and costs 60 € total which is pretty affordable.
    now two bad news:
    they have stores in nearly every european country except UK (of course).
    I have asked them if they have the suit in their online-shop but they sell this item at their stores only.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Johhhhhhhnnnn! BTW, did anyone find a good alternbative to the Brunello shirt worn with the Sloop suit...?
    bosoxfan wrote:
    Apologies if this has been posted already, but saw this as a very good alternative to the NTTD Omega watch:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIKO-5-SRPD73K1-MENS-WATCH/202898249339?epid=15034895979&hash=item2f3dad967b:g:BgwAAOSwzVdeOocz

Has anybody found it cheaper somewhere?
    K

Jomashop has this watch for 219 I believe.
    Johhhhhhhnnnn! BTW, did anyone find a good alternbative to the Brunello shirt worn with the Sloop suit...?

Davvvv ... id! :D

Blue button down shirt is one of the first things I'll be working on. Although DB6 mentioned a couple of options one page back.

Quick question: for the Maden waxed trucker jacket, how much did everyone size up by? I'm a medium/40 suit jacket in almost everything. Not sure if I need a large or XL since I'm right in the middle between those two on the sizing chart.

Cheers!
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:

Blue button down shirt is one of the first things I'll be working on. Although DB6 mentioned a couple of options one page back.

Quick question: for the Maden waxed trucker jacket, how much did everyone size up by? I'm a medium/40 suit jacket in almost everything. Not sure if I need a large or XL since I'm right in the middle between those two on the sizing chart.

Cheers!

Hi John,

Welcome back.

I am usually a large/41-42. I sized up one size to a XL in the Maden.

Maden-Jacket-XL.jpg

My XL has a chest width from pit to pit of just under 22 inches and a shoulder width of 19 inches. The outer arm is 25 inches. Back length from bottom of collar to hem is 24.5 inches. A tad longer than the Maden size chart.

I had ordered the XL and XXL from Amazon. The XXL was huge on me. I was able to use a 50% off coupon for the XL so it was $22 + tax. Looks like Amazon won't be restocked until mid-March.
    Does anyone have additional details on the Tom Ford NTTD white cocktail cuff shirt? I'm going to try to replicate it from a company called Cerise, is the back flat or does it have side pleats? I'm guessing no front pocket, any other details are greatly appreciated.
    Kelly
    bosoxfan wrote:
    Does anyone have additional details on the Tom Ford NTTD white cocktail cuff shirt? I'm going to try to replicate it from a company called Cerise, is the back flat or does it have side pleats? I'm guessing no front pocket, any other details are greatly appreciated.
    Kelly

All have Craig's shirt so far have had side darts and no pleats. Never a pocket.
  • Mr FlodopMr Flodop Berkshire, UKPosts: 41MI6 Agent

This is the best I’ve found, right down to the weave.
    https://johnhenric.com/uk/shirts/blue-denim-shirt-oakland
    - Adam
  • SevenSeven Posts: 346MI6 Agent
    Noi wrote:

MVIMG-20200204-171443-154.jpgMVIMG-20200204-170942-599.jpgMVIMG-20200204-170932-887.jpgMVIMG-20200204-171027-145.jpgMVIMG-20200204-171233-073.jpgIMG-20200204-171448-107.jpg

as you can see the its out of thin corduroy and even the colour is very similar to the Matera MA Suit, Material is 100% Cotton and the whole suit is on sale and costs 60 € total which is pretty affordable.
    now two bad news:
    I have asked them if they have the suit in their online-shop but they sell this item at their stores only.

Great find. Thank you.
    It IS very close to the MA`s cloth, color and cut.
    Main difference being the missing ticket pocket and third button.

IMG-9147.jpg

IMG-9148.jpg

IMG-9149.jpg

I might have secured a spare one in jacket size 50, trousers size 48 or 50.
    Best regards,
    IMG-9174.jpg

IMG-9175.jpg
  • NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    ooooh the suit fits you really well! the whole frugal outfit (except the drakes?) does! you have a good eye.
    I think the 3rd main difference is the narrow collar, I did not buy it so thank you for the direct comparison

just want to mention that I'm searching for a frugal alternative for the TF Jamaica-Jeans even if they are going to re-release them I will never ever spending $900-1000 on a jeans. so if anybody find a good alternativ I would be very thankful :)
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    I'm usually an XL and went up to an XXL in the jacket.
    canoe2 wrote:

Cheers!
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • CharlesRobinsonCharlesRobinson Posts: 53MI6 Agent
    Seven wrote:
    Noi wrote:

now two bad news:

Great find. Thank you.
    It IS very close to the MA`s cloth, color and cut.
    Main difference being the missing ticket pocket and third button.

IMG-9147.jpg

IMG-9148.jpg

IMG-9149.jpg

I might have secured a spare one in jacket size 50, trousers size 48 or 50.
    Best regards,
    IMG-9174.jpg

IMG-9175.jpg

That suit looks brilliant on you, light enough to wear in hot weather?
  • SevenSeven Posts: 346MI6 Agent
    Thank you for your comments.
    Yes, it is as light as the MA, only the jacket being lined.
    Trousers have no lining and as Esq. Noi remarked, the cloth - apart from lining etc. - is 100% cotton.
    Best regards,
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 672MI6 Agent
    Here in the USA I'm guessing the best chance of getting a cord suit on a budget is H&M/Forever 21/Zara?
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • JB1106340JB1106340 Posts: 434MI6 Agent
    Looking forward to the return of Iconic Alternatives. Will that be happening this week at some point?
    JB1106340 wrote:
    Looking forward to the return of Iconic Alternatives. Will that be happening this week at some point?

Thanks! This weekend or early next week I'll be ready to go. My internet is being installed tomorrow so I'll be trying to set up all our connected devices (that always goes smoothly! :D ). I unpacked my photo equipment yesterday, today I'm picking up our car, my new phone and setting up my "photo studio" in the house, Thursday I'm organizing our Bond inspired living room and hanging clothes (80% of my stuff is still in boxes). So Friday, I'll get the site ready to go again and hopefully publish on Sunday. But I'll share some pics of the new house that may interest some of you.

Cheers!
    John