Tributes Thread

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    RIP Kirk Douglas.

Was he the last of the great movie stars of the mid 20th century? I'm struggling to think of others that are still alive from that 1950s golden age.

I'm also realising that I haven't seen nearly enough of his films. I think of his 80 or so films, all I've seen are Spartacus, Paths of Glory, Gunfight at the OK Corral and The Heroes of Telemark.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    I will not join in any tribute to Kirk Douglas. Google his name and Natalie Wood.
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    I will not join in any tribute to Kirk Douglas. Google his name and Natalie Wood.

Aren’t you thinking of Robert Wagner? (allegedly)

RIP Kirk, the last of the Hollywood Golden age.
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    Today I remember his great movies, such as Spartacus and Paths of Glory. He's also the only golden age Hollywood star who made two films in my home country. The only big star from that era I know is still with us is Olivia de Havilland.

A comment on Westward Drift's post: Even if the alligations against Kirk Douglas are true it doesn't wipe his great accomplisments as an actor. I'm reminded of the author Knut Hamsund who supported Hitler (to some degree at least), but many still honour his great novels.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Musician (composer, arranger, pianist, keyboardist, synth programmer) and overall renaissance man Lyle Mays has passed away at the age of 66. He wasn't a well-known name, but his music meant a lot to me. He was best known for his contributions to the Pat Metheny Group.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,279MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Musician (composer, arranger, pianist, keyboardist, synth programmer) and overall renaissance man Lyle Mays has passed away at the age of 66. He wasn't a well-known name, but his music meant a lot to me. He was best known for his contributions to the Pat Metheny Group.

I found out about Lyle's passing yesterday. I too was a big fan of his music, both as part of the Pat Metheny Group as well as his solo projects (Street Dreams is one of my favorite albums). I was lucky enough to see him perform in person on two occasions with the PMG (I even got to sit right near his keyboard setup for The Way Up show at the Orpheum in Boston, MA) and got to say hi and what a fan I was before the show. I always kept hoping for a PMG reunion with Pat, Lyle and Steve Rodby. Sadly, that will never happen now. He was an amazing talent and an even more amazing person with a diverse set of skills and interests and seemed like a genuinely nice person. RIP.
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent

Aren’t you thinking of Robert Wagner? (allegedly)

RIP Kirk, the last of the Hollywood Golden age.

No - he's talking about Kirk Douglas in 1954.
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    Guys I have some really sad news.

Katherine Johnson, the NASA mathamatician who helped the men on the moon get there has passed away.
    She was 101.

I'm also upset to report British Astronomer, Author and Tv presenter Dr Heather Couper passed away last Tuesday after a short illness. Dr Couper was only 70.

Both ladies were kind, fun and engaging and Dr Couper's natural energy and enthusiasim made her a household name to kids in the 1980s with her inspirational encouragement to look at the stars and planets to learn and wonder.

They will both be greatly missed. :(
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent
    @ Thunderbird 2, I saw the movie Hidden Figures which was inspired by the story of Katherine Johnson and was blown away by it. Being a history major and having an interest in outer space since childhood, I really enjoyed hearing this unique story which I had not heard before. RIP to Mrs. Johnson, an important figure in the history of space exploration.
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    singer Jahn Teigen , one of very few norwegians who's very famous in Sweden too (well him , Rolv Wesenlund and Thor Heyerdahl)

Hanne Krogh : "Had he been born in UK hed been a major star"
    Jan Teigen's major claim to fame abroad (and perhaps here too) is being the first to get 0 Points in the European Song Contest.
    He was a born entertainer, had a fantastic voice and was always nice to people. Adieu.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I'm surprised no one posted on this earlier. . . we recently lost Max von Sydow, who has been in numerous films and genres and who made a contribution to the Bondiverse as Blofeld in Never Say Never Again. The great (and I mean great) actor was 90.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Several earlier comments, HB, in the Alumni Tributes thread.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    www-closeupfilmcentre-1556744320-726x388.jpg

RIP Max von Sydow.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Barbel wrote:
    Several earlier comments, HB, in the Alumni Tributes thread.

"Alumni Tributes?" Cripes, I really am slipping. . .had to look that one up! Joe Biden c'est moi.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    A bit under the radar amidst the Coronavirus pandemic, comedian Roy Hudd has died aged 83, RIP
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    So sad to hear that Smithers500, another giant of British comedy is lost. RIP Roy Hudd
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff
    RIP Roy Hudd - an oft overlooked comedy great, but not by me -{
    YNWA 97
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent
    RIP Albert Uderzo
    1927 – 2020
    artist and cocreator of Asterix

The other cocreator, writer Rene Goscinny, died way back in 1977,
    and Uderzo continued to create 10 more volumes on his own, before handing the series over to a younger team just seven years ago.
    You could tell the difference after Goscinny passed: whereas the stories Goscinny wrote had become increasingly satirical, Uderzo's own stories had a much stronger fantasy element.

Uderzo's art had a lush almost three dimensional effect, all those forest scenes surrounding the Gaulish village, and the precise architectural detail when our heroes travelled abroad.
    16473-GOSCINNY-CRAYONNE_B-e1585057613908.png
    I have so so many fond memories reading the Asterix comics. Goscinny and Uderzo were two of the greats of Europan culture after the war in my opinion.

e615e285975ae20e33d7773f93c7d2a8.jpg
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent
    is that where you found your interest in history 24?

I took a classical history course as an elective in grade 9, just because I was an Asterix fan.
    Bride of Barbel has been a huge Asterix fan since way back when (I like it, but she's a big fan). Sorry to hear about this.
    is that where you found your interest in history 24?

I took a classical history course as an elective in grade 9, just because I was an Asterix fan.

I think my interest in history comes from my father. When I was at School, studying for a history test was a matter of reading the chapter and then sitting down with him to chat about history. Asterix came later, and I think my interests in history and Asterix fed off each other. To everyone's puzzlement my father never reads Asterix.
    Oh, no. This is sad news indeed. Honour Blackman RIP :007)
    So sad but a great age, RIP
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    RIP Honour Blackman
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    RIP Honour Blackman

I was just watching a Saint episode with her in it, the other day: The Arrow of God, November 15 1962, also features Anthony Dawson
    The most iconic of all Bond girls. What a great, long life she had!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    So sad to hear this. I met her once, and got her autograph. She was still stunning.