Coronavirus

Comments

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    It amuses me that reading and talking to people, everyone has suddenly become a virusologist! Even here I see one comment here which directly contradicts what a professor of medicine was saying on the TV news only today. I know who I will believe!
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Mulan, Mission Impossble 7, Fast and furious 9, The quiet Place 2, NTTD and Antlers are among the movies that are delayed or put on hold because of Corona. Of course compared to the deaths, suffering and economic problems none of this matters (other than NTTD, of course)

John Krasinski (director of A Quiet Place Part 2/Jim from The Office) is in a identical position to Craig last week—he’s set to host SNL this weekend in part to promote a soon to be released film (Quiet Place), but it was postponed late this week, when show prep is already well underway.

Also saw on the news yesterday that Australia’s Minister for Home Affairs (essentially the Aussie version of the US Secretary of Homeland Security) has been diagnosed with Coronavirus. He was in Washington last week personally meeting with Ivanka Trump, the US Attorney-General and high level officials from the Five-Eyes intelligence community.

Then there’s also Canada’s First Lady, the UK Minister for Mental Health, Turkey’s Health Minister, and a few other high up people from around the world I can’t recall right now. Really shows that no-one’s “immune” to this epidemic.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    So now I'm affected (not infected, thank God). As a lot of you know, I'm a professor at a mid-size university; and although there have been no cases of coronavirus on our campus, in our town, or even in our part of the state, the school decided to give the students a second week of Spring Break. . .and during that week we'll decide whether or not to make the rest of the semester available online only. Also during that second week: not only will all us faculty members be on campus, but the dorms will be open, dining facilities and the library will be open, and students can still see faculty for advising! So the purpose of this is. . .?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It's all very mixed up over here ( N.Ireland ) the Republic have closed all schools,
    University's etc along with large sporting events. Up Here we're keeping Schools
    etc open, cancelling large sporting events. Yet in my home town, They've cancelled
    the St Patrick's day parade, yet are still letting the fun fares open, which will get
    large crowds ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    A good part of US cruiselines have grounded their entire fleets (with exceptions) for the next 30 - 60 days. Same with many major airlines.

Imo the right decision but it will hurt many of their employees.

My wife is working for a chinese tour operator in Hamburg who is in charge for chinese tourgroups traveling thru Europe.
    She is not working since 1st February but is getting paid 60% of her income by the public insurance.
    Her colleagues in China (some of them have been locked up in their towns) are much worse off.
    They are not working - no pay and their living costs still running.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent
    Since schools and kindergardens are closed and people are asked to work for home, we get an effect that may be uique to Norway. People move to their cabins in their thousands and many spend the days skiing. …..
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Never had so many cruise line "deal" emails in my life!!!!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    On a much more serious note: I just read hospitals in Milan, Italy, now only treat patients under 60 because of lack of breathing machines and other critical equipment. Tragic.
    In the search for the 'truth' about this disease, it is very easy to become victim of false rumours or reporting.

I believe we are all personally responsible for our actions, whether this is related to this disease or life in general, so I think it is important that we endeavour to seek out responsible reporting from the proper authorities then make judgements as to what we think is the appropraite action to protect ourselves and our families from infection and not expect to be led by others.

I do not think panic buying of toilet roll to be an appropriate response!

My wife is a caring assistant for the elderly. I believe that she will witness what this disease will do to our elders over the next weeks. For my part, I have this also in mind as I feel it is my responsibility to make sure I am not responsible for passing any infection to her which she will then pass to the elders. This was my position before the coronavirus anyway, to me it is just sensible to shield the vulnerable from disease.
    Wise words.
    Fake News is a problem this time too. There's an "Italian doctor" on Facebook who claims coffee works very well against Corona 8-)
    It looks like Sweden and the UK have less strict measures against Corona than the rest of Europe. Let's hope it works out for the best for everyone.
    While schools are open in the UK, Sweden and Finland the people in Spain (and Italy?) are not allowed to leave the house exept for work and shopping for food.
    Schools, Kindergarten etc are all closed here from Monday.

After the announcement was made on friday afternoon, shops were crowded with people and today, 30% of all goods were sold out.

We did not buy anything extra yet, but we are generally well stocked up in our basement.

The hoarding happened here too even though the transport of goods is working fine. Ironically the hoarding is the only thing that created shortage of some types of food (and toilet paper and diapers).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Metro.co.uk: London shopper mugged for toilet paper as coronavirus panic leaves shelves ransacked.
    https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/14/london-shopper-mugged-toilet-paper-12399135/?ITO=squid
    Forget about cash, Toilet paper is the new currency. I'm surprised the Government isn't
    Issuing tips on its use. Don't the army have a technique of only using one ot two sheets ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Gymkata wrote:
    I got tested on Wednesday. It's Saturday night and I STILL haven't gotten my results yet to know if I have it or not. This is patently ridiculous.

You'll be fine. And I read somewhere that analyzing the tests takes many days.
    Live in the Falklands.

Its still Tourist / Cruise Ship season here and on a good day the population doubles when they come ashore so many concerns - this is now coming to an end with the ship companies own cancellation policy but maybe its been too late.

No testing here at our hospital whatsoever so I guess nobody will know for sure at this point if they have it!

Flights in and out to / from South America twice per week still open so everybody expecting its only a matter of time. Some idiots starting to bulk buy Toilet Roll (we only have 2 supermarkets in the entire islands and a few tiny convenience shops)
    It is reported here that Mr. Trump and his administration are putting enormous sums of money on the table to get exclusive access to Tuebingen based CureVac company - or have them moving to the US entirely
    CureVac are very much advanced in developing a vaccine.

The emphasis is on „exclusive“

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    It is reported here that Mr. Trump and his administration are putting enormous sums of money on the table to get exclusive access to Tuebingen based CureVac company - or have them moving to the US entirely

It’s also been reported that Trump has ‘fast tracked’ trials of a vaccine - jumping straight from development stage to human testing…missing out the animal testing phase…
    YNWA 97
    He has no time to lose, he must get this solved until November :D
    As always, it‘s all about himself

Sir Miles wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

It’s also been reported that Trump has ‘fast tracked’ trials of a vaccine - jumping straight from development stage to human testing…missing out the animal testing phase…

At least the animal rights lot will be happy!!!

Just been to the shops - the panic buying here has already started but we only have 2 supermarkets in the country! Will end up living off the land at this rate :)
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    Some news that I've been dreading finally arrived today with the inevitability of an unloved season...the ultra-marathon that I've been training for over the recent months has been cancelled. Oh well, at least I'm now fitter than I was at the start of this process!
    Gymkata wrote:
    Tests came back negative. Just found out this morning.

Now, I can un-quarantine myself and head out into the population to actually get sick.

Congratulations! Very good news.
    Can you tell us, how much the test costed (including Dr. visit etc.), or has it been paid by an insurance?
    I am just trying to find out, if the numbers, that I‘ve been posting where accurate. Thanks!

Gymkata wrote:
    Tests came back negative. Just found out this morning.

Now, I can un-quarantine myself and head out into the population to actually get sick.

Glad to hear that!!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Good news, Gymkata.
    Bad news, Golrush007.

Next week I originally had 3 gigs, one rehearsal, and one recording session. Now only one gig (and I won't be surprised if that gets cancelled, too) + the recording session are left (not much point in the rehearsal now).
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

We did that for Ebola too, animal testing added too much delay. Having met the Army medic infected she was at a point in time where it was all or nothing. As she said when you know you are dying you have nothing to lose and everything to gain (recovery or swifter death), by the time the decision came she was nearly unconscious anyway and bleeding out.

Quite humbling really and gives you a real sense of perspective, but great to see the gamble paid off in the end - so there can be hope in the most dire of situations.

For COVID-19, Everyone needs to keep a sense of perspective and social responsibility. Basically if we all follow the guidance protecting the old and increasing personal hygiene, avoid touching your face and if you are going to cough then catch and bin it in a hanky, this will pass sooner rather than later.

My forecast however is sadly eradication will be near impossible and it is likely to return next year at least.

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
    Amid all the hype, false reporting and appetite to panic people, this clip from an NHS doctor explains (in terms even I can understand!) the British response to the disease.

It is short and well worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6tTwxzCi8&feature=youtu.be
    Higgins wrote:

Update:

CureVac will not be sold and stays in Germany.
    Main owners are Dietmar Hopp and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

CureVac announced, that they are not working exclusively for anyone, their goal is to cure on a global level and not on a national level.

Dietmar Hopp is often criticized in Germany as the owner of the football Club Hoffenheim, the accusation is that he created a retord Club which is based only in money.

Hopp remains one of Germany‘s largest donors for charity, sports and disease control.
    Hopp is the co-founder of SAP.

So the company confirms the US government wanted all the Corona medicine for the USA?

Those reports have been already confirmed by german authorities.

Our Minister of Commerce issued a statement that „Germany is not for sale“

* Do we really assume that Trump approached CureVac to get a global distribution of the vaccine? :)) :))

This discussion has been closed.