Coronavirus

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    As stated before, political discussion isn't prohibited here and given the current situation is almost unavoidable.

However, please keep the discussions impersonal and civil or take matters to PMs.
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    What do you guys think of China‘s role in this? Are there any of you blaming them or not?
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Well, China ignored for weeks that the virus was there and spreading.
    They imprisoned the Dr. who first informed about it and forced him the widthdraw.

If the recent numbers are correct ( and I have high doubts that they are), they have managed to find a way to stop new infections within weeks. And I doubt that this works.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    I think there's been some anger against the authorities inside China. When the first doctors warned about the virus they were threathened by the police for spreading "fake news". One of the doctors later died of Covid-19. If those doctors had been heard much could have been done. The sale of wild (and sometimes endangered) animals on an open market in Wuhan probably started the spread.
    So China has some responibility.
    When the Chinese leaders understood the gravity of the situation they used some hard measures. We have to remember the Communist party murdered 30-70 million Chinese during Mao's rule and the regime is still a dictatorship. People in China are used to be commanded and they know the state is brutal. This time this was an advantage and it was a success. It's harder to implement some of those measures in a democracy.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    In fact, President Trump has taken unprecedented measures to contain it. .

Okay. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/coronavirus-video-trump-pandemic-team-cut-2018-a9405191.html
    A video has emerged of Donald Trump talking about cutting the US pandemic response team in 2018 – days after claiming that he knew nothing about the disbanded White House unit.

Mr Trump said of the pandemic team that “some of the people we’ve cut they haven’t been used for many, many years and if we ever need them we can get them very quickly and rather then spending the money”.

“I’m a business person, I don’t like having thousands of people around when you don’t need them,” he added.

The US president has come under fire in recent days for his decision to disband the National Security Council directorate at the White House responsible for planning the US’s preparedness for future pandemics.

The unit had been established by the previous White House administration in 2014 after the outbreak of Ebola.

A former director of the unit, Dr Beth Cameron, used an op-ed in The Washington Post to say that “it is clear that eliminating the office has contributed to the federal government’s sluggish domestic response".

In a press conference on Friday, Mr Trump denied knowing anything about the cuts in 2018 when questioned by Yamiche Alcindor, a reporter for PBS.

After denying that his administration was responsible for any failures in the roll-out of American coronavirus testing, Alcindor had asked Mr Trump: “You said that you don’t take responsibility, but you did disband the White House pandemic office, and the officials that were working in that office left this administration abruptly. So what responsibility do you take to that?”

The US president responded by saying: “Well, I just think it’s a nasty question ...You say we did that, I don’t know anything about it.”
    So all that was neede for other members than Higgins and me to talk politics here was an epidemic. :))
    I'm a history buff and I think the last time Europe and North America had to use this strong measures because of a decease was during the Spanish Flu (1918-20). I don't really know what measures were put in place because of the Spanish Flu, but it I think it makes sense.
    Do you want to read a really heartwarming story in all of this Corona negativety and perhaps even become a part of this story?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mona-helgeland-virtual-birthday-cards_n_5e7119b0c5b60fb69ddf6037
    Gymkata wrote:
    Gymkata wrote:

That's part of it. Another big part of the problem is that the Trump administration has been pushing the whole virus thing as 'a hoax' for the past month. I'm dead serious. Add in Fox News spreading misinformation about the situation and nobody could agree on a response. As such, we're a month behind where we should be in terms of preparation. It doesn't help that the federal department that would have been able to handle this situation was gutted by the Trump administration...

It's amazing watching Trump and the Fox News team go from 'it's all a hoax being spread by libtards' to 'this is real, this is our response, and Trump is doing an amazing job and should be made God Emperor'.

In the meantime, most of the real work at containment is being done at the state level. Democrat or Republican, a lot of state governors and legislatures have stepped up and made things happen in an effort to flatten the curve. We'll see how it all shakes out.

The Trump Administration has never once called this Pandemic a "hoax". He called "the Russia Probe" a hoax. And it turned out he was right. In fact, President Trump has taken unprecedented measures to contain it. Instantly shutting down travel to China and then Europe. The fact that you say that you watch CNN, means you lose credibility. Time after time, they report stories that are PROVEN to be false. Rewind a few months ago, No one had even heard of this disease and how quickly it was spreading. The main problem is that China is a communist country and they heavily filter and limit media and social media, and they kept the severity of this disease hidden from the rest of the world. I don't see you blaming China?
    What about Italy? It's 10X worse off than the US right now, I don't see you blaming President Sergio Mattarella for their current situation.

This is a Pandemic. A horrible virus. Period. You're obviously a Trump-hater and an opportunist. I find it offensive that you would use this to spread your political bias, propaganda. You should be ashamed.

This disease is affecting the entire world. President Trump didn't cook this Virus up in a lab. He's not the source of all evil. It's time for people to put their hate and personal vendettas aside, and it's time for bipartisanship and real solutions.

Whatever.

His 'unprecedented measures' are indeed on point but they're coming too late. We should have been doing this a month ago but he and his administration kept calling this an overreaction from the Dems.

Looking at the metrics and the way that the virus is ramping up/spreading, we're about 10 days/2 weeks behind Italy. Hopefully the measures which have finally been taken will ease things down for us but we'll see what happens.

and you can go pound sand. I make a point of watching various new sources. If you're going to slam CNN and then not comment on what you watch, then you have no credibility with me. Live in your gaslighted little Fox News bubble.

Gymkata, I said a few posts above to keep matters impersonal and civil. I'll cut you some slack and take it that you missed my post. Take things to PM if you must.
    Fair enough.
    edited March 2020
    I just found this hundred year old photo of a man who is refused entry into a city tram because he isn't wearing a mask. This was during the Spanish flu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu#/media/File:165-WW-269B-11-trolley-l.jpg
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    This whole panic buying thing is crazy. I am an employee of a small, family owned (not my family) grocery store. We've been getting plenty of the panic buying shoppers. But whats being shown on social media, and some news broadcasts is very different from what I've been seeing. There's no fights in our store. Many customers have thanked me for working and being there for them. Most have given me well wishes to stay healthy. I've also seen the customers with overflowing carts, invite other customers with smaller purchases to cut the line in front of them. Sure you might see a fight on social media over a roll of toilet paper. But that's one store in a very big country and probably only lasted a few seconds. There's many good people out there, just trying to make the best of a situation that's getting bad. Just remember, stay calm, thank your local grocery clerk and don't hoard the toilet paper. If we run out of toilet paper, does anybody really know how the three seashells works?

P.S., if your curious, I live and work in San Mateo County in the San Francisco Bay Area.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent

The Trump Administration has never once called this Pandemic a "hoax"....

Is that so?

"Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
    The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant. Surgeon General, “The risk is low to the average American.”

1:20 PM - Mar 9, 2020"

I don't have the prowess to attach tweets so you have to go look for your self for the real tweet.
    But that is IMHO quite damning.
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    edited March 2020
    0591f14129.jpg

Additionally, here are some of his quotes from the last weeks:

“We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

“By April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away.”

“The Obama Administration made a decision on testing that turned out to be detrimental to what we’re doing . . . ”

“We’re going very substantially down, not up. . . . We have it so well under control. I mean, we really have done a very good job.”

“As of right now and yesterday, anybody that needs a test [can have one], that’s the thing, and the tests are all perfect, like the letter was perfect—the transcription was perfect.”

“They would like to have the people come off [the Grand Princess cruise ship, off the coast of California]. I would like to have the people stay. . . . Because I like the numbers being where they are.”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/trump-in-the-time-of-the-coronavirus

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Perhaps, just perhaps, those who spend time at the keyboard might think that their time could be used more wisely actually attempting to make a difference in this crisis to those of our society who are the most at risk from the virus?

For a long time I have been involved in community projects with my church to help the elders among us. Now the church has extended this project. We volunteers will not only visit to tend to the gardens of the elderly, but we are now going to carry out other duties for the elderly and vulnerable who need help. The organisers have been in contact with the community and we will now offer to collect shopping or run other errands for the people who must self isolate. We are also going to make telephone calls to these people who are lonely as a result for a talk.

My wife and myself work long hours but we will fit these duties in while they are needed.

So, if you are not already, or have not considered it, why not contact your neighbours who are alone or sick and vulnerable through age and offer to help them. It will make a difference. Even a five minute telephone call for those who consider themselves too busy will bring relief to those who are lonely.
    edited March 2020
    NTNU Trondheim, sort of our CalTec, sent E-mails to their enrolled students who are abroad. The mail had travel for the students conserning Covid-19. The mail said: «This applies if you are staying in a country with poorly developed health services and infrastructure and/or collective infrastructure, for example the USA.» :))
    I partly agree with spending more time to visit/contact others.

However there is another disease going around which is lying, downplaying and false information.
    It‘s important to correct these right on the spot and to show resistance.

We need to make sure that facts win, the truth wins and that scientists get a voice and those who have been downplaying all this are held responsible.

Scientific facts may be far less enraging or less exciting than the usual loudmouths and chestbeaters, but they must get heard.

Joshua wrote:
    Perhaps, just perhaps, those who spend time at the keyboard might think that their time could be used more wisely actually attempting to make a difference in this crisis to those of our society who are the most at risk from the virus?

I am. My current posting is such, that it very much involves taking part in trying to keep our nation safe even in a health crisis like the current one. I just happen to be pulling my weight in front of a keyboard.
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Higgins wrote:
    I partly agree with spending more time to visit/contact others.

However there is another disease going around which is lying, downplaying and false information.
    It‘s important to correct these right on the spot and to show resistance.

We need to make sure that facts win, the truth wins and that scientists get a voice and those who have been downplaying all this are held responsible.

Scientific facts may be far less enraging or less exciting than the usual loudmouths and chestbeaters, but they must get heard.

This is true, well spoken, sir!
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    That's a very good post, Joshua. We just have to make it clear that people need to avoid actually visiting the elderly in their houses since the old have a greater risk of dying from covid-19. Phoning them, mowing their lawns and helping them get the groceries is much better.
    If the duties of speaking to a few hundred people on the internet satisfies the individual that he or she is actively contributing against the effects of the virus then I am not going to argue. Perhaps the individual should consider extending the activism into their own communities by reaching out to people (who do not have the internet) and offering them practical assistance.

It only my humble opinion of course, but as far as I am concerned a smiling face of gratitude on the doorstep is worth as much as a thousand internet posts.

I withdraw from this conversation and leave you to your own duties. This is my day off and my own duty will consist of helping people in the community.

Have a healthy day.
    Number24 wrote:
    That's a very good post, Joshua. We just have to make it clear that people need to avoid actually visiting the elderly in their houses since the old have a greater risk of dying from covid-19. Phoning them, mowing their lawns and helping them get the groceries is much better.

Yes, I agree and I thank you for pointing this out. Even a telephone conversation with some one (even while on the computor) who now feels scared or lonely will make a difference in this crisis.
    Joshua wrote:
    If the duties of speaking to a few hundred people on the internet satisfies the individual that he or she is actively contributing against the effects of the virus then I am not going to argue. Perhaps the individual should consider extending the activism into their own communities by reaching out to people (who do not have the internet) and offering them practical assistance.

Would you call government crisis management "contributing against the effects of the virus" or "practical assistance"?
    What about the efforts of the first responders and health officials?

You can of course believe what you want, but the current crisis the entire population of the world is facing, will not be resolved with bovine excrement and warm and fluffy feelings, but with hard measures and proven science.

If this pandemic were just a matter of belief, it could be resolved with a song and a prayer!

I just BURN UP!! With all the false information that is spread in the interwebs. Every single piece of factually incorrect rumor that is spread around puts someone in potential mortal danger!
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Yup!

And in an even larger pic: the few (government critical) media in the US and the UK are under constant attack! By democratically elected leaders!

If they succeed, we‘ll end up with far less democracy in the future because leaders can do what they want - uncalled.

Being James Bond has replied to recent comments here, mentioning and quoting Number24. He's complimentary towards AJB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApKbo5f4st4
    I'm strangely proud of of being quoted on a podcast. Other than a couple of questions on TheBondExperience's AJB Q & A this hasn't happened before. I'm only going to comment that I think it's natural that he talks about Covid-19 because it's influencing our lives and NTTD a lot. I'm only asking him to be careful about talking about the medical side of the issue without checking more. The podcast watched by a lot of people and there's misinformation and downplaying of what Covid-19 can do. We all have a responsibility.
    I think his podcast is good, that's why I watch it. :)
    On other Covid-19 news I read Billie Eilish is delaying her consert tour because of the epidemic. This is a wise move, but also probably good for NTTD. Hopefully she will be touring and singing NTTD to masses of young fans around the time the movie is being shown in cinemas.
    0073 wrote:
    Joshua wrote:

Would you call government crisis management "contributing against the effects of the virus" or "practical assistance"?
    What about the efforts of the first responders and health officials?

You can of course believe what you want, but the current crisis the entire population of the world is facing, will not be resolved with bovine excrement and warm and fluffy feelings, but with hard measures and proven science.

If this pandemic were just a matter of belief, it could be resolved with a song and a prayer!

I just BURN UP!! With all the false information that is spread in the interwebs. Every single piece of factually incorrect rumor that is spread around puts someone in potential mortal danger!

0073. Am I to take it that you are directly involved in government crisis management and/or you are a first responder or health official? Is that your own contribution to the crisis? I am greatly interested to hear and look forward to you clarifying this for me.

If you are part of your government response or the health services then I will be the first to apologise for causing you some offence because what you are doing is indeed very important. I also thank you sincerely for allowing me the privilege of ‘believing what I want’ and of course it goes without saying that I defend your right to ‘believe what you want’.

However, if you are just a medical/scientific layperson who has taken to the internet to ‘protest’ against disinformation, could you please explain how many lives you propose to save as a result? I’m minded to believe that most people who are vulnerable to this virus will not read AJB or other internet forums.

Please, seeing as you appear to take exception to my own efforts, could you enlighten me as to what is so bad about actually going out into the community to help the vulnerable? Also please enlighten me as to the benefits of politicising the effects of the virus? Helping to halt the spread of fake news I can understand, but at this stage who is to say what is fake or not in the first place? I may be wrong but it appears to me that here it is a matter of personal (and it seems political) opinion rather sound medical knowledge which is driving certain posters output here. I also most respectfully suggest that sights can be set in this instance to a shorter range to identify those in need within communities, people who need action of the basic kind not words on internet forums? The political blame game can come when the full facts emerge. Until then people are taking a grain of salt and adding to it to make a cup and in so doing creating their own ‘fake news’. Even the best intentioned – unless they are at the very centre of the health organisations – cannot seriously believe they know what is happening with this virus and expect other people to listen to their advice.
    Here is some news from the doorstep today. For those with a political agenda, please feel free to call it fake news!

One of the people my church is going to help has just been advised by the NHS phone call to self isolate for three months. He has not got the virus but is in the most at risk category. He has a daughter who is mentally handicapped and she is also at risk and has to stay at home for that same time. We will be taking shopping to them as and when they need it. The system as he explained to my pastor is that he has been given a help line number. If he requires his prescriptions they will deliver. If he needs shopping they will arrange for it to be sent. This is not a martial law thing, he is advised not forced, but he is acting on the advice.

I wonder if also people in the UK have also been receiving text messages on their mobile phones from the NHS with help and advice? I have. I am not in the at risk category.
    Corona is more serious than we thought. European Song Contest 2020 won't happen :))
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Corona is more serious than we thought. European Song Contest 2020 won't happen :))

I don’t see the problem... ;)

But guys, I‘m genuinely curious about how this situation is in your respective area: Like the rest of Germany, we‘re strongly advised to reduce social contacts and going out to the absolute minimum here around Munich.

Yet still, there are plenty of people wo still sit at the Isar-banks drinking wine or in the english garden eating ice cream in large gatherings like nothing is going on atm. Quite some people even call Corona a hoax and are very frank about not giving a sh!t about it.

Is this dumb ignorance a local or a global phenomenon?

Curious about your experiences.
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
This discussion has been closed.