Coronavirus

Comments

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Corona is more serious than we thought. European Song Contest 2020 won't happen :))

I don’t see the problem... ;)

But guys, I‘m genuinely curious about how this situation is in your respective area: Like the rest of Germany, we‘re strongly advised to reduce social contacts and going out to the absolute minimum here around Munich.

Yet still, there are plenty of people wo still sit at the Isar-banks drinking wine or in the english garden eating ice cream in large gatherings like nothing is going on atm. Quite some people even call Corona a hoax and are very frank about not giving a sh!t about it.

Is this dumb ignorance a local or a global phenomenon?

Curious about your experiences.

It has just been announced that all schools are to close indefinitely in the UK. They will have the last day on Friday. The children of 'key' workers will still be able to send their children to school. This closure also is for nursery and private schools.

As I do not drink alcohol I cannot report the situation in the pubs. The high street of the local town is still busy and the supermarkets very much so. I have noticed one or two people covering their faces with scarfes and many more wearing gloves. I think the hoarders are more concerned with getting toilet rolls than exposing them selves to close contact with other people! I have not personally heard anyone saying that it is a hoax, but some people saying it is flu, and even more claiming they had it in December!

Although the government are advising against it, many of these children will now most likely be cared for by grand parents. The young with the vulnerable.
  • FrigilianaFrigiliana Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    I think one of the most sobering statistics i heard from one of the team flanking the UK Prime Minister was " If we can keep deaths under 20,000 we'll be doing well " .
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Not sure if my offer is obsolete or not.

In Germany for the last 3 weeks, there was an extreme shortage for facial masks.
    Today, 2 of my suppliers from China have offered me facial masks in larger quantities, but I don‘t want to start this field for my company.

However, if someone works for a hospital or a Dr. that has an extreme shortage in facial masks, they should please get in touch with me and I‘ll organise masks for them at cost.

The masks will be made in China and must be transported from there ( presumably by air or express).

I don‘t want to help anyone who is looking only to make a quick buck, serious enquiries only, please

Thanks!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    edited March 2020
    What country are we talking about?
    Any country who needs them.

• AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Corona is more serious than we thought. European Song Contest 2020 won't happen :))

But guys, I‘m genuinely curious about how this situation is in your respective area: Like the rest of Germany, we‘re strongly advised to reduce social contacts and going out to the absolute minimum here around Munich.

Yet still, there are plenty of people wo still sit at the Isar-banks drinking wine or in the english garden eating ice cream in large gatherings like nothing is going on atm. Quite some people even call Corona a hoax and are very frank about not giving a sh!t about it.

It has just been announced that all schools are to close indefinitely in the UK. They will have the last day on Friday. The children of 'key' workers will still be able to send their children to school. This closure also is for nursery and private schools.

As I do not drink alcohol I cannot report the situation in the pubs. The high street of the local town is still busy and the supermarkets very much so. I have noticed one or two people covering their faces with scarfes and many more wearing gloves. I think the hoarders are more concerned with getting toilet rolls than exposing them selves to close contact with other people! I have not personally heard anyone saying that it is a hoax, but some people saying it is flu, and even more claiming they had it in December!

Although the government are advising against it, many of these children will now most likely be cared for by grand parents. The young with the vulnerable.

The kids are a good point, Joshua.
    Here locally, the schools are closed for the next five weeks minimum. Kids were/ are advised to stay in. But I see a lot of kids in my town playing, going to town and lurking around at the train station and everywhere getting drunk and treating the situation line they’re on holiday. The parents are equally stupid for not doing what’s right now.

And not to get another discussion stated or throwing this one over board, but: I find it very funny that our youngsters allegedly are sensitive enough to fully understand the whole climate change-thing and participate in FFF-marches, where we adults should listen to them.

Yet, now with the Corona-crisis, they’re behaving like...well...children, that have a free holiday.
    To me, that shows that very few of these young climate-protesters actually stand behind their idea rather than just having a day off of school.
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    Frigiliana wrote:
    I think one of the most sobering statistics i heard from one of the team flanking the UK Prime Minister was " If we can keep deaths under 20,000 we'll be doing well " .

What country are you from?
    I can only speak for the kids that I know and all of them support Greta and all of them are taking the Corona threat very seriously.

The few who are seen doing corona - parties are in the absolute minority, but tey are getting most attention on social media and not the well behaved kids...

The kids are a good point, Joshua.
    Here locally, the schools are closed for the next five weeks minimum. Kids were/ are advised to stay in. But I see a lot of kids in my town playing, going to town and lurking around at the train station and everywhere getting drunk and treating the situation line they’re on holiday. The parents are equally stupid for not doing what’s right now.

This is what I expect to see also - not getting drunk as much as not being kept in check by parents. I am talking children up to teenage years. They will be out merrily spreading the virus if they are carrying it.
    Frigiliana wrote:

I am sorry, but unless you can provide video evidence of this being said I will write this post off as fake news and suggest that others do the same.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Joshua wrote:
    Frigiliana wrote:

I am sorry, but unless you can provide video evidence of this being said I will write this post off as fake news and suggest that others do the same.

It’s NOT fake news...and 20,000 deaths is a conservative estimate...I work for the NHS and the figures being mentioned are FAR in excess of that...
    YNWA 97
    Thanks Sir Miles i've been trawling the BBC to find the quote for Joshua but can't find it but both myself and my wife heard it .
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Frigiliana wrote:
    Thanks Sir Miles i've been trawling the BBC to find the quote for Joshua but can't find it but both myself and my wife heard it .

I think Barbel deserves the credit - as usual ;%
    YNWA 97
    Correct
    Frigiliana wrote:
    Correct

Then I offer my apologies.
    Accepted Joshua .
    Thank you, Sir Miles. {[]
    Sir Miles wrote:

It’s NOT fake news...and 20,000 deaths is a conservative estimate...I work for the NHS and the figures being mentioned are FAR in excess of that...

Are you having any numbers for Germany?
    And what is the consensus in the NHS?
    Has valuable time being lost because the leaders basically ignored it until last week and believed too long in Patrick Vallance‘s herd immunity theory?

Higgins wrote:
    Has valuable time being lost because the leaders basically ignored it until last week and believed too long in Patrick Vallance‘s herd immunity theory?

Perhaps this may be of interest- https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/18/coronavirus-uk-expert-advice-wrong
    Thanks Barbel.
    I guess that the

„cannot seriously believe they know what is happening with this virus and expect other people to listen to their advice.“

Can be put to rest.....

Mrs. Merkel just addressed the nation about Corona.

The message could not be clearer!
    It‘s serious and we should all comply

Having heard the recent statements from the UK and UK leaders, I can see a stark contrast.

Has anyone managed to find the speech with english subtitles to link here?

• ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    edited March 2020
    USA has higher population to account for higher cases than Germany, Mr. Higgins. Divide the number of cases by the area's population. USA: 300 million / 7,500 cases. Germany: 80 million / 12,000. So almost double the cases with 1/4 the population. USA also has lower population density overall, with 3 overpopulated states making up 90% of the cases (Washington, NY, Cali).

People in their basement on youtube were calling this a pandemic back in january and they got mocked, called doomsday preppers. Merkel looking like Violet Bouregard, the girl who turned into the fat blueberry on Willy Wonka. She held open the flood gates. All these world leaders are coming out of the woodwork to save face months after they let the virus into their countries. Now they are telling people not to buy more than a week worth of food. Good luck with that. Fortunately I have a freezer full of dead animals so I didn't have to prepare at all, but even I bought $300 of non perishables 2 months ago.

Here is the last 5 daily reports in my state: 26 cases, 39, 59, 73, 98. Despite more government intervention it doubles every 2 days. Should've shut down the schools, borders, etc, months ago. Too little too late. People in Wuhan dropping like flies and nobody cares until it hits home.

Well, there are so many simplifications, shallowness and lack of knowledge, not sure if I should reply at all

USA has higher population to account for higher cases than Germany, Mr. Higgins.

Who‘d have thought this!

Divide the number of cases by the area's population. USA: 300 million / 7,500 cases. Germany: 80 million / 12,000. So almost double the cases with 1/4 the population. USA also has lower population density overall, with 3 overpopulated states making up 90% of the cases (Washington, NY, Cali).

Ever wondered, if the numbers in the US (in total/compared to population) are a result of the lack of testing and testing kits?
    It certainly is not as simple as you imply and Trump said some days ago, that his main goal was not to get the numbers up when the situation arose in the cruiseship.

We could speculate, how many undetected Corona cases are in the US „under the radar“ and that number should make you uncomfortable.
    Merkel looking like Violet Bouregard, the girl who turned into the fat blueberry on Willy Wonka.

Right on the spot I have many unflattering Willy Wonka comparisons for the leaders of the UK and US in mind, but this should be not a topic in a political discussion. Unless you are avoiding it with such tangents.

Ever wondered why Trump ignored and downplayed the threat and kept the borders open with little exceptions?
    She held open the flood gates. All these world leaders are coming out of the woodwork to save face months after they let the virus into their countries. Now they are telling people not to buy more than a week worth of food. Good luck with that. Fortunately I have a freezer full of dead animals so I didn't have to prepare at all, but even I bought $300 of non perishables 2 months ago.

Great for you! Hope that you have been considerate to the elder lady who was after you in the supermarket and needed to buy something with her little pension.

Here is the last 5 daily reports in my state: 26 cases, 39, 59, 73, 98. Despite more government intervention it doubles every 2 days. Should've shut down the schools, borders, etc, months ago. Too little too late. People in Wuhan dropping like flies and nobody cares until it hits home.

That just shows, how shallow your knowledge about pandemics is.
    This virus does not stop at borders and border controls and we just see how difficult it is to lock up free societies.

To us, it was clear since January, that the Virus would come to us.
    And our leaders have kept us informed and informed us competently and Honestly.
    The current measures and their timing are to avoid overload of our hospitals in the next 14 days And you could know that, if you‘d read a bit on the topic.

edited March 2020
    Just to add to the „Closing borders“ argument.

Trump is constantly chestbeating that he has stopped flights from China early.

So,

- chinese tourists came by plane via Dubai, Canada, South America the UK and Europe and so on.
    - Chinese Tourists still came in on cruiseships and via the open border in Canada.
    - Many rich Chinese simply bought US citizenships in the last years for themselfs and their families by investing a minimum amount of $ in the US. *
    So legally they are US citizens and you could not stop them on the border on their way back from China.

Just shows, that the topic is far more complex than a simple and Populist measure.

* just google EB5 Visa

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

I live in San Mateo, CA in the San Francisco Bay Area. As of Tuesday and Wednesday, all nine Bay Area counties are implementing a "shelter in place" Only people who are considered essential workers should be traveling on the roadway. All non-essential business are to close. You are allowed to go for walks and make trips to the grocery store and pharmacy (both considered essential businesses) but respect social distancing which is a space of 6 feet between people. I've seen many police on the road. They aren't really enforcing from what I can tell, just making their presence known. From our news broadcasts (also considered essential workers) they are showing most people are respecting the shelter in place order. Restaurants are staying open, but for delivery and take out only, unless they can keep people seated more than 6 feet apart. Most can't do this, so its pick up and delivery only. So far, lots oof restaurants are losing business because of this. Theres also something else in the shelter in place order about no more than 50 people in a space at once. Not exactly sure how that works are what the size of the business can be to allow more than 50 people in. Basically, stores have to control the flow of people in so it doesn't get overcrowded. I'm sure theres more that I'm missing.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Higgins wrote:

Well, there are so many simplifications, shallowness and lack of knowledge, not sure if I should reply at all

USA has higher population to account for higher cases than Germany, Mr. Higgins.

Who‘d have thought this!

Divide the number of cases by the area's population. USA: 300 million / 7,500 cases. Germany: 80 million / 12,000. So almost double the cases with 1/4 the population. USA also has lower population density overall, with 3 overpopulated states making up 90% of the cases (Washington, NY, Cali).

Ever wondered, if the numbers in the US (in total/compared to population) are a result of the lack of testing and testing kits?
    It certainly is not as simple as you imply and Trump said some days ago, that his main goal was not to get the numbers up when the situation arose in the cruiseship.

We could speculate, how many undetected Corona cases are in the US „under the radar“ and that number should make you uncomfortable.
    Merkel looking like Violet Bouregard, the girl who turned into the fat blueberry on Willy Wonka.

Right on the spot I have many unflattering Willy Wonka comparisons for the leaders of the UK and US in mind, but this should be not a topic in a political discussion. Unless you are avoiding it with such tangents.

Ever wondered why Trump ignored and downplayed the threat and kept the borders open with little exceptions?
    She held open the flood gates. All these world leaders are coming out of the woodwork to save face months after they let the virus into their countries. Now they are telling people not to buy more than a week worth of food. Good luck with that. Fortunately I have a freezer full of dead animals so I didn't have to prepare at all, but even I bought $300 of non perishables 2 months ago.

Great for you! Hope that you have been considerate to the elder lady who was after you in the supermarket and needed to buy something with her little pension.

This virus does not stop at borders and border controls and we just see how difficult it is to lock up free societies.

If borders are closed before the virus has come into the country or at least the number of infected is so low they can be found and quarantined it can work. There are a lot of things that can go wrong. Later than that closed borders can perhaps slow the virus, but often it's a case of "closing the stable gate after the horse has bolted".
    The good news is that the Nordic countries have practised social distancing for decades! :D

main-qimg-0b97a77299604e81a7a7025bf1c74342-c
    edited March 2020
    Number24 wrote:
    If borders are closed before the virus has come into the country or at least the number of infected is so low they can be found and quarantined it can work. There are a lot of things that can go wrong. Later than that closed borders can perhaps slow the virus, but often it's a case of "closing the stable gate after the horse has bolted".

A counterexample would be North Korea.
    They for sure have closed borders and unofficial reports state that the virus is in the country and spreading.

I gave you counterexamples why even with closed borders US citizens can import the virus and I doubt that you can completely seal off an entire country like the US.
    It simply doesnt work!

In the end, you have rigurously locked down borders for weeks, locked up your citizens for weeks, shot your entire economy down and the virus is still in your country because the virus does not stop at the border.

This discussion has been closed.