Coronavirus

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    I have to admit I never saw the connection. It sounds like a good job since there's a lot of great litterature to chose from.
  • bosoxfanbosoxfan Posts: 611MI6 Agent
    We have also had children coughing and spitting at passers by. 

Well that is a lovely thought
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    All pubs, cafés, restaurants closed in UK as of tonight.
  • Cdennis55Cdennis55 Posts: 77MI6 Agent
    Here in Madrid it all happened so fast. I teach English here. Schools closed last Wednesday, bars and restaurants on Friday, lockdown Saturday. Luckily we have dogs, so we can be outside, but even then they’ve since imposed a 20 meter from your apartment rule. They’re not joking. So many fines and arrests. Can’t remember who said it earlier, but it’s true about choosing younger to live. I’ve a doctor friend here, and they’ve been instructed to chose “those most likely to survive.” It’s so messed up. And Spain was better prepared than the US, and look at us now. My sister is 33, has asthma, and is a cervival cancer survivor. She wouldn’t survive this. I hate this thing. And for the young people, myself included (I’m 30), it’s getting more and more of us daily. It’s no longer become an older person with underlying conditions thing. Yesterday a civil guard with no preexisting conditions passed. Also a friend of my girlfriend’s brother. He was a healthy, non smoking 28 year old. Wish you gents the best of luck.
    These are tragic times indeed. I just saw a report from Italy. They're the hardest hit country so far and their health system is in danger of collapsing.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    c52d0cc7b0.jpg
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    What do you teach, if I may ask?
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Well, as my screen name and avatar should suggest. . .British Victorian literature (actually pretty much all Brit Lit from the Romantics to the present day).
    I always assumed you were named after Frank and Joe Hardy!
  • UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    Just started my 12 week self isolation, the full boxed set of Spooks is on BBC catchup so along with 24 Bond films hopefully the time will pass quickly :-)
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    What do you teach, if I may ask?
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Well, as my screen name and avatar should suggest. . .British Victorian literature (actually pretty much all Brit Lit from the Romantics to the present day).
    I always assumed you were named after Frank and Joe Hardy!

Yeah, didn’t they sing “Da Doo Run Run”?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    No, he's a litterature man. His name in AJB is a obviously a tribute to the Hardy Boys :D
    Just started my 12 week self isolation, the full boxed set of Spooks is on BBC catchup so along with 24 Bond films hopefully the time will pass quickly :-)
    Are you really isolating 12 weeks? I pray ours isn’t that long. I’m in an apartment. Luckily all my friends back home have a yard at least.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent
    I always assumed [Hardyboy was] named after Frank and Joe Hardy!
    superado wrote:
    Yeah, didn’t they sing “Da Doo Run Run”?
    woah that's a popculture rabbit hole, I had to do some online sleuthing of my own to get!
    Shaun Cassidy played Joe in the late70s Hardy Boys teevee series I never even knew existed, and he did indeed record a cover of “Da Doo Run Run” round the same time!
    awesome history lesson!
    Hardyboy, you should add superado to your faculty because he obviously has deep knowledge of the truly important stuff!
    and I'm sorry, i just started a new page of this serious thread with a very silly post.

I've been working from home for three days, since my employers finally acknowledged I was not in fact an essential service. I'd been telling them that for a week, I'd been getting really scared travelling by public transit, which is always filthy and overcrowded. The nature of my job, the software I use, the database connections I depend on, makes actually working from home not technically possible however, but I am thinking real hard about work.

Our Prime Minister the other day announced a huge emergency aid package for people who've lost their jobs from all the business layoffs due to the virus. People in the service sector especially, who live paycheck to paycheck, are really going to suffer. Toronto is a very expensive city even if you do have a secure fulltime job. There was a news story tonight: the banks have been telling their customers mortgage payments must continue like its business as usual. If this keeps up some people are going to lose their homes, economic tragedies even for those who remain otherwise healthy.

And starting tonight, Canada is actually closing the border to the States for all inessential travel, mostly just leaving trucks able to get through to make deliveries, Unprecedented.
    Just reading that people in the US are lining up in front of gunstores.
    I am fearing that if the situation there is getting close to what we see in Italy, we'll see horrible things happening, particularly if people run out of food/money/other supplies.

I sincerely hope that I am entirely wrong on that front.

It’s unreal. I’m from Oklahoma. Imagine how many “They tried to take food, my livelihood! I had no other choice!” Defenses there will be.
    “Mr. Whitford, you shot a man in Wal-Mart as you were both reaching for a package of Doritos...”
    Higgins wrote:
    Just reading that people in the US are lining up in front of gunstores.
    I am fearing that if the situation there is getting close to what we see in Italy, we'll see horrible things happening, particularly if people run out of food/money/other supplies.

I sincerely hope that I am entirely wrong on that front.
    Takes „law abiding citizens“ to an entirely new level :s

I wonder how many of those people bought guns and ammo before they even thought of getting anti-bac soap?
    And toiletpaper.....

The wikipedia on the 2019-20 Corona virus pandemic is actually good for tracking the Development all over the world.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_coronavirus_pandemic[/url]
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    edited March 2020
    There is an old legend here in Finland: A man takes his family into wilderness. He works like a madman to make life and survive the hardship. Plows a field where there was forest, lives through hunger and deprivation. Then, one spring he sees a bough floating down the stream, it's clear that it was cut off with a knife. So he grabs his ax, gets into his boat and rows upstream. When he finally found his new neighbour, he walked to him, kiĺled him and his family. Just to have his peace... These are Finnish national heroes, social distancing is second nature to us...
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    thumb-up-terminator_pablo_M_R.jpg
    I have a question for everyone:
    What is the most controversial ordisliked anti-Corona measure in your country?

In Norway it's not allowed to stay overnight in your cabin. :o
    Here in Scotland it's obviously the closing of the pubs.
    Barbel wrote:
    Here in Scotland it's obviously the closing of the pubs.

How will the country survive? :#
    I can tell you from personal experience that the supermarket beer shelves are empty.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Not here. The dumbasses are buying bog roll and bleach. Wine, ale and spirits are untouched. Hurrah.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,270MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Not here. The dumbasses are buying bog roll and bleach. Wine, ale and spirits are untouched. Hurrah.

Please someone tell theses dumbasses that Covid-19 buggers the respiratory system (lungs) NOT yer DUMBASS! (oh I just did!) :D
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I have a question for everyone:
    What is the most controversial ordisliked anti-Corona measure in your country?

In Norway it's not allowed to stay overnight in your cabin. :o

I don't mind this at all. I'm considered an "essential worker" My drives to work and home are great. Hardly anybody on the road. My days off from work I hardly went anywhere in public. Since I work with the public, I do my best to stay away from people on my day off. I'm guessing right now the restaurant workers aren't liking the take-out only part of my states stay at home order. Poor owners aren't getting much business.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent
    Due to the Coronavirus pandemic I have decided to come out of AJB exile and update how things are in the Philippines for anyone who may be interested. I will update anything further of interest as it happens.

Latest figures show 380 positive tests and 25 deaths all in the Manila region.

Here in Cebu we have no cases as yet but a stay at home order has been instigated for under 18’s and over 65’s. There is also a curfew for everyone from 8pm to 5am daily apart from key workers.

On the sub-division (gated community) where I live, we have imposed our own sanctions of only allowing residents entry, so no visits from family or friends.

Wherever you live, keep safe everybody.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Thanks for the info, CHB, and nice to see you again.
This discussion has been closed.