AJB live commentary on TLD

Comments

• JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Well that’s done. As I said earlier, pretty average first half but really enjoyed the second...apart from the Whitaker confrontation that is—very poor villain.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    edited April 2020
    Barbel wrote:
    Well, I hate to admit it but watching this film with you guys has made Dalton come down in my estimation. He had the looks, he had the chops- but he did not have the charisma required for a truly successful Bond.
    "Charisma" is hard to define- Connery had it, Moore had it, Brosnan had it (still has, just) but Dalton didn't.

Hah. See. Higgins and I are right.

So dull Mr Dalton, so DULL.

0C6672FE-5494-4D6A-BB9C-D4B76573F335_zpsxn5jyfr1.gif
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,709MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    JTM wrote:
    Yep, cello would certainly not sound like that with a bullet hole in it...

Actually, it wouldn’t make that much difference where it’s placed on that cello I had this argument with my ex, who now plays with Hans Zimmers orchestra on violin. She educated me. It all has to do with a little stick inside the body. And other stuff I got bored listening about.

Excelent! You can convince her to leak info on the NTTD score.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,060Chief of Staff
    Asp9mm wrote:
    JTM wrote:
    Yep, cello would certainly not sound like that with a bullet hole in it...

Actually, it wouldn’t make that much difference where it’s placed on that cello I had this argument with my ex, who now plays with Hans Zimmers orchestra on violin. She educated me. It all has to do with a little stick inside the body. And other stuff I got bored listening about.

:)) :)) :))

I don't play cello, but I do play double bass (check my avatar) and I really do not fancy a bullet hole anywhere in the body of it!
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Well, I hate to admit it but watching this film with you guys has made Dalton come down in my estimation. He had the looks, he had the chops- but he did not have the charisma required for a truly successful Bond.
    "Charisma" is hard to define- Connery had it, Moore had it, Brosnan had it (still has, just) but Dalton didn't.

I don't really like TLD overall. I agree it's a bit of a slog at times. LTK is much better imho, and I like Dalton in that... but there he's playing 'unconventional' Bond. So he never really got to sell much sense of 'classic' Bond.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    While I like OHMSS more than TLD, this one was more fun to watch with you. The comments had more life.
    Number24 wrote:
    While I like OHMSS more than TLD.

Well, I should bloody think so. I’d rather watch Lea Seydoux than Diane Abbott.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

I‘ve told you......
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Gymkata wrote:
    I'd argue that Lazenby 'had it', in terms of charisma/presence.

He did. And he genuinely could hold his own in a fight too. He had enough real life practice after all.

All of the actors had that undefinable charisma that Bond should have. Sadly not Dalton. And once you’ve seen that, there’s no going back. Well done Higgins, you’ve ruined this film for them all 8-)
    I still don't see the weepy eyes, though! :D
    The film isn't ruined for me. Not at all. I think Dalton has charisma too. What he lacks is film star presence and the "car salesman gene" that Moore and Brosnan got.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    . Well done Higgins, you’ve ruined this film for them all 8-)

Welcome!

And now picking up the most common theory from the Timboys that a bigger marketing campaign or later release date could have saved this stinker......

That's a different subject, Higgy-bum, and fine well you know it.
    edited April 2020
    Timboys :))
    Number24 wrote:
    The film isn't ruined for me. Not at all. I think Dalton has charisma too. What he lacks is film star presence and the "car salesman gene" that Moore and Brosnan got.

Connery, Moore and Lazenby where cool cats!

Dalton desperately tries to come over as one.

Like Asp9mm says: Once you have realized this, there is no going back!
    LTK was among my favorite Bonds for a very long time - until, I have gotten totally annoyed by Dalton‘s interaction with Kara.

I'll give up if you can post an image from a -Bodn film where I can actually see a tear :)) :)) :)) :))

Silly Higgins ….
    Number24 wrote:
    I'll give up if you can post an image from a -Bodn film where I can actually see a tear :)) :)) :)) :))

Silly Higgins ….

That’s the genius of the editing. They cut them out before they actually start dripping. All you see is the ‘tearing up’ in his eye. But full on blubbing is most certainly implied.
    And I remember when some time ago, Asp9mm put on TLD after we‘ve „discussed“ controversely how bad it was.

I‘ll never forget the humiliation in his messages when he had to admit that I was totally right :)) :))

Higgins wrote:
    And I remember when some time ago, Asp9mm put on TLD after we‘ve „discussed“ controversely how bad it was.

I‘ll never forget the humiliation in his messages when he had to admit that I was totally right :)) :))

Are you mad. I’ve always know Dalton was rubbish. Nothing to do with your dumbass comments. I was just astounded your were right about something.
    Gymkata wrote:
    Time to adjust my rankings in my signature.

I'm talking art- not commerce. Since no James Bond film has ever been a commercial failure, though naturally some perform better than others, we as fans should be considering the artistic elements of the movies.
    In this case, I have revised my opinion of Timothy Dalton as Bond downwards- artistically. The film was a commercial success, as was its sequel.

Now, on Friday I suggest we watch a Pierce Brosnan movie. My personal favourite is TWINE but I am aware that GE is a more popular choice and I won't argue if that is the pick.
    Asp9mm wrote:

Are you mad. I’ve always know Dalton was rubbish. Nothing to do with your dumbass comments. I was just astounded your were right about something.

Rewriting history by presenting Alternative Facts again? :v

Higgins wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

Rewriting history by presenting Alternative Facts again? :v

I bow to the Master :v
    So, now that I‘ve totally ruined TLD for everybody, how about we put our teeth into LTK and invite the remaining Timboys over here :)) :)) :))

I suggest TND because GE is too good and I have lost my TWINE DVD …..
    Absolutely!
    How did you get that footage of me watching DAD (top photo) ? :o
    edited April 2020
    Asp9mm wrote:

I bow to the Master :v

You are forgiven! :D

I was re-capturing the movie from yesterday and god - was it awful!
    Dalton is waddling thru it mostly like an alien which has never found it's place.

I know that Dalton was reading the novels and tried a less camp more Fleming more gritty approach but as good as an actor he may be, he's failing miserably. Dalton is the bullied kid at school trying to play Bond, he tried to be cool he tries to be gritty, the problem is that he isn't!
    The Bond tuxedo is 2 numbers too big and too heavy for him and the problem is that he's trying so hard, too hard and it gets obvious when you are watching him closely. He totally lacks the easiness and lightness when Connery or Moore where playing Bond.
    Even Lazenby without any acting experience is more convincing because he gave a damn.
    Dalton tries it so obviously that it's an embarrassment and as said yesterday - once you realize this, there is no way back!

LTK gets a lot of flak for looking like TV and looking like Miami Vice but in my opinion, TLD is the one that looks like TV!!
    I am watching on a big TV at home and I've never escaped the TV mood and it never came acrosss that it would look any better in the cinema.
    LTK on the other hand looks like a "good" and expensive Miami Vice episode, it actually benefits a lot when you see the beautiful (aerial) shots in Florida on the large screen! LTK is bigger than TLD in almost any regard while it still has the main flaw which sticks out like a sore thumb:

Timothy Dalton!

I am glad that his time was over after his second and he's actually the only Bond actor whom I wanted to see going.
    I know that Roger Moore was too old in AVTAK but I still have that thankful and sad feeling that he's left after it.

OK, President Higgins, once you are finished with your self-congratulat... I mean, press conference, can we decide which film to watch next?
    Please let me enjoy the feeling that I have you all on your knees and admitting that I have been correct over all the years that I‘ve undeservedly received flak from the Timboys.

Allow me another Victory Lap* or 100, I promise that this ends soon - in 2022 :D

*I now know how Trump must feel somethimes :D