Time for another group-viewing, this time, it‘s

Bloke on the rearseat‘s outstanding performance in

TOMORROW NEVER DIES

90fa45e341.jpg

London Summertime: 20:00
Paris Summertime: 21:00
New York local time 15:00
LA local time 12:00

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT WE ARE ALL STARTING 10 MINUTES LATER !

The 19:00 deadline is set so that everybody has enough time to find their DVDs/Blu Rays, boot their players and get done with the menus and pause right before the gunbarrel sequence.

WE ARE STARTING PRECISELY AT 19:10

- Please make sure that everybody has their BluRay/DVD/VCR ready and start the player latest 19:00 GMT to get done with all the dodgy menus.
- PAUSE YOUR PLAYER RIGHT BEFORE THE GUNBARREL
- HIT PLAY PRECISELY AT 19:10.
I‘ll post some timecodes during the thread just in case that somebody has messed it up
President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

Comments

• ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    I'm In -{

WHITE-KNIGHT.jpg
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    Looking forward to this. I've always enjoyed Roger Spottiswoode's entry for the series as an exuberant revival of the spirit of the Lewis Gilbert 'action spectaculars'. The sub-plot about Paris aside, it's largely a 'revenge'-free, old-fashioned mission-oriented story, too.

It's frustrating to read that negotiations with John Barry to score this film fell through when MGM/UA vetoed Barry writing the theme song. That was a red line for Barry: and who can blame him? As it is, we have David Arnold, a card-carrying Barry fan, hot off the heels of his 'Shaken and Stirred' covers and clearly exhilarated by the opportunity to score a Bond film...
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Definitely agree, and Arnold plays his A game here.
    The first soundtrack album from this film features the opening and closing songs as well as Moby's "James Bond Theme" but only a selection of cues, mainly from the first half of the film. Three years later, a second soundtrack album was released minus the songs but including more of the score (plus an interview with David Arnold). I intend to cover this as we watch the movie.
    Barbel wrote:
    Definitely agree, and Arnold plays his A game here.
    The first soundtrack album from this film features the opening and closing songs as well as Moby's "James Bond Theme" but only a selection of cues, mainly from the first half of the film. Three years later, a second soundtrack album was released minus the songs but including more of the score (plus an interview with David Arnold). I intend to cover this as we watch the movie.

Thanks! I have the first album but not the second. Something else for my shopping list!

Moby's 'James Bond Theme' was tied in to the promotion of the film and was all part of what made Bond feel trendy again, during the feel-good years of Britpop.
    Gymkata wrote:
    It really is a very solid film. It just lacks that 'it' factor to make it a top tier effort, probably due to the fact that most of the action sequences lack a certain oomph to them.

By the way: if you've never seen it, Spottiswoode delivered a very solid thriller with SHOOT TO KILL back in 1988 that is definitely worth seeking out. Go in blind if you've never seen it and don't spoil the reveal of who the killer is.

Thanks for the recommendation, there...

We may end up debating the oomph factor in TND because I think it has it! My only qualm is the one I had with GE: I don't really engage with Bond as machine-gun toting. As a traditionalist, I prefer it when he just uses a pistol, or his fists, in personal combat (though I know Lazenby had made some use of a machine gun during the climax of OHMSS and Roger Moore during the climax of TSWLM).
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    It really is a very solid film. It just lacks that 'it' factor to make it a top tier effort, probably due to the fact that most of the action sequences lack a certain oomph to them.

I kind of know what you mean, but I think the pre-titles and the car park chase are two of the best action sequences in the whole series.

I think this one is Pierce's best.
    emtiem wrote:
    Gymkata wrote:

I kind of know what you mean, but I think the pre-titles and the car park chase are two of the best action sequences in the whole series.

And Michelle Yeoh is all oomph. And then some!
    Gymkata wrote:
    If you do see SHOOT TO KILL, let me know. I'd be very interested to hear your opinion on it and whether or not you were able to 'guess' correctly.

Will do:-)
    Forgive me if you've heard this story before.
    I was having a really bad time in 97, both personally and professionally. One day I escaped from it all and snuck off to watch TND. For those two hours I managed to get away from the real world and bury myself in 007 and his adventures. Pure pleasure and escapism in the most literal sense.
    This has left me with warm memories of the film and every time I see it I relive that happy feeling. I'm sure I'm overlooking its faults but I can't help that, I enjoy it so much.
    Perhaps this also explains why it was here that I truly accepted Brosnan as Bond- with GE I was still pining for Dalton and comparing the two actors. From the first moments of TND Brosnan was Bond for me. (And would remain so for years)
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    Good story :)
    edited May 2020
    Barbel wrote:
    I was having a really bad time in 97, both personally and professionally. One day I escaped from it all and snuck off to watch TND. For those two hours I managed to get away from the real world and bury myself in 007 and his adventures. Pure pleasure and escapism in the most literal sense.
    This has left me with warm memories of the film and every time I see it I relive that happy feeling. I'm sure I'm overlooking its faults but I can't help that, I enjoy it so much.
    Perhaps this also explains why it was here that I truly accepted Brosnan as Bond- with GE I was still pining for Dalton and comparing the two actors. From the first moments of TND Brosnan was Bond for me. (And would remain so for years)

How we feel about individual Bond films really is affected by what we remember about first seeing them at those particular times in our lives. For me, my first was DAF in 1971, and each since then brings memories of one kind or another. It's never possible to be completely objective about evaluating them when reviewing them again now on dvd/bluray - because of those associations with times in our lives. I'm just grateful that I'm old enough to have seen so many when they were new and in the cinema, though I do envy anyone who had Bond cinema experience in the 60s: I was too young!

I've just bagged a second hand copy of the TND Special Edition CD at a reasonable price. It should arrive within a few days. I only hope that there are no scratches on the disc. I'm relieved to have found one because I see that it's often selling at silly prices. Looking forward to admitting an additional Arnold cue or two from this album to my personal Bond Playlist.

I see that the TND video game had its own soundtrack album too, by one Tommy Tallarico, with individual track titles related to plot elements from the film. I've never played the video games but some of these tracks sound ok (from amazon sampling) if a bit noisy.
    (Edit: I've now listened to them all and no, they're really not any good, though they're interesting because they incorporate arrangements of the Bond theme snaffled from Moby and occasionally even from Serra. One track has a bit of Arnold's 'Surrender' tune in it. Another track has a female vocal and re-uses Paris's perspective, with the lyric "tomorrow never dies" .)
    Shady Tree wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Gymkata wrote:

And Michelle Yeoh is all oomph. And then some!

Yes, she's fantastic. One of the all-time best Bond women.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    After a few absences, I'll definitely try to make this one! TND was the first Bond film I saw, so it holds a special place in my heart :x
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent
    For me, Brosnan is the weakest Bond of all. He always struck me as someone who was pretending to be Bond rather than playing the part. TND is the by far the best of his reign, the story is “proper” Bond, the locations are great, the action is good, the villain is old school madness and Michelle is gorgeous. With all this, I can overlook Brosnan’s shortcomings - it’s an enjoyable romp and I always enjoy watching it.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    Brosnan is probably the only Bond actor I can picture in all the films, because he shares elemements or qualities from all the others, but this may sett him apart less. He also has the least good voice of all the Bond actors, it gets too nasal and mid-Atlantic sometimes.
    Shady Tree wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

How we feel about individual Bond films really is affected by what we remember about first seeing them at those particular times in our lives. For me, my first was DAF in 1971, and each since then brings memories of one kind or another. It's never possible to be completely objective about evaluating them when reviewing them again now on dvd/bluray - because of those associations with times in our lives. I'm just grateful that I'm old enough to have seen so many when they were new and in the cinema, though I do envy anyone who had Bond cinema experience in the 60s: I was too young!

I've just bagged a second hand copy of the TND Special Edition CD at a reasonable price. It should arrive within a few days. I only hope that there are no scratches on the disc. I'm relieved to have found one because I see that it's often selling at silly prices. Looking forward to admitting an additional Arnold cue or two from this album to my personal Bond Playlist.

I see that the TND video game had its own soundtrack album too, by one Tommy Tallarico, with individual track titles related to plot elements from the film. I've never played the video games but some of these tracks sound ok (from amazon sampling) if a bit noisy.
    (Edit: I've now listened to them all and no, they're really not any good, though they're interesting because they incorporate arrangements of the Bond theme snaffled from Moby and occasionally even from Serra. One track has a bit of Arnold's 'Surrender' tune in it. Another track has a female vocal and re-uses Paris's perspective, with the lyric "tomorrow never dies" .)

Much like you, I listened to some of the video game soundtrack and thought "Nah...". I think, though, you'll enjoy the "other" OST. Hang on to the first one, however. You'll need it for the lang song, Moby, and the cues "Station Break". And Sheryl Crow for completeness.
    Although even then I like the unofficial ones out there because they give you the film version of Backseat Driver. Is the escape from the printworks there too? It's been a while since I listened to it.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited May 2020
    Bloke on the backseat:

So, many may know the feeling being "The Bond Guy" for friends and family and with me it's no exception.
    My friend Philipp's dad works as a TV Producer and has quite a standing in Germany.

One of his friends is Mr. Gütersloh, who happened to be the location manager for TND for everything that happened in Hamburg.
    I knew quite early, that shootings will happen in Hamburg and of course communicated interest in being a statist to my friend.

So, one day, I have received a phonecall from a Mr. Gütersloh (at that time, we communictaed via telephone.....). He introduced himself and told me that his friend told him to hire me as an extra - if he wouldn't do it, he'd cancel his friendship and will not forward him any more business :)) :)) :))

Of course, I accepted and thanked my friends dad for the " recommendation".

When I knew the shooting date, I went to my boss and told him, that I'd need 3 days off - if I wouldn't get them, I'd resign.
    He asked what the matter was and being "The Bond Guy" in the company, he gladly accepted.

So, the 1st day, I arrived earlier, registered with my name and the guy said: "So you are the famous Mr. Higgins. Mr. Guetersloh told me, that I must accept you - no matter what - so I am glad to get to know you".

I was guided into a wardrobe, and a huge guy with weird blonde hair went before me - and I've been given a dress shirt, a jacket with "C" logo and a weirdly coloured tie.

We have been at least 100 extras, all cramped in a big salon in the Atlantic Hotel and where divided in group red, group blue and so on.
    We later found out, that they used this system to avoid that the same extra could be seen at different places.
    So, it was clear, when your group was called, you wouldn't be called again.

I've waited the entire morning - lunch was given at the IBIS hotel on the opposite side of the street - noones knew, that Stamper was on the roof of the IBIS hotel at that time.

The in the afternoon, I was called and asked if I can drive.
    I was then seated behind the wheel of one of the 2 Mercedes Cars (I don't recall, if it was the blue one or the black, but will find out tonight.
    I waited for a long time as they where shooting Pierce walking down the street to the hotel entrance - maybe 15 times and I could wach all this thru the car window.
    Then suddenly another guy came - another extra and by error entered the front, where I was seated.
    The film guy realized, that there was already a driver in the car and asked me to move to the other Merc where a driver was already and a passenger, so I was moved on the backseat.

I was a bit unhappy as I knew that my chances would be slim to be seen in the movie, but what can you do!

984b493658.jpg

We shot the scene where the cars pulled out and drove away maybe 10 times and then we had to sit and wait again in the big salon.

The next morning, I came back, sat in the salon for many more hours and before lunch it has been announced that the shooting has been wrapped due to bad weather and also the next day was cancelled.

I've received 2 days full pay and one day half or so, so in the end, I've received 135 Deutschmarks for a wonderful experience.

When you watch the movie tonight, only one of the Mercs has a rear passenger and that would be me.

edited May 2020
    Before I've received the money, I regretfully had to return the jacket, shirt and tie.

After I've left, I had to discover that totally accidentially, my tie has slipped into my jeans pocket ;%

cd8fa73d14.jpg

379c6bf6b1.jpg

As Algernon says to Bond in NSNA

"Lucky bleedin' you!"

:007)
    emtiem wrote:
    Although even then I like the unofficial ones out there because they give you the film version of Backseat Driver. Is the escape from the printworks there too? It's been a while since I listened to it.

Yes, "Hamburg Break Out".
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Great story Higgins—that would have been an amazing experience!
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that 'The Propellerheads' had some involvement with the track 'Backseat Driver' ?
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
    edited May 2020
    I may get some flak here, but imo, TND has the absolutely worst of "Bond Girls".

First of all we have Teri Hatcher...
    If you'd thought that Jinx was annoying, think again!

I haven't seen her in Superman, she was pretty unknown for me in 1997 and I immediately caught the vibe, that this woman is a total troublemaker! She played the exact same annoying role in Desperate Housewife and from everything that I've seen from her, she is exactly what she plays in Desperate Housewife!

Then we have Michelle Yeoh....
    She was and still is an icon in Southeast Asia but I never found her very attractive.
    I am married to a woman from Hong Kong for over 20 years, I travel the region regularly and always looking around a bit ;% I can't understand that so many westerners find her attractive.

On the other hand, TND treats us with 2 absolutely gorgeous technically "Non-Bondgirls":

Right at the beginning with the language teacher (Cecilie Thomsen)
    ef122e44f382450f8fc6dbd864454de0.jpg

and later the host of the Carver Media Party (Daphne Deckers)

007-Tomorrow-Never-Dies-3.jpg

Barbel wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that 'The Propellerheads' had some involvement with the track 'Backseat Driver' ?

Yes, that's right. :)
    edited May 2020
    Barbel wrote:
    Hamburg Break Out

No, I'm not talking about 'Break Out'; the bit during the print press fight and the Bond theme-heavy piece used as he walks out and then dives onto the trolley, used right up until he enters Paris' hotel room.

EDIT: Ah, here's the film version of Hamburg Break Out including the fight
    https://youtu.be/W8aNvRKHSCU

And here's that printworks escape cue:
    https://youtu.be/YzW11hOShdU
    Ah, I see what you mean now.
    I can't find the film version of Backseat Driver anywhere though. Shame.
    Have you tried the isolated score option on the dvd?

Or, if you're feeling rich: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tomorrow-Never-Dies-Chapter-Records/dp/B019GQXBWW/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=
    I didn't want to get into discussing the isolated score, since things are complicated enough already.