Coronavirus

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    Iceland, Norway, Denmark and Germany open up their border for tourism between the countries. The Swedes are surprised and offended because they are left out. Why, indeed? :))
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Second wave predicted...

112752734-observer.jpg

And as all Bond fans know...

Unknown.jpg
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    :)) :)) :))
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Second wave predicted...

112752734-observer.jpg

And as all Bond fans know...

Unknown.jpg

The second wave is often worse than the first... :#

Unknown-1.jpg
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    :)) :)) :))
    Sweden now allows their citizens to visit ten other countries. I'm sure those countries are very happy about that :v
    Norway isn't one of those countries since the risk of Corona is so high here. This seems obvious because Norway has 243 Corona dead while Sweden just passed 5000 dead ?:) ?:) ?:) ?:)
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Sweden now allows their citizens to visit ten other countries. I'm sure those countries are very happy about that :v
    Norway isn't one of those countries since the risk of Corona is so high here. This seems obvious because Norway has 243 Corona dead while Sweden just passed 5000 dead ?:) ?:) ?:) ?:)

Well at least they held a memorial ceremony in the parliament yesterday morning for the thousands of people who have died of the coronavirus:

"Holding this type of ceremony in parliament is an unusual step in Sweden. Previous examples were arranged to honour victims of the 2004 tsunami in which (edit: "only") 534 Swedes perished, and of the MS Estonia ferry disaster two decades before that ("only" 500), as well as following the killings of Prime Minister Olof Palme in 1986 and Foreign Minister Anna Lindh in 2003."

It's nice of them to show some consideration now...
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    There is a small group that has a demonstration against the official anti-Corona policy in Stockholm every week, focusing on the vistims. Many of the people passing by yell "traitors!" and spit at them :#
    Number24 wrote:
    There is a small group that has a demonstration against the official anti-Corona policy in Stockholm every week, focusing on the vistims. Many of the people passing by yell "traitors!" and spit at them :#

And here I was, thinking that Swedes were the gentler, more civilized of us Nordic brothers... :)) :)) :))
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I have heard today, that Finland belongs to Russia.

I have slept long tonight, but have I been missing out on something?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    German news seems a bit slow because that hasn't been correct for a 100 years. What's your source? ?:)
    edited June 2020
    Higgins wrote:
    I have heard today, that Finland belongs to Russia.

I have slept long tonight, but have I been missing out on something?

:)) :)) :)) That's what Stalin thought!

What is true though, is that this weekend it's Midsummer celebrations here in Nordics. In Finland weather is supposedly superb this weekend, so people should feel comfortable staying out doors where the virus has lesser impact.

Also 9000 conscripts were released to reserves today, so party all around Finland!

Here is link to traditional (nowadays) Midsummer Bingo on Varustelekas web page! Good luck!!

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/page/midsummer-bingo/24765
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    In Norway we celebrate midsummer by lighting bonfires. Some do it better than others! (the yearly Slinning bonfire near Ålesund)

maxresdefault.jpg

reise-vinner+han+tur+til+australia.jpg?o=3145332&w=940&h=0&ee=1247666303
    To return (somewhat) to topic, here are two videos from the excellent TimeGhost History channel about pandemics in a historic context.

About lockdowns used against the Black Death :

Pandemics Economically Worse than War: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odufcENQaJw
    Number24 wrote:
    In Norway we celebrate midsummer by lighting bonfires. Some do it better than others! (the yearly Slinning bonfire near Ålesund)

Nice! We do those also, except this year because of the danger of forest fires. (Yeah right....) 8-)

Edit: Well of course, not as big as that!
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    The bonfire has been buildt for decades by local youth, and a few years the Slinning bonfire got in the Guinnes Book of Reccords as the world's highest bonfire!
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Iceland, Norway, Denmark and Germany open up their border for tourism between the countries. The Swedes are surprised and offended because they are left out. Why, indeed? :))

I take it Sweden are the bad boys of Scandinavia :)) :))
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

maxresdefault.jpg

Looks like something from 'The Wicker Man' :o
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I take it Sweden are the bad boys of Scandinavia :)) :))

Well, at least they have handled the pandemic badly :v
    Pierce Brosnan said in an interview for Parade that he's lost two old friends to Covid-19. :#
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

maxresdefault.jpg

I love the subject of virgin sacrifice!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent
    With the German R rate going up to 2.79, have they reopened everything too soon? Up to now they have handled things very well, this may be a warning to those countries who think this pandemic has fizzled out.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    superado wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

maxresdefault.jpg

Unfortunally wooden pallets and virgins are getting harder to find by the year. :#
    With the German R rate going up to 2.79, have they reopened everything too soon? Up to now they have handled things very well, this may be a warning to those countries who think this pandemic has fizzled out.

The high R number

- is based on a very low number in total, so a few new infections raise that factor very much
    - we had an outbreak of over 1000 Infected workers in a meat processing site and over 7000 people in total are under police enforced quarantene to avoid that workers are running away.

That appears to be a unique event and authorities are trying to limit the outbreak with those measures so in total, the infections besides this is still low.

Number24 wrote:
    superado wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

Unfortunally wooden pallets and virgins are getting harder to find by the year. :#

I am curious:

In Germany, it is required by law that the wood stack is entirely redone from scratch at the morning of the event.
    This is done to make sure that wildlife* that seek shelter into those constructions over night are not burned alive.

* hedgehogs, rabbits, deer etc.

How are Norwegians dealing with that?

edited June 2020
    Higgins wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    superado wrote:

I am curious:

In Germany, it is required by law that the wood stack is entirely redone from scratch at the morning of the event.
    This is done to make sure that wildlife* that seek shelter into those constructions over night are not burned alive.

* hedgehogs, rabbits, deer etc.

How are Norwegians dealing with that?

We don't really care. If the animals don't get out by the time the bonfire is burning they've failed the "survival of the fittest" test, haven't they? An animal that stays in a burning bonfire wouldn't survive a forrest fire.
    Well, you may know that not all animals run away from fire.

Insofar and I am sorry for this, I find the norwegian bonfires despicable, I could not enjoy them for the reasons stated above.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

The high R number

- is based on a very low number in total, so a few new infections raise that factor very much
    - we had an outbreak of over 1000 Infected workers in a meat processing site and over 7000 people in total are under police enforced quarantene to avoid that workers are running away.

That appears to be a unique event and authorities are trying to limit the outbreak with those measures so in total, the infections besides this is still low.

This seems to be an effective and firm response. The last thing the world needs is a virulent second wave sweeping us back to square one.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Most of the workers there are from Romania and other Eastern Europe countries.
    The last thing anybody wants that the quaranteened workers are trying to travel back home and leave a trail of infections on their route.

The entire population in the region will be tested in the coming days.

Higgins wrote:
    Well, you may know that not all animals run away from fire.

Insofar and I am sorry for this, I find the Norwegian bonfires despicable, I could not enjoy them for the reasons stated above.

I'm assuming you're not talking about the Slinning bonfire because that one takes many weeks to build. Yes, not all animals run away from fire. But dismanteling a bonfire just to save an animal seems like taking animal welfare a step to far. Like all the disaster movies where thousands of people die - but the survivors risk their lives to save one dog. You know, so the movie can have a happy ending.
This discussion has been closed.