Why an I required to login every time I return to the site?

Sorry if this has been answered before. I did search for ten minutes before posting.

Whenever I visit AJB007 I am asked to login. I check the box to be remembered the next time, but it never remembers me. Does anyone know how to rectify this?
thanks in advance

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Yes, I must say it is a bit of a pain.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Apologies, am not in a position to help right now. Sir Miles?
  • bosoxfanbosoxfan Posts: 611MI6 Agent
    If we doing q and a, I've got another question or suggestion or just a wish perhaps, when you do a search, some sites will take you to the page where the actual occurrence of the search is at, ajb just takes you to the topic and then there could be hundreds of pages of info.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    nobody wrote:
    Sorry if this has been answered before. I did search for ten minutes before posting.

Whenever I visit AJB007 I am asked to login. I check the box to be remembered the next time, but it never remembers me. Does anyone know how to rectify this?
    thanks in advance

Hmm, never had that issue before. What browser are you using? Make sure you’re not in incognito mode/private browsing—you have to log in each time if you using those.
    bosoxfan wrote:
    If we doing q and a, I've got another question or suggestion or just a wish perhaps, when you do a search, some sites will take you to the page where the actual occurrence of the search is at, ajb just takes you to the topic and then there could be hundreds of pages of info.

You can search by post instead of topic, then if you go to that post you’ll be on the relevant page. It’s one of the options on the search page.
  • nobodynobody Posts: 110MI6 Agent
    I'm using safari on an iphone. Is there an incognito mode on iphones?
    JTM wrote:
    nobody wrote:

thanks in advance

Hmm, never had that issue before. What browser are you using? Make sure you’re not in incognito mode/private browsing—you have to log in each time if you using those.
    bosoxfan wrote:

You can search by post instead of topic, then if you go to that post you’ll be on the relevant page. It’s one of the options on the search page.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    bosoxfan wrote:
    after entering your search string, set "Search In..." to "Message Text Only", and at the bottom of the page toggle "Display Results..." to "As Posts"

Then, when the results come up, you will hopefully see a sequence of relevant posts from all different topics. But they are all decontextualised.
    At the bottom of each post is a choice... Go to forum / Go to topic / Go to Post
    if you click Go to topic it will take you to the first post of the topic, which could be hundreds of pages long. Not so useful unless you want to read the topic from the beginning.
    if you click Go to post, it will take you to that post's position within its topic, and you can scroll backwards and forwards to see how it fits in the context of the discussion. Much more useful.
    Go to forum leads to the subforum where the topic lives, eg this topic lives in Site Help Suggestions & Announcements. I don't know why someone would want to click on that one, but its a choice too.

Here's a cool trick: when you click on Go to Post, that actually produces a unique URL for that post's position in the thread, as opposed to the beginning of the thread or even the page of the thread. You can copy and paste that URL into a new post, if you ever want to hyperlink to a specific old post from a new discussion.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Barbel wrote:

It’s never been an issue for me...but then I don’t ever automatically log in...but there is/was a function (definitely on iPhone/Apple) that does allow you to automatically log in every time you visit...
    YNWA 97
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    I find that I am not logged in if I link from the Gmail app on my Android phone. I am still signed in when I use Chrome.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

It’s never been an issue for me...but then I don’t ever automatically log in...but there is/was a function (definitely on iPhone/Apple) that does allow you to automatically log in every time you visit...

I get it on a variety of devices: visiting on my iPhone or on my desktop I have to log in each time unless I’ve left the window open.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Its odd, when I first come to the site, I'm not logged in. But if I click on one the topics, it'll log me in automatically. May I suggest the next time you visit, try going into one of the topics, i.e. the No Time To Die forum and see if your logged in.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Well I always go to 'new posts' which doesn't appear unless you're logged in.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    emtiem wrote:
    Well I always go to 'new posts' which doesn't appear unless you're logged in.

Odd that automatic login works for some but not others ?:)
    YNWA 97
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    Unfortunately this is probably something to do with the cookies and modern browser issues. I don't think there is anything I can do as the actual software running the site is very old now. I will see if I can see what's going on but I am not hopeful.
    Simon