26

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

GoldenEye85 wrote:

Tomorrow Never Dies

Bond's laugh when he re-inflates the tires in the garage chase.

You left out "Me too."  ajb007/martini

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

27

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

This is a great thread. Love me some Broz, keep em coming!

28

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

In TWINE when he and Elektra are admiring the proposed pipeline, he's admiring something else too...

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.   1st: Moore  2nd: Connery  3rd: Brosnan  4th: Dalton   5th: Craig

"I thought Christmas only came once a year."

29

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

Some moments:

- He does the best gun barrel. Real confident walk and great turn.
- Killing Kaufman
- The look he gave the Bilbao banker after killing him: cold as ice
- Fixing his tie in Goldeneye tank chase and boat chase in TWINE
- The killing of Electra. Again, cold as ice.
- The escape from Hamburg office, including dialing in the digits with his gun. Nice touch!
- Walking into the Hong Kong hotel like he owns the place
- His first delivery of Bond, James Bond in Goldeneye.

Brozza ruled. Pity the material wasn't always that great.

OHMSS, FRWl, GF, CR, TB, GE, DN, S, YOLT, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore

30

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

A lot of them seem so staged and forced as to be unnatural -- the whole exchange with the guard before stealing the jet in TND, for instance -- so to me, Brosnan's best "cool" moments are the ones that are brief and more natural. What comes to mind from each film are:

- Telling Onatopp "No, no, no" in GE.
- His glee while controlling the car during the parking garage chase in TND.
- His quip to the cigar girl -- and her obvious displeasure at it in TWINE.
- The bit where he becomes angrily determined during the sword fight in DND.

31

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

I'm personally a fan of his vodka shot-fueled introspection in TND, before Paris shows up.

It's a nice moment.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

32

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

Loeffelholz wrote:

I'm personally a fan of his vodka shot-fueled introspection in TND, before Paris shows up.

It's a nice moment.

It certainly is. I'd love to see the Dalton version of a very similar looking scene (I've only seen the stills)

I don't have any friends

33

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

zaphod99 wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:

I'm personally a fan of his vodka shot-fueled introspection in TND, before Paris shows up.

It's a nice moment.

It certainly is. I'd love to see the Dalton version of a very similar looking scene (I've only seen the stills)

I've never heard about Dalton doing a similar scene. Do you have a link to the stills or can you point me in the direction? Thanks  ajb007/martini

34

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

I think it's on the extras of the bluray. Bond killing time
After the wedding, alone in his hotel room.

35

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

DAD:

"Hong Kong our turf now Bond!"

"Yeah, well, don't worry about it.  I'm not here to take it back..."

TND:

"I may have some breaking news for you Eliot...you forgot the first rule of mass media Eliot! Give the people what they want!"

36

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

Thunderpussy wrote:

I think it's on the extras of the bluray. Bond killing time
After the wedding, alone in his hotel room.

It's also on the two disc DVD.

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

37

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

Herr Michael wrote:

DAD:
"Hong Kong our turf now Bond!"
"Yeah, well, don't worry about it.  I'm not here to take it back..."

ajb007/martini

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.   1st: Moore  2nd: Connery  3rd: Brosnan  4th: Dalton   5th: Craig

"I thought Christmas only came once a year."

38

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

Thanks Thunderpussy and chrisisall, I'll keep my eye out for it.  ajb007/martini

39

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

Mr_Osato wrote:

Some moments:

- He does the best gun barrel. Real confident walk and great turn.
- Killing Kaufman
- The look he gave the Bilbao banker after killing him: cold as ice
- Fixing his tie in Goldeneye tank chase and boat chase in TWINE
- The killing of Electra. Again, cold as ice.
- The escape from Hamburg office, including dialing in the digits with his gun. Nice touch!
- Walking into the Hong Kong hotel like he owns the place
- His first delivery of Bond, James Bond in Goldeneye.

Brozza ruled. Pity the material wasn't always that great.

I agree about the glare he throws at the Bilbao banker in TWINE. Ruthless, deadly and cool. Great Brosnan moment.

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

40

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

TWINE is full of great Brosnan moments. His best film in terms of acting and all-round bad assery.

"I thought Christmas only came once a year."  ajb007/martini

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.   1st: Moore  2nd: Connery  3rd: Brosnan  4th: Dalton   5th: Craig

"I thought Christmas only came once a year."

41

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned (TOMORROW NEVER DIES is full of great moments). Here are a few more that immediately spring to mind:-

GOLDENEYE
1. After using a towel to throw a henchman down the stairs of a yacht Bond uses the same towel to wipe sweat off his face.
2. After getting her to drive him to the meet-up with Janus, Bond charmingly thanks Onatopp then ruthlessly knocks her out with a karate chop to the neck.
3. Bond's "trust me" look to Natalya when he takes his belt off to use it as a piton.

THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
1. Bond's look to camera after he knocks out a henchman in the Swiss banker's office.
2. Bond incapacitating a henchman in Zukovsky's casino by pinning his tie to the bar with a knife, disarming him then taking a confident drink of a martini.

42

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

heartbroken_mr_drax wrote:

TWINE is full of great Brosnan moments. His best film in terms of acting and all-round bad assery.

"I thought Christmas only came once a year."  ajb007/martini

He looks his best in TWINE as well. His haircut is fantastic and all around just looks the part, same in DAD.

43

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

BIG TAM wrote:

2. Bond incapacitating a henchman in Zukovsky's casino by pinning his tie to the bar with a knife, disarming him then taking a confident drink of a martini.

That did rule!

"Like any great artist, I want to create an undisputed masterpiece in my lifetime."

1. Moonraker 2. The Spy Who Loved Me 3. Dr. No  4. Tomorrow Never Dies 5. Goldeneye
6. GF 7. TWINE  8. OP  9. AVTAK 10. QoS  … and then the rest.

44

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

Firemass wrote:
BIG TAM wrote:

2. Bond incapacitating a henchman in Zukovsky's casino by pinning his tie to the bar with a knife, disarming him then taking a confident drink of a martini.

That did rule!

I agree! That is one of his best moments. It's the essence of the cinematic James Bond: suave, cool, stylish, quick and tough. Only Connery could have done that scene so well. It's so satisfying to watch because we can see how satisfied Bond is with what he just did. Moments like that were the reason why Pierce Brosnan was so loved as Bond at the time.

45

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

Matt S wrote:
Firemass wrote:
BIG TAM wrote:

2. Bond incapacitating a henchman in Zukovsky's casino by pinning his tie to the bar with a knife, disarming him then taking a confident drink of a martini.

That did rule!

I agree! That is one of his best moments. It's the essence of the cinematic James Bond: suave, cool, stylish, quick and tough. Only Connery could have done that scene so well. It's so satisfying to watch because we can see how satisfied Bond is with what he just did. Moments like that were the reason why Pierce Brosnan was so loved as Bond at the time.

Yes its great and he pulls it off with aplomb. For me that sense of inscouant cool has been missing and I hope it makes a return. I find it a bit strange as I'm convinced that DC could do that.

I don't have any friends

46

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

Ironic, since I place DAD at the very bottom of my preference list, but...

-- Strolling shirtless and unshaven into the Hong Kong hotel lobby as if it were completely normal -- zahpod99's term "insouciant cool" perfectly describes this scene for me.

-- Even though the invisible car is probably the dumbest idea in the history of Bond films, for some reason I love Bond's reaction to it -- "Oh, that is good."  In a movie that is almost all snark and nudge-nudge wink-wink cutesiness, Bond seems genuinely impressed by the car he can't see.  Sometimes I wonder if Pierce just improvised that line.

Hilly...you old devil!

47

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

Matt S wrote:
Firemass wrote:
BIG TAM wrote:

2. Bond incapacitating a henchman in Zukovsky's casino by pinning his tie to the bar with a knife, disarming him then taking a confident drink of a martini.

That did rule!

I agree! That is one of his best moments. It's the essence of the cinematic James Bond: suave, cool, stylish, quick and tough. Only Connery could have done that scene so well. It's so satisfying to watch because we can see how satisfied Bond is with what he just did. Moments like that were the reason why Pierce Brosnan was so loved as Bond at the time.

+1. Completely agree, Matt!

10 songs done for next CD- one more started, one being discarded.

48

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

Sir Hillary Bray wrote:

-- Even though the invisible car is probably the dumbest idea in the history of Bond films, for some reason I love Bond's reaction to it -- "Oh, that is good."  In a movie that is almost all snark and nudge-nudge wink-wink cutesiness, Bond seems genuinely impressed by the car he can't see.  Sometimes I wonder if Pierce just improvised that line.

I also love how he tosses the manual in front of the car's automated guns. 

(Nevermind it's crazy that it would be fully loaded with live ammo during the demonstration)

"Like any great artist, I want to create an undisputed masterpiece in my lifetime."

1. Moonraker 2. The Spy Who Loved Me 3. Dr. No  4. Tomorrow Never Dies 5. Goldeneye
6. GF 7. TWINE  8. OP  9. AVTAK 10. QoS  … and then the rest.

49

Re: Coolest Brosnan Moments

"Life is full of small challenges"- TWINE

“The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning. "
-Casino Royale, Ian Fleming