101

Re: Film Order

And all that happened before the novel was released!  The thing here is that Bryce introduced mcclory to Fleming,  the ensuing debacle and Flemings death was resultant om that meeting!

It was either that.....or the priesthood

102

Re: Film Order

Chula wrote:

I am right (I always am)

No, you're not always right- for example, your statement earlier in this thread about John Brosnan's "James Bond In The Cinema" and Kingsley Amis' "The James Bond Dossier", where you either didn't know or had forgotten about the three other books I cited.

Check the ending of Chapter 1 of "The Battle For Bond" where the intention to make "a full length motion picture feature" by Xanadu Productions is discussed, with quotes from the relevant parties. Again and again the words "film", "cinema" etc appear. No mention of TV.

10 songs done for next CD- one more started, one being discarded.

103

Re: Film Order

It's well known Brice approached mcclory with the intention of making films out of Flemings work.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

104

Re: Film Order

Agreed ajb007/martini

105

Re: Film Order

ajb007/martini  I think we connoisseurs of Bond all agree on some basic Bond fact,  history and law.  But to the uneducated it's like bouncing a tennis ball off a brick wall........  ajb007/rolleyes

It was either that.....or the priesthood

106

Re: Film Order

Chula wrote:

The plan fell through (I don't know why) so they finally got around to making OHMSS.

Chula wrote:

Are you out of your mind. My post above was the most accurate and scholarly thing ever written here. You should have said, "Thanks, Chula, for such good work."

Just gonna leave this here.

All I can say about this forum is that the portrayal of New Yorkers in Ghostbusters 2 is absolutely spot on.

1.FYEO  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.LTK  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.DAD  20.DAF  21.TWINE  22.QoS  23.NSNA  24.DN  25.OHMSS  26.CR (67)

107

Re: Film Order

Chula wrote:

A newbie? Uhhh, I happen to be the biggest Bond fan probably on Earth. A newbie? Uhh, did you see OHMSS in the theaters? I did. Heck, I even saw YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE in the theater. What was your first Bond film in the theater...SKYFALL?

Good for you. Ever consider that maybe not everyone saw  a Bond movie in a cinema as early as you because, oh, I don't know, maybe they were too young at the time? Or not even born at that point?

1.FYEO  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.LTK  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.DAD  20.DAF  21.TWINE  22.QoS  23.NSNA  24.DN  25.OHMSS  26.CR (67)

108

Re: Film Order

Chula wrote:

Now compare that certain-death-to-come conveyor belt scene with a similar scene of Connery's -- his laser table scene in GOLDFINGER. See the way Sean played that scene? No crying and whining like a baby like Dalton. Just super-cool, can see his mind working a way out of it, even a bit nasty towards his abductor. Dalton was horrendous, played Bond like a panicky little girl. I still can't believe he played Bond the way he did in that scene.

I have to disagree - Bond is clearly sweating, and judging by how Connery delivers some of the lines, he's clearly feeling the pressure and and saying anything he thinks will help him. I'd say Bond acts quite similar in both scenes, really.

Chula wrote:

When it comes to Bond, very few people know more than Chula. Admittedly I know zilch about the Brosnan and McQueen films. I've seen those films once, vomited, and never viewed them again. However, when it comes to the first dozen or so films, no one can match the Bond knowledge that Chula possesses.

Referring to yourself in the third person? Oooooh, what a villain.

Chula wrote:

Some think Dalton was a great Bond! I am really questioning your assessment of "deeper knowledge" of this place.

Chula wrote:

Hey, it's all just a good give and take about something rather inconsequential to the world - 007 films. If we can't have a good time talking about Bond films, then the world really is in trouble.

Just another one of your contradictory quotes I'm going to leave here.

1.FYEO  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.LTK  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.DAD  20.DAF  21.TWINE  22.QoS  23.NSNA  24.DN  25.OHMSS  26.CR (67)

109

Re: Film Order

MilleniumForce wrote:

Ever consider that maybe not everyone saw  a Bond movie in a cinema as early as you because, oh, I don't know, maybe they were too young at the time? Or not even born at that point?

Then you should sit back and learn from others who have seen OHMSS in the theater like myself.

Listen, here in New York we have an iconic baseball team called the New York Yankees. I saw many years of their games, but I sure never saw Babe Ruth play. When it comes to him and those older Yankees I politely sit back and listen to those that were there. I can do that, why can't others do that when it comes to matters of James Bond? I know Bond from his early days, just sit back and enjoy the first-hand knowledge I have to give.

I'll give you a fine example: you know in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME when Bond appears on the jet-ski? Well, that scene brought the house down. Today, not a giggle...because jet-skis are as common as cars. But back in 1977, the appearance of a guy riding what looked like a motorcycle across the sea, well, that was hilarious and did in fact bring great laughter to us in the audience of TSWLM. See, that's something you will not know of Bond unless you were old enough to be there. You can learn a lot from Chula. Not being arrogant just being helpful.

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/blog_post/primary_image/far-flung-correspondents/roger-moores-best-the-spy-who-loved-me/primary_TSWLM7.jpg

110

Re: Film Order

Chula wrote:

Read that incredible "The Battle For Bond" book. I hesitated for years reading that -- I thought it would just be dull legal proceedings. Boy, was I wrong. Entertaining as hell book.

Barbel wrote:

Check the ending of Chapter 1 of "The Battle For Bond" where the intention to make "a full length motion picture feature" by Xanadu Productions is discussed, with quotes from the relevant parties. Again and again the words "film", "cinema" etc appear. No mention of TV.


ajb007/biggrin

1.FYEO  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.LTK  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.DAD  20.DAF  21.TWINE  22.QoS  23.NSNA  24.DN  25.OHMSS  26.CR (67)

111

Re: Film Order

Chula wrote:
MilleniumForce wrote:

Ever consider that maybe not everyone saw  a Bond movie in a cinema as early as you because, oh, I don't know, maybe they were too young at the time? Or not even born at that point?

Then you should sit back and learn from others who have seen OHMSS in the theater like myself.

Listen, here in New York we have an iconic baseball team called the New York Yankees. I saw many years of their games, but I sure never saw Babe Ruth play. When it comes to him and those older Yankees I politely sit back and listen to those that were there. I can do that, why can't others do that when it comes to matters of James Bond? I know Bond from his early days, just sit back and enjoy the first-hand knowledge I have to give.

I'll give you a fine example: you know in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME when Bond appears on the jet-ski? Well, that scene brought the house down. Today, not a giggle...because jet-skis are as common as cars. But back in 1977, the appearance of a guy riding what looked like a motorcycle across the sea, well, that was hilarious and did in fact bring great laughter to us in the audience of TSWLM. See, that's something you will not know of Bond unless you were old enough to be there. You can learn a lot from Chula. Not being arrogant just being helpful.

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/blog_post/primary_image/far-flung-correspondents/roger-moores-best-the-spy-who-loved-me/primary_TSWLM7.jpg

I knew that, actually. What you're suggesting is that if I didn't see he early movies in the cinema like you, I must know nothing. But that is not the case, because I am capable of researching, to quote you, history - ever heard of that?

1.FYEO  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.LTK  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.DAD  20.DAF  21.TWINE  22.QoS  23.NSNA  24.DN  25.OHMSS  26.CR (67)

112

Re: Film Order

MilleniumForce wrote:

I knew that, actually.

How could you unless you were in the theater and heard the house roar with laughter?
There is no Bond book on the market that says the best laugh in TSWLM was when Bond skitters across the sea on a jet ski.

Sorry, kid, you missed out. You have the Steve McQueen/Pervert and Waste Bond films, others like me had the Connery/Moore/Cubby/Richard Maibaum/Ken Adam/John Barry Bond films. But all is not lost. I can share my Bond info and experiences for you. You should sit back and listen.

113

Re: Film Order

Could this guy get more clichéd?  OK New York,  Trump tick, Yankees tick, babe Ruth tick.
And of course if you've never heard an audience laugh at a jet ski then you know diddly squat about bond.  Give me a break

It was either that.....or the priesthood

114

Re: Film Order

Chula wrote:
MilleniumForce wrote:

I knew that, actually.

How could you unless you were in the theater and heard the house roar with laughter?
There is no Bond book on the market that says the best laugh in TSWLM was when Bond skitters across the sea on a jet ski.

Sorry, kid, you missed out. You have the Steve McQueen/Pervert and Waste Bond films, others like me had the Connery/Moore/Cubby/Richard Maibaum/Ken Adam/John Barry Bond films. But all is not lost. I can share my Bond info and experiences for you. You should sit back and listen.

The jet ski (or Wet Bike as it is called in the film) was definitely a novelty for the time, and people certainly would have reacted that way to it - that's exactly what you'd expect. Nowhere in your post about the wet bike did you say it was the BEST laugh in the film, you just said it brought 'great laughter'.

1.FYEO  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.LTK  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.DAD  20.DAF  21.TWINE  22.QoS  23.NSNA  24.DN  25.OHMSS  26.CR (67)

115

Re: Film Order

MilleniumForce wrote:

the BEST laugh in the film,

Best laughs in the film were the following:
- jet ski
- Jaws emerging from the house and dusting himself off
- Bond while in the Lotus giving the fish to guy on beach

116

Re: Film Order

Chula wrote:
Revolver66 wrote:

Well seeing as Die Another Day was my first Bond film in the cinema

And you actually became a Bond fan after that?!?

This thread has something to do with Film Order. I can't imagine anyone becoming a Bond fan if the film order for them was DIE ANOTHER DAY being first.

No I had seen all of the Bond films before then and was quite a fan however they were all viewed through the TV. Die Another Day was my first Bond cinema going experience.

In an attempt to dampen the flames on this thread, I see you are passionate Chula, however I do feel that you wrong on this issue. Fleming and his pal Ivar Bryce discussed writing a Bond film around 1958 and teamed up with McClory and Ernest Cuneo and together they knocked out numerous film treatments and screenplays. Then Whittingham was brought in by McClory to help and he also knocked out a script, and Fleming chose the title; Thunderball.

After which Fleming used the story ideas for his novel, and foolishly did not credit McClory or Whittingham. Hence the legal debacle that followed.  Quite obviously, there is a lot more to it than that, but this is essentially what happened. It is widely accepted as fact and is detailed and mentioned in many Bond related publications, including the Everything Or Nothing documentary. Case closed

Last edited by Revolver66 (18th Mar 2017 21:07)

117

Re: Film Order

Barbel wrote:
Chula wrote:

I am right (I always am)

No, you're not always right- for example, your statement earlier in this thread about John Brosnan's "James Bond In The Cinema" and Kingsley Amis' "The James Bond Dossier", where you either didn't know or had forgotten about the three other books I cited.

Check the ending of Chapter 1 of "The Battle For Bond" where the intention to make "a full length motion picture feature" by Xanadu Productions is discussed, with quotes from the relevant parties. Again and again the words "film", "cinema" etc appear. No mention of TV.

No glib remark? No pithy comeback?

I thought not. Now that your statement

Chula wrote:

"Thunderball" was originally a draft for a TV show.

has been disproven by the very book you cited, shall we move to another of your inaccuracies?

Chula wrote:

Short story titles became the way to go ("Octopussy, "From A View To A Kill," "The Living Daylights"), and then titles they simply made up.

So, you deny that "Casino Royale" and "Quantum Of Solace" are Fleming titles, then? Without your customary insults and wandering off-topic, let's see you back that up.

10 songs done for next CD- one more started, one being discarded.

118

Re: Film Order

Chula wrote:

As far as Dalton goes...are you serious? Jimmy Dean, Willard Whyte, in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER was a better actor than Dalton.

YES!

Chula wrote:

Dalton had zero idea on how to play Bond.

YES!

Chula wrote:

All squirming and panic and nearly in tears over desperation to save his own life.

YES!

Chula wrote:

Dalton played Bond in that scene the way a common man would react to being in that situation: afraid and desperate and out of control.

YES!

Chula wrote:

See the way Sean played that scene? No crying and whining like a baby like Dalton.

YES!

Chula wrote:

Dalton  was horrendous, played Bond like a panicky little girl.

YES!

Chula wrote:

I still can't believe he played Bond the way he did in that scene.

YES!

Not everything he's gotten totally wrong!  ajb007/biggrin

http://ms0.iol.it/img_newsreg/5/2/8/22061825.jpg
President of the 'Tim Dalton Misty-Eyed Fan Club'.
------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!-------
Don't you Higgy-Baby Me! The name is Higgins, Jonathan Quayle Higgins III !!

119

Re: Film Order

Chula wrote:
MilleniumForce wrote:

Ever consider that maybe not everyone saw  a Bond movie in a cinema as early as you because, oh, I don't know, maybe they were too young at the time? Or not even born at that point?

Then you should sit back and learn from others who have seen OHMSS in the theater like myself.

Listen, here in New York we have an iconic baseball team called the New York Yankees. I saw many years of their games, but I sure never saw Babe Ruth play. When it comes to him and those older Yankees I politely sit back and listen to those that were there. I can do that, why can't others do that when it comes to matters of James Bond? I know Bond from his early days, just sit back and enjoy the first-hand knowledge I have to give.

I'll give you a fine example: you know in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME when Bond appears on the jet-ski? Well, that scene brought the house down. Today, not a giggle...because jet-skis are as common as cars. But back in 1977, the appearance of a guy riding what looked like a motorcycle across the sea, well, that was hilarious and did in fact bring great laughter to us in the audience of TSWLM. See, that's something you will not know of Bond unless you were old enough to be there. You can learn a lot from Chula. Not being arrogant just being helpful.

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/blog_post/primary_image/far-flung-correspondents/roger-moores-best-the-spy-who-loved-me/primary_TSWLM7.jpg


TSWLM is my favorite Bond film even though it was released many years before I was born.
I enjoy hearing your first hand accounts of seeing these classic films the cinema. Your 007 street cred goes without question, but keep in mind that your AJB cred is close to zero. You've only been a member since January.  Maybe you should politely sit back and get a feel for what the other Bond fans have to say.

"Like any great artist, I want to create an undisputed masterpiece in my lifetime."

1. Moonraker 2. The Spy Who Loved Me 3. Dr. No  4. Tomorrow Never Dies 5. Goldeneye
6. GF 7. TWINE  8. OP  9. AVTAK 10. QoS  … and then the rest.

120

Re: Film Order

His Dalton credibility it pretty good though  ajb007/biggrin

http://ms0.iol.it/img_newsreg/5/2/8/22061825.jpg
President of the 'Tim Dalton Misty-Eyed Fan Club'.
------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!-------
Don't you Higgy-Baby Me! The name is Higgins, Jonathan Quayle Higgins III !!

121

Re: Film Order

Firemass wrote:

I enjoy hearing your first hand accounts of seeing these classic films the cinema.

I'll share some more:

- OHMSS
I distinctly remember a big roar of approval and applause from some audience members when Bond left that ski platform and started his nighttime escape from Piz Gloria. I suppose the film was viewed by many as a somewhat draggy film. When Bond arrives at Piz Gloria any action in the film really does disappear for a long stretch of time; so when Bond makes that go down the mountainside, yeah, it was an opportunity for audiences to liven up and cheer and get ready for a great time.

- OCTOPUSSY
Biggest laugh in the film is towards the end when Khan/Louis Jordan - and you have to remember this is suave debonair Louis Jordan of GiGi fame - tsks tsks Maud Adams and says, "Octopussy...Octo-pussy." Sure we all knew the title of the film was a hoot, but when Jordan says it twice in a row with as much mock-seriousness as he can muster, man, the house laughed so hard.

A rather odd bit of audience laughter was when Bond gets by the security man at the American air base and the security guard alerts others by saying, "And he's wearing a red shirt." I didn't understand at the time why that brought big laughs from the audience. Still don't. I suppose it was the way the actor said it as though wearing a red shirt was extremely dangerous and you should be very careful. Just saying that "wearing a red shirt" line did get a big laugh.

Nobody laughed at the "Sit" command that Bond gave to the tiger. I knew what they were getting at (Barbara Woodhouse) but nobody else in my New York audience did. No laugh from "Si-it."

- LICENCE TO KILL
While walking out of the theater the crowd was just glum. Very unsatisfied. I can still hear the guy who was walking in front of me saying to his girlfriend, "That was the worst Bond film ever."

- SPY WHO LOVED ME
Yes, when the parachute opens up the audience clapped and cheered wildly. Was a real "Holy sh!t" moment. One of the best I have ever experienced in a movie theater.

The love of Jaws was palpable. Totally understand why that character was brought back. Everything Jaws did in SWLM was greeted with enjoyable laughter from the audience. Heck, the audience loved Jaws more than Bond in that film.

122

Re: Film Order

Chula wrote:

A rather odd bit of audience laughter was when Bond gets by the security man at the American air base and the security guard alerts others by saying, "And he's wearing a red shirt." I didn't understand at the time why that brought big laughs from the audience. Still don't.

Perhaps because it sounds so trivial against the original radio call? "Some nut wants to see the base commander!...and he's wearing a red shirt!"

Maybe it was an unintentional joke - because it does sound more peculiar maybe?

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.   1st: Moore  2nd: Connery  3rd: Brosnan  4th: Dalton   5th: Craig

"I thought Christmas only came once a year."

123

Re: Film Order

Is the red shirt not a reference to communists?

It was either that.....or the priesthood

124

Re: Film Order

Chriscoop wrote:

Is the red shirt not a reference to communists?

Or maybe it's a reference to the trivial characters who are always killed in Star Trek.

125

Re: Film Order

Or it's planting the idea to the audience,  why Bond needs to
change in to a disguise . ajb007/biggrin  This thread is like visiting an aging
relative, with occasional lucid  moments, but only for a general
statement or two.  ajb007/lol