126

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

stag wrote:

A very intersting choice indeed & one I would never have thought of but I do get your point.

Personally I think of Dirk Bogarde. The looks, accent, manners etc.


http://s32.postimg.org/ly6brycsx/dirk_bogarde_jpg_4551.jpg

Here's a "hoax" unreleased Moonraker movie from the 1950's that supposedly starred Dirk Bogarde, which was discussed here a few years back:  https://iansadler.wordpress.com/2011/07 … bond-film/  The creator of the website himself posted a few times about it on AJB, of course confessing to the hoax.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

127

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

May be of interest: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/413790/#p413790

11 songs done for next CD- one being discarded- now the mixing & mastering begins.

128

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

Connery usually.  Probably because the books are set within 10 years of the first film being made.

129

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

For me, Bond always appears as Connery. Even back in the days when I preferred the Moore films, Flemings' Bond depicts a very Conneryesque quality.

M I always see as Bernard Lee and Moneypenny as Lois Maxwell.

For some reason, Leiter appears differently in each novel for me. In Casino Royale it was Jeffrey Wright, for Live and Let Die, it was  David Hedison. It's been ages since I've read Thunderball, so I can't recall who I imagined as Leiter back then and I haven't read any others he's in. It seems a strange quirk.

1. CR 2 OHMSS 3. TSWLM 4. TLD 5. SF 6. FRwL
7. GE 8. LtK 9. DN 10. TMwtGG 11. GF 12. TWiNE
13. FYEO 14. SP 15. OP 16. TB 17. QoS 18. AVtaK
19. MR 20. LaLD 21. TND 22. DAD 23. YOLT 24. DAF

130

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

In most of the novels I see usually see Connery. I see Roger at times in LALD, MR, and TSWLM. I see Lazenby in OHMSS. I see Dalton in the short stories. Most notably in OP and TLD. I would've loved to have seen Dalton do the scenes from the OP story. Brosnan and Craig pop up occasionally.
ajb007/martini

1. GE 2. CR 3. LTK 4. TLD 5. TB 6. FRWL 7. DN 8. OHMSS 9. GF 10. TSWLM 11. QOS 12. TND 13. FYEO 14. OP 15. TWINE 16. AVTAK 17. LALD 18. DAF 19. DAD 20. YOLT 21. MR 22. TMWTGG 23. SF 24. SP

1. Connery 2. Moore 3. Dalton 4. Brosnan 5. Craig 6. Lazenby

131

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

I usually picture a vague "Fleming's Bond" that exists only in my mind's eye. If I had to put a real face to him, it would be something like Jon Hamm in the first season or two of Mad Men. Of the screen Bonds, Lazenby is the only one who occasionally creeps in, probably because his Bond had more emotional depth than Connery's, and the others are just too far removed from the time period when the novels took place.

132

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

I can never place Bond as any face that exists in reality. I just get a sense of what he may look and behave like based on the spirit of the writing. My basic outline for him is someone tall and lanky like Connery with more of the rugged boy like quality of Dalton. It's probably impossible for us 70 years on to picture the kind of man Fleming had in mind at the time.

133

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

Came across this:

https://s4.postimg.org/5cfer1c7d/AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

"Images created by Brian J Davis using a commercially available law enforcement composite sketch software and descriptions of literary characters."

Here's the context: http://thecomposites.tumblr.com/

11 songs done for next CD- one being discarded- now the mixing & mastering begins.

134

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

Barbel wrote:

Came across this:

https://s4.postimg.org/5cfer1c7d/AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

"Images created by Brian J Davis using a commercially available law enforcement composite sketch software and descriptions of literary characters."

Here's the context: http://thecomposites.tumblr.com/

At the risk of offending everyone - but when did that ever stop me  ajb007/rolleyes  - that looks like a woman to me  ajb007/amazed

YNWA: Justice For The 96

Sometimes no news is just bad news taking it's fvcking time

135

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

Sir Miles wrote:
Barbel wrote:

Came across this:

https://s4.postimg.org/5cfer1c7d/AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

"Images created by Brian J Davis using a commercially available law enforcement composite sketch software and descriptions of literary characters."

Here's the context: http://thecomposites.tumblr.com/

At the risk of offending everyone - but when did that ever stop me  ajb007/rolleyes  - that looks like a woman to me  ajb007/amazed

Yes, I concur. It just looks, well, odd. But that's computers for you I suppose! Even the FYEO identigraph was more accurate and that was 1981!  ajb007/lol

Writer @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
Follow TBB on Twitter: Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
Read a sample TBB article: King Ernst I

136

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

Well, then again, Fleming kind of had a bent for masculine women  ajb007/rolleyes

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

137

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

superado wrote:

Well, then again, Fleming kind of had a bent for masculine women  ajb007/rolleyes

Yes, see Tatiana Romanova's boyish behind for an example!  ajb007/biggrin

Writer @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
Follow TBB on Twitter: Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
Read a sample TBB article: King Ernst I

138

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

Timothy Dalton obviously, Fleming describes him to a T.

Dalton Rulez™

139

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

BondJasonBond006 wrote:

Timothy Dalton obviously, Fleming describes him to a T.

Agreed, Dalton is closest to Fleming's Bond. He's my favourite of the Bond actors for that very reason. Of course I love Sir Roger Moore too.  ajb007/martini

Writer @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
Follow TBB on Twitter: Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
Read a sample TBB article: King Ernst I

140

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

Barbel wrote:
The Domino Effect wrote:

I suppose that of the screen Bonds, 'my' Bond most closely resembles Connery, but as someone else suggested that's likely because the books live and breathe the 1950s/60s and Connery is the only one from that era. However, I do hear Connery's voice in my head when I read certain lines that are the same or similar to those from the films. His voice leaps up from the page...but only when it is a line later used by the screenwriter. Interestingly enough however, the villains and the Bondgirls are most definitely the screen villains and Bondgirls.


That just about sums it up for me. Since I first read the Fleming books in the 60s, Sean Connery's face, image and above all voice are what I generally envisage when reading the books... except when Dalton takes over for the (then) unfilmed sequences. Never Moore,  certainly not Lazenby and God forbid Craig- though Brosnan does pop up from time to time!

As I said all those years ago...

11 songs done for next CD- one being discarded- now the mixing & mastering begins.

141

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

Sir Miles wrote:
Barbel wrote:

Came across this:

https://s4.postimg.org/5cfer1c7d/AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

"Images created by Brian J Davis using a commercially available law enforcement composite sketch software and descriptions of literary characters."

Here's the context: http://thecomposites.tumblr.com/

At the risk of offending everyone - but when did that ever stop me  ajb007/rolleyes  - that looks like a woman to me  ajb007/amazed

Funny you should say that; first person I thought of when I saw that picture was Angelina Jolie.

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". -  Homer J Simpson

142

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

http://www.richard-e-grant.com/News/Images/TVAndSatelliteWeek-30thSeptember2014.jpg
I always imagined  a Richard E Grant type as the literary  007

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

143

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

Thunderpussy wrote:

http://www.richard-e-grant.com/News/Images/TVAndSatelliteWeek-30thSeptember2014.jpg
I always imagined  a Richard E Grant type as the literary  007

Didn't he do some of the Bond audiobooks? Might have been considered for the Bond role too I think.

Writer @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
Follow TBB on Twitter: Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
Read a sample TBB article: King Ernst I

144

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

Think he looks similar to Fleming.

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

145

Re: Who do you picture when reading the Bond novels?

Thunderpussy wrote:

Think he looks similar to Fleming.

Yes, and he has the slight toffish element present at least in part in the literary Bond (and Moore's film interpretation). It often gets forgotten about, but it is in my view an integral part of the character separating him from more blue-collar heroes.

Writer @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
Follow TBB on Twitter: Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
Read a sample TBB article: King Ernst I