1

Topic: Bond Cover Version Albums

After a successful day at the charity shops, I thought I'd post details of two Bond-related LPs I bought today.

On the Marble Arch label from 1965, 007 James Bond Thrillers by The Zero Zero Seven Band.


[url=https://postimg.org/image/o3osfn9t1/]
https://s26.postimg.org/o3osfn9t1/hqdefault.jpg[/url]
And on Decca from 1967, Hollywood by Mantovani and his Orchestra with covers of Goldfinger and You Only Live Twice. Dig that groovy cover art!


https://s26.postimg.org/6hlz7z811/R-2668834-1340739548-8467.jpeg.jpg

2

Re: Bond Cover Version Albums

Also a CD of The Essential Sergio Mendes, featuring his cover of The Look of Love from the 1967 Casino Royale.


https://s26.postimg.org/spujyur1h/MI0001679722.jpg

Anyone else got CD/LP finds to share?

3

Re: Bond Cover Version Albums

Listened to both albums while cooking tonight's meal, and much to my surprise, given his (possibly unfair) reputation for syrupy strings, the Mantovani album is a real cracker. It's beautifully orchestrated and recorded: here's his version of Goldfinger
https://youtu.be/uLs39_UQJ7o

And here's You Only Live Twice (only upload I could find, but it'll give you a feel for it)

https://youtu.be/5IfNNvVRTf4

Much as I love the Roland Shaw recordings from the same period, these have a much lighter touch and a really lush feel to them.

4

Re: Bond Cover Version Albums

The James Bond thrillers LP is somewhat less good. The ten tracks contain exactly three which are actually tunes from James Bond movies, the others being big band, or even trad jazz tunes given Bondian titles such as 'M Joins the Hunt'. The Bond covers, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, and Death of Goldfinger, aren't bad - it's always interesting to hear different takes on the material contemporary to the originals.

5

Re: Bond Cover Version Albums

Have you come accross " shaken and stirred " by David Arnold?  It features remakes with contemporary artists such as Pulp,  propeller heads, Martin fry etc.  It's a cracking listen,  but don't play the ohmss track while driving or you'll soon rack up speeding tickets.

https://play.google.com/music/m/Bftze2x … vid_Arnold

It was either that.....or the priesthood

6

Re: Bond Cover Version Albums

Chriscoop wrote:

Have you come accross " shaken and stirred " by David Arnold?  It features remakes with contemporary artists such as Pulp,  propeller heads, Martin fry etc.  It's a cracking listen,  but don't play the ohmss track while driving or you'll soon rack up speeding tickets.

https://play.google.com/music/m/Bftze2x … vid_Arnold

Oh yes, I love that album. Except the version of The James Bond Theme, which as I recall bears no relation to the original whatsoever.

7

Re: Bond Cover Version Albums

Many moons ago, I've bought this (see how desperately a James Bond fan I was) and enjoy his version of LALD.
http://mp3muse.ru/download-music/album/1551998/1.jpg

162435

President of the 'Misty Eyes Fan Club'.
------Sir Miles, keep your filthy fingers off my signature,  !! -------

8

Re: Bond Cover Version Albums

Higgins wrote:

Many moons ago, I've bought this (see how desperately a James Bond fan I was) and enjoy his version of LALD.
http://mp3muse.ru/download-music/album/1551998/1.jpg

Ooh, I actually have a copy of that and clean forgot. I like some of Pourcel's stuff - he recorded over such a long period that his style changed a fair bit. He does a nice cover of Casino Royale, a tune which is, to be fair, absolutely bulletproof.

https://youtu.be/m3qCdKUkor0

9

Re: Bond Cover Version Albums

Bought a bunch of soundtrack CDs today from a friend who's downsizing, including John Barry's Deadfall and The Last Valley soundtracks, and the City of Prague Philharmonics' Bond Back in Action.
https://s26.postimg.org/vi50qn0h1/Bond_Back_in_Action.jpg

10

Re: Bond Cover Version Albums

IanFryer wrote:
Higgins wrote:

Many moons ago, I've bought this (see how desperately a James Bond fan I was) and enjoy his version of LALD.
http://mp3muse.ru/download-music/album/1551998/1.jpg

Ooh, I actually have a copy of that and clean forgot. I like some of Pourcel's stuff - he recorded over such a long period that his style changed a fair bit. He does a nice cover of Casino Royale, a tune which is, to be fair, absolutely bulletproof.

https://youtu.be/m3qCdKUkor0

I love this album, play it all the time. I had it on cassette on 1973, played it until it was worn out, and I've now downloaded it on iTunes.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

11

Re: Bond Cover Version Albums

I borrowed it from the local library back then, taped it ( ajb007/amazed ) then lost it at some point.

11 songs done for next CD- one being discarded- now the mixing & mastering begins.