The Oscars

nick_nacknick_nack Posts: 4MI6 Agent
I know the nominations aren't until January 29th, but i would like to have a little fun with this. I am hoping to have a little friendly campetition between ajb members. I will be hosting a oscar competition.
the competition is just pick who you will think will win the oscar.+
Heres the low down. If you are a fan of the oscars and would like to be in my competition just reply to this post or PM me.

Comments

• The DoveThe Dove Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    Well, personally I would pick:

Best Picture: ROTK

Best Actor: Sean Penn (Mystic River)

Best Actress: Jennifer Connely (House of Sand and Fog) or Charlize Theron (Monster)- although I obviously haven't seen Monster, from what I have seen in clips and in buzz, I base this on.

Best Director: Peter Jackson (ROTK)

What I think WILL win:

Best Picture: Cold Mountain (A good film, but come one, screw the Academy for overlooking a trilogy that set the standard for epics and fantasy, ROTK gets snuffed in classicly snotty fashion.)

Best Actor: Penn

Best Actress: Theron

Director: Jackson in a lovely parting gift for getting hosed on Best Picture (although Sophia Coppola is a long shot that has a chance for Lost in Translation).
  • jamesbondagent007jamesbondagent007 Divided States of TrumpPosts: 236MI6 Agent
    edited January 2004
    Best Picture: The Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King

Best Actor: Ian McKellen - Gandalf - ROTK

Best Supporting Actor: Sean Astin - Sam Gamgee - ROTK

Best Special Effects: ROTK - For Gollum

Best Director: Peter Jackson - ROTK

( Just my opinion :D )
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Good God, how time flies. It's Oscar time again!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    I know my brother is really torn---he was pulling for Heath Ledger to win Supporting Actor...but now Mike Shannon, whom Another Loeff actually knows from Chicago---is also nominated! He's rooting for Shannon, at this point...

I expect Ledger to win...as for the rest, I'm embarrassed to say I've seen almost none of the films this year...but I'll be watching nevertheless B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited February 2009
    My TV's on the blink. *******s, I've not missed a ceremony since 1995!

EDIT: OK it's fine. Skybox froze.
    It's weird seeing an actor presenting the awards. Good opening gags though. Jesus, the guy's got balls. I think Jackman might end up owning the awards. Good song and dance routine as well! Standing ovation 5 minutes in. Bloody hell. Brilliant.
    A 12 year-old wins best original screenplay for the tiresome Milk. Then cries. Pity, In Bruges was so much more fun.
    The Craigster's presenting, with Sarah Jessica Parker. Stumbles over the word meticulous.
    I take back what I said about Jackman. Somebody stop him. Too...Much...Dancing.
    I expect Ledger to win...as for the rest, I'm embarrassed to say I've seen almost none of the films this year...but I'll be watching nevertheless B-)

Ledger it is. Touching speech from his family.
    Very lovely, that.

A good show, so far. I'm even enjoying Jackman's song and dance stuff. He's quite good!
    I'm always extremely moved by the part of the show where they do the video montage of film people who've passed away.

This year, I was a bit annoyed by the way the show's director cut to long shots of the auditorium screen for some of the stars, rather than just putting them on the television X-(

Seems like it was a very deep and important list this year... :'(
    That part always get me too. Liked them using that song as well. Nice touch.
    I bloody hate Kate Winslet. Play the music please Mr Conductor. Get her off the stage.
    She's still there. Go Away!
    That's more like it. Bobby De Niro just called Sean Penn a p**f. :o
    What? They give it to Penn. Get him Mickey. Powerslam him.
    WTF. They just contrasted Harvey Milk with William Wallace. :s
    It's Slumdog Millionaire. Now let the backlash begin! Danny Boyle, all style, no substance. Best Oscar show in years though.
    John Drake wrote:
    WTF. They just contrasted Harvey Milk with William Wallace. :s

I'm sure Sean Penn gave a great performance in Milk---he never gives any other kind---but his sanctimonious political posturing continues to be most wearying. Good for him though; he's got an Oscar. Good thing he wasn't playing a Republican ;) :D
    John Drake wrote:
    Get him Mickey. Powerslam him.

I hope not winning the Oscar doesn't screw up his Wrestlemania gig B-)
    edited February 2009
    John Drake wrote:
    It's Slumdog Millionaire. Now let the backlash begin! Danny Boyle, all style, no substance. Best Oscar show in years though.

I've admired Danny Boyle's work for quite a while now. His Trainspotting is the best movie I'll never, ever, see again. His recent film Sunshine was brilliant.

Agree about the show; very good. Jackman can have this gig anytime he wants to do it.
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    edited February 2009
    John Drake wrote:
    Best Oscar show in years though.
    Ha worst I have seen in the 40 years I have watched the show.

I am glad they changed it up. Just not a fan of the direction they chose. Not a big fan of musicals, this is a celebration of film, lets stick to the movies shall we.
    I'm always extremely moved by the part of the show where they do the video montage of film people who've passed away.

This year, I was a bit annoyed by the way the show's director cut to long shots of the auditorium screen for some of the stars, rather than just putting them on the television
    Agree 100%
  • Another LoeffelholzAnother Loeffelholz "a different position."Posts: 77MI6 Agent
    edited February 2009
    I have to say...I am a HUGE fan of Mr. Ledger and the wonderful portrayal of The Joker that he gave us. Truly, he redefined the character. {[] And, in any other year, I would have been most happy. BUT, and I know this is against the stream; I am disappointed that Mr. Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road) did not take home the trophy. In my opinion (100% unbiased...ofcourse... :v ;% ) his was the best performance of the year. Seriousy,... In only 3 scenes...,I thought he brought undeniable truth and clarity both to his own character, and also...piercingly...to the other characters around him. B-)
    Hey, that's showbiz though...Sometimes an actor's performance gets his/her due, sometimes they don't. Sometimes...actors finally get their due...even after they've gone... {[]
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    I actually saw most of the telecast this year. Pretty entertaining and I have to give props to Jackman for bringing a lot of energy to the proceedings. His opening number was really good and the way he ended it with "I am Wolverine!!" was particularly funny to me.

I'm quite happy for Heath Ledger's family; I only wish Heath himself was around to enjoy all the accolades.

As to the rest of the awards handed out, meh. None of the films that garnered the top honors resonate with me at all and as Wil Smith pointed out, the academy has a habit of ignoring films with big budgets, lots of spectacle...and you know...actual fans. I am incapable of remembering any of the big winners from last year and I'm sure this year's entries will fade into obscurity and insignificance just as quickly. I could have also done without Sean Penn's sanctimonious political tripe.

Finally, on a cynical note, I was really glad that Brangelina were shut out. In a room brimming with phonies, those two struck me as the fakest of the bunch, with their polite applause and frozen smiles.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,309MI6 Agent
    Apropos of absolutely nothing, isn't it amazing that Ernest Borgnine is still alive? :o

Wish they could have a stage reunion of Joseph Wiseman, Ursula Andress and Sean while it's still viable.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited February 2009
    Had to work last night, so, unable to witness zoned out celebs whining about their latest marvelous accomplishments.

How much longer must we deal with Sean "oscar winner" 8-) Penn? Can't stand that smug jerk!

Hugh Jackman, class act.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Having seen just about all the films and performances nominated, I can say that IMO Slumdog Millionaire was the correct choice for Best Picture. Mickey Rourke should have won Best Actor for The Wrestler, but I knew Sean Penn would win because Hollywood wanted to make a political statement about gay rights and gay marriage. Ever since Proposition 8, restricting marriage to opposite sex couples, was passed by the voters of California, Hollywood has been up in arms. So voting for Penn allowed them to make their political statement and Penm, of course, took the opportunity to make his political speech. For the record, I don't care if you are for or against something, I don't like the Oscars being used as a political soap box.

As for the telecast, overall I thought it was good, but agree with the previous mentions concerning the long shots of the monitors on the stage. The viewer at home should be able to see the image in its entirety, not as of you are sitting in the cheap seats at the event. My friends Tony and Rogue should note, that I thought the producers took pains to acknowledge action and comedy films during the production, with some film clip compiliations from various action and comedy films.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    edited February 2009
    My friends Tony and Rogue should note, that I thought the producers took pains to acknowledge action and comedy films during the production, with some film clip compiliations from various action and comedy films.

Well Barry, not to be a contrarian but I'd hardly call a two minute montage out of a 3 1/2 hour show an acknowledgement. They couldn't even be bothered to give the Oscar for best visual effects to Batman or Iron Man, instead choosing to award it to Benjy Button.

The academy almost always thumbs its nose at action and comedy (not to mention sci-fi and comics), choosing instead to recognize small films no one would otherwise notice, or message films so that its members can feel important and good about themselves (thus Sean Penn's unlikely and undeserved victory).

As I said before, the sad fact is that all these films that were honored last night will be forgotten in a matter of weeks and by the time next year's show rolls around, I very much doubt the average man on the street will even be able to remember the "best picture" or "best actor" winners. Even Hugh Jackman poked fun at the fact that he hadn't seen The Reader during his opening number.

As to a few more random observations:

- I was really taken aback by Jerry Lewis' appearance when he was presented the humanitarian award; based on his speech it sounded like he'd had a stroke and I wasn't aware of that.

- I loved Ben Stiller's sendup of Joaquin Phoenix's bizarre appearance on Letterman.

- I thought Another Way to Die was the worst song ever recorded...until I heard those off-key, ear splitting numbers from Slumdog. And they won??!! :o

- The Japanese gentleman who accepted the award for best short film had to have the best acceptance speech of the night.

- Why was Patrick McGoohan not recognized during the In Remembrance segment?
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I watched a delayed telecast on TV. :# Original Screenplay, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Documenary and Foreign Film weren't televised. :s Next year I'm going to watch the Oscars live on the net; that way I won't get a truncated version. X-( X-( X-(
    TonyDP wrote:
    I could have also done without Sean Penn's sanctimonious political tripe.
    I don't think that Penn quite deserved to win the Oscar (IMO Langella was better, and Eastwood in Gran Torino gave the best performance of the year) but I don't begrudge Penn the Oscar as he was wonderful. Anyway I want to defend him. Penn can be very overbearing and quite humourless, and I say that as someone who shares his views. :# However I think his speech was wonderful; it was heartfelt, humble, sombre and even funny when he mentioned how "difficult he often makes it to appreicate him." I also loved it when he acknowledged the wonderful Mickey Rourke. :D

I wouldn't describe his speech on this occasion as sanctimonious at all, and in fact it made me appreciate why De Niro called him a great human being. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman