Last film seen...

MAHOMAHO Posts: 95MI6 Agent
Which was the last film you saw? Old and new. And what did you think of it? Would you recommend it?

For me, it was the oldie "Where Eagles Dare" (1968). I've seen it before. Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as I remembered it. I'd still recommend, even though the dispense-of-belief-requirements are a little too much at times.

While typing, I'm watching a music video: "Deep Purple in concert with the London Symphony Orchestra", rec. 1999. Fantastic stuff. Highly recommended.

---
jfm

Comments

• General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    edited July 2004
    The last film I saw was "The Naked Gun" (1988).

Probably still the funniest film of the three, Leslie Nielsen is really at his best. I find these films hilarious from start to finish, and I'm quite a fan of them.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    The Masque of The Red Death on telly, a B-movie with Vincent Price, Jane Asher and our friend Robert Brown (M) in a small role.

Not crazy about it, Vincent didn't seem evil enough, there wasn't much sex, in fact he seemed a poor apology for a devil worshipper. Didn't help that those sycophants in his court all seemed a bit witless. It all seemed to anticipate the first Black Adder series.

I think the Pit and Pendulum was better.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The last film I watched was Coogan's Bluff which has now made it's way to dvd. (1968) It's as good as I remembered from my parent's video tape. The "Pigeon-Toed Orange Peel" which is a pyschedelic acid song is catchy and at the end there's a great view from the helicopter as actress Susan Clark gets smaller and smaller. Highly recommended. Clint Eastwood, LJ Kobb, and Don Stroud star. And Susan (best remembered as Emmannueal Lewis' mom in Webster is gorgeous with that red hair.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    In the theater: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

At home: The Man With The Golden Gun :)
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Last movie I saw was Spiderman 2. Before that, I can't remember. I don't go to the movies that much. And watching movies at home isn't my cup of tea.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • wormloverwormlover Formerly Derbyshire, UKPosts: 46MI6 Agent
    The last film I saw was 28 Days Later (it was just on Sky) which is a pretty good n' scary horror movie considering it was my birthday and thundering outside

The last movie I saw in the cinema was Shaun of the dead which is the best comedy I have seen in a long time. Look out for it in America soon!
  • Hugo DraxHugo Drax Leeds, United Kingdom.Posts: 210MI6 Agent
    edited July 2004
    Shrek 2. Not sure if it beats the first one, but I really enjoyed it anyway.
  • RobinsonRobinson Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    The last film I saw was Signs with Mel Gibson. I bought the tape a good year ago but never got around the watching it. I was very impressed. Most of the movie was very similar to Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The ending though kept people guessing as to what was going on. I recommend it!!
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Last film I watched was El Mariachi on DVD - It is the original Desperado - both are directed by Robert Rodriguez -who completes his trilogy of gun toting guitar playing tales with Once upon a time in Mexico, with a fantastic performance by Johnny Depp. My wife bought me the boxset -and although I watched Desperado and OUTIM as soon as I got the DVD's a couple of month's ago - I didn't actually watch El Mariachi until yesterday. It was funny to watch as you see elements that have been carried over into the much bigger budgeted subsequent films. :)
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    The last film I saw at the movies was Van Helsing and the last one at home was Operation Kid Brother. I enjoyed both.
    YNWA 97
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Yesterday was 99 cent night at my favorite DVD place, so I rented The Butterly Effect. Despite the MTV Cast Beautiful and the snotty Avril Levigne-esque attitude, a pretty interesting thriller. The last film in the theater I saw was the Coen Brothers' remake of The Ladykillers, which was playing at the $2.00. And I'm off to the same $2.00 theater to see The Alamo. Hmmmm. . .do I see a pattern developing here?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    edited July 2004
    Earlier today I watched "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". For some odd reason, a lot of people (including Indy fans) tend to dislike this film. But I love it! My favorite is "The Last Crusade", but this one is still great. Indiana Jones is one of the only movies series that I think got better as they went along. Watch this film. It's a wild, fun ride!
  • wormloverwormlover Formerly Derbyshire, UKPosts: 46MI6 Agent
    Quoting yodboy007:
    Earlier today I watched "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". For some odd reason, a lot of people (including Indy fans) tend to dislike this film. But I love it! My favorite is "The Last Crusade", but this one is still great. Indiana Jones is one of the only movies series that I think got better as they went along. Watch this film. It's a wild, fun ride!

Yeah, your right, Indiana Jones is my favourite film (last crusade anyway) and I love the Temple of Doom just as much as the others, the whole Lauche (however spelt) bar scene going through the chinese mountains to surf down a cliff on a river raft to end up in India. Can't beat it really, sure it's darker than the other two but it puts Indiana Jones on track with his paranormal sides. Ooh eeh oooh
    edited July 2004
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Yesterday was 99 cent night at my favorite DVD place, so I rented The Butterly Effect.

I've recently seen this film too Hardyboy - and I really enjoyed it. Perhaps it was because I didn't expect too much from it and was therefore pleasently suprised when it told a decent story.

What did you think of The Ladykillers ? It hasn't had good reviews over here, but then again, it will always be measured up to the original.
    YNWA 97
    Actually, The Ladykillers didn't get particularly good reviews on this side of the pond, either. I thought it was OK--not a great movie, but it had some excellent Coen Brothers touches and a few hilarious scenes. I honestly can't compare it to the original (I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my must-rent list), but I've heard that the Coens took the concept but little else.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    You haven't seen the original ??? Shame on you :# Go and rent it immediately !
    YNWA 97
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    You haven't seen the original ??? Shame on you :# Go and rent it immediately !

Sheesh! I'd already rented it and had it on my coffee table when you wrote this post, so :p to you, Sir M! The original is a good film with a great cast, and I liked it. It's hard to compare it to the Coen Bros. remake, though; the plots are essentially the same, but the characters, dialogue, setting, and attitude are completely different. It's as if the Coens found a version of Ladykillers that Tennessee Williams wrote before he died, and then they gave it to Snoop Dogg to add some hip-hop elements. A strange combination to say the least.

So the most recent film I've rented is now the 1955 Ladykillers, and the most recent film I've seen in a theater is the 2004 Alamo. If you have trouble sleeping, see if your neighborhood cheap theater is showing that one!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Most recent film I'd seen at the cinema: Harry Potter and the etc etc. Is it a cliche to say that the book is much better? Well, it is. The book is so elegantly constructed to make everything knot together at the end; because of the constraints of film, they had to remove some of this, which was too bad.

Most recent film on DVD: Spiderman and Little Women, watched as a kind of Dunst double bill. Spiderman was good, though am I alone in thinking it would have been a lot better if the Green Goblin just wasn't in it at all? And Little Women was, of course, great, and actually better than the book in some ways... though it still, consistently, and always will break my heart that Jo turns down Laurie. Are you mad, woman?!?!
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    The last film I saw at the cinema was harry Potter which I really enjoyed but then I haven't read the books so I could take it at face value.

As for DVD,the last film was Gothika with Halle Berry.Not sure if I enjoyed it or not.Interesting storyline but a touch too long.Quite a good performance from Penelope Cruz and Robert Downey Jnr but I really think Berry is a hammy actor.Watch it if there is nothing else on....
  • one night standone night stand Posts: 127MI6 Agent
    Quoting jetsetwilly:

Most recent film I'd seen at the cinema: Harry Potter and the etc etc. Is it a cliche to say that the book is much better? Well, it is. The book is so elegantly constructed to make everything knot together at the end; because of the constraints of film, they had to remove some of this, which was too bad.

I agree.

The last in the cinema for me was Harry Potter and like I said I agree with jetset.

The last film at my house was the recent film, The Count of Monte Cristo. I really enjoyed it and thought it was well made film. I have been trying for a year to read the book but something always comes up or I'll read another book. I have a good reason to read it now.
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Sheesh! I'd already rented it and had it on my coffee table when you wrote this post, so :p to you, Sir M! The original is a good film with a great cast, and I liked it.

Okay, okay ;) Glad you finally got around to watching this gem, not sure if I fancy watching the re-make, or re-imagination as the American directors like to call them now !
    YNWA 97
  • The BaronThe Baron Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    Ash Wednesday with Edward Burns. It was ok cool parts were about early 80's in Manhattan. They may have used the F word more times than Scarface.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited July 2004
    Quoting jetsetwilly:
    And Little Women was, of course, great, and actually better than the book in some ways... though it still, consistently, and always will break my heart that Jo turns down Laurie. Are you mad, woman?!?!

Broke my heart when I was 10 and still does... have never ever accepted and it and can't stand their sequal relationships. Bah!

Last film seen in the theater Shaolin Soccer... LOVED IT. Whacky, inventive, slide spittlingly funny and just plain fun. Shame on Miramax for holding on to it for 2 years, finally releasing it but only in dribs and drabs and cutting out 30 minutes of it!

Last DVD watched, Guys and Dolls so I could relive my childhood crush on Brando. *sigh*

MBE
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    I just saw another film today called Metallica-Some Kind Of Monster. I would recommend this film to anyone who is a Metallica fan. Briefly, it looks into the recording of their album St. Anger. There's a lot more to it to. It shows why it took almost 2 years to record the album (see the movie if you want to know why).
    I say go see this movie. It's easier to watch if your a Metallica fan. But if your a fan of music, go see this movie. It might open your eyes to the fact that, even if your favorite band seems like friends on stage, it might just be a mask. Once again, its called: Some Kind Of Monster.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • SPECTRENumber1SPECTRENumber1 L.O.Posts: 75MI6 Agent
    The last film I saw was...um...Volcano. It obviously wasn't oscar worthy, but it was good mindless entertainment.
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    The Journey w/Y Brunner
    Skyjacked w/C Heston
    Brass Target w/S Loren

BT bored me , the others were good but not great , imo.
  • NAOMI_FAN 1NAOMI_FAN 1 Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    The last movie I saw in the theater was Spiderman 2!
    The last movie I saw on DVD was Detonator (aka Death Train) starring Pierce Brosnan, Patrick Stewart and Christopher Lee! Good stuff!!
  • MAHOMAHO Posts: 95MI6 Agent
    I just sat through a Clint Eastwood "festival" on DVD. We saw all Dirty Harry movies in one row.

Next in line is "The Fugitive" (1993), which I shamed to admit I haven't seen yet.

After that, we've decided on a Pam Grier "festival". Any suggestions besides "Coffy", "Foxy Brown", "Jackie Brown" and "Black Mama, White Mama". Not that won't be enough.

---
    jfm
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    16 Years Of Alcohol by Richard Jobson.

Very disappointed, walked out. Started off very well with a quote (in voiceover form) about how hope is the currency of people who know they're losing in life... the more hope you have, the more the taste sours.

Sadly, this voice over continues throughout the film, sort of fortune cookie aphorisms as the lead (kevin McKidd, the sporty guy from Trainspotting with cropped hair here) tells us what we should be thinking in just about every scene... that "love is like a warm breeze, but when people lose hope, it becomes cold" and we hear chilly breeze on the soundtrack... and so on.

It's set in Glasgow I think, or Edinburgh, and follows a troubled youth about to be redeemed by the love of his life, but sadly McKidd is 30 if he's a day, not 18 as he's surely meant to be here.

Not sure if there's a genre either in which interaction between the characters is delieberatly devoid of any ring of truth, if so, Jobson's found it.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Quoting MAHO:
    I just sat through a Clint Eastwood "festival" on DVD. We saw all Dirty Harry movies in one row.

Next in line is "The Fugitive" (1993), which I shamed to admit I haven't seen yet.

After that, we've decided on a Pam Grier "festival". Any suggestions besides "Coffy", "Foxy Brown", "Jackie Brown" and "Black Mama, White Mama". Not that won't be enough.

---
    jfm

Which Callahan was your fav? :)

And as for the Pam Grier festival, try Friday Foster (with Yaphet Kotto!) - or the Big Doll House Or Arena Or any of 'em, Pam rocks!