Hello, and a couple of questions please

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum,but would like to introduce myself. First, I hail from the Great USA, South Jersey to be exact. I have been a Bond fan all my Life. Sean Connery is my Favorite Bond. The First Bond film I saw was Goldfinger with my Father when it was first broad casted on ABC. I have read all the Fleming Novels. My collection consits of various scale Diecast vehicles, books and the SideShow Figures. Which leads me to my question. Among other things I am a Modeler. I want to build a 1/6 scale Rocketbelt from "Thunderball" Do any of the experts know where I can either get a Kit of the Rocketbelt Or Blueprints so I can Scratch Build my own? Any help would be Greatly appreciated. High Regards, Mark

Comments

• asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    Welcome to AJB!
    For rocketbelt blueprints, you could ask here: http://www.rocketbelt.nl/site.html
    Or here: http://www.canosoarus.com/07RocketBelt/Rocket01.htm
    Best of luck, and I'd like to know how you go, with pictures too, please! :D
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • GyrojetGyrojet Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    edited October 2005
    I WISH Sideshow would get their finger out and make this one already!!
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Gyrojet wrote:
    I WISH Sideshow would get their finger out and make this one already!!

Gyro, do you remember on the Sideshow board, that a 1/6th scale customizer had plans for an extremely accurate jetpack, which was eventually shelved?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    I want to build a 1/6 scale Rocketbelt from "Thunderball" Do any of the experts know where I can either get a Kit of the Rocketbelt Or Blueprints so I can Scratch Build my own?

You have a few options, though nothing in exact 1/6 unless you want to scratch build one yourself.

Python Press issued a 1/8 resin model kit of Bond wearing the belt several years back. Not entirely accurate but a dramatic display overall. Not sure of availability; pretty sure it's out of production and don't know about resources like eBay.

Ideal Toy made a doll in the mid-60s called Captain Action. One accessory was alternately called an "anti-gravity," "power," or "jet" pack. Though CA was a 1/6 scale figure, this nearly exact replica--ignoring the garish color scheme--of the Bell Rocketbelt is again closer to 1/8. Nonetheless, it's the path I chose for accessorizing my custom Bond figure. (See: http://img439.imageshack.us/full.php?image=rocketbeltedit6ng.jpg) I added a few details, repainted the tanks of course, built a proper back support and harness, etc.

There's plenty of info on CA throughout the web; you might start with http://members.aol.com/doctrquest/. I bought my pack pre-eBay when they were harder to find; I think they're easier to come by now and more reasonably priced, too.

If you insist on absolute accuracy, there's plenty of documentation available. Since the belt was a real device, if you search outside Bond you'll find lots of photos and articles; both Popular Science and Popular Mechanics had cover stories in the early to mid-60s. The Legacy book contains a blueprint for the lightweight substitute which Connery wore and the disintegrating original prop was displayed in Harrods in 2002 for the Die Another Day launch. Though photography isn't allowed in the store, I happened to ask the right clerk who let me shoot all memorabilia thus I have at least one pic of the belt.

Hope this helps.
  • CONNERYSEANCONNERYCONNERYSEANCONNERY Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it. If I find out any thing I will post it for the rest of you guys. High Regards, Mark
  • GyrojetGyrojet Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    edited October 2005
    [Gyro, do you remember on the Sideshow board, that a 1/6th scale customizer had plans for an extremely accurate jetpack, which was eventually shelved?[/quote]

Yes,that was a company called Custom replicas under their "accurate miniatures" brand.
    The reason i was given for it s discontinuation was that the master model maker was a very temperamental artisan,who could nt be rushed.Therefore,they decided to axe it.A real pity.

Just found a link for it
    http://www.customreplicas.com/rocket_belt.htm
    Thanks, Gyrojet. I hope he changes his mind!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    edited December 2006
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    Python Press issued a 1/8 resin model kit of Bond wearing the belt several years back. Not entirely accurate but a dramatic display overall. Not sure of availability; pretty sure it's out of production and don't know about resources like eBay.

Alan, do you have this kit? It was promoted as 1/6th scale, but I wonder how large or small it is in comparison to Sideshow figures?
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Hmmm, well there is always this....

jetpack9.jpg
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    The Mantis wrote:

jetpack9.jpg

That is fantastic ! So, Mantis, whom do I kill to get one ? :))

Please tell us more about this item.
    YNWA 97
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:

Please tell us more about this item.

And give us a picture of the pack!