Fancy Dress

I am going to a Bond themed party in the New Year. I want to go dressed as Gustav Graves in Full fencing gear but am having trouble finding the clothing. It is a bit pricey to buy new just for one night. Any suggestions??

Comments

• Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    Tarquin wrote:
    I am going to a Bond themed party in the New Year. I want to go dressed as Gustav Graves in Full fencing gear but am having trouble finding the clothing. It is a bit pricey to buy new just for one night. Any suggestions??

Here's a thought:Why not ignore the fencing togs altogether and just wear the most elegant tuxedo you can find--one with extra features such as a sash and white gloves(Graves always overdresses to some degree).And then strut like a peacock while casually brandishing a sword.

No other James Bond villain is a swordsman, so your friends should easily recognize you as Colonel Moon's alter ego,"Gustav Graves". For whatever it's worth,this is what I'd do in your place.

Good luck and have fun!
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    Tarquin wrote:

Even before DAD I had looked at fencing masks just for fun (I have alot of iconic hats in my entryway) and found that even at flea markets/boot sales they weren't cheap. You've got a couple of months; try Googling "fencing mask used" or--I hate to say it--have a look on eBay: There are some sitting at US$ 10-15 right now though who knows what they might be at the final gavel.

I agree, with the other poster: The rapier alone might do. You won't be able to eat and/or drink with the mask on and will likely just wind-up carrying it around. Or you could wear a suit with a parachute pack; that might be just as recognizable