Topic: John Glen's Birds

Now I know John Glen's directorial signature is birds being disturbed unexpectedly, and I've found his signature in all his films except AVTAK. Can anyone tell when his signature appears during this film?

Nobody Writes Threads Better.

Re: John Glen's Birds

Well the nearest I can get with that is when Bond disturbs the cat as he enters Stacey Sutton's house. Maybe the cat ate the bird...  ajb007/biggrin

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

SeanConnery007 wrote:

Now I know John Glen's directorial signature is birds being disturbed unexpectedly, and I've found his signature in all his films except AVTAK. Can anyone tell when his signature appears during this film?

Well, now I have a valid excuse to watch AVTAK again.

An excuse, darenhat? You should jump at the chance to see it again. ajb007/wink

As an AVTAK enthusiast though, I can't say I recall one of John Glen's startled birds! We do have the cat being scared, but I think that's the closest we get.

Not that it's the best source (although it's not the worst either), but Bond Films by Jim Smith & Stephen Lavington (Virgin, 2002) has this to say:

"...director John Glen (pigeons replaced by a caged bird in Sutton's San Francisco mansion)."

I once posted the same exact question (if you have the patience look 4 or 5 pages back) and I think we had reached a consensus that there are no birds in AVTAK...

1. Tld, 2. Ltk, 3. Cr, 4. Qs, 5. Frwl, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Ohmss, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Fyeo, 20. Sp, 21. Avtak, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg

Maybe it's John Glen's way of distancing himself from that movie.  A bit like when directors use false names when directing.

SeanConnery007 wrote:

At one hour, seventeen minutes and fifty-eight seconds into the film.  Bond is asleep on a chair at Sutton's place; a tremor wakes him up, startles the cat off his his lap and... disturbs the caged birds! ajb007/smile

Isn't Glen's signature doves, specifically?

Nah; that's John Woo you're thinking of there; Glen is much more downmarket: pigeons! ajb007/biggrin

FYEO -  The Pigeons on St Cyrils, Greece during Bond's mountain climbing
OP - The Pigeons on Monsoon Palace, India as Bond sneaks around the building's edge. Again as Bond and OP are sleeping before the attack on the palace.
AVTAK - No Pigeons. Instead, Glen uses birds in Stacey Sutton's birdcage in San Francisco, CA
TLD -  The Pigeons on the roof of Whittaker's Palace in Tangier, Morocco. Again, when Bond sneaks inside to execute Whittaker at the end, you see Pigeons being scared off by the pool area.
LTK - Pigeons on the building of Sanchez's bank as Bond sets a bomb off, he scares them off

Another common John Glen act:

FYEO - Ct Cyrils, Greece - Apostis falls to his death (* A dummy)
OP - Delhi, India - Gobinder falls to his death from Kamal's airplane (Same scream from Moonraker)
AVTAK - San Francisco, California - The man gets thrown out of Zorin's blimp by May Day. Another one! Zorin falls to his death from the Golden Gate Bridge
TLD - Afghanistan - Necros falls to his death (Same scream from Moonraker & OP)
LTK - Florida Keys - Bond kicking out two men from the aircraft into the ocean

Common style Car chases:

FYEO - Citroen 2CV Car Chase
OP - Tuk Tuk Car Chase (India) then an ordinary car chase (Berlin, Germany)
AVTAK - Taxi Chase (Paris) then firetruck chase (San Francisco)
TLD - Ice Chase Aston Martin V8
LTK - Tanker Chase in the desert

All of Bond's allies die:

FYEO - Louige
OP - Vijay
AVTAK - Tibbet AND Chuck Lee CIA
TLD - Saunders
LTK - Sharky 

Last One - End Credits look the Same on All Movies except LTK

Last edited by Wadsy (10th Sep 2015 23:19)

1. FYEO 2. TLD 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. OHMSS 6. TSWLM 7. GF  8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. DN 11. SP 12. MR 13. SF  14. CR 15. TB 16. LALD 17. GE 18. YOLT 19. TND 20. TMWTGG 21. TWINE 22. TND 23. DAF 24. DAD

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Lazenby 5. Craig  6. Brosnan

Wadsy wrote:

LTK - Mexico - I don't know if it counts, but Dario falling and getting shredded by the machine

The guy he throws out of the plane...wait the two guys!

2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP

Yeah but they didn't die like the rest of them, did they?

1. FYEO 2. TLD 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. OHMSS 6. TSWLM 7. GF  8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. DN 11. SP 12. MR 13. SF  14. CR 15. TB 16. LALD 17. GE 18. YOLT 19. TND 20. TMWTGG 21. TWINE 22. TND 23. DAF 24. DAD

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Lazenby 5. Craig  6. Brosnan

Wadsy wrote:

Yeah but they didn't die like the rest of them, did they?

Hitting the water from that height & speed? I say they were fish food.

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

For the second guy I think Krest says pick him up, but doesn't mean he's alive

2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP

Swimming pools... Think about that...  ajb007/wink  ajb007/biggrin

ggl007 wrote:

Swimming pools... Think about that...  ajb007/wink  ajb007/biggrin

Okay, so what's your point? ajb007/smile

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

fyeo - gonzales villa
OP - when bond and magda have dinner
Avtak - no pool??
TLD - tangiers at whittakers
LTK - Pool at the end?
ajb007/confused

Bondage007 wrote:

fyeo - gonzales villa
Avtak - no pool??
LTK - Pool at the end?
ajb007/confused

AVTAK has something close. "The bubbles tickle my ... Tchaikovsky!"

Yes, I was trying to figure out where the swimming pool was in AVTAK.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

What? no pigeons in AVTAK? has anybody double checked this? there's always pigeons coming out of an unexpected place in John Glen's films.

Doesn't he disturb some pigeons in the car chase?

EDIT:  No he doesn't  ajb007/lol

Last edited by Asp9mm (14th Sep 2015 08:53)

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Matt S wrote:
Bondage007 wrote:

fyeo - gonzales villa
Avtak - no pool??
LTK - Pool at the end?
ajb007/confused

AVTAK has something close. "The bubbles tickle my ... Tchaikovsky!"

That's my point, of course. Another common item in a John Glen film...  ajb007/biggrin

Thanks for that great list, Wadsy!  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).