Bond Beats Bourne Arse

youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
Well, after that lovely little post by that lovely little user who couldn't keep his fingers from typing four letter words I thought I would post a topic thread regarding Mi6's report of how Bond toppled Bourne in a recent online poll. They also went on to say that the box office speaks even louder, with CR beating out Bourne Ultimatum in revenue. Although the poll is good and shows that Bond has a popularity lead (at least from the online sector of the gaming population...huge spy movie goers) the box office revenues don't speak to whether or not Craig's Bond is beating Damon's Bourne. I think we have to compare three Craig films to three Damon films. Bourne's initial and second outing brought in heaps too, and once adjusted for inflation and totalled with the third film, could outweigh what Craig does in three Bond films. I am not saying Craig will be beat out in the box office over three films, at least I hope not, but he might. Anyways, discuss this news boys and girls!

Link to Mi6 page:
http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=5681

Link to board posting on IGN's website:
http://boards.ign.com/stars_lobby/b23910/155367845/r155503282/

I especially like VanillaGorilla7's comment regarding the shakey cam...hillarious.
"We have all the time in the world..."

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    So I guess that means the tapdancing penguins beat 'em both? 8-)
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    That'd be right. Holds true for me too, I have seen the tapdancing penguins like 10 times, CR only 9...:# Kids always screw up tidy little box office comparisons! X-(
    "We have all the time in the world..."
    CTrent49 wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:

Are talking about the U.S. box office only? Or the world wide profits?

No; just talking with my tongue firmly in my cheek. :p <-- See?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited December 2007
    Hardyboy wrote:
    CTrent49 wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:

You always were a cunning linguist...
  • Martini007Martini007 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    edited December 2007
    Personaly, a crossover Bond/Bourne, {[]
    It could be amazing ! (But it's impossible of course. Never say dreaming again !;))
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    I'm all for a crossover featuring James Bond and the dancing penguins.It's a natural team-up.Eon could call it Tuxedos Are Forever or Tuxedoes Never Die.
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 236MI6 Agent
    Its not just a question of Craig beating Bourne over 3 movies it is whether James Bond as a character beats Jason Bourne at the box office.

If you look at the box office for the 3 Bourne movies:

Identity 2002 $213,925,107
    Supremacy 2004 $288,500,217
    Ultimatum 2007 $441,161,071

And then compare to the Bond movies made closest to these:

TWINE 1999 $361,832,408
    DAD 2002 $431,971,116
    CR 2007 $594,239,066

Bond whether PB or DC has consistantly beat Bourne at the box office.

The Bourne movies have been very successful (and I really like them)but there seems to be a mindset that they have been more sucessful than Bond which is clearly not the case.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    I like both but at the end ofthe day: Bond Beats Bourne Arse
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

Well quite. I'm not sure why this matters- the Bourne films are still cracking and -whisper it- you're allowed to enjoy both.
    Sigh. Em, what part of this post--
    Hardyboy wrote:
    CTrent49 wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:

--did you miss? :s :s :s
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited January 2008
    Sigh, Hardy- I didn't. I was agreeing with you.
    I rather thought that you might be making a light-hearted comment along the lines that none of these numbers actually matter- both Bourne and Bond did well, so did a film about penguins. It only matters if one actually enjoys the films- foolishly I thought you might be making a fun point along the lines that CR is still good film, whether or not another film made more money.
    I guess, em, your irony and my cynicism (or is it the other way around?) aren't a good match. I'll try to be more observant next time!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited January 2008
    Cheers Hardy- reading it back I suppose I could have been clearer that I was saying that "none of the subject matter of this thread really matters" rather than anything you were saying; but some benefit of the doubt wouldn't go amiss occasionally.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    I've watched all five Bourne films over the weekend - at least two of them for the first time. Comparing them with Daniel Craig's four Bond movies, I think it's fair to say the following. The biggest single influence on the Bond movies is previous Bond movies, but for the Craig Bonds the next biggest influence is Bourne. QOS comes closest to Bourne, in narrative, style and tone, but all four trade on Bourne to varying extents. Craig Bond never does Bourne as well as Bourne, any more than TWMTGG does Kung Fu better than 'Enter the Dragon' or MR does 'Star Wars' better than 'Star Wars'. Bourne started out as fresh, a trendsetter for the revamped spy thriller, but certainly by its fifth outing it's a well established and even rather tired genre itself. In 'Jason Bourne' the car chase on the Sunset Strip is DAF for the 21st century, even down to momentary shots of onlookers lining the sidewalk... If I had to rate all nine films, the Craig Bonds and the Bournes, in rank order of preference, Bond would probably occupy the top three, but my favourite Bourne, the Jeremy Renner one, would pip to the post at least one Craig.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • DavidJonesDavidJones BermondseyPosts: 253MI6 Agent
    Shady Tree wrote:
    I've watched all five Bourne films over the weekend - at least two of them for the first time. Comparing them with Daniel Craig's four Bond movies, I think it's fair to say the following. The biggest single influence on the Bond movies is previous Bond movies, but for the Craig Bonds the next biggest influence is Bourne. QOS comes closest to Bourne, in narrative, style and tone, but all four trade on Bourne to varying extents. Craig Bond never does Bourne as well as Bourne, any more than TWMTGG does Kung Fu better than 'Enter the Dragon' or MR does 'Star Wars' better than 'Star Wars'. Bourne started out as fresh, a trendsetter for the revamped spy thriller, but certainly by its fifth outing it's a well established and even rather tired genre itself. In 'Jason Bourne' the car chase on the Sunset Strip is DAF for the 21st century, even down to momentary shots of onlookers lining the sidewalk... If I had to rate all nine films, the Craig Bonds and the Bournes, in rank order of preference, Bond would probably occupy the top three, but my favourite Bourne, the Jeremy Renner one, would pip to the post at least one Craig.

I'm surprised anyone likes Legacy. I called it The Bourne Atrocity.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    The shining light of Legacy is Mrs. Daniel Craig!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,234MI6 Agent
    I personally think Bourne is really, really terrible. I thought they were awful films, and it annoys me that it is compared to Bond as it is nothing like it.

Mission Impossible, while still no bond, is a better comparison, and is miles better than the awful Bourne.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    With Fallout being better than SPECTRE, however much I love SPECTRE and think it might be the best of the series.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    With Fallout being better than SPECTRE, however much I love SPECTRE and think it might be the best of the series.

Sort of agree with you there. I think Fallout was a fantastic film, and yes, better than Spectre...but I also think Spectre was a great film—would definitely be in my top 10 if I put some rankings together—and that it doesn't deserve all the hate it gets.