Re: Sunglasses at Panama

It seems very strange to me that a company would spend large money having a product featured in a Bond movie, yet not have the product avail.

its possible they didnt  spend any money and teh costume desigtner just picked them up somewhere.

Also, sometimes the product placements are simply meant to raise awareness of a brand rather than to advertise a specific product.  Ericsson's placement in TND comes to mind (there was never a JB988 model phone released).

Last edited by urhash (15th Feb 2008 22:00)

I read an article that talked about how they were spending the money to get featured in the Bond movie, something special about the lens.

Hi all,
Just received some more information regarding these rather ellusive sunglasses. Firstly an email direct from the horses mouth which I am afraid doesn't breed much hope.

Hi Kevin,

Sorry, not good news I’m afraid.

Please see attached e-mail.

I’m guessing that it was an aviator type style, in which case there are a few alternatives for you to have a look at on the website.
Regards,

James Bryan Opticians

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Francesca Tanedo [mailto:FTanedo@oliverpeoples.com]
Sent: 14 February 2008 19:58
To: James Bryan Opticians
Subject: RE: airman

Hello!

Unfortunately the frame has been discontinued and there are no longer any frames in any colors available.

Francesca Tanedo
Oliver Peoples, Inc.
8447 Wilshire Blvd. 4th Floor
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
ftanedo@oliverpeoples.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: James Bryan Opticians [mailto:orders@eyeballs.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:27 AM
To: Francesca Tanedo
Subject: airman

Hi Francesca,

Could you let me know the GBP retail of “Airman” Chrome/Sapphire and whether it is available?

Many thanks,

James Bryan Opticians

But on a more positive note. I also received this email regarding a possible re-issue!!!

Hi -

I’ve just found out why I’m receiving so many enquiries about a discontinued frame! I’m waiting for Oliver Peoples to get back to me about re-issuing the Airman in light of probable new demand and I’ll let you know as soon as I hear back from them.

Regards

Adam

----------------------------------
Adam Simmonds
87 Regents Park Road
NW1 8UY
tel: 020 7813 1234
fax: 020 7813 1235
www.adamsimmonds.co.uk

Anyway I promise to keep all informed with what ever I hear.

GREAT NEWS.

Hi Everyone.

I knew persistance would wear them down.

Just received this email from an optician that I have been in contact with,.....

Hi Kevin -

I’ve been busy on your behalf and have found out a lot more about the sunglasses that you want.

Firstly, the frames supplied to Daniel Craig are definitely the Airman in silver. A friend of mine supplied them to the production team who requested that the lenses be changed to a solid dark grey rather than the originally supplied graduated lenses.

I have spoken to the right people at Oliver Peoples and, yes, they’re going to re-make them. (Frankly, given the worldwide success of Persols 2244 and 2720 on the last film, they’d be mad not to). The only slight problem is that here and now, I can’t give you a firm price because I don’t know with absolute certainty which lenses will be supplied (the frame is identical regardless of lens type). And I also don’t know when they’ll be ready.

The RRPs for the Airman are from £183.00 to £255.00 depending on lens type. My guess is that OP will supply two options – polarised or not, which will look identical, and therefore give a cheaper option at £183.00.

I’m going to order a good few of them and am currently taking deposits on my website on a strictly first-come first-served basis. Here’s the link:

http://www.adamsimmonds.co.uk/buy-onlin … cts_id=844

I’ll keep you updated regardless.

Hope that’s helpful.

All the best

Adam

Adam Simmonds
87 Regents Park Road
NW1 8UY
www.adamsimmonds.co.uk

Just put my deposit down!

Hope this is of help to all you fellow bond addicts, now I just have to go home and explain to the wife!

avekev wrote:

GREAT NEWS.

Hi Everyone.

I knew persistance would wear them down.

Just received this email from an optician that I have been in contact with,.....

Hi Kevin -

I’ve been busy on your behalf and have found out a lot more about the sunglasses that you want.

Firstly, the frames supplied to Daniel Craig are definitely the Airman in silver. A friend of mine supplied them to the production team who requested that the lenses be changed to a solid dark grey rather than the originally supplied graduated lenses.

I have spoken to the right people at Oliver Peoples and, yes, they’re going to re-make them. (Frankly, given the worldwide success of Persols 2244 and 2720 on the last film, they’d be mad not to). The only slight problem is that here and now, I can’t give you a firm price because I don’t know with absolute certainty which lenses will be supplied (the frame is identical regardless of lens type). And I also don’t know when they’ll be ready.

The RRPs for the Airman are from £183.00 to £255.00 depending on lens type. My guess is that OP will supply two options – polarised or not, which will look identical, and therefore give a cheaper option at £183.00.

I’m going to order a good few of them and am currently taking deposits on my website on a strictly first-come first-served basis. Here’s the link:

I’ll keep you updated regardless.

Hope that’s helpful.

All the best

Adam

Adam Simmonds
87 Regents Park Road
NW1 8UY
www.adamsimmonds.co.uk

Just put my deposit down!

Hope this is of help to all you fellow bond addicts, now I just have to go home and explain to the wife!

Great job Avekev ..... ajb007/cheers

Avekev,

I second, great job!

DG

So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee124/DonaldGrantPhotos/image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."  Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Nice! Well done!

nice one indeed..and such an easy website..

they even take paypal!... ajb007/cheers

"You must give me the name of your occulist"

If like me you bought both pairs of the Persol's from CR then this link will be of interest, its from the supplier I got my Persol's from and is a well known London optician, but it looks as those outside of the EU can have them shipped as well>

LINK

Hmmm, so these are discontinued and not as standard then?

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

They are definitely the Oliver People Airman, however looking at the last video that has been released, they looks more light gold than silver. Anybody has noticed that? However we will know it when Oliver Peoples will start promoting the 007 sunglasses model. In the mean time I was lucky and found them new, on e-bay, for $165. Not so bad.