Never Say Never Again Watch

I was browsing through Never Say Never again taking screen shots and came across this black ip wristwatch Sean Connery uses to break his chains with a laser. I'm thinking it's some kind of Seiko. It has a really interesting 5 link bracelet configuration. Anyone have any information on this one?

Picture6.png
Picture8.png

Comments

• Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    To my knowledge, the watch itself has never been positively identified. Likewise, it would be interesting to know what watch Algernon discards before giving Bond his new watch since it was Bond's real watch. Since you never see either watch that well, I don't think that the filmakers intended for us to know what they were. Nevertheless, that's a good call on the bracelet. It is certainly distinctive and could possibly lead to identification. The problem, as I see it, is that I think at that time black coated watches became en vogue. So you'll have to do a lot of looking. Not sure if Seiko went the black route, but it's as good a place as any to start looking. Maybe one of our eagle eyed watch aficianados here has seen the bracelet before.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Actually here is the watch. Our long absent friend identified it some time ago. The bracelet was an as yet unidentified aftermarket replacement

1520924.jpg

To absent friends :(
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:

aye, a particular crap time of year for alot of us.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    edited December 2009
    You know, the case does look correct. The upper logo on the dial looks different on the screen capture though. It looks more like writing than a logo. Perhaps it was manufactured under a different brand name using the same case which may account for why the bracelet is different. It's more common in watch world than you'd think.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    There have been a few configurations on the dial print. Early versions had Porsche or Porsche Design printed at the top of the dial with the logo at the bottom. The bracelet was definately a painted aftermarket job, as it was better for the laser gag. The original bracelet did not have a bulky enough clasp for the laser.

The same watch was used by Doyle in The Proffessionals.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Well, as you know Orfina made the watches for Porsche Design. But what I found out is that once Orfina lost the contract to IWC to make the Porsche Design watches, Orfina continued to make the same watches using the same cases et al but under a different brand name. That brand name was Prestige Watch International. I suspect that may be what Connery is wearing in NSNA. That is of course if the watch was not copied and re-produced by a third party. Not outside the range of possibility either. Look at the Tom Ford QOS sunglasses, a direct rip-off of the Oliver Peoples Airmen.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Actually here is the watch. Our long absent friend identified it some time ago. The bracelet was an as yet unidentified aftermarket replacement

1520924.jpg

You must be talking about Bondtoys. I must be getting old to have forgotten that he identified the NSNA watch case. It's why I value his membership here. I hope he's only on vacation and will return soon.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,670Chief of Staff
    You must be talking about Bondtoys. I must be getting old to have forgotten that he identified the NSNA watch case. It's why I value his membership here. I hope he's only on vacation and will return soon.

DG

Alas, no. I fear he has gone for good.
    YNWA 97
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,350MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

DG

Alas, no. I fear he has gone for good.

That is too bad. :#
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Wait wait...what happened to Bondtoys?????
    The Mantis wrote:

I'm afraid I can't answer your question because I must have missed what transpired.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    The Mantis wrote:

I'm afraid I can't answer your question because I must have missed what transpired.

DG

It is a real shame - but it is a self enforced exile. I hope he changes his mind and returns.
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:

DG

It is a real shame - but it is a self enforced exile. I hope he changes his mind and returns.

I hope he changes his mind as well. I thought he was a genuine Bondphile, not a poseur at all. I thought his knowledge helped to enhance the board. Where I work, it's not uncommon for people to be at odds and the old way to settle arguements was to put on boxing gloves and duke it out. Perhaps it's a bit brutish, but it worked. Too bad that's not possible in cyberworld.

I'm not concerned with the politics of what caused it nor do I care to be, just hoping a valued member returns.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    I hope he changes his mind as well. I thought he was a genuine Bondphile, not a poseur at all. I thought his knowledge helped to enhance the board. Where I work, it's not uncommon for people to be at odds and the old way to settle arguements was to put on boxing gloves and duke it out. Perhaps it's a bit brutish, but it worked. Too bad that's not possible in cyberworld.

I'm not concerned with the politics of what caused it nor do I care to be, just hoping a valued member returns.

DG

I hope he reads this as it would be nice to have his expert input back at AJB.

I guess it's down to him now.
    YNWA 97
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Thanks guys for asking.

To give you a little idea, what has happened, have a look at this:

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/449222/#p449222
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited January 2010
    good to see you back for a short moment - tragic what had happened.
    edited January 2010
    Yes, sometimes people need a break. Just don't take too long. We need your expert watch knowledge.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • qbviqbvi AustraliaPosts: 254MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Thanks guys for asking.

Hi Marcus

I missed what has happened but you have my support also. All correspondance I have read from you, your manner, expertise and sense of humour has been top notch. Certainly, your contributions have helped this forum to be one THE BEST I have come across. Hope things sort themselves out soon, "mein Freund" (ps did I get this right???)
    A Whisper of Love, A Whisper of Hate
  • 037scaramanga037scaramanga Posts: 56MI6 Agent
    Good to have you back Bondtoys.de,
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    Marcus,
    You have my support and well wishes as well.
    I anxiously await your return.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Yeah, you have broken you silence, so you might as well :D I'm thinking the scene in Monty Mythons Life of Brian, with the old man in the hole :))
  • shaken66shaken66 california usaPosts: 155MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Thanks guys for asking.

In the words of a famous American (and fellow Angelino) "can't we all just get along?" :)
    "How did he die?"
    "Your contact?" "Not well."
    shaken66 wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Thanks guys for asking.

In the words of a famous American (and fellow Angelino) "can't we all just get along?" :)

I'd like to think we can.
    YNWA 97
  • dekard77dekard77 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:

1520924.jpg

Hi can you please post image of this watch again? I have been looking for it for over 20 years. I bought a Swill Military Watch "SMW" which I felt was the closest. I would really appreciate any help given to identify this watch or recommend a similar watch which is currently available in the market. Thanks

http://www.milwatches.com/product_info.php/info/p1141_SMW-Millicurie-PVD-Stainless-Steel-Bracelet.html
    Very nice watch - thanks for sharing.
    dekard77 wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

1520924.jpg

Hi can you please post image of this watch again? I have been looking for it for over 20 years. I bought a Swill Military Watch "SMW" which I felt was the closest. I would really appreciate any help given to identify this watch or recommend a similar watch which is currently available in the market. Thanks

http://www.milwatches.com/product_info.php/info/p1141_SMW-Millicurie-PVD-Stainless-Steel-Bracelet.html
    dekard77 wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

1520924.jpg

Well that watch gives the overall impression of the NSNA watch, however it's the wrong case style. Perhaps ASP9mm will post the picture again. But if not do a google search for Orfina Porsche Design or Orfina Prestige Watch International and you'll like likely come by several watches that show the correct case style. Sinn presently uses this case style on a couple of offerings. The Sinn 144 GMT chronograph comes to mind. Although it's not PVD coated, and Connery's watch was not a chronograph.

The problem with identifying watches based on case alone is that it is not uncommon for several companies to use the same watch case. I do think Bondtoys put us on the right track though. Excellent work on his behalf, he has a good eye for detail!

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    dekard77 wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

1520924.jpg

Well that watch gives the overall impression of the NSNA watch, however it's the wrong case style. Perhaps ASP9mm will post the picture again. But if not do a google search for Orfina Porsche Design or Orfina Prestige Watch International and you'll like likely come by several watches that show the correct case style. Sinn presently uses this case style on a couple of offerings. The Sinn 144 GMT chronograph comes to mind. Although it's not PVD coated, and Connery's watch was not a chronograph.

The problem with identifying watches based on case alone is that it is not uncommon for several companies to use the same watch case. I do think Bondtoys put us on the right track though. Excellent work on his behalf, he has a good eye for detail!

DG

Good eye for detail :)) that will be from playing with his small sausage all them years :v
    dekard77 wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

1520924.jpg

DG

Thanks . But I can't find that watch on Bondtoys. Did an Orfina search and had some favorable results. The 007 wears is not a chrono. What makes it very unique is that it doesn't have a rotating bezel.
    LX7Rr.jpg

Ok so watching NSNA on Blu I did manage snap a few shots of the elusive PVD watch. I believe it could be an Oris. Although my pictures don't do much justice on screen it seemed pretty close.
    The surprise here was the small seconds hand located near 6 o'clock. This is not Porsche Design chrono.
    LZUsr.jpg
    dekard77 wrote:
    LX7Rr.jpg

Ok so watching NSNA on Blu I did manage snap a few shots of the elusive PVD watch. I believe it could be an Oris. Although my pictures don't do much justice on screen it seemed pretty close.
    The surprise here was the small seconds hand located near 6 o'clock. This is not Porsche Design chrono.
    LZUsr.jpg

Woa, those pictures appear to show a sub-seconds hand at six O'clock. Never noticed that before.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg