Attack on the Gypsy camp

I recently aquired the same type “Walkie-Talkie” used by Krilencu and the gang of Bulgars to co-ordinate their attack on the Gypsy camp for the Zaritsky Archives.

Unfortunetly, it was in less than desireable condition when it arrived but, having Q-Branch at my disposal, was able to turn this “Junk” to “Hunk” as David puts it.

I started by completely taking it apart down to its various components and meticulously cleaning every single part!!! All the paint was removed and stripped down to the bare metal, the metal ID tags were cleaned and some missing screws were replaced. I then painted with a base coat as it will need to be a bit darker to match the original color.

In the film it is seen with a collapsible antenna which is not normal for this particular piece of military equipment. I modified the top section to accept the type of antennae similar to what is seen in the film.

The unit, as you see it, is not 100% finished. I still need to paint some of the portions you see in bare metal.

Davis asked I post this as he thought others might like to see it…so here it is.

I’ll post finished photos when it’s completed and shipped to the Z-mans Archives.

Ed
TheSpyBoys.com

QQQ-1.jpg

007FRWL_Radio003.jpg

007FRWL_Radio006.jpg

007FRWL_Radio002.jpg

007FRWL_Radio013.jpg

007FRWL_Radio020.jpg

007FRWL_Radio016.jpg

007FRWL_Radio015.jpg

Comments

• The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    I was just blown away by this...just the thing to fill the gap...;)
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Wow, now that's a great prop! Vintage Bond! I approve David. Great work Ed.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    WOW ! what a neat find,

and great Job on the restoration Ed.

Well Done :007)

All you need to display beside that David is
    a few horses and carts and a large heavy set
    Gypsy man who calls you his son everytime you
    walk by your from Russia with love section :)) and I
    supose Ed could hide in a vantage point with a
    mauser and stand in for Robert Shaw
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    I smell a picture coming! :))
  • Aston Martin DBSAston Martin DBS Derbyshire, EnglandPosts: 659MI6 Agent
    This is an excellent item - well done Ed! You've done an excelent job there restoring something that looked like rubbish to an excellent item for The Mantis to display amongst his treasure trove of goodies!
    "NEVER SAY NO TO ADVENTURES." Ian Fleming
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,849MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    I smell a picture coming! :))

WHO ME????

EDGRANT.jpg
  • KleynenKleynen BelgiumPosts: 396MI6 Agent
    Nice one!! {[]
    But, is that my gun??
    Mauser.jpg
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Conratulations Ed, another fine piece of work. I still say you are a craftsman.

GM -{
    Kleynen wrote:
    But, is that my gun??

Thanks Christof…but I have a couple myself…LOL

Besides these firing “Bolo” Mausers you see pictured here…I have 4 of the older MGC replica “Broomhandle” Mausers as well as a PFC (Plug-Fire Cap) firing M712 “Schnellfeuer” a Spanish-made Denix version as the one you have and a select-fire all metal M712 “Schnellfeuer Airsoft replica.

The version used by Grant in the Gypsy camp is the 1896 “Broomhandle” Mauser.
    In my opinion, all of the Mauser “Broomhandles” and their many variations are the one of the most advanced weapons for their time…as well as today.

One of the most interesting aspects is that the entire pistol goes together like a Chinese puzzle. All the parts are made to fit into one another and interlock PERFECTLY!!! There is only 1 screw on the entire gun …and that’s only used to hold the handle in place.

...and, if you think I did a good job on restoring the radio....you should have seen these when I first got them!!!!

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

gun_broomhandle-bolo-04.jpg
  • KleynenKleynen BelgiumPosts: 396MI6 Agent
    WOW!! :o
    Great patina! Love these!
    Thanks Christof!!!
    By the way, here's a link for anyone wanting to upgrade their Denix replica guns.
    They describe how to prep it so it can be converted into a Han Solo Blaster.
    The info is very good for general clean-up of the prop.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

http://www.duplinnet.com/bobadebt/OuterRim/Tutorials/Denix%20Mauser%20Preparation/Denix.htm
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent

In my opinion, all of the Mauser “Broomhandles” and their many variations are the one of the most advanced weapons for their time…as well as today..

There is only 1 screw on the entire gun …and that’s only used to hold the handle in place.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK Ed...

I've heard the one screw line with the broomhandles before and always doubted it...so you made me look it up...

and as this excellent (and a mite stale..) thread says, looks like only ONE screw...

http://www.northwest-denture.com/mauser1896/
    (NB goto the parts breakdown section on the left hand side of page..)

and in case the thread dissappears, i've pasted the diagrams for posterity...
    MauserIPB6.jpg
    MauserPistolIPB1SM2.jpg

So looks like one screw chinese german puzzle alright...

Thing that always confused me is the "screw" that seems to hold the magazine floor plate (36 on diag)...

They show clearly on your pics...

So Uncle Ed, how does that attach if not with screws?...

:)
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    erm, pins instead of screws? :s
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    The "screw" at the bottom of the magazine ( in the diagram) is really a plunger, you press it in and the bottom of the magazine well slides forward and off the pistol.

Here is the version "Grant" had at the Gypsy camp. It's a .30 caliber ..... According to the famous Shanghi Policemen Fairbairn & Sykes, no weapon was more feared by members of that organization than the .30 Mauser, it's bottlenosed cartridge was "extra spunky"!

mauser96.jpg
    ke02eww wrote:
    So Uncle Ed, how does that attach if not with screws?...:)

Exactly as 7289 described. Ingenious really....

The arrow on the right shows how the plunger moves up/down.

The arrow on the left shows how the floorplate moves in towards the ridge.

As it moves forward there is also a small T-shape on the floorplate that fits into a hole on the magazine well. Once the floorplate is neatly seated in the ridge... the plunger "pops" up and lock it in place and holds in the magazine spring and follower.

It's the Rubik Cube of the gun world...LOL

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

Gun_Broomhandle-bolo004.jpg
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    thanks ed and 7289.......nice explanations....clear now....

never handled one of these....
    Just curious, I know in the DB5 Weapons tray there was a
    mauser with a silencer and other items,

But could a Mauser Pistol actualy take a silencer or would
    it have to be modified to take one, or did Mausers
    come with readily available sielncers like Walthers and berettas.

the only time I have seen a silencer on a mauser is, In John
    Charpenters original classic ' Assault on Precinct 13 '' Where
    lots of Bad guys used silenced mausers, and also in the Telly
    Savallas and Roger Moore film '' Escape to Athena '' both
    movies which are great. but the guns in the films are prop
    special effect guns.

also since we are on the subject of old guns. Was a Luger
    ever readily available to take a silencer ? or would that
    have to be a modified gun barrel ?

thanks guys
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Just curious, I know in the DB5 Weapons tray there was a
    mauser with a silencer and other items,

thanks guys

Pictures I have (in The Most Famous Car in The World) show the pistol, shoulder stock, hand grenade and knife, but no silencer. Although the drawings in the same book show a telescopic sight and silencer, but assume that these were left out for reasons of space.
    I know there was, No Sielncer in the tray when its in the DB5 in
    Thunderball, as it only has the Mauser knife and a stock for the
    mauser and a grenade

But the Goldfinger DB5 the tray had an AR7 Rifle in its stock a
    mauser with silencer and telescopic sight and a grenade and
    I think a dagger

however I have seen variations of the try in illustrations and
    tech drawings etc
    The copy of the original blueprint showing the weapons tray in Dave Worralls Fantastic book does contain all the items described above.

8d.jpg

I've arranged my props to the approximate position to show how those items would have appeared within the tray.

8dd.jpg

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    ed, do you have a live ar-7?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Yes, I have the original Armalite AR-7 at the time it was actually manufactured by Armalite. My AR-7 is the rare “Costa Mesa” version which has all of the Armalite markings and logos on the receiver and stock

The stock is the sought-after solid brown version as used by bond in the film.

Amongst all the Bond collectors I know only two others have the correct stock. One of those two (Donald Grant) is the only other collector I know that has the complete correct “Costa Mesa” rifle we see in the film.

As a side note….I’m currently in touch with a machinist that is willing to attempt to duplicate the slip-on suppressor, scope and scope mount for our rifles.

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

007-FRWL_AR-7-02-1.jpg

007-FRWL_AR-7-03.jpg

007-FRWL_AR-7-04.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

007_FRWL-AttachTalcumPowderTin.jpg

5.jpg
    nice one, ed.

i've recently been given an ar-7 by a good friend of mine, apparently its a bugger for jamming though. i've heard of mods to the feedramp and also high velocity ammo can help things.

this true?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I also used to have a jamming problem (insert your own joke here)

It was caused by the ammunition I was using. To be honest, I forget which brand was causing the jam. If I'm not mistaken....Remington caused the jam and Winchester solved it...or was it the other way around?

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    now i used to use winchester t22 in my semi's, but it became really hard to get hold of after 9/11 for some strange reason, i heard stories about import issues etc.

i have heard here in the uk CCI high vel. is good for it.

when i eventually get my FAC back from plod i could do a range report on different ammo if people would find it useful/interesting?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • CJ007GoldeneyeCJ007Goldeneye LondonPosts: 587MI6 Agent
    Very cool and interesting stuff glad to see Ed posting some of gis awesome props. What else is a guy to do without a job but admire these things?
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Yes, I have the original Armalite AR-7 at the time it was actually manufactured by Armalite. My AR-7 is the rare “Costa Mesa” version which has all of the Armalite markings and logos on the receiver and stock

The stock is the sought-after solid brown version as used by bond in the film.

Amongst all the Bond collectors I know only two others have the correct stock. One of those two (Donald Grant) is the only other collector I know that has the complete correct “Costa Mesa” rifle we see in the film.

As a side note….I’m currently in touch with a machinist that is willing to attempt to duplicate the slip-on suppressor, scope and scope mount for our rifles.

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

007-FRWL_AR-7-02-1.jpg

007-FRWL_AR-7-03.jpg

007-FRWL_AR-7-04.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

007_FRWL-AttachTalcumPowderTin.jpg

5.jpg

Count me in on the suppressor, scope and scope mount!
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    Did you really have to ask....LOL
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    ...and YOU...of all people.
    It's a given !!!!!!
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com