Re: Palmyra And The Sea Wall In 2000

Well I can't disagree, I just love the look of the place and will shed a tear on the day it is demolished. But there are other iconic villains lairs eg

Piz Gloria, Suisse
Vaux-le-Vicomte, Seine-et-Marne, France
Agia Triada Monastery, Meteora, Greece
Monsoon Palace, Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
Château de Chantilly, Chantilly, Oise, France
Forbes Museum, Palais Mendoub, Rue Shakespeare, Tangiers, Morocco
Di Portanova Estate, Las Brisas, Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico

But for my money it's toss up between Palmyra & Piz Gloria and the jury is still out ajb007/insane

I feel the same way.  If for no other reason its restoration would freeze (at least for another 20yrs or so) a moment in not only James Bond movie but also modern history that demo'ing it would destroy. 

If or rather when I win the lottery I'd buy it, fully restore it (interior/erxterior) to its exact Thunderball condition.  I'd also buy some 1965 vintage clothes, find a "Domino" double and reenact the skeet scene frequently.  I've been an extra on a few movies (including the upcoming The Green Lantern) and the quality of films today don't even approach the cultural influence of 1965's Thunderball.  I mean hell JFK really flipped out over Dr. No & nowadays movies regardless of how successful in 90% of the cases have little or no cultural influence.  As helpful as it is (like this & other discussion boards) I'd rather the internet not have been invented.

^ post "sceance" edit. ajb007/lolajb007/smile):))

Last edited by Winchester1 (8th Feb 2011 18:49)

Love to have been at the seance where JFK flipped over YOLT ........... sorry that was frivolous ajb007/lol ajb007/lol and about as funny as a hole in the head .......... Ooooops British humour creeping in there .......... I know you meant FRWL ajb007/martini

I brought one of my James Bond tour groups inside the House, grounds and even swimming in the shark pool (!) for Bond Collectors' Weekend 9. I swung the visit as part of a working collaboration with the Bahamian Ministry of Tourism so we were technically guests of the Ministry (!).

Mr. Mosco is one of island's biggest realtors and developers. He is an older widower living there and wants the site demolished as the grounds are big enough to take several condo units on the beautiful promontory.

I've contacted several groups looking to buy the place - it's just a difficult thing and I'd recommend writing the Ministry of Tourism to appeal to them to preserve the spot under some kind of historic homes opportunity.

Go Through The Gunbarrel With Us! * Play with Bond in Jamaica! * Ring in your new life in DC! * Parade your tuxedo across Atlanta! * Dive off Key West and Into Miami!

Bond Collectors' Weekends wrote:

Mr. Mosco is one of island's biggest realtors and developers. He is an older widower living there and wants the site demolished as the grounds are big enough to take several condo units on the beautiful promontory.

Very interesting tidbit. In every interview and report I have ever read he has always claimed that the home was for his kids and family to enjoy. However, this always puzzled me because he is certainly not short of money and yet the property was clearly not being properly maintained. If he was so much in love with it and wanted it for his children, I always wondered why he didn't invest in even the most basic of upkeep. Of course, I always suspected that he just said that to keep prospectors away, but it makes sense that what he really wants is building permission to develop the plot. From what I understand of Bahamian government workings, being a long-term wealthy resident, I wouldn't imagine he would have much trouble getting that permission!

I brought one of my James Bond tour groups inside the House, grounds and even swimming in the shark pool (!) for Bond Collectors' Weekend 9. I swung the visit as part of a working collaboration with the Bahamian Ministry of Tourism so we were technically guests of the Ministry (!).

I've contacted several groups looking to buy the place - it's just a difficult thing and I'd recommend writing the Ministry of Tourism to appeal to them to preserve the spot under some kind of historic homes opportunity.

When I was there in 2000, I never encountered Mr. Mosco or Mr. Moscowitz, or whatever his name is at present.  Again, the locals that I spoke with refered to him as Moscowitz.  He was quite well known and of course that was some 6 years before BCW9. 

At first I thought about various ways to surreptitiously see the shark pool, but in the end I figured the direct approach was the best.  When I went to the property, the gates were opened and one of the grounds keepers was in the front yard.  I spoke to him and he directed me to ask at the front door.  I got no indication from him that I would be ill treated.  I can't remember if I rang or knocked but a woman answered and she was kind enough.  After explaining my plight, she said I could roam the grounds and take pictures but could not go inside the house.  I was not interested in going inside since the inside shots were filmed at Pinewood Studios.  Near one of the entrances is a rock that says "Rock Point" and I took some dirt from there.  I also took a piece of the crumbling shark pool wall for my collection.  No one rushed me off the property, I left at my leisure.  Also, there was no roaming dog either.  It was quite pleasant and I found the woman very gracious.  Not sure what her relation was to Mosco(witz), but she made my day.  Looking back on it through the prism of what I have since read about the owner, I am truly amazed that I was let onto the property, let alone able to roam the grounds without oversight.  A trruly unique experience!

DG

Last edited by Donald Grant (15th Feb 2011 03:06)

So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee124/DonaldGrantPhotos/image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."  Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Hi,
I was in Nassau 3 weeks ago and went to take a look at Palmyra.  Didn't have the nerve to ring the door bell, but took some exterior photos.  It's a shame the owner won't renovate.  Just a thought - Sean Connery lives not far from Palmyra, in Lyford Cay at the west end of the island.  Wonder if he'd be interested in buying it and restoring it as a museum for his fans to enjoy.  Probably not, but maybe it's worth asking if anyone knows how to contact him?.
http://s2.postimage.org/8c8874x0/085.jpg

"I may be wet, but my martini is still dry"

You go girl!

DG

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee124/DonaldGrantPhotos/image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."  Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Maybe I will try writing to the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism (as suggested by someone in a previous post).
I would hate to see the place demolished to make way for condos!
While I was in Nassau I also went to the British Colonial Hilton Hotel (Never Say Never Again, 1983).  I wanted to have a martini at the beach bar but a hurricane had destroyed it several years ago.  Also the lobby has been remodelled and looks nothing like it did in the movie - don't know why I expected it to, after all it is 18 years since the movie was made!  I did pose behind one of the columns near the staircase, pretending to be Fatima Blush - my husband thinks I'm a nutcase, but he goes along with my little fantasies - bless him!  The Hilton does have a suite that is totally dedicated to Bond.  I could not gain access as someone was staying in it at the time, but apparently it contains lots of memorabilia, artwork, movie photo's etc.  Has anyone ever seen it?  Maybe I will get inside there on my next visit.

Oops!  it's actually 28 years since Never Say Never Again was released - math is not my speciality - obviously!
ajb007/martini

Hey Donald,

I wanted to thank you for your post on Palmyra and the Sea Wall.  Being a 00 fan (since 1997), I wanted to check out some of the sites Thunderball was filmed when I was planning my trip to the Bahamas for January 2012.  While I was doing my research I saw an image of some of the pictures you took on Google images, and it took me to ajb007.com.  I am grateful for your post.  I used it to find film locations for Thunderball.  I was able to get a great pic of me by the seawall by the Atlantis.  Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to check out the grounds of the Palmyra estate.  The day I wanted to explore Palmyra there was a Marathon passing by Rock Point, and I could not drive there.  To add to my frustration,  I could not go back later as I was flying home that afternoon.  Next time...

Thanks again,
Rich

PS  What other film locations have you been to where Bond film were shot?  I am going to plan a trip in the next few years to Schilthorn, Switzerland.  I want to see Piz Gloria, the restaurant where they filmed a good portion of "Her Majesty's Secret Service."

Drove by the place only a year ago. It was good to see it was still there. Hope somebody figures a way to snag it. In the early 80's when I was working on SPLASH I got the chance to dive the caves where the nuclear bombs were stored. I don't think that's going anywhere soon at least.

Double-oh-Seven wrote:

Hey Donald,

I wanted to thank you for your post on Palmyra and the Sea Wall.  Being a 00 fan (since 1997), I wanted to check out some of the sites Thunderball was filmed when I was planning my trip to the Bahamas for January 2012.  While I was doing my research I saw an image of some of the pictures you took on Google images, and it took me to ajb007.com.  I am grateful for your post.  I used it to find film locations for Thunderball.  I was able to get a great pic of me by the seawall by the Atlantis.  Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to check out the grounds of the Palmyra estate.  The day I wanted to explore Palmyra there was a Marathon passing by Rock Point, and I could not drive there.  To add to my frustration,  I could not go back later as I was flying home that afternoon.  Next time...

Thanks again,
Rich

PS  What other film locations have you been to where Bond film were shot?  I am going to plan a trip in the next few years to Schilthorn, Switzerland.  I want to see Piz Gloria, the restaurant where they filmed a good portion of "Her Majesty's Secret Service."

Hey Rich, glad you liked my post.  All because Broccoli and Saltzman hooked me at a very early age.  That fascination led to Fleming's novels, again at a young age.  Now I'm a full blown Bondphile.  Wages of a misspent youth I'm afraid.  I also wrote an article about my dive on the wreck of the Vulcan Bomber mock up.  It's in the article section of this forum.

I have been to other film Bond film locations in New York, Gibralter, Paris, London.  I've also visited Connery's home town, Edinburgh, Scotland and visited the famous Edinburgh castle there.  I have been to Switzerland, but it was Geneva and La Chaux de Fonds, the watch making
capital.  I do want to visit Piz Gloria though, so it is on my list.

DG

A group buy can snag it, it's a question of money and then getting a work crew of fans on site in Nassau to restore it to its former glory. Bond locations are disappearing - the jetty from the scuba swim is at Atlantis resort but it's $60 to $120 plus tax for a pass to get to the grounds!

Go Through The Gunbarrel With Us! * Play with Bond in Jamaica! * Ring in your new life in DC! * Parade your tuxedo across Atlanta! * Dive off Key West and Into Miami!

A group buy can snag it, it's a question of money and then getting a work crew of fans on site in Nassau to restore it to its former glory. Bond locations are disappearing - the jetty from the scuba swim is at Atlantis resort but it's $60 to $120 plus tax for a pass to get to the grounds!

Yes, Rock Point (Palmyra) is in a dilapidated state and it amazes me to no end.  I suppose I got lucky when I was given access and free run of the grounds.  The first time I went to the sea wall, it was free access.  The second time I went, access restricted.  I seem to remember it having something to do with it being a potential hazard, but I could be wrong.

Apart from that, I don't like group travel.  I prefer to explore on my own.  I did a lot of er "exploring" when I was sailing in the Merchant Marine, what the Brits call the Merchant Navy.

DG

I am off to Bahamas in September. Do you have to go through the Atlantis Resort to get to the steps used in the Thunderball film?

Strangways

coles wrote:

I am off to Bahamas in September. Do you have to go through the Atlantis Resort to get to the steps used in the Thunderball film?

If you mean the steps by the sea wall, then the answer is yes.

DG

Donald Grant wrote:
coles wrote:

DG

Thanks for the info. Will hopefully get to see Palmyra as well, at least the outside. Any other Bond Bahamas tips?

Strangways

coles wrote:
Donald Grant wrote:
coles wrote:

DG

Thanks for the info. Will hopefully get to see Palmyra as well, at least the outside. Any other Bond Bahamas tips?

Anyone who scuba dives MUST dive down to the Tears of Allah, but more importantly the remains of the Vulcan bomber from TB.

There are over 35 Bond locations in Nassau/Providence Island. You're going to pay a lot of money to go see those steps. Visit the One and Only Ocean Club instead.

coles wrote:
Donald Grant wrote:
coles wrote:

DG

Yes, drinks at the Library of the one and only (ocean Club), specifically a Mont Gay and Soda, awesome drink!

" Not All Who Wander Are Lost "

Stefan wrote:
coles wrote:
Donald Grant wrote:

DG

Yes, drinks at the Library of the one and only (ocean Club), specifically a Mont Gay and Soda, awesome drink!

What is the deal to get into the ocean club?

Strangways

Gotta say I love this thread!!!

EON want to splash some cash and buy Palmyra!!!

Instagram - bondclothes007

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Rock Point (Palmyra) has fallen into disrepair.  It is in serious need of TLC.  For all the owner's apparent wealth, I never understood why it is so dilapidated, at least the grounds anyway.  Although I love all of Connery's Bond movies, Thunderball is very special.  To me it was the absolute peak of Bond.  OHMSS brought Bond back after YOLT, but of course it did not have Connery.  So, to me, Thunderball was the peak and Nassau/Paradise Island was where a good deal of it was filmed.

DG

The land that Palmyra sits on is likely worth a fortune for hotel/condo developers. When it changes hands, I can't imagine it being a single private property again. It will be bull-dozed and gone forever. The family claim to be very attached to it, but considering that they're not short of money and yet  it's falling apart around them, I strongly suspect they're just waiting for the right offer...the right mega offer.