Mk II Kingston Connery Bond Homage Watch Is Here!

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
Well it finally came. Although I like to live with a watch for a while before I write a review, I can tell you that I'm well pleased with the Kingston. It feels solid and is quite heavy. But enough talk, here are pictures of my Swiss Made Kingston with C3 lume and Connery/6200 style bezel configuration. Enjoy!

016-2.jpg

017-2.jpg

018-2.jpg

020-1.jpg

021-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

025-1.jpg

026.jpg

029.jpg

031.jpg

030.jpg

032.jpg

035.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

DG
So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,347MI6 Agent
    very nice -{
  • gussguss South Wales, UKPosts: 195MI6 Agent
    very nice watch
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    WOW :o
  • Mister GreeneMister Greene Posts: 224MI6 Agent
    I am Jealous sir, great looking watch-{
    Mine will be here Monday - pics will be posted monday night - can't wait :D
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    texas007 wrote:
    Mine will be here Monday - pics will be posted monday night - can't wait :D

That's excellent. Can't wait to see pictures!

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    Well I wish I had jumped on board this project :# never mind I still have me Butt Plug :D

looks well cool DG -{

cant wait to see yours to Kan ;)
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Well I wish I had jumped on board this project :# never mind I still have me Butt Plug :D

looks well cool DG -{

cant wait to see yours to Kan ;)

Thanks, it's a great quality piece with some improvements on the original as per MK II marching orders. Well I have to go now. Must conduct a raid on on a heroin mill disguised as a tank farm. Mr Ramairez and his heroin flavored bananas has to be deep sixed ASAP! The Kingston is coming with me. Now where the hell did I put my white dinner jacket and dry suit?

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Hello DG,

congrats to your brand new toy.
    Looks really tempting and I can feel your excitement about it (purchased a SubC 2 weeks ago and am still on honeymoon with it - regardless to it's faults).

You know, that I am very stubborn when it comes to non-original watches and I'd like to hear your opinion regarding this - particularly as you are having the real deal.

Enjoy your watch and hope, that Kan receives his one very soon, too
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Wow, DG, that's beautiful! Still waiting for mine, maybe another month? Great to see the guts compared with a Bond Sub. So, the Kingston seems significantly larger than the Bond sub, or it due to the camera's perspective?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • jimmybondijimmybondi ShrublandsPosts: 328MI6 Agent
    Whoah! This is sooo sexy!
    gez.
    Jimmybondi

007fyeoturboespritbronz.jpg
    edited May 2011
    superado wrote:
    Wow, DG, that's beautiful! Still waiting for mine, maybe another month? Great to see the guts compared with a Bond Sub. So, the Kingston seems significantly larger than the Bond sub, or it due to the camera's perspective?

You have a good eye Superado. The Kingston is slightly larger and perhaps a tad bit heavier than the 6538. If I remember correctly, the Kingston is 39mm vs 38mm for the Rolex. I must say the Kingston has a quality feel to it and so far it's been bang on time. Very choice! I know some people poo poo homage watches, but the watch industry is rife with even the biggest manufacturers knocking off watches. Didn't Tag Heuer knock off the Submariner with it's diver? Just saying.

I'm very proud to wear the MK II Kingston. To me it represents quality. Also, I'm happy to be one of many who helped nurture the brand from watch modder to full bore manufacturer by buying its products. The Kingston is my third MK II piece, but it surely won't be my last.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Thanks DG for your wise words and hope, that you are still enjoying your watch.

I am still a bit concerned about the Kingston - and Dell Deaton will slice me/us in pieces for this - I have been one of the plank owners, too.

My opinion about this watch is as follows:

I dislike fake watches mostly for the following reasons:

1. cheating
    2. the people behind the business (Mafia)
    3. quality
    4. lack of creativity

1. Most people state, that their knock-off is "only for me" and that they have no intention to cheat others. If you look at the watch fora and ebay, these are full with fake watches "belonged to my grandfather, father, co-worker, friend who owes me money etc. . So at the end of the day, these fakes end up with people, who intend to cheat others or don't know, that they are trying to pass off a fake as a genuine item. Because of this, any (e.g. Rolex, Omega) branded copy is a no-go for me.
    The Kingston does not fall under this category as it's not Rolex-Branded.

2. MK II is an established company now and we all can see from the open forum, that Bill and his crew are very open to customer's needs, questions and suggestions. IMHO, they are not after the last $$, they are trying to make their products as well as possible and their prices are hard to beat if you have a look at their quality.
    Totally different to these organized criminal circles in Asia, who organize the making and distribution of fake watches.

3. MK II watches are Swiss made or assembled in the US and they did several improvements over the 6538 so far: I just recall the saphire crystal, the better case material and I am sure, that a modern ETA movement can beat any 50yo Rolex movement in almost every regard.
    If Bill had access to real Rolex movements, I have no doubts, that he would have been tried to get them built in for a reasonable price ;). Look alone at all the efforts to get the bezel inserts and winding crowns right and you can see, that MK II speaks for quality, one thing, which you can't say about copywatches like Alpha.

4. I have to admit, that I don't find MK II's Kingston watch design very creative. You have said it so: Many brands have a long history in going after the SUB design and we are not only talking about TAG. I can even see some SUB DNS on vintage Omega Divers and even the SMP has many Sub Elements.
    But I stay with it: I don't find the Kingston design very creative, but if Bill would have been more creative in terms of design, the entire Kingston project would be useless.

Summary: Yes, the Kingston is copying the Sub design but they have tried to be better than the original in many aspects. They don't try to cheat people and they don't serve fake people as a fake status symbol because they carry their own brand on the dial and on the case.

The Kingstons are Swiss made and the owners are involving their customers during the design process. Every step is carefully considered, the assemblage is done with great care and you can expect a quality watch for an unbeaten price.

The raised funds don't support shady things and it's good to get a James Bond spirited watch for a fraction of the US$ 30-50k bill, when buying a real 6538 - if you are able to get one at all.

I am looking forwards to receive my watch soon (but still have a small dark cloud around my head for the copy thing) and am happy for those, who already have.

-{ -{ -{

Enjoy the Kingstons

edited May 2011
    Well Bondtoys, you're in for a big surprise because the Kingston is a great piece. The first evening I wore it, my wife didn't even comment on it. I wore it on a Bond strap and I suppose to her it looked like one of my other Rolex big crowns. I variously wear them on a rivet bracelet, a Bond strap, or a crocodile band. Nothing, not a word by her.

The MK II logo is very discrete particularly in gilt print. It's a very subtle, understated watch that ticks all the Bond boxes without a fake logo. Moreover, it has the feel of quality and the double dome saphire crystal and ratcheted bezel is an improvement over the acrylic tropic 17/19 crystal and the friction bent wire affair of the original bezel. Don't get me wrong, I love my Rolex big crowns, but the MK II is a sweet piece.

I was recently at my watchmaker's shop. My watchmaker worked as a supervisor in one of the Rolex service departments for over twenty years, and services Rolex, but can work on just about anything ticking. He treats me like a son. Anyway, while there I was looking through some of his old watches and was struck by how many different brands knocked off the Submariner in the 50's and 60's. It's old news. According to him, Rolex was not even always a top brand. LeCoultre, Omega and perhaps one other were, but the top companies went to production side of things particularly during the quartz revolution. In essence, selling a lot of watches for a cheaper price. Rolex never did this and always re-invested its earnings with a good portion going to marketing. Think tennis, golf, racing etc.

According to my watchmaker, Rolex is being overtaken today by other brands like Omega. Why? Primarily becuase Rolex does not change much. A Submariner from the 70's pretty much looks like a Submariner of today despite the bigger case re-design. Maybe, but I do know that people like commercial divers who in the past bought the the Submariner as a real tool watch would be crazy to do that now. With the recent price increase, it has to be almost in the $10,000.00 arena. For an entry level tool watch? That dog don't hunt! Perhaps they'll still buy it, but not to dive in. The Suunto* would probably be a better choice.

Nevertheless, I will say that if Rolex did it's own homage of the big crown like they did with the Tudor homeplate chronographs and sold it at a reasonable price, they'd sell a boat load of them. We can only hope.

In the mean time fellow plank owner, enjoy the MK II Kingston, a watch that lovingly pays homage to the Rolex big crown of old while keeping its own identity.

DG

Edit: *Suunto watches are made in Finland and are used extensively by the Military and Law Enforcement. The Suunto Elementum Aqua costs between $899.99 and $1,199.99 depending on case construction. It does the following:

"The Aqua dive watch knows when you enter the water, automatically calculating dive data once in a water level of .6 meters/2 ft. Dive logs start and stop recording data at 1.2 meters/4 ft.

During a dive, the Aqua calculates real-time and maximum depth. The Aqua also tracks water temperature and dive time once you descend to 1.2 meters. Keep bragging rights with logs of your last 14 dives.

Once you surface, the Aqua counts down up to 48 hours surface time, letting you know when it's safe to return to the water.

The Aqua's features are best suited to free-diving, though any diver benefits from the watch's distinguished features."
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Tokyo MattTokyo Matt Posts: 99MI6 Agent
    Nice thread. Good reading. Bit of a watch lovey myself.

Each to his own, Bondtoys and Sir Miles.

Sir Miles, you said one of my very favourite words in your last post..........LeCoultre.
    Tokyo Matt wrote:
    Nice thread. Good reading. Bit of a watch lovey myself.

Each to his own, Bondtoys and Sir Miles.

Sir Miles, you said one of my very favourite words in your last post..........LeCoultre.

Sir Miles? I'll take that as a big compliment. A great promotion!

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Tokyo MattTokyo Matt Posts: 99MI6 Agent
    Grief!

Did I really do that?

I really did do that didn't I.

Sorry.

Fiddlesticks. That was meant to be a complimentary post. I'm very sorry.

I'd just read Sir Miles ticking off Richard--W, and I always turn into a bit of an fluffbrain when pretty watches are on the table.

Sincearly, sorry. That was extremely rude of me.

From now on I will address you as Sir Donald Grant.
    Tokyo Matt wrote:
    Grief!

Did I really do that?

Sorry.

I'd just read Sir Miles ticking off Richard--W, and I always turn into a bit of an fluffbrain when pretty watches are on the table.

Don't think anything of it friend and you certainly don't have to call me Sir. It's indeed an honor to be mistaken for Sir Miles if only for a short while. A very knowledgeable fellow he is.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    if it helps, you can call me Sir :D, Tokyo Matt

• SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    033.jpg

DG - Can you take a similar shot with the Rolex? The Kingston looks big on that Bond strap. The Rolex seems small in comparison in the Goldfinger and Thunderball scenes. Does the Kingston move around on the strap because of the size and weight? I'm going to do the original Bond style without the keeper strap too.
    Maybe, but I do know that people like commercial divers who in the past bought the the Submariner as a real tool watch would be crazy to do that now. With the recent price increase, it has to be almost in the $10,000.00 arena. For an entry level tool watch? That dog don't hunt! Perhaps they'll still buy it, but not to dive in. The Sunto would probably be a better choice.

Nevertheless, I will say that if Rolex did it's own homage of the big crown like they did with the Tudor homeplate chronographs and sold it at a reasonable price, they'd sell a boat load of them. We can only hope.

$10,000 for a standard Rolex Submariner these days! That seems too high. I thought they were in the $5,000 range. I think the new Omega Seamaster is around $3,000. The liquidmetal versions are a bit higher but will probably come down a bit as the liquidmetal technique might be applied to all Seamasters.

I'll look up Sunto, I think I heard of them but can't remember. But Rolex would have my money if they made a retro homage big crown Submariner. They might do it eventually with the homage watch they have coming out with the orange hand. I can't remember the name of the watch now.

Thanks for the Kingston pics. I'm still a ways off for mine.
    "Better late than never."
    The present Sub C (with date) will be US$ 8.000,-- from Tuesday.
    The non-Date Sub (old model, old bracelet) will be at around US$ 6.300,-- then.

edited May 2011
    SilentSpy wrote:
    033.jpg

DG - Can you take a similar shot with the Rolex? The Kingston looks big on that Bond strap. The Rolex seems small in comparison in the Goldfinger and Thunderball scenes. Does the Kingston move around on the strap because of the size and weight? I'm going to do the original Bond style without the keeper strap too.
    Maybe, but I do know that people like commercial divers who in the past bought the the Submariner as a real tool watch would be crazy to do that now. With the recent price increase, it has to be almost in the $10,000.00 arena. For an entry level tool watch? That dog don't hunt! Perhaps they'll still buy it, but not to dive in. The Sunto would probably be a better choice.

$10,000 for a standard Rolex Submariner these days! That seems too high. I thought they were in the $5,000 range. I think the new Omega Seamaster is around $3,000. The liquidmetal versions are a bit higher but will probably come down a bit as the liquidmetal technique might be applied to all Seamasters.

I'll look up Sunto, I think I heard of them but can't remember. But Rolex would have my money if they made a retro homage big crown Submariner. They might do it eventually with the homage watch they have coming out with the orange hand. I can't remember the name of the watch now.

Thanks for the Kingston pics. I'm still a ways off for mine.

Here is a shot I borrowed from another thread. It's my 5510 witch shares the same basic case as the 6538 although with different internal dimensions for the later 15XX movement. The strap chosen is an 18mm worn on both the Kingston and the Rolex with 20mm lugs. It's the so called "understrapper" look that Connery used on his big crown Sub. However some have speculated that the strap Connery wore was actualy 16mm between 20mm lugs.

Edit: No the Kingston does not move around a lot. You should be able to fit a finger between the band and the wrist.

DSCF0862.jpg

Orange hand? That sounds like a homage to the so called "Steve McQueen" 1655 Explorer II.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Tokyo Matt wrote:
    Grief!

Did I really do that?

Sorry.

Don't think anything of it friend and you certainly don't have to call me Sir. It's indeed an honor to be mistaken for Sir Miles if only for a short while. A very knowledgeable fellow he is.

DG

Yes, on the other hand he rates QoS so it all balances out.

So how much does this reproduction model cost? Also, I take it it's no longer available. (Sorry, late to the party.)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I think with shipping the MK II Kingston was $690.50 if you pre-ordered it with an initial deposit of $350.00. The first order was so successful amongst plank owners that there was a second plank owner pre-order. Then it was opened up to general ordering whith the regular price of $895.00 and no extras like the extra case, dial, bracelet, etc.. Yep, all sold out. However, I believe Bill at MK II may make the watch available without the gilt dial and Kingston monniker. I think the big crown will also be replaced too. Dial print will most likely be white or silver.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Finally my Kingston is here!!!

DSC_1420.JPG

DSC_1425.JPG

Thank you DG!!!
    Very nice Kan -{
    Cool Kan, very cool! Love the ITLOF gun too. Been wanting one of those for a while.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    Looks like another happy customer. I can't wait for my Kingston. I'm going to wear the hell out of it.

DG - Are you going to do a review with a Rolex comparison? I always wanted the vintage Rolex but the cost, older materials, and age put me off of it. I wanted a watch I could always wear and not worry about damaging. Although, I still don't completely get the idea of the tool watch. Because if I'm going to do something with a high chance of watch damage (paint, motorcycle ride/repair, etc). I just take off the watch.

Oh and I remembered about the Suunto. Found out about it while attempting to find what watch the really hot Agent Kensi Blye wears on NCIS LA. Although, she wears another brand.
    "Better late than never."
    SilentSpy wrote:
    Looks like another happy customer. I can't wait for my Kingston. I'm going to wear the hell out of it.

DG - Are you going to do a review with a Rolex comparison? I always wanted the vintage Rolex but the cost, older materials, and age put me off of it. I wanted a watch I could always wear and not worry about damaging. Although, I still don't completely get the idea of the tool watch. Because if I'm going to do something with a high chance of watch damage (paint, motorcycle ride/repair, etc). I just take off the watch.

Oh and I remembered about the Suunto. Found out about it while attempting to find what watch the really hot Agent Kensi Blye wears on NCIS LA. Although, she wears another brand.

Yes, I do intend to write a review of the MK II Kingston. However, I have to put it through its paces and live with it a while before I put pen to paper, or rather finger to keyboard. I can say that the Kingston is, as a young turk with whom I work said to me regarding a new pair of semi-custom boots that I recently got, FTD.

Translation: Fresh To Death.

The Kingston is definitely Fresh To Death! Not my words, but it fits the Kingston to a T.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • 66cooper66cooper Posts: 71MI6 Agent
    Hey guys. I too am a VERY happy owner of a Kingston. Was order #41. It has been locked onto my wrist for almost three now, which is a rare thing for me. I usually never wear the same watch (that goes for belts and shoes as well, haha) for more then a day. I just love it. Against my better Bond judgment, I went with the red triangle. I know, how could I do it:-) I have the Bond as a spare though. I guess I'm a sucker for red.

Grant, so you own a 6538? That is an amazing feat in itself. I long to see one in person. What a gem and what an awesome thing to be able to have both the Kingston and the 6538 in your hands. I am very excited to read your full review on it. Include some more shots of the two together. Its just great to see.

I think my only complaint so far is the size of the blip on the bezel. Not sure why it is so small and I wish it had more dimension to it. VERY small issue there. I really go love it.