any Blade Runner fans here?

walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
Just wanted to share a pic i took of my small Blade Runner collection while trying to capture the mood of the film.

brcrap.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    YES!

Big fan!
  • zig zagzig zag EnglandPosts: 244MI6 Agent
    Yes, Bladerunner has to be one of my fav films, first saw it back in the mid/late 80's, although I prefer the version with the commentary, I'm not fussed about which one I watch. Keep meaning to get it on dvd.
    "Yes,dammit,I said "was".The bitch is dead now."

"It's not difficult to get a double 0 number if your prepared to kill people"
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    How come you prefer the commentary?
    I prefer the commentary version over the Final Cut. I just think that the Final Cut messes up a big part of the message.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Ah but have any of you lot got a VK? ;)
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    I'm a fan! I like the director's cut, but they should have left out the unicorn.
    Yeah, like Harrison Ford, i hate the idea of Deckard being a replicant, the story loses much of its impact that way.
    Yeah, like Harrison Ford, i hate the idea of Deckard being a replicant, the story loses much of its impact that way.

The writer of the film hated when Ridley Scott said that was a possibility too. A big part of the agreement between Ford, the writer, and the director was that the story came down to man vs. machine, but if Deckard was a machine too, then the message isn't there and it is just lighter trickery.

For anyone who hasn't seen it before I always recommend the Theatrical cut first, then after they can watch Final and Director's cuts if they want. I think watching theatrical then final leaves both experiences in tact, but Final then theatrical will mess with the raw experience and impact that the theatrical story can have.

Fantastic movies to get on the 5-disc Blu-Ray set.
    Thats exactly right, Deckard as a replicant essentially ruins the whole theme of the film, especially the ending when Roy saves Deckard.
    Well, perhaps it is best to mention in the OP that there be spoilers here as well. :D
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,279MI6 Agent
    edited April 2012
    I'm also a big Bladerunner fan, so much so that I even splurged for the 5-disc briefcase edition (complete with miniature spinner replica and silver origami unicorn) when it was released on BluRay a few years ago. Fans of the film should really try to get their hands on the 5-disc set (the non-briefcase edition can be gotten cheap these days) as it includes a wealth of extras including some great documentaries and a ton of amazing deleted footage which when spliced together almost creates another standalone, complementary movie.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQu9AE1uJUQlYS5fCbSWoxXxZ9xyC8mJ-Bhflqr3v2yZ0dzpqWm9g

As to which version is better, I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I never minded the theatrical cut but Ford clearly didn't want the film to be narrated and he delivers a very flat, disinterested reading. The tacked on "happy ending" is also really jarring and doesn't fit in with the tone of the film. The director's cut and final cut seem to me to be tighter presentations; I don't mind the whole "Deckard may be a replicant" theme even though it flies in the face of what the writers were after and even Philip Dick's original novel.

Fans of the movie should also try to snag a copy of Future Noir, a great book on the making of the film. It served as the template for the documentaries in the 5-disc set and covers a lot of the same material but still makes for a great read.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1oZ_bLHr_mULMmxDKXUb69PR5g5DCwdTUd-mUKfYu79bYsi0C

A few years ago, there was also a novel released that was a direct sequel to the movie. Bladerunner 2: The Edge of Human was authorized by the holders of copyright to the characters and situations. The whole "is Deckard a replicant or not argument" was a central part of the novel and many of the characters from the film made appearances as well. It was an uneven story (some passages really had me rolling my eyes) but it held my interest and was a fast, well paced read. It was clearly intended as a blueprint for a theatrical sequel that obviously never saw the light of day.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRzoaDjOqdIifvc2TJmXVyjMnEkeok99vXCSEQnQi5-vCrAtwn

Ridley Scott has also recently confirmed that he is in the very early stages of developing another movie that takes place in the Bladerunner universe. There's no story yet so it remains to be seen if it will be a prequel, sequel or something only tangentally related, but if he can pull off revisiting the Alien universe with Prometheus, hopefully we'll someday be able to revisit the streets of 2019 Los Angeles. He's even kicking around the idea of having Hampton Fancher, who wrote many of the early drafts of the screenplay, come on-board again.
    TonyDP wrote:
    As to which version is better, I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I never minded the theatrical cut but Ford clearly didn't want the film to be narrated and he delivers a very flat, disinterested reading. The tacked on "happy ending" is also really jarring and doesn't fit in with the tone of the film. The director's cut and final cut seem to me to be tighter presentations; I don't mind the whole "Deckard may be a replicant" theme even though it flies in the face of what the writers were after and even Philip Dick's original novel.

Yeah, I wouldn't say ignore the newer cuts at all. There are some real nice changes done to even the film out in the Director's and Final cuts. Final Cut has some great visual clean-ups that are nice. I just think Theatrical is the best way to go in first and make sure none of the themes are broken on first viewing. Afterwards, tainting the message is no big deal for the sake of further vision being presented :)) .
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    brcrap.jpg

Want one, want one,... WANT ONE!!!!!!
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • AdamCarterJonesAdamCarterJones UKPosts: 303MI6 Agent
    I'm a fan of the film, but my mate is an even bigger fan.

He has an original script; a particular version - can't remember which one, but it is very rare apparently.
    If I can get an image of it would anyone here be interested in seeing it as well as the background info on it?

Cheers,
    Ad
    Best wishes,
    Adam Carter-Jones
    Bondposters.com - FREE James Bond Poster Reference site

He has an original script; a particular version - can't remember which one, but it is very rare apparently.
    If I can get an image of it would anyone here be interested in seeing it as well as the background info on it?

Cheers,
    Ad

Duhfcourse!

That's of course, silly.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    I never liked Ford's cropped haircut. It makes him a right old moonface.

However, there is a bootleg copy of the film in which he has long hair for a lot of the scenes, there were two versions filmed apparently, one in which he looks more like Hans Solo.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

However, there is a bootleg copy of the film in which he has long hair for a lot of the scenes, there were two versions filmed apparently, one in which he looks more like Hans Solo.

I like the short hair. He looks less glamorized. A bit more like the future cop he is.
  • AdamCarterJonesAdamCarterJones UKPosts: 303MI6 Agent
    Mr Beech wrote:

Cheers,
    Ad

Duhfcourse!

That's of course, silly.

:)) No problem!

I'll speak to him soon and get the info on it again!

Ad
    Best wishes,
    Adam Carter-Jones
    Bondposters.com - FREE James Bond Poster Reference site
    Mr Beech wrote:

I like the short hair. He looks less glamorized. A bit more like the future cop he is.
    me too, its sets him apart from his long Han solo hair and medium length Indy hair.

I had seen that a while back. I think it is very well done, especially for a fan trailer.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent
    Blade Runner is one of my favorite science fiction films, and one of my fathers as well. I got him the five disc DVD set for his birthday a few years ago, and he has a small reproduction of the original poster hanging up in the study in our home.

@ walther P 99: I love that replica of the LAPD 2019 Blaster that you have. It is a pretty popular prop among science fiction fans, I heard that Adam Savage from MythBusters even has a replica.
    I think its the appropriate time to resurrect this four year old topic. What are your thoughts on the new film/trailer so far? Since its being directed by my favorite current director Denis Villeneuve who also did the brilliant film Prisoners and Sicario, shot by none other then Roger Deakins, and filled with talented actors like Ford, Gosling and Leto, I have massively high hopes for this film. And based off the teaser trailer they're off to a brilliant start.

image.png
    BR2.png
    BR3.png
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent

This is one of those foaf-lore stories that isn't true. Ford never shot any scenes with long hair, official or non-official. There are screen test scenes of Dustin Hoffman in the role, but Ford insisted on the crew-cut as he didn't want to become stereo-typed as an actor in a hat - which is what Deckard was meant to be - a proper 'Dick Tracy' style investigator. As part of the agreement to take on the role, Ford got the chopped hair before the cameras started rolling.
    There's some stories that should be left and I believe that Blade Runner is one of them. I'll doubtless go see the movie, but I am expecting to hate it. I hope to be surprised.
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I think it the trailer looks good, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood

This is one of those foaf-lore stories that isn't true. Ford never shot any scenes with long hair, official or non-official. There are screen test scenes of Dustin Hoffman in the role, but Ford insisted on the crew-cut as he didn't want to become stereo-typed as an actor in a hat - which is what Deckard was meant to be - a proper 'Dick Tracy' style investigator. As part of the agreement to take on the role, Ford got the chopped hair before the cameras started rolling.
    There's some stories that should be left and I believe that Blade Runner is one of them. I'll doubtless go see the movie, but I am expecting to hate it. I hope to be surprised.
    If you see what appears to be Ford with longer hair its his stunt man friend Vic Armstrong who stood in for him in a few scenes, its particularly noticeable when he's investigating Leon's bath tub.
  • SkippySkippy Posts: 446MI6 Agent
    Oh yeah, I'm a fan...

BR_Wallet.jpg
    Skippy wrote:
    Oh yeah, I'm a fan...

BR_Wallet.jpg
    nice! heres some of my collection
    brgun.png
  • _Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent
    Skippy wrote:
    Oh yeah, I'm a fan...

BR_Wallet.jpg
    brgun.png

That blaster is amazing! Where did you come by that?
    Murder | Employment.
    _Stocks wrote:
    Skippy wrote:
    Oh yeah, I'm a fan...

BR_Wallet.jpg
    brgun.png

That blaster is amazing! Where did you come by that?
    thanks! I got it brand new off ebay about 4-5 years ago. It's mostly metal and has working lights though I have yet to get the correct batteries to light it up :))