Would Christian Bale fit in a future James Bond film?

JohnMastersonJohnMasterson MinnesotaPosts: 326MI6 Agent
I'm not going to lie to you, I had fantasized about Christian Bale possibly being James Bond after Daniel Craig had stepped down but now I'm realistic about it, odds are that's probably not going to happen but, what if Christian Bale was a villain instead of James Bond, 007, himself?

What if Christian Bale was a villain that sort of reminded you of Patrick Bateman from American Psycho, but he was also a villain that kind of had bigger aspirations than that of a Patrick Bateman...Would that sort of thing work? Would that kind of conceptual villain, would-would he jive with the current James Bond product???? ?:)
"Goodbye, my son. Our hopes and dreams travel with you." Jor-El ~ Man of Steel (2013)

Comments

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Can't stand the bloke. He stars in bond and I boycott the film.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,632MI6 Agent
    Bale should never work again. His arrogance and disregard for crewmembers is inexcusable.
  • JohnMastersonJohnMasterson MinnesotaPosts: 326MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:

Well, I can't stand Roger Moore and I didn't boycott any of those Bond films. I just don't enjoy watching them that's all.
    "Goodbye, my son. Our hopes and dreams travel with you." Jor-El ~ Man of Steel (2013)
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    I must admit I've never understood Christian Bale's appeal. I find him rather wooden and lacking in charisma. The Dark Knight was entertaining for what it was, but even so, I don't care for Bale in the role. For what it's worth, a director I admire—Werner Herzog—is a big fan of Bale, even once comparing him to Klaus Kinski if memory serves me. Sorry, Werner, I just don't see it.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
    Bale should never work again. His arrogance and disregard for crewmembers is inexcusable.

Didn't one of the crew members ruin a scene? Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're a crew member aren't you supposed to check the lightning of a scene before the camera starts rolling? Because I'm pretty sure that Christian Bale probably in all likelihood, didn't want to be on the set of Terminator Salvation, (because he had initially turned the role down) and he probably just did it because of something that McG said and Christian Bale was so kind to reiterate it in an ABCNews interview.

"One of the things that he [McG] said to me was 'hasn't anybody ever taken a leap of faith on you?' Well, then, come and take a leap of faith on me."

And I'm pretty sure that Christian Bale regrets taking that leap of faith because he didn't know that McG was gonna have an idiot working behind-the-scenes who was going to **** everything up. And the funny thing is, McG wasn't even there behind the camera directing the scene like he was supposed to. He was slacking off.
  • jasper_lamar_crabbjasper_lamar_crabb Posts: 169MI6 Agent
    Doesn't matter what the DOP did or didn't do, Bale's behaviour was disgusting regardless of the circumstances.

He'll never be Bond anyway because he's often a cold and distant presence on screen. It's often very difficult to warm to him.
    Doesn't matter what the DOP did or didn't do, Bale's behaviour was disgusting regardless of the circumstances.

Oh, come on. Don't give me that. I challenge you to put yourself in an actor's shoes. I challenge you to try and imagine what it's like to be on a film set with a director like McG who's clearly slacking off and doesn't really know what he's doing...And then you have to deal with a director of photography who's generally being incompetent and not very professional. You can't just walk off of the film set. You have to stay there and put up with this ****, you have to put up with a **** crew who's not anywhere near as intelligent and professional as Christopher Nolan and his crew.

I want you to tell me with a straight face, that you could honest to God, put up with McG and his crew. You can't can you? Because you're not an actor and you don't know what it's like to work with incompetent people. All of you "Joe public," and "Joe bloggers" are way too judgmental on actors. You judge them by whatever kind of dirt that you can dig up on them. You don't judge them purely on acting prowess because you can't separate the real person from the actor anymore, can you!?!
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I could see Bale as a villain, but not as Bond.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,745MI6 Agent
    Friend of mine was an extra on "The Dark Knight Rises". He said Bale literally appeared when it was time to do his scenes and then disappeared. No sign of him before or after. However, while he was on set, no tantrums, etc. One of the Assistant Directors explained that Bale was a heavy duty "method" actor and gets so deep into charactor that he cannot afford any distractions. At the opposite end was Ann Hathaway who plays Catwoman. My friend said she was incredibly friendly and sociable with everyone on set and at times even had lunch with the extras, crew and stunt people.

My friend also was an extra in a new Tom Cruise film that was being shot in Pittsburgh, PA and Cruise was a real sweetheart to be around also.

As far as Bale being a villain in a Bond film......sure. I just don't think EON would want to take a chance and have to deal with his
    potential "issues".
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent

Didn't one of the crew members ruin a scene? Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're a crew member aren't you supposed to check the lightning of a scene before the camera starts rolling? Because I'm pretty sure that Christian Bale probably in all likelihood, didn't want to be on the set of Terminator Salvation, (because he had initially turned the role down) and he probably just did it because of something that McG said and Christian Bale was so kind to reiterate it in an ABCNews interview.

"One of the things that he [McG] said to me was 'hasn't anybody ever taken a leap of faith on you?' Well, then, come and take a leap of faith on me."

And I'm pretty sure that Christian Bale regrets taking that leap of faith because he didn't know that McG was gonna have an idiot working behind-the-scenes who was going to **** everything up. And the funny thing is, McG wasn't even there behind the camera directing the scene like he was supposed to. He was slacking off.

While I can't be certain if McG was slacking off, a director not being present for a specific scene is in no way an indication that he/she is slacking off. Second units on movie crews are specifically there so the director doesn't always have to be there. The Lord of the Rings did massive amounts of filming while Peter Jackson wasn't available or was busy with other scenes, using the second unit members.

It's really common for film production to continue on with days or scenes where the director isn't around.

And while that crew member made a mistake, Bale overreacted to the interruption (hence the leak of the insanity for internet entertainment). Zack Snyder accidentally stayed in one of the scenes in Watchmen, but instead of any friction discussing it, he left the scene in and has a laugh about it. No one felt that it was so insane they needed to leak audio of the mistake to the internet.

Bale is too cold for Bond in my eyes. I need to see real romance and charm between him and his ladies, which I don't see the capacity for in Bale.
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Zack Snyder accidentally stayed in one of the scenes in Watchmen, but instead of any friction discussing it, he left the scene in and has a laugh about it. No one felt that it was so insane they needed to leak audio of the mistake to the internet.

Who cares about what Zack Snyder did or didn't do. Zack Snyder is not a method actor who takes his job too seriously. He's a director. Christian Bale takes his job very seriously because it's an art form to him. Whenever Bale has to deal with incompetence, he doesn't appreciate that very much. And neither would I, if I were a method actor for that matter.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,839MI6 Agent
    I think Christian Bale could have been a fantastic Bond ten years ago, now he's too famous.
    Bale isn't nice all the time - so what? The best Bond ever (Connery) has said in an interview that violence to women can be defencible. The nicest Bond actor (Moore), was also the worst Bond.
    minigeff wrote:

Well, I can't stand Roger Moore and I didn't boycott any of those Bond films. I just don't enjoy watching them that's all.

you're saying you would willingly do something that you don't enjoy? bit odd.
    Number24 wrote:
    I think Christian Bale could have been a fantastic Bond ten years ago, now he's too famous.
    Bale isn't nice all the time - so what? The best Bond ever (Connery) has said in an interview that violence to women can be defencible. The nicest Bond actor (Moore), was also the worst Bond.

i'm a nice guy and I too think that violence of any type isn't that great. i assume you're saying connery isn't nice because he said its ok to hit women, but you don't put it into context. if a woman is stood gunning down children, would you not think it a good idea to shoot her? if a woman attacked her husband with a carving knife, would it not be fair for the guy to lamp her one in self defence? I bloody would, and I'm a nice guy (i think).

christian bale, from what i've seen of him comes across as an arrogant egotistical knob who thinks that fame makes him some kind of higher being which we should all admire and adore. i know plenty of people who would stand up and do more for human rights, not because it got them good publicity, but because they believe in it. christian bale stands up for human rights because his high paying job allows him to take a more active role and it raises his profile.

he's a dick, i can't stand him, and that daft gruff voice he puts on as batman is the most annoying thing i've witnessed on screen. apart from madonna.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I second MG's thoughts on Bale - however I have enjoyed his 2 Batman outings very much.

Generally speaking, I find this kind of discussions very boring. Danny seems to enjoy the job, he'll do at least 2 more in my opinion, so what's the purpose of these "if and when" discussions?

It reminds me to my wife with some of her girls sitting around a coffee table and talking - just for the purpose of 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    he's a dick, i can't stand him, and that daft gruff voice he puts on as batman is the most annoying thing i've witnessed on screen. apart from madonna.

Or Jedward?! :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think he'd make a good villain. -{
    Although I do agree he comes across as abit of a dick, after all blowing your top at some poor lighting guy
    might just be understandable if he'd been doing a really deep Checkoff/ Berkoff Play, but come on Terminator 4. :))
    Then again I don't think he had the most stable family life, didn't his Mum and sister try and extort money
    out of him ?

I have a soft spot for Jedward, It's a bog on the west coast of Ireland. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Well I can tell you one thing, if people think Bond is dark and too serious with DC at the helm then Christian Bale would make it even more serious.

I would have liked the idea before he hit the big time, too late now in my opinion
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    minigeff wrote:
    You're saying you would willingly do something that you don't enjoy? A bit odd.

I enjoy Man with the Golden Gun for the Bond girls. They're definitely not the best written Bond girls but I do enjoy looking at them. I enjoy Moonraker and Spy Who Loved Me for the appearance of Jaws. I love Jaws in both of those movies. I tend to ignore Roger Moore whenever I'm watching all three of those movies.
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Oh, come on. Give me the name of any actor who isn't a total dick.

If you play dress-up for a living... Well, it ain't helping.

Though I agree, Bale pushes the "I'm a well-paid fuckin nutcase" to the limit as a person.

As Bond? It'd be exciting. Will it happen? Nah. Too old; EON'll go young next time. But would he say the right, trite things as JB? Cause he would; I thought Craig'd be a liability from that point of view, but he tows the trite EON line, flogs watches, even beer, these days.
    As Bond? It'd be exciting. Will it happen? Nah. Too old.

You're kind of stupid. I'm talking about Christian Bale possibly playing a James Bond villain. Because wouldn't that be interesting if Christian Bale basically played Patrick Bateman in a Bond movie but he had some kind of plan to pretty much kill as many people as possible? And he made it look like an anarchistic act of terrorism. Sort of like The Joker in The Dark Knight.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Actors can enter a stressful world and the guy was probably on coke frankly. I've lost count of the number of actors/pop stars I admire who, it turns out, have a few bad stories to their name. This encompasses David Niven, John Lennon, Roger Moore, John Mills, David Bowie...

Also it's not always on to side with the underdog in these situations, sometimes he's the guy who secretly thinks he's better than the main man and wants to undermine him. If a rubbish bit of acting goes on film, it's not the underdog who gets it in the neck.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,745MI6 Agent

Though I agree, Bale pushes the "I'm a well-paid fuckin nutcase" to the limit as a person.

As Bond? It'd be exciting. Will it happen? Nah. Too old; EON'll go young next time. But would he say the right, trite things as JB? Cause he would; I thought Craig'd be a liability from that point of view, but he tows the trite EON line, flogs watches, even beer, these days.

DC's a working class lad from the North, not a fool. His Bond millions will keep him in indies, stage shows and just about anything else he fancies long after his tenure as Bond is over. Having a reputation as a team player and a decent sort around the set won't hurt either.
    True, I'll also submit that Craig keeps his feet on the ground and almost certainly isn't into drugs or that kind of (sexual) excess that breeds obnoxiousness, it helps he gets on with the producers.

Mind you, if he had to deal with incompetence on the Bond set, rubbish scripts and so on, we might see another side to him.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    minigeff wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

Number24 wrote:

i'm a nice guy and I too think that violence of any type isn't that great. i assume you're saying connery isn't nice because he said its ok to hit women, but you don't put it into context. if a woman is stood gunning down children, would you not think it a good idea to shoot her? if a woman attacked her husband with a carving knife, would it not be fair for the guy to lamp her one in self defence? I bloody would, and I'm a nice guy (i think).

christian bale, from what i've seen of him comes across as an arrogant egotistical knob who thinks that fame makes him some kind of higher being which we should all admire and adore. i know plenty of people who would stand up and do more for human rights, not because it got them good publicity, but because they believe in it. christian bale stands up for human rights because his high paying job allows him to take a more active role and it raises his profile.

I think we can all agree it`s permisable to hit homocidal maniacs, even the female ones. But I doubt that`s what Connery ment when he said it`s OK to hit a woman if she refuses to listen to reason ...
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    edited May 2012
    HowardB wrote:

DC's a working class lad from the North, not a fool. His Bond millions will keep him in indies, stage shows and just about anything else he fancies long after his tenure as Bond is over. Having a reputation as a team player and a decent sort around the set won't hurt either.

As someone from the North (of England) as DC, similar age, I doubt he's working classs, however much it might be spun out.

Middle, yes.

A fool? No one who makes that kind of cash, has that kind of lifestyle, could have that kind of popularity, could ever be considered a fool.

Nor does it stop him (or any other actor) from being a dick, I'm afraid.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,779MI6 Agent
    edited May 2012
    Bale would play Bond too cold, too ruthless - too similar to Mr Craig, but without the same subtle levels of charisma. In Terminator and Batman he has been great, but his characters have a damaged, flat nature to them. I can;t see that working for Bond so soon after Mr Craig who is great in the role. He could be a Bond baddie heavy - like Red Grant?

I have been an extra in the past too - no one knows how an actor will behave except those closest to them. Plus the demand of film and tv production effects people in different ways. (Esp tv which has punishing hours, and painful deadlines) Some actors are chatty, outgoing, have lots of energy and have sociable warmth. Others are quiet, keep themselves to themselves, seem tightly focused, perhaps even withdrawn. This is no way to gauge an individual or their behaviour. As outsiders, none of us can really know.

As to the "hissy fit" incident, well he was caught and it was broadcast. Either he was embarrassed, or he didn't care. Either way such behaviour is out of line.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    edited May 2012
    Woops, double post
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Number24 wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

Number24 wrote:

I think we can all agree it`s permisable to hit homocidal maniacs, even the female ones. But I doubt that`s what Connery ment when he said it`s OK to hit a woman if she refuses to listen to reason ...

Ah right, I've actually done a quick google search to find out what you're going on about.

Although yes, Connery did say its ok... Etc etc, that wasn't him having a bale style hissy fit at a crew member. It was him being a dick however, but in a different context.

I honestly believe hardly anyone on tv is genuine.

Let's just step back a bit. The thread in question here is regarding whether Christian 'I hate lighting men' bale would be a suitable actor to play a bond villain.

From what I've seen of his 'madd skilz', I'd say no. I don't like the guy, what I've seen of him hasn't amazed me (let's face it, the dark knight woulda been **** without ledger and oldman) and his whole persona would be the very opposite of what I'd class as a good all round nice bloke.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Bale's looks aren't quite right for me, I suppose neither is Craig, but there you go. He had that pretty boy Brosnan look at one point, but his nose is a bit odd and no, no real charisma I can see, still he's got an Oscar hasn't he? Again, he's a character actor all told. As such, the boy's done good, but we're in the star or not a star thing. He takes stuff seriously, and puts himself through it, but the Protestant work ethic only gets you so far...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Hollywood celebs seldom are on Scandinavian talkshows, I don`t get the US ones, Or E! or much of any of that. I mostly see actors acting in movies, the old fashioned way. I think that`s a good thing.

Also - why is this topic in the Skyfall thread?