'You're Never Alone with a Bond' Vintage covers

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
edited July 2012 in James Bond Literature
Not the Saul Bass-style ones, but these contemporary covers.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/literary_fleming_vintage_paperback_designs.php3?t=&s=main&id=03204

Again a bit 'meh'. I quite like Moonraker, except Bond seems a bit bandy legged, if that is meant to be him. Most remind me of that ill-fated cigarette moody ad campaign of the late 50s I believe, the tag going 'You're never alone with a Strand', unwittingly suggesting that those who smoke Strands are lonely, billy no mates.

FRWL is okay, though bond looks like he's wet himself and is trying to hobble back to his hotel - imagine having to find Tanya there, that would be a drag, maybe CR is best. Or For Your Eyes Only, though does it really have the Eiffel Tower in? I suppose it does in FAVTAK.

Overall it looks a bit amateurish, you see better efforts on this site and the other fan sites.
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    They're OK, but they seem more appropriate for travel books than Bond novels. And, hmmm, is it just my dirty mind, or do the covers for Moonraker, FRWL, and FYEO carry some sort of symbolism. . .?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • yoyoyojoyoyoyojo Posts: 46MI6 Agent
    Well at least they put the debate to rest ... there is only ONE Bond!
    Not the Saul Bass-style ones, but these contemporary covers.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/literary_fleming_vintage_paperback_designs.php3?t=&s=main&id=03204

Again a bit 'meh'. I quite like Moonraker, except Bond seems a bit bandy legged, if that is meant to be him. Most remind me of that ill-fated cigarette moody ad campaign of the late 50s I believe, the tag going 'You're never alone with a Strand', unwittingly suggesting that those who smoke Strands are lonely, billy no mates.

FRWL is okay, though bond looks like he's wet himself and is trying to hobble back to his hotel - imagine having to find Tanya there, that would be a drag, maybe CR is best. Or For Your Eyes Only, though does it really have the Eiffel Tower in? I suppose it does in FAVTAK.

Overall it looks a bit amateurish, you see better efforts on this site and the other fan sites.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    My favourite covers I remember as a Teen, ( I'm not a collector so don't know
    what publising they'd of been ) had a large gun with various girls drapped
    over it in different positions, as a teen boy they caught my interest. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    As a kid I had one like that TP! The Dutch version of Goldfinger; translated as "de man met de gouden vingers" (the man with the golden fingers)
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    The DAF one with the body stocking was a bit much... :o
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    The second wave of covers for Vintage Books 'There Is Only One Bond' series have been revealed. These final seven paperbacks will be released on October 4, 2012.

"THERE IS ONLY ONE BOND" second wave covers revealed
    http://www.thebookbond.com/2012/07/there-is-only-one-bond-second-wave.html
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,178MI6 Agent
    OMG - where have I been????
    These covers are absolutely dreadful. Black and white. A brooding Bond silhouette. Snapshot tourist scenes that sometimes conjure the story and other times are ridiculously obscure. Black and white. Black and white.
    Oh goodness me.
    We seem to have too many different covers appearing (every two years or something like it?) and most of them are bare scapes that lack imagination.
    Mind, it's very hard to beat some of those Pan covers - perhaps a reissue is due???