Re: The Bondologist Blog - NEW ARTICLE (22/03/16)

UPDATE: The new article will look at why Ian Fleming never set a James Bond novel in India.  ajb007/martini

Writer @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
Follow TBB on Twitter: Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
Read a sample TBB article: King Ernst I

Interesting  ajb007/martini

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

The article has been delayed until later in 2015 and will be called:

The Very Last of the British Raj – Ian Fleming, James Bond and India

Last edited by Silhouette Man (1st Aug 2015 20:00)

I'm very pleased to announce the arrival of my comeback article (it's been a while since my last one on Anthony Burgess and TSWLM) over on The Bondologist Blog. Titled "The Madness of 'King Ernst I' in Ian Fleming’s You Only Live Twice (1964)" it can be read in full at the link below:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.u … n-ian.html

Please feel free to leave your comments on the article at the blog or in this specific blog thread. All feedback positive or negative is appreciated! Thanks for reading! The blog will be coming back on a firmer footing from here on in.  ajb007/smile

Great article SM   ajb007/martini  Yes in his later Years Blofeld did seem
to go a little crazy. Although Bond doe's get his revenge on
him " Up close and personal".

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

Thunderpussy wrote:

Great article SM   ajb007/martini  Yes in his later Years Blofeld did seem
to go a little crazy. Although Bond doe's get his revenge on
him " Up close and personal".

Thank you, TP!  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

Yes, indeed you are right on the latter Blofeld.

This article featured here last year in my comeback post on AJB but I've since added some more to it in order to make it more suitable as a TBB post.  ajb007/smile

congratulations  ajb007/cheers  it was very entertaining, I hope
many read it.  ajb007/smile

Thunderpussy wrote:

congratulations  ajb007/cheers  it was very entertaining, I hope
many read it.  ajb007/smile

Me too! As I said above I hope to update the blog more regularly from now on!  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

I just want to check with blog readers here if the screen is wobbling from side to side on this new blog article? A friend of mine has told me that it is doing this with him.

Fine with me. On phone and tablet.

Thunderpussy wrote:

Fine with me. On phone and tablet.

Great. It might just be on some computers then.

Any other feedback on the new TBB article is most welcome - either here or on the blog comment box. Thanks.  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

A worthwhile look inside Fleming's last published novel (in his lifetime), with some well-observed points to make.
Interesting to ponder whether or not Dahl had read "Thrilling Cities", but as you say we'll never know now. What would also be interesting is to know exactly how much Bloom had written before Dahl took over- stories differ!

11 songs done for next CD- one being discarded- now the mixing & mastering begins.

Barbel wrote:

A worthwhile look inside Fleming's last published novel (in his lifetime), with some well-observed points to make.
Interesting to ponder whether or not Dahl had read "Thrilling Cities", but as you say we'll never know now. What would also be interesting is to know exactly how much Bloom had written before Dahl took over- stories differ!

Thank you, Barbel. That's much appreciated!  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

I agree it would be great to know exactly what was Harold Jack Bloom's contribution to YOLT as opposed to Roald Dahl's contribution. As you say - there is debate out there but perhaps I could write a future blog article on that and try to collate all of the information together in one place as it were.  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

I think that would be a worthwhile project, SM. The film of YOLT, whether individuals like it or not, is essential  to the Bond ethos: TSWLM and MR would not exist without it, for example, at least not in their existing form and Mike Myers would have been at a loss!

As I see it, the film version of YOLT has several authors (or perhaps auteurs might be the word):

(1) As it should be: Ian Fleming. All the principal characters are his, as is the choice of setting the story in Japan, Tiger Tanaka being the head of their Secret Service and forming a friendship with Bond, his underground train setting, the Ninja school, Kissy Suzuki (yes, I know she isn't named) being an Ama girl, Bond "going Japanese", Henderson, Blofeld, piranha fish etc etc.

(2) Roald Dahl. Working within the restrictions of using the Fleming material above, the Bloom material below, and Broccoli/Saltzman's orders (Dahl's contemporary Playboy interview mentions among other things the "three girl formula", for example) Dahl still manages to create the blueprint for future Bond productions.

(3) Harold Jack Bloom. Mystery surrounds Bloom's work on the film. He was included in Broccoli & co's initial visits to Japan and his credit "Additional Story Material" is really vague.

(4) Cubby Broccoli. He is generally credited with being behind the move from Fleming's Castle of Death (since they couldn't find a corresponding castle, because they aren't built on coasts in Japan due to weather conditions) to a volcano.

All in all, there's a story here worth telling.

11 songs done for next CD- one being discarded- now the mixing & mastering begins.

Barbel wrote:

I think that would be a worthwhile project, SM. The film of YOLT, whether individuals like it or not, is essential  to the Bond ethos: TSWLM and MR would not exist without it, for example, at least not in their existing form and Mike Myers would have been at a loss!

As I see it, the film version of YOLT has several authors (or perhaps auteurs might be the word):

(1) As it should be: Ian Fleming. All the principal characters are his, as is the choice of setting the story in Japan, Tiger Tanaka being the head of their Secret Service and forming a friendship with Bond, his underground train setting, the Ninja school, Kissy Suzuki (yes, I know she isn't named) being an Ama girl, Bond "going Japanese", Henderson, Blofeld, piranha fish etc etc.

(2) Roald Dahl. Working within the restrictions of using the Fleming material above, the Bloom material below, and Broccoli/Saltzman's orders (Dahl's contemporary Playboy interview mentions among other things the "three girl formula", for example) Dahl still manages to create the blueprint for future Bond productions.

(3) Harold Jack Bloom. Mystery surrounds Bloom's work on the film. He was included in Broccoli & co's initial visits to Japan and his credit "Additional Story Material" is really vague.

(4) Cubby Broccoli. He is generally credited with being behind the move from Fleming's Castle of Death (since they couldn't find a corresponding castle, because they aren't built on coasts in Japan due to weather conditions) to a volcano.

An excellent post there, Barbel. Very well put.

You've essentially crystallised what needs to be covered in such an article as I suggested two posts above.

Much food for thought there.

As you may know, I have a special interest in YOLT and have written on it on the blog several times now so this could be a welcome addition to those articles.  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

Barbel wrote:

Add in Saltzman's relationship with Geoffrey Jenkins and the staged burial of Commander Geoffrey Peace at sea at the start of 1966's novel HUNTER KILLER?

Which might be considered the basis for an early sequence of the film of YOLT...

Although I haven't had the opportunity to read the latest post I'm an avid fan of this blog (indeed it's the only blog I follow). It is packed to the rafters with brilliantly written articles & I recommend it to anyone who hasn't yet seen it.

stag wrote:

Although I haven't had the opportunity to read the latest post I'm an avid fan of this blog (indeed it's the only blog I follow). It is packed to the rafters with brilliantly written articles & I recommend it to anyone who hasn't yet seen it.

Thank you, stag. I really appreciate that.  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

You're welcome. I just wish that all things on the internet were as well constructed as the Bondologist Blog - actually I don't as I'd never be off the computer!

I visited only last evening. It's fantastic stuff & I hope it can gather as wide an audience as possible.

stag wrote:

You're welcome. I just wish that all things on the internet were as well constructed as the Bondologist Blog - actually I don't as I'd never be off the computer!

I visited only last evening. It's fantastic stuff & I hope it can gather as wide an audience as possible.

Thanks again for the kind words. I really appreciate it and it keeps my heart up to keep writing these articles - they're hard work at times and I know all too well my limitations as a writer.

I'd be particularly interested to know what you thought of the newest TBB article "THe Madness of 'King Ernst I' in Ian Fleming's You Only Live Twice (1964)"?  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

A quick update to let my blog readers know that a new Guest Article by my new contributor Pete Swan has been uploaded today at The Bondologist Blog to accompany the release of Spectre in cinemas. The article focuses on 10 quotes from the original Ian Fleming James Bond novels that we're not likely to see on the cinema screen any time soon:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.u … mings.html

Last edited by Silhouette Man (16th Nov 2015 20:13)

I'd love to hear your thoughts on my new Guest Article by Pete Swan called '10 Offensive Quotes from Ian Fleming's James Bond Novels' either in this thread or over at the blog comments section.  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

Last edited by Silhouette Man (19th Nov 2015 18:47)

Today I've uploaded a new Guest Article by Colonel Sun expert and author Hank Reineke:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.u … ssier.html

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

The upcoming content will still be of the same quality, despite the slight name change of the blog.

Last edited by Silhouette Man (6th Nov 2016 17:28)