What do you like about the Connery era Bond films?

osrisosris Posts: 558MI6 Agent
For me, the Bond films are ultimately represented by the Connery era; with its escapism, sophistication, humour, charm, deftly staged fights, the best of John Barry’s Bond scores, the best wardrobe departments and set designs, and so on.

What are the things you like about that era?

Comments

• ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    I love the simplicity of the films. The villains had very simple plans and Bond faced interesting obstacles throughout the missions, but they were all very easy to follow, unlike QoS which is the polar opposite of the Connery films in my opinion.
    "Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE
  • SherbrookSherbrook Melbourne AustraliaPosts: 137MI6 Agent
    I like the early 60s "high-tech" gadgets!

Connery's clothing is very classy and cool, much more so than Roger Moore's 70s safari suits
    I must be dreaming
  • L JonesL Jones Posts: 131MI6 Agent
    I have no answer to this question. It depends upon the individual films. At least two Connery films are among my favorite in the franchise. I like at least . . . two or three others. I think one is horrible, but I still like it because I found it funny. And I really dislike two of his Bond films. Like the other Bonds, Connery's films are a mixed bag for me.

Connery's clothing is very classy and cool, much more so than Roger Moore's 70s safari suits

Most of Moore's wardrobe in the 1970s were rather conservative. And two, the man did three Bond films in the 1980s. And they were still conservative.

Why do Bond fans insist upon planting negative labels about Moore and all of his films . . . as if they were all the same?
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    You'll find some people will always point out the negative aspects long before mentioning anything positive.

I think most people think along the lines of L Jones, that being that each actor has good and bad bond films. Certainly for me, it's not a matter of one actor being better or superior to others.

Looking back at all the previous bonds, I generally find I prefer each actor's earlier efforts, Connery's first 3, OHMSS, LALD, TLD, GE, all with the exception of Craig who I prefer SF over both CR and QoS.

So when it comes down to the thread question, I'd say 'the 60's era in which the majority were made'.

MG -{
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • jeffchjeffch Posts: 163MI6 Agent
    Memorable villains, fairly simple plots, great sets.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I agree with the elements you identified (plus Connery himself, of course!)
    osris wrote:
    For me, the Bond films are ultimately represented by the Connery era; with its escapism, sophistication, humour, charm, deftly staged fights, the best of John Barry’s Bond scores, the best wardrobe departments and set designs, and so on.

What are the things you like about that era?
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • toddthatchertoddthatcher ohioPosts: 74MI6 Agent
    i've been evaluating all the 007 pictures on my movie blog. i've gotten to diamonds are forever. it's not pretty:

http://toddmthatcher.wordpress.com/2013/01/02/the-007-files-diamonds-are-forever/