Favorite Fleming Covers

RedlandRedland NYCPosts: 19MI6 Agent
The Bond books have been blessed with many fantastic covers over the years. The most recent US editions (minimalist, black, white, and red [all over]) are far less exciting than older editions. They're almost the direct opposite of the flashy, colorful, and pulpy covers for the US Penguin series released about 10 years ago. One may feel that either or both of these covers don't have the right personality to go along with the book's actual content, and/or one might just find these covers aesthetically unpleasing.

I offer two questions.

1. Which do you prefer: the recent US editions or the 2nd most recent US editions by Penguin?
2. And a more fun question...what are your favorite Fleming Bond covers of all time? Feel free to post links or images. There are a lot of simply beautiful covers.

---

1. I don't think the recent US editions really say anything. They are all a matching set, but so indiscriminately so. Perhaps there is some visual representation of Bond's psyche to be found in them, but I find them overwhelmingly dull. I'm also not fond of the typeface on the inside, the bright white paper stock, or the lack of italics on foreign dialogue (unsure if this is Fleming or editorial). The Penguin series is gorgeous and clever, displaying an obviously close reading of Fleming's imagery. They also found some fantastic models. The Solitaire on the LALD cover is a knockout. I think all of the subway riders were getting jealous when they saw me reading it. But I digress. The Penguin covers are sometimes too busy or even a little silly, but they have more of the Bond je ne sais quoi that I admire so much

2. I'll hold off on talking too much on this, but I'm a fan of the peephole FYEO first edition, and the Thunderball knife-and-hand first edition (and to a lesser extent the matching OHMSS, FRWL, and TSWLM first editions).

Bonus round: Can we all just talk about how awesome the original drug trip cover of Colonel Sun is? No. Not now. Another topic. But I mean really.
The bitch is dead now.

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    The Great pan Editions always had Bond on the front.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    ohmss-book-club.jpg

Also, an early Pan of FRWL with Bond looking pleased with himself and very much like Connery.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,648MI6 Agent
    ohmss-book-club.jpg

Also, an early Pan of FRWL with Bond looking pleased with himself and very much like Connery.

I have that OHMSS one, along with TB, TSWLM, YOLT and TMWTGG! Great covers!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    My first copy of Thunderball was the Pan edition from the early 70s, which featured items from the novel in a kind of jumbled array - almost as if Bond had kept them and dumped them on his desk. All of the other Fleming books had the same scenario, all with a photo of the 'Bond girl' somewhere on them, and more often than not featuring food, drink, and weapons: all the stuff I love about Bond :))

Since then I've collected them all (at the time, LALD had just been released at the cinema, and the reprint featured the film poster, so there was no matching edition).

This is my collection - most of them are a bit dog-earred now:

P1020509.jpg

This is still my favourite: Thunderball. I love the composition, the imagery, everything - I think it works really well. And IMO it's the best novel too.

P1020511.jpg
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,648MI6 Agent
    I've got a few of those "still life" Pan early 1970s covers too - nice collection there, C & D. :)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • RevelatorRevelator Posts: 558MI6 Agent
    01. The Penguins are certainly more eye-catching than the bland, recent U.S. editions.

02. Perhaps it's because they're the first Flemings I bought, but the Berkley covers are my favorite. You can see them at the Book Bond blog (http://www.thebookbond.com/2011/10/fleming-in-80s-and-case-of-curious.html), from which I have revised an old comment:

Beyond nostalgia, there are several reasons why I like those covers, though many have found them garish.
    First, the lettering is extremely prominent and well-placed, giving ample space to "James Bond" and "Ian Fleming."
    The color scheme might be a trifle loud (no louder than a Maurice Binder credits sequence) but it certainly catches your eye. You can hardly miss these books in a store.
    The design is simple enough to be repeated, thereby emphasizing that this is a series. And that series emphasis comes through more clearly than in any other set of Fleming covers.
    The design is simple but elegant (three rows of text and a graphic) and leaves room for variation in the silhouettes--and the latter are a terrific idea. They pay tribute to the Binder's gunbarrels and capture the spirit of Fleming. Whereas other covers try to picture Bond or his women--something that should be left to the reader--these covers pay tribute to Fleming's conception of Bond as "the man who was only a silhouette."

I haven't been thrilled by many of the other Fleming covers. I thought Choppings' were overrated and lacked excitement. And though the Penguin retro covers were well-made, they looked trashy--like all the covers that focused on the girls. The Pan 70s series I admire, because whoever designed them had obviously done his reading.
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    I have a complete collection of the new "minimalist" versions on my Kindle. I must say I am not overly impressed with the cover art and puzzled why they chose this abstract approach. I mean, they're kinda cool but not very Bond-like.

I'm not all that familiar with the original artwork of the books. (compared to knowing all the various posters for the films)
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    The early 60's Great Pan Covers are very nice as well -{ I always like the Minimal Covers of the Vintage Reprints from a few Years back that I own :)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,060Chief of Staff
    My first copy of Thunderball was the Pan edition from the early 70s, which featured items from the novel in a kind of jumbled array - almost as if Bond had kept them and dumped them on his desk. All of the other Fleming books had the same scenario, all with a photo of the 'Bond girl' somewhere on them, and more often than not featuring food, drink, and weapons: all the stuff I love about Bond :))

Since then I've collected them all (at the time, LALD had just been released at the cinema, and the reprint featured the film poster, so there was no matching edition).

P1020509.jpg

I loved that series of covers! Well researched, faithful, accurate, and very Fleming.
    Barbel wrote:

P1020509.jpg

I loved that series of covers! Well researched, faithful, accurate, and very Fleming.

Seconded. Those particular covers are called the "still life" series I believe. -{
    The GF Cover, with it's golden Coins in the Eye sockets of the Skull -{
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent
    The "Vintage 007" series of book covers are rather appealing in their simplicity. I particularly love the Moonraker one.

randomhousevintagejamesbondcovers.jpg
  • FlightyFlighty Southampton , EnglandPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    You only live twice!! Growing up my father had a lot of Fleming books and had this exact collection. I remember I loved this one so much because of the scorpion, that's probably why the enjoying death scorpion scene is my favourite in Skyfall.
    image.jpg
    Last rat standing.
    This one I remember well from my youth (an uncle of mine had it) and it made an impression, thanks to the rather unique trigger on the gun...

James+Bond+Pan+Book+Covers13.jpg
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    The Richie Fahey covers that Penguin published in the early 2000s were very nice, I have the UK set that was printed a few years later with those covers.

My favourite paperback covers are the earlier Pan ones with painted artworks, especially those by Sam Peffer.
    I also really like the later Raymond Hawkey designed series.

The ultimate covers though are the first editions with artwork by Richard Chopping.
    Golrush007 wrote:
    The Richie Fahey covers that Penguin published in the early 2000s were very nice, I have the UK set that was printed a few years later with those covers.

Yes, they're very nice.

book-covers-09.jpg
    The 'Wood Grain' Effect used for FRWL onwards, is simple but effective -{
    002 wrote:
    This one I remember well from my youth (an uncle of mine had it) and it made an impression, thanks to the rather unique trigger on the gun...

James+Bond+Pan+Book+Covers13.jpg

I love that one too. :) -{
    Me too -{
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Always liked Thunderball, the man's back with two bullet holes in it. -{
    And the later versions, with girls draped over a gun in various poses. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Always liked Thunderball, the man's back with two bullet holes in it. -{
    And the later versions, with girls draped over a gun in various poses. :)

Yes, Raymond Hawkey designed the Thunderball Pan cover you refer to. :) -{
    live_let_die_book2.jpg

This will always be my favorite Bond Cover Art -{
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Still life ones are absolutely the best (after the hardback firsts).

Had 'em all mint as a kid. Wish I had now. :(
    A mint Hardback of MR was going on Ebay for £3000 the other Week :o
    Still got me hardback firsts. That's why I got rid of me still life set; thought I was going up in the world, got a bit snobby about paperbacks. :s

Still, think there'd be a market for full size, back-front-and-spine repros of the old pbs...
    I've always preferred Paperbacks, Books are supposed to show there Age with torn Pages and creased Covers -{
    I've always preferred Paperbacks, Books are supposed to show there Age with torn bent, torn Pages and creased Covers -{

Quite agree. That's why my hardbacks are bashed about - because they've been read and re-read...?

If you're lucky enough you get to own the hardbacks firsts and as they're the most desireable to own, you read them instead
    Argh! My OCD is kicking into overdrive: I always take great pains to keep my paperbacks as pristine as possible. :o It bugs me if the spine gets the slightest crease in it. :# To say nothing of my reaction when someone borrowing my books mistreats them!

I really, really hate it when people do this to my books...

6a00e3981f1e39883301156ffd7316970b-500wi
    Murder ! :))
    Murder ! :))

Indeed. :o I get a bit like this: werewolf1.jpg