Was Silva a wasted oppurtunity

scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
Silva was a great villain but I think they could of taken the character in a whole different direction, the possible re-introduction of one Ernst Stavro Blofeld. I know it's been discussed to death, and I am certainly not saying this is what they SHOULD have done but I am saying that if they were to reintroduce the character then this would of been how I would want them to do it.

Imagine the scene where Silva is being held in a glass prison cell in MI6's temporary headquarters, we have already learned that he is a figure from M's past, an ex-agent, abandoned by M and presumed dead, then M walk's in with Bond to meet him face to face, then when Silva gets upset and tells M to use his real name she utters. "...Ernst..." and as well as removing his false teeth he pulls off his hair that we know now is a wig then rubs his face smearing off make-up that reveals a scar across his eye and it turns out rather than cyanide he was tortured of burnt or something that resulted in his appearance.

I just think that it would of been a great introduction and back-story to a familiar character. I loved Silva as a villain and I understand that it is too late for any of this but I want to know what other people think about this or if they have any other opinions on whether or not Silva could of been changed/improved Blofeld or otherwise.
http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.

Comments

• LastRatStandingLastRatStanding ScotlandPosts: 296MI6 Agent
    An interesting idea! If something like that was to happen in the future i'd probably be a big fan of it but in the case of Silva I don't like the sound of it too much. If there was none of the ex-agent thing and he'd been played off as an enemy of Bond as opposed to M then I suppose it could have worked. I don't think Blofeld would have fitted into the Skyfall story very well though. But a reveal like this in a more suitable plot line would be cool! -{
    Now, they only eat rat.
  • don pdon p Posts: 589MI6 Agent
    imagine if they had kept mathis,, and silva was an enemy rival of mathis.or mathis had been his mentor.
    Yep, Mathis is a better example of a 'wasted opportunity' if you ask me.
    Now, they only eat rat.
  • scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
    An interesting idea! If something like that was to happen in the future i'd probably be a big fan of it but in the case of Silva I don't like the sound of it too much. If there was none of the ex-agent thing and he'd been played off as an enemy of Bond as opposed to M then I suppose it could have worked. I don't think Blofeld would have fitted into the Skyfall story very well though. But a reveal like this in a more suitable plot line would be cool! -{

I see what you are saying, my theory/idea would of obviously given Blofeld an entirely new backstory/identity for the new age of Bond, I imagine if this had happened then instead of him dying at the end of the film at the hands of Bond, as he is about to kill M, Bond could of intervened by knocking Silva out for a few moments, then we see Bond watching M die, all the while Silva/Blofeld awakens, witnesses this and at the same time concedes defeat and slips away unnoticed and this could of paved the way for Blofeld swearing revenge on Bond for his years of planning to kill M by his own hands and likewise with Bond wanting revenge for M's death thus making them sworn enemies.

Just thoughts of course. I was perfectly happy with how Skyfall ended, just want to see more of Javier Bardem!
  • don pdon p Posts: 589MI6 Agent
    Yep, Mathis is a better example of a 'wasted opportunity' if you ask me.

very wasted. i did enjoy the scene in QoS when bond went to visit, a good rapour could have been built in future films, mathis could ! have been put in place instead of kincade,
    scottmu65 wrote:

I see what you are saying, my theory/idea would of obviously given Blofeld an entirely new backstory/identity for the new age of Bond, I imagine if this had happened then instead of him dying at the end of the film at the hands of Bond, as he is about to kill M, Bond could of intervened by knocking Silva out for a few moments, then we see Bond watching M die, all the while Silva/Blofeld awakens, witnesses this and at the same time concedes defeat and slips away unnoticed and this could of paved the way for Blofeld swearing revenge on Bond for his years of planning to kill M by his own hands and likewise with Bond wanting revenge for M's death thus making them sworn enemies.

Just thoughts of course. I was perfectly happy with how Skyfall ended, just want to see more of Javier Bardem!

When you say 'paved the way for Blofeld swearing revenge' do you mean as a prelude to the 60's Bonds or for future Bonds? I can never tell what peoples views are on the reboot/timeline/craig era are because everyone differs :s Personally I'm up for Blofeld returning as the same character he was in the 60's but more modern and with disregard to the previous missions he was involved in (so no references to the past). However if a Bond film came out and in the PTS we seen a flash back of Tracy's death and then in the film Blofeld was discovered to be alive and Bond tracks him down for revenge..I think i'd explode with excitement. But another part of me is glad that he's been out of the series so long so I don't know! I'd be open minded about his return, but there is potential for it to go oh so wrong :#
    Now, they only eat rat.
    scottmu65 wrote:

When you say 'paved the way for Blofeld swearing revenge' do you mean as a prelude to the 60's Bonds or for future Bonds? I can never tell what peoples views are on the reboot/timeline/craig era are because everyone differs :s Personally I'm up for Blofeld returning as the same character he was in the 60's but more modern and with disregard to the previous missions he was involved in (so no references to the past). However if a Bond film came out and in the PTS we seen a flash back of Tracy's death and then in the film Blofeld was discovered to be alive and Bond tracks him down for revenge..I think i'd explode with excitement. But another part of me is glad that he's been out of the series so long so I don't know! I'd be open minded about his return, but there is potential for it to go oh so wrong :#

I don't view the reboot series as prequels to any of the other films or stories, that 'timeline' (if you can call it that) ended after Die Another Day. The reboot is completely seperate.
    scottmu65 wrote:
    I don't view the reboot series as prequels to any of the other films or stories, that 'timeline' (if you can call it that) ended after Die Another Day. The reboot is completely seperate.

In that case a return of Blofeld, or at least a recurring 'larger than life' villain would be more than welcome :D.

Back on topic though, I think they pretty much hit the nail on the head with Silva. He got a lot of praise character wise and Bardem got a lot of praise for his portrayal. There are many villains in the series who could be reoccuring and it would work. Mr. White for example I think would have made a better Blofeld than Silva.
    Now, they only eat rat.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,613MI6 Agent
    Ernst Stavro Blofeld is done to death. Non more of this frankly boriong Bondian character - he was much better developed in the novels.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Ernst Stavro Blofeld is done to death. Non more of this frankly boriong Bondian character - he was much better developed in the novels.

I sort of agree with what you are saying, there are very few Blofeld portrayals that I actually like.

But they could do him justice this time? :007) Maybe.. Either way i don't see it happening, Austin Powers put the last nail in the coffin really :)) But I'd be open to the idea!
    Now, they only eat rat.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think you could do a modern Blofeld. Lose the Cat and the nehru suits.
    With the series "Sherlock" they did a great job at giving the audience a
    very modern Moriarty. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I think you could do a modern Blofeld. Lose the Cat and the nehru suits.
    With the series "Sherlock" they did a great job at giving the audience a
    very modern Moriarty. -{

Excellent point. Although I think the cat is a must...

Seriously though I just want to see more Javier Bardem in Bond, terrific performance!
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,613MI6 Agent
    edited March 2013
    No, he wasn't a wasted opportunity at all. What he was was one of the best villains we've had in a Bond film this side of 1997. End of the Skyfall slagging - I've had enough of it. :#
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    No, her wasn't a wasted opportunity at all. What he was was one of the best villains we've had in a Bond film this side of 1997. End of the Skyfall slagging - I've had enough of it. :#

nobody is slagging Skyfall, and I did say at the beginning that Silva was a great villain and the point was that Silva was just an alias so I thought it would be an interesting idea if the man behind Silva was actually an updated Blofeld, plus that way we get to see more of Javier Bardem in the Bond universe.
    scottmu65 wrote:
    No, her wasn't a wasted opportunity at all. What he was was one of the best villains we've had in a Bond film this side of 1997. End of the Skyfall slagging - I've had enough of it. :#

nobody is slagging Skyfall, and I did say at the beginning that Silva was a great villain and the point was that Silva was just an alias so I thought it would be an interesting idea if the man behind Silva was actually an updated Blofeld, plus that way we get to see more of Javier Bardem in the Bond universe.

Yes, but Silva's dead, as is Blofeld. Why not just create new characters and make it more interesting. That's my point. 8-)
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    I'm afraid my opinion on this matter is rather fixed: Blofeld is dead. Get over it! It would be great to have a new organisation like SPECTRE, or a new recurring villain like Blofeld, but the important thing is it should be new!
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
    I'm afraid my opinion on this matter is rather fixed: Blofeld is dead. Get over it! It would be great to have a new organisation like SPECTRE, or a new recurring villain like Blofeld, but the important thing is it should be new!

Exactly, Jedi. Well said. i'm in total agreement - Blofeld is a mere pipe dream that should have been done much better than he was in the original classic Bond films.
  • 007yler007yler Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    Wow, very interesting topic!

It seems one of the largest challenges for the producers/writers at this point, is, because there is becoming less and less a sense of chronology and order of events, how do you keep the series "going", but without adding anything to the plot that could complicate or limit the plots of future movies.

The series seems to be heading to the era of the Sean Connery movies, (Mallory's office is based on Bernard Lee's, and we don't have a sense of how old/experienced Bond is in the glory of the Sean Connery era.

If Silva was to be a prelude to Blofeld, that's saying that the events in Skyfall took place before the Sean Connery movies.

Unlike most people, I didn't care so much for Silva. I think other villians from past movies are more of a wasted opportunity. Alec Trevelyn for example - one of my favourite characters in the series, could have appeared in Skyfall, or other films (assuming that the events occur before Goldeneye), as an ally to Bond on another mission (something comparable to the botched chase scene in Madagascar in CR, rather than "carter").

Overall, I just think Silva is "memorable" or "iconic" enough to keep alive/as a prelude to a villain in the future.
    "Did you ever ask why? Why we topple all those dictators, undermine all those regimes, only to come home, well done, good job, but sorry old boy, everything you've risked your life for has changed"...
    "...It was the job we were chosen for"...
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Using Blofeld and/or SPECTRE would invite another round of litigation, this time from McClory's Estate.

Better to let sleeping dogs lie.
    I think Eon after many court cases now own the rights to Blofelf and SPECTRE.
    I only hope they would stick with Quantum.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Sony sold (or rather swapped) its James Bond rights to MGM, but McClory always insisted that he didn't assign all of his rights to Sony.
  • GoldenEye85GoldenEye85 Posts: 278MI6 Agent
    I was kind of hoping that Quantum was being touted as this new rebooted series' SPECTRE and I would like to see them return to it but for me, it won't be a total disappointment if they don't.

As for the topic, I really think Silva was a great addition to the villain list of James Bond. Maybe not as memorable as some of the others but still up there with them.
    1, GE 2, CR 3, SF 4, TWINE 5, Spectre 6, TMWTGG 7, DAD 8, LALD 9, AVTAK 10, LTK 11, Octopussy 12, Moonraker 13, TLD 14, GF 15, QOS 16, Tomorrow 17, FYEO 18. TSWLM Not seen much: Dr. No, Russia, Thunderball, Twice, Majesty.

1: Brosnan 2: Craig 3: Moore 4: Dalton 5: Connery and 6: Lazenby
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    The problem I had with Silva was that he basically was a redux of Heath Ledger's Joker, though with even less to do. A lot of what Silva does is deliver lines while standing around (or clutching a ladder or sitting in a jail cell.) I don't think the villain was all that interesting so much as Javier Bardem played him with more zeal than he might otherwise have received.
  • mdmleemdmlee Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I've only just watched Skyfall. And I feel sorry for Silva, really.

Remember M said orphans make the best agents? Silva was probably an orphan too, wasn't he? And he really did see M as his 'mother'. Which I think, is why he wanted her to say his name - a sign of ownership or adoption. It must have broke his heart, when she refused. And that she has already written him off as dead (name engraved on the memorial wall).

In the end, he wanted to die along with her too.

Sigh... Sad sad sad...
  • Robbo88Robbo88 Newcastle, England.Posts: 253MI6 Agent
    edited November 2015
    mdmlee wrote:
    I've only just watched Skyfall. And I feel sorry for Silva, really.

Remember M said orphans make the best agents? Silva was probably an orphan too, wasn't he? And he really did see M as his 'mother'. Which I think, is why he wanted her to say his name - a sign of ownership or adoption. It must have broke his heart, when she refused. And that she has already written him off as dead (name engraved on the memorial wall).

In the end, he wanted to die along with her too.

Sigh... Sad sad sad...

Yeah but upon being captured by the enemy in that line of work, your government will deny your existence. The operatives know this when they join. Bond does it in DAD. He was tortured in many ways and still never gave up anything.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    "Greatness From Small Beginnings."
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Scottmu65 is quite a visionary. After having seen Spectre, I thought Silva's character would have made a better Blofeld.

Silva is intimidating, terrifying and uses the extent of his power to make people suffer and get what he wants.

And Silva actually had a more convincing reason to hate MI6 and become a terrorist. His life was actually ruined by M.
    Spectre is only setting the character up, who knows what dark places he'll
    Go to as he developes ? ;)