851

Re: Bond Book of the Month

I don't think I've read a really bad review of it. Most seem to
Like it.  ajb007/smile

“I remember the last thing my Nan said to me before she died.
‘What are you doing here with that hammer?’”..... Lee Mack.

852

Re: Bond Book of the Month

I think Horowitz has done his homework very well, and certainly better than Deaver etc. TM was very impressive, though a little formula-bound in places (the dinner scene with 007, Sin and Jeopardy was VERY reminiscent of DN's scene with Bond, No and Honey for example) and I'd gladly read more of his work. For what it's worth, I enjoyed "The House Of Silk" as well.

853

Re: Bond Book of the Month

I've just started reading it again.  ajb007/martini

“I remember the last thing my Nan said to me before she died.
‘What are you doing here with that hammer?’”..... Lee Mack.

854

Re: Bond Book of the Month

I'm stuck in a Dennis Wheatley right now ("Black August", the first of the Gregory Sallust stories which may or may not have inspired Fleming) and then I'm going to read "Shoot To Kill", the latest Young Bond book).

855

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Have the Dennis Wheatley novels dated much, for a contemporary reader ?

“I remember the last thing my Nan said to me before she died.
‘What are you doing here with that hammer?’”..... Lee Mack.

856

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Oh, definitely! Very much a product of their times. Totally racist, completely class-oriented, and politically embarrassing. He's a good story-teller, though- and yes, the roots of Fleming's Bond stories can be seen.

857

Re: Bond Book of the Month

I tried  Dracula, but it was so slow and old fashioned to read, that I gave up.
I could joke that it sucked ........ But I won't.

“I remember the last thing my Nan said to me before she died.
‘What are you doing here with that hammer?’”..... Lee Mack.

858

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Could be worse- you might have tried Frankenstein!

859

Re: Bond Book of the Month

I've read them both.  Admittedly that was over half my lifetime ago...

860

Re: Bond Book of the Month

When I was younger and well into my 20s, I read nothing but Horror books.
From the greats like S King and Dean Koontz, Clive Barker and James Herbert.
To the pulp stuff from Guy N Smith about big crabs taking over Britain etc.
Now though I don't read much at all, as I have too much to do, so it's easier
To play a DVD when I'm working .  Although I have read a few James Herbert
Books " The rats trilogy " as they were only 99p each on kindle.  ajb007/biggrin

“I remember the last thing my Nan said to me before she died.
‘What are you doing here with that hammer?’”..... Lee Mack.

861

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Barbel wrote:

Oh, definitely! Very much a product of their times. Totally racist, completely class-oriented, and politically embarrassing. He's a good story-teller, though- and yes, the roots of Fleming's Bond stories can be seen.

This is a great read by Jeremy Duns on just that subject matter, Barbel:

http://www.spywise.net/pdf/March_10/whe … sified.pdf

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

862

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Funnily enough my Mum was a big fan of Dennis Wheatley. I remember as a kid
Being amazed but scared at some of the paperback covers. Although for years I
thought it was my Dad who was the fan, only found out years later that it was she
who loved a bit of the old Satan stories.  ajb007/lol

“I remember the last thing my Nan said to me before she died.
‘What are you doing here with that hammer?’”..... Lee Mack.

863

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Thunderpussy wrote:

Funnily enough my Mum was a big fan of Dennis Wheatley. I remember as a kid
Being amazed but scared at some of the paperback covers. Although for years I
thought it was my Dad who was the fan, only found out years later that it was she
who loved a bit of the old Satan stories.  ajb007/lol

I collect them myself when I see them! Love the old Wheatley paperbacks. My Dad had one in his bookcase too.  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

864

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Silhouette Man wrote:
Barbel wrote:

Oh, definitely! Very much a product of their times. Totally racist, completely class-oriented, and politically embarrassing. He's a good story-teller, though- and yes, the roots of Fleming's Bond stories can be seen.

This is a great read by Jeremy Duns on just that subject matter, Barbel:

http://www.spywise.net/pdf/March_10/whe … sified.pdf

Very interesting article. Yes, Come Into My Parlour has many similarities to FRWL and Gregory Sallust is a proto-Bond.

865

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Barbel wrote:
Silhouette Man wrote:
Barbel wrote:

Oh, definitely! Very much a product of their times. Totally racist, completely class-oriented, and politically embarrassing. He's a good story-teller, though- and yes, the roots of Fleming's Bond stories can be seen.

This is a great read by Jeremy Duns on just that subject matter, Barbel:

http://www.spywise.net/pdf/March_10/whe … sified.pdf

Very interesting article. Yes, Come Into My Parlour has many similarities to FRWL and Gregory Sallust is a proto-Bond.

Glad you enjoyed it. It's an excellent piece!  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

866

Re: Bond Book of the Month

I used to really like Dennis

Thunderpussy wrote:

Funnily enough my Mum was a big fan of Dennis Wheatley. I remember as a kid
Being amazed but scared at some of the paperback covers. Although for years I
thought it was my Dad who was the fan, only found out years later that it was she
who loved a bit of the old Satan stories.  ajb007/lol

I used to enjoy the Dennis Wheatley books.  However, they can be a bit of a mixed bag.  I found it tough going through To the Devil a Daughter and couldn't even get past the first couple of chapters of The Ka of Gifford Hillary.  However, I really enjoyed The Satanist, in fact it was the Wheatley that had me looking over my shoulder the most.

Actually, I have a whole box full of Wheatleys - perhaps I'll re-read them again...?

867

Re: Bond Book of the Month

The only one of his black magic books I read was The Devil Rides Out, and that was pretty good but didn't make me want to read the others. The Sallust stories are the ones I like from his work.

868

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Barbel wrote:

The only one of his black magic books I read was The Devil Rides Out, and that was pretty good but didn't make me want to read the others. The Sallust stories are the ones I like from his work.

I loved that book when I read it...then I saw the film  ajb007/crap

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

869

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Sir Miles wrote:
Barbel wrote:

The only one of his black magic books I read was The Devil Rides Out, and that was pretty good but didn't make me want to read the others. The Sallust stories are the ones I like from his work.

I loved that book when I read it...then I saw the film  ajb007/crap

You didn't like it? I thought it was good.  ajb007/smile

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

870

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Silhouette Man wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:
Barbel wrote:

The only one of his black magic books I read was The Devil Rides Out, and that was pretty good but didn't make me want to read the others. The Sallust stories are the ones I like from his work.

I loved that book when I read it...then I saw the film  ajb007/crap

You didn't like it? I thought it was good.  ajb007/smile

It's not that I didn't like it...it was just a total let down after the book...

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

871

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Sir Miles wrote:
Silhouette Man wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:

I loved that book when I read it...then I saw the film  ajb007/crap

You didn't like it? I thought it was good.  ajb007/smile

It's not that I didn't like it...it was just a total let down after the book...

I see. Sadly I've not read the book although I have a copy. I really need to, though.

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

872

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Working my way though TM again, a bit slower this time.  ajb007/wink  ( In case I missed something)
Even on the second reading it's still very good.  ajb007/biggrin

“I remember the last thing my Nan said to me before she died.
‘What are you doing here with that hammer?’”..... Lee Mack.

873

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Hi all,  TP has done a brilliant job of reviewing all the Bond novels, and it would be impossible to improve on that. However I enjoyed this thread so much I thought I'd follow it up with some reviews of books about Bond, starting pretty much chronologically.

First up I'll be reviewing JAMES BOND: A REPORT by O.F. SNELLING. If you have a copy ( they come up on eBay periodically) or not, please join the discussion!  ajb007/martini

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

874

Re: Bond Book of the Month

A light and enjoyable read, Snelling's REPORT in many ways resembles Kingsley Amis' JAMES BOND DOSSIER which was to follow soon after, although not in as much detail. Snelling writes well and his appreciation of Fleming's work and the very early Bond films shine through. I've had a copy since the 60s and re-read it several times.

875

Re: Bond Book of the Month

Great idea C&D  ajb007/martini

“I remember the last thing my Nan said to me before she died.
‘What are you doing here with that hammer?’”..... Lee Mack.