Skyfall question

Something I can"t figure out.......

What is Bond's money source when he is "Enjoying death?"
Granted, his living quarters seem very spartan, but he seems to have enough cash to party like a rock star (after the scorpion, he buys a round for the entire bar).
If MI6 thought he was dead, Bond using an ATM after being shot off the top of the train would prove he was alive...
Are we to just assume that just because he's James Bond, he has magical access to cash ?

Comments

• thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Hey, he got hit in the body with a 5.56mm round, fell well over a hundred feet on his back into water, went down a waterfall - apparently unconscious... I'd have a few more questions first! ;)
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    In the make believe spy world of Bond, I'd guess he has a few secret idenities which
    Even MI6 don't know about ( with passport, money etc ). So I'd guess he used one of
    these. Either that or he sold a kidney. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • DrydenDryden UKPosts: 131MI6 Agent
    Go back to CR when he and Vesper were going to disappear together - here he stated that he had plenty of money.

Given his job it wouldn't be too far fetched for this money to be distributed to various locations which he might be able to access without his cash card.
    Bloody hell, even Bond is trying to avoid paying tax. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Didn't look like he was living it up to me. He was making money competing in daft scorpion drinking games and living in a shoddy hut drinking cheap beer.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    As long it was not Stella that Bond was drinking, then we can assume he spent Money to hide his whereabouts :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    good points, but who says HIS living quarters are his ? probably that young ladies?
    and im sure Bond has a mate in that neck of the woods who he can call on (I do) and the Turkish people are very generous hospitapal people , :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    good points, but who says HIS living quarters are his ? probably that young ladies?
    and im sure Bond has a mate in that neck of the woods who he can call on (I do) and the Turkish people are very generous hospitapal people , :)

He was living there as his tablets and other personal stuff were there too, so pleasuring young fillies in exchange for accommodation and other material goods may be another answer to where he got his money.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Its going back a few years but i stayed in bamboo panel, straw roofed huts in Indonesia for just a couple of pounds a night with toast, a banana and tea thrown in for breakfast! Most countries have a back backer tourist route that is really cheap and basic. I imagine turkey and the Ageian countries have similar.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

• CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    edited March 2014
    A possible scenario involving Bond's recovery could have been like this:

1. He is found by locals in the river and rescued. A local doctor treats him
    and takes care of him after he sees Bond's ID and Bond makes up an
    explanation of why he was shot. Bond tells the doctor if he informs
    any authorities his assailant(s) may return and kill him.

2. The doctor lets him recover at his home until he is somewhat healed.
    Then he takes him to a friend who owns a bar at a seaside beach
    frequented mostly by just village locals. The owner takes Bond to a
    bank where he has money wired from a Swiss account he maintains
    that he would have to use in an emergency. There is enough for him
    to live on for several months. He pays the doctor for his treatment
    and to get pain meds. He gets some clothes and sundries he'd need
    to sustain him for a while.

3. Bond gives the bar owner money for a nearby beach rental that
    the bar owner either also owns or a family member owns. He settles
    there to recover further.

So there are many ways writer's can come up with to explain these situations but since they take up too much screen time and actually interrupt the flow (and speed) of the film, they either leave this to
    the audience to fill in the blanks or actually end up filming them then
    decide to cut them out later. There are many scenes from the series
    that got left out of the finished film that were cut out of the final script or actual film.

PS - Bond only being able to pick up some clothes in a local village would
    explain why he was in the type of attire he appeared at the beach. Many assume those clothes are what he would normally choose to own while "bumming around" somewhere, but IMO, they are only kind he could find
    in nearby shops and he may have been actually wearing those clothes to blend in with the locals. It is on that basis I would not want to own an "Enjoying Death" shirt, jacket, etc.. Similar to this is the jacket he gets from the man he kills in QOS. It's not his jacket, nor necessarily the type he would buy. Not saying some might like it and want to own one anyway, just that for me, the idea he's wearing it is not a compelling reason to own one.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Some great explanations there, CmdrAtticus - I almost wish they had filmed them...
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    -{ agreed, it would make a great short story, a small village helping Bond
    only to be attacked by a local Bandit. Who Bond fights against and helps
    the locals win. A sort of " Magnificent 007 " ;) :))
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    I know this scenario has been done before in certain ways, but yes, it might make an interesting subplot.
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Isn't there usually a priest involved?

"Okay, get the suit dry cleaned and you can sell it for £4,000. It's a Tom Ford. These cufflinks are also Tom Ford. You'll get £1500 for the pair. £500 for the shirt, £200 for the tie. Both Tom Ford too. You might find a pair of sunglasses in the pocket. They'll sell for £200 as they're Ford as well. Shoes by Crockett and Jones, again about £200 second hand. And my watch is an Omega. Should bring £3000-£4000. If you tell folk they were owned by James Bond you'll get a premium.

In return I want a place to live in on the beach. Nothing too flash, though. Loads of pills. Bottles of Heineken. Vast quantities. And get me some clothes. Again, nothing flash. Anything from the lower end of the British high street. But I need a really good jacket. Spend, say £600, on that. Get me something vintage."

:)) -{
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    all good points from every body, the shirt/chinos I can dig, the leather jacket probably purchased in the market in Fetiye,
    its a haven for any thing fake, but if I was going back there the last thing id pack is my leather jacket its to hot there,
    and as for the Heinekens ,its all Efes beer out there its so heavily advertised in the bars ,beach umbrellas ect just a thought ?
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Bond came-to on the banks of the river, every bone and muscle aching from the gun shot, the fall and the assault of the churning river. Vaguely remembering the sequence of events that had brought him to this spot, he reached for his chest and found his wound gaping but the blood flow largely stopped likely due to the coldness of the water. He had no idea where he was or how long he'd been there, but dragging himself to his feet he headed for a dirt track that wound its way up the steep hills that lined the valley. His left wrist was sore and stiff likely from the fall so he bound it with his necktie as he walked.

The distant hum of a vehicle caused Bond to head into the bushes that lined the track. He watched the battered truck approach and, once satisfied that its driver was alone and not a threat, flagged him down. The man spoke no English, Bond no Turkish, but he smiled and gestured for Bond to climb inside. At the nearest town Bond got out and handed the driver his cuff links by way of payment, the farmer smiled to reveal a gold tooth and raised the cufflinks towards his mouth and an opening between teeth.

In the town's café, Bond mimed using the phone. He dialled an Antalya name that he had memorised along with dozens of other numbers throughout the world. An English voice answered. It was Barkhorn, formerly 004, now retired after a bitter falling-out with M and living the Mediterranean life with his third wife, a nubile young Indian. The conversation was brief but Barkhorn immediately wired money to the town and said he'd have someone collect him the following day.

In Antalya, Barkhorn used his local blackmarket contacts to organise new papers to replace those Bond had lost in the river. He also set him up with a local doctor who was more than happy to do anything under the table...for enough cash. He patched up Bond, no questions asked and folded the money into his pocket. The former agent told Bond that his neighbour had a rustic beach house an hour away that he used when he wanted to get away from the world. The neighbour was in Australia visiting his son for 6 months, but Barkhorn had the key and gave it to Bond, asking him to post it back to him before he left and asking that he leave the shack as he'd found it.

The town was small. The tiny fishing industry that had been its backbone had all but disappeared and been replaced by a few holiday homes and a beach-front bar frequented by the odd backpacker who had drifted well off the beaten path, drug smugglers keeping their heads down before moving on to Germany and others of various nationalities who have simply dropped off the map. Nobody asked questions: they just drank hard, played hard and were rarely seen during daylight hours. Bond fit in perfectly.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Didn't look like he was living it up to me. He was making money competing in daft scorpion drinking games and living in a shoddy hut drinking cheap beer.

Sounds like my dream retirement.
    Heineken is one of the finest beers on the planet !
    Bond wouldn't sell any old sh1te, would he ?
    Eve fired the M4 short barrelled carbine. One shot. No time for more, not without chancing hitting Bond. The 5.56mm bullet was already slowing as it left the barrel at 2500ft/sec. Spinning one inch in every seven, corkscrewing through the air on its way to its target. It hit flesh slowing instantly, half mushrooming, half fragmenting. The bullet sliced its way through Bond's flesh, the sonic wave following, distorting the muscle, prising it from sinew and bone. The heated fragments of lead and copper seared through blood vessels, dispersing shrapnel far and wide. The other half of the bullet dropped low narrowly avoiding the liver, kidneys, pancreas hit the wall of muscle at Bond's back and tore through leaving a cricket ball sized hole near his spine....

It's not looking good for him so far.... ;)

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    If the Ian Fleming Estate were smart, they'd hired AJBers to write the next continuation novel. We'd do a job at least equal to William Boyd and a hell of a lot better than Jeffrey Deaver!
    Some of the fan fiction, is fun. Some Great imaginations. -{
    Where as some of the official "Continuing " novels have been "So Low" :))
    Some of the fan fiction, is fun. Some Great imaginations. -{
    Where as some of the official "Continuing " novels have been "So Low" :))

Late Gardner ? :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Amongst others ! :))
    I currently only have the first four Gardner Books, but preparing myself for No Deals Mr Bond :))
    Oh, I know we all have our opinions, but wait till the last couple of Benson novels. :#
    Gardner suddenly doesn't look so bad. :)) ( just my opinion )
    Been re-reading through the Flemming Novels again. They always will be unbeatable :)
    Fleming had a skill of building up an atmosphere, that draws you in
    so that you believe in the entire story, even the more fanciful parts. -{
    Which so far no other writer has managed. :) :)
    Yes old Chap :007)
    I'm re-reading Thunderball at the moment, and I'd forgotten just
    How good it is. :007)
    Not to hijack the thread but after watching some of the extras on the bluray. I was
    wondering why they did the tube crash " for real " and not use models, as for most
    casual viewers I'd asume they would think this scene was a model or cgi.