Bond's Childhood

CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
After seeing Skyfall again this week, I've come to consider the idea that - according to the history of Bond's childhood as it is written in the film, Kincaid was introduced as a surrogate father.

Based on Fleming's bio of Bond, his father was a rep for an armourments firm.
It could be said that this would mean he was abroad for a lot of the time leaving him only with his mother and Kincaid (and probably one or two housekeepers and even a nanny). I think Fleming imagined him brought up as he was (minus any siblings).

This would mean Kincaid may have been the main male influence most of the time at Skyfall. He would have helped Bond learn to shoot and hunt as well as how to survive out on the moor - something that would have bolstered Bond's independence and helped to mature him early as well as given him skills that would help him as an adult agent.

With his parents death, Bond would have turned to Kincaid for the emotional support he needed and Kincaid would have helped him get past this trauma and encouraged him to leave Skyfall. Having his aunt step gave him a new surrogate mother to help him through his young adult years and school.

Creating Kincaid was, I believe, a logical choice for the film and for helping to understand how the young Bond became the adult 007. Now I wonder if they would ever resurrect his aunt for a light scene in a future film. It's an interesting idea. Who would play her? Someone like Maggie Smith?

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I've said this before, but I would like to see a TV Mini Series about Bonds early Life. Sort of like the Hannibal Series.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,672MI6 Agent
    I think the discription of Bond's childhood was good and it makes sense the way CmdrAtticus wrote it. But I don't want to see his aunt in the movies and I don't want to see a TV series about his childhood. I think they have spent enough time on Bond's background and personal life for a long time. Now I want the movies to focus on the missions and most of his background should remain a mystery. I think the books are a different matter. I like the Young Bond books and I would like to see a new series of books describing his WWII history.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    One of my disappointments with SKyfall was how glossed over Bond's past was. We basically get a little bit of dialogue and the Kincaid character that are somehow supposed to fill in significant details rather than just show us actual scenes. Good story is showing rather than telling.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 35,980Chief of Staff
    Now I wonder if they would ever resurrect his aunt for a light scene in a future film. It's an interesting idea. Who would play her? Someone like Maggie Smith?

There's only one other person like Maggie Smith- solid theatre background, respected cinema work, titled, Oscars....

Judi_Dench_008.jpg

But there may be a problem there.... :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'm willing to do drag. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 35,980Chief of Staff
    That comes as no surprise! 8-)
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,378Chief of Staff
    I'm willing to do drag. :D

Willing or insisting ? :o

:))
    YNWA 97
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    One of my disappointments with SKyfall was how glossed over Bond's past was. We basically get a little bit of dialogue and the Kincaid character that are somehow supposed to fill in significant details rather than just show us actual scenes. Good story is showing rather than telling.

Maybe they will reveal more throughout Craig's tenure. It's a tricky scenario though because if you divulge too much, it will force you to reboot at somepoint once you get wrapped up in continuity. I like hearing snippets throughout each film. I prefer Bond's backstory to be described more in the novels.
    Gassy Man wrote:

Maybe they will reveal more throughout Craig's tenure. It's a tricky scenario though because if you divulge too much, it will force you to reboot at somepoint once you get wrapped up in continuity. I like hearing snippets throughout each film. I prefer Bond's backstory to be described more in the novels.
    I doubt they will do much more than the modern thing of paying lip service and mostly through the dialogue.

As I've posted before, an easy solution would have been to let the animation during the credits show us some of the details about the Bond family. Then a flashback or two in the movie might have been all it took -- I would actually prefer the movie to have opened with the scene of Bond finding out about his parents and hiding in the tunnel instead of having Kincaid tell us that. It would only have taken a few minutes of screen time. They could easily have cut from a boy Bond hiding in the darkness to the adult Bond in bed with the woman. But a John Logan script is always clunky, and I've never thought Mendes was that great a director.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,672MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:

Bad idea. Bond is not the kind of films where you show long flashbacks of the lead's childhood. Flashbacks has only been used once (in OHMSS) and only to visualize what was on Bond's mind. I think the little insights we got from dialogue was quite enough, not only because his childhood wasn't central to the plot but mainly because Bond's background should be a bit of a mystery.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Too much more focus on Bond's childhood, and any flashbacks, would just be too close to the depiction of Bruce Wayne's childhood in Batman Begins and subsequent Batmovies.

We don't need to explain Bond's behaviour as being the result of a traumatised childhood - he's not some driven, borderline psychologically- challenged individual like Batman. IMO Bond's parents' death made him become tough and independent - his service experience and unique inherent characteristics made him who he is (a double-O) ... And maybe a little intervention by Kincaid. :)
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Too much more focus on Bond's childhood, and any flashbacks, would just be too close to the depiction of Bruce Wayne's childhood in Batman Begins and subsequent Batmovies.

We don't need to explain Bond's behaviour as being the result of a traumatised childhood - he's not some driven, borderline psychologically- challenged individual like Batman. IMO Bond's parents' death made him become tough and independent - his service experience and unique inherent characteristics made him who he is (a double-O) ... And maybe a little intervention by Kincaid. :)

Yes, I agree. I think we've been given enough on Bond's background.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Baby Bond ..... " I hope that breast is shaken not stirred " :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Bonds Past should be shrouded in some Mystery -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Didn't Bond go to Eton as a boy .id hate to see a flash back of him at Eton being buggered :#
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    :)) I think Bond would be a giver, not a receiver. :p
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    :)) I think Bond would be a giver, not a receiver. :p

you don't know Eton (don't even ask about white biscuit) :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    :D I had to Google that, :))
  • James007SweeneyJames007Sweeney Posts: 54MI6 Agent
    Bond is a shadow figure the mystery is what intreguises the audience why does he behave the way he does, cold, commited & calculated. I think Skyfall gave us enough insight. His parents death. Watching the place burn gave him closure. I don't think they should explore his make up further. Lets just see him doing rediculous stuff saving the world from a maniac with a big plan for world domination in Bond 24.
    You only live twice: Once when you are born. And once when you look death in the face.
    +1 {[] , I too think it's time for a little lighter story ( no big emotional turmoil for Bond )
    M and Moneypenny setting up the target, Q giving a few toys, then Off Bond goes
    For some major "Badass" Spy adventure stuff. :))
  • InternationalExportsInternationalExports Posts: 269MI6 Agent
    +1 {[] , I too think it's time for a little lighter story ( no big emotional turmoil for Bond )
    M and Moneypenny setting up the target, Q giving a few toys, then Off Bond goes
    For some major "Badass" Spy adventure stuff. :))

I want to see DC drive or fly something rediclous like an apache helicopter or a concorde from a museam lol.
    Could be fun, I always loved the helicopter shots in Die Hard 4. Seeing it
    Flying between the buildings very low to the ground.
    Bring back the Jetpack :)) -{
    On Top Gear they showed a new Quad bike which
    changed into a speedboat. When Clarkson drove it
    on the water he even asked " play the Bond !" :))
    Was this a recent Episode?
    Might have been about six months ago but the
    quad in on you tube, and it can shift on the water. -{
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    They won't go into Bond's background in the next film. His aunt and Kincaid maybe mentioned in future films in some reference, but I don't see EON ever going back into his past again the way they did in SF. I think that was one of the whole points of the climax. By destroying the old Aston and his childhood home and Dench, as well as losing his flat and having HQ being relocated (even if temporarily), they wiped his past clean so he could move beyond it into new adventures.
    I hope you're right CmdrAtticus. -{
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    They won't go into Bond's background in the next film. His aunt and Kincaid maybe mentioned in future films in some reference, but I don't see EON ever going back into his past again the way they did in SF. I think that was one of the whole points of the climax. By destroying the old Aston and his childhood home and Dench, as well as losing his flat and having HQ being relocated (even if temporarily), they wiped his past clean so he could move beyond it into new adventures.

I don't think you'll see flashbacks of little Jimmy Bond learning to ride a bike, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the deaths of Bond's parents play a role in the last two Craig films.
    Number24 wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:

Bad idea. Bond is not the kind of films where you show long flashbacks of the lead's childhood. Flashbacks has only been used once (in OHMSS) and only to visualize what was on Bond's mind. I think the little insights we got from dialogue was quite enough, not only because his childhood wasn't central to the plot but mainly because Bond's background should be a bit of a mystery.
    Doesn't have to be long. Batman Begins, which the Bond reboots take a lot from, managed to do it in a few key scenes, and Bond wouldn't have needed half that amount of time. Just doing lip service to something that is supposed to be vital to the story is cheap storytelling, common as it is in the modern era.