What is the correct Walther PPK??

What is the correct Walther PPK as used in OHMSS?
I see a few variants in some arms dealers, and I want to purchase the absolutley correct one.
Thank you!
Tom
GG

Comments

• ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    edited April 2014
    What is the correct Walther PPK as used in OHMSS?
    I see a few variants in some arms dealers, and I want to purchase the absolutley correct one.
    Thank you!
    Tom
    GG

1961 9mm Kurz (9mm short)/.380 ACP. A 7.65mm pistol was never utilised by Bond in the early days ;)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Kurz without a 't' 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Gebruder GumboldGebruder Gumbold San FranciscoPosts: 541MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the info.
    What colour are the grips? Cant tell from the photo. I have hears both brown and black.
    Not a gun guy per se, but is there a difference between a .380 and 7.65?
    If I ask a gun dealer for a 7.65, they sometimes offer a .38, saying, it is the same.
    Is it??
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    The .380 is an entirely different calibre to a 7.65 so it's nuts that a gun dealer would offer them as being the same. The slide and barrel are also marked to differentiate the two. It's like asking for a pint of Guinness and then only getting half. Very different.

The grip was brown...

Ohmss-wppk5.jpg
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    There is more than just looks involved in buying a handgun. Do lots of research first, know exactly what you are looking for or you will get taken for sure, or at the very least you won't get what you are looking for.

ASP9MM, always liked that "shot" old George wasn't going to get any advantage on Telly with an empty "on safe" pistol!
    7289 wrote:
    ASP9MM, always liked that "shot" old George wasn't going to get any advantage on Telly with an empty "on safe" pistol!

Classic movie nonsense. No round in chamber and safety on 8-) Nearly as bad as the dreadful way Brozza held his P99 :(
    Ok, so even though Boothroyd states "7.65 with a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window..." The film Bonds from Dr No-MWYGG used a 9mm or .380?

Confused!
    So, If I ask for a PPK 7.65 w brown grips, would I be correct in having a "James Bond" gun?
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    I understand that the is a huge culture difference between us in the UK and our fabulous cousins across the pond when it comes to firearms. Why oh why would anyone want to own a real PPK? It's just beyond me.

As a huge 007 fan just like the rest of us on here, I have loads of memorabilia, the phones, watch, other gadgets and clothes, all of which serve a purpose and are great to have. However, a pistol...a real pistol only exists to cause injury or harm to another human being and I cannot imagine why I would ever want to add one to my collection.
    Yes, I understand your point.
    Perhaps I suffer from an "inferiority complex...."
    I would like to own the gun purely as a collectible heirloom, and fire it at a range once or twice a year.
    I already have self defense firearms, which I have never, and hope to never ever have to use!

Interesting note: our California laws now make it actually easier to carry a concealed weapon.
    Not sure if it is a good idea...however,...IF I ever get invited to fancy dress, it would be nice not to get arrested if I wore my prop (non firing) PPK with a shoulder holster and Trilby hat.

I can attest to the "why on earth would anyone want to own one of these" applied to the Aston Martin.
    Since owning the 1969 DBS, and driving several DB5s, I can safely say that most people romanticize owning something, and when they actually buy one, or see and experience the real thing, they are disappointed. So much so, that even "M" in Skyfall points out that the ride in a DB5 is terrible.
    The DBS was much more comfy, btw...
    Still leaks oil, still smells of petrol, still is noisy, gearbox is heavy....and I wouldn't have it any other way!
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I would own the PPK purely as a Collectable
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    edited April 2014
    Ok, so even though Boothroyd states "7.65 with a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window..." The film Bonds from Dr No-MWYGG used a 9mm or .380?

Confused!
    So, If I ask for a PPK 7.65 w brown grips, would I be correct in having a "James Bond" gun?

I have pm'd you on this. George did not use a 7.65mm but it did have brown grips.

Confused!

They used a 7.65mm too in the early films, but the .380 hero gun was used quite a bit from OHMSS to TMWTGG (you'll have to ask Donk for specifics). Remember in Dr No he never had a PPK, but a PP.

If you want a generic 60's Bond PPK, then buy a 7.65mm with brown grips. There are a few differences in the PPK made over the years like slide stamps, sights and ridge profile on the slide and trigger too. But outside of Donk and myself, I doubt anyone would care about those differences.

Strangeways, there are many reasons why some of us like to own PPK's. None of them have anything to do with killing other people. Like cars, samurai swords and fighter jets, we can appreciate the history, engineering and craftsmanship that has gone into making them over the years. Target sports and competition are great fun too and the PPK is one of those pistols that are a pleasure to shoot. And then you have the enormous Bond connection. Bond and the PPK are connected in a way that not even the DB5 can eclipse.
    The main problem with trying to purchase a PPK will be finding a good one. They are especially popular here in the US and on the left coast very hard to come across. It's a sellers market!
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    And Importing them here into the UK will be a Mission.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    And Importing them here into the UK will be a Mission.

Mission:Impossible I'd say :))
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I wonder what customs etc would say If I tried to import them
    Into my part of the UK. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent

Not much.

The anti terrorism squad might want a little chat however.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    I understand that the is a huge culture difference between us in the UK and our fabulous cousins across the pond when it comes to firearms. Why oh why would anyone want to own a real PPK? It's just beyond me.

As a huge 007 fan just like the rest of us on here, I have loads of memorabilia, the phones, watch, other gadgets and clothes, all of which serve a purpose and are great to have. However, a pistol...a real pistol only exists to cause injury or harm to another human being and I cannot imagine why I would ever want to add one to my collection.

For target shooting, a legitimate and very enjoyable sport sadly virtually impossible for those on mainland UK. I prefer classic (PPK, 1911) to modern (Tupperware, sorry Glock :D ) due to the feel and balance .Guns are not dangerous, the only dangerous bit is the nut on the trigger.

Plenty available in the UK ,live and vandalised if you have the correct reasons.

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Other-Military-Guns-for-sale?sstr=walther%20PPK
  • bondfanbondfan Posts: 70MI6 Agent
    "However, a pistol...a real pistol only exists to cause injury or harm to another human being and I cannot imagine why I would ever want to add one to my collection."

And this is why I don't post comments in regard to firearms on this Board. Depresses me.
    bondfan wrote:
    "However, a pistol...a real pistol only exists to cause injury or harm to another human being and I cannot imagine why I would ever want to add one to my collection."

And this is why I don't post comments in regard to firearms on this Board. Depresses me.

You just did.

And for goodnessakes don't watch a Bond film. He uses one and kills lot's of folks. It's not good :o
    Inevitably on threads such as these a "troll" appears out of the clear blue for a single post. The troll is not posting to ask a question, or offer information, but merely to voice his/her disapproval of firearms. Responders often do their best to justify a legitimate wholesome interest in firearms to someone who is not capable or interested in appreciating them.

It's best to ignore such comments and move on.
    Yes, I see your point.
    Most of us know each other by now, and those whom I have met in the Bond Collecting world simply appreciate the time, engineering, and overall coolness of the items. A pal of mine has a FRWL Grant watch, but would never use it to strangle anyone...except perhaps me!
    Those of you who know me personally would then testify to a "justifiable homicide..."
    (JUST KIDDING)

Lucky to live in the US...for now...want to hurry and buy any firearms while I still can.
    2nd Amendment is under attack at every angle.
    Cheers, Tom
  • fanofbondfanofbond Posts: 35MI6 Agent
    My post was aimed at the pro gun folks. I am a FFL/SOT and teach safe CCW in my state. I am pro second amendment and enjoy Bond films for a variety of reasons including the use of firearms in action sequences. I am certainly not a troll. Thanks.
    edited April 2014
    Here's a photo of a factory fresh 1972 Walther PPK 7.65 that is for sale. Comes w factory brown grips, in addition to these bespoke walnut. Seller is looking for appx $2000
    Looks good to me...what say my bretheren?
    PPK_for_sale.jpg
    At that price he is extracting the urine, my 1960s unissued former German police one cost me £375 last year.
    (And he needs to release the trigger pressure as well, safety off,safety on)
    edited April 2014
    Here's a photo of a factory fresh 1972 Walther PPK 7.65 that is for sale. Comes w factory brown grips, in addition to these bespoke walnut. Seller is looking for appx $2000
    Looks good to me...what say my bretheren?
    PPK_for_sale.jpg

Okay, here goes:

Wrong slide engravings
    Wrong sized safety catch
    Wrong shaped rear sight
    Wrong grips (should be brown bakelite, not wood)
    Wrong calibre
    Wrong tone of blued finish
    Can't quite tell from the photo but the trigger looks incorrect too!

Your original post did state that you wanted the "absolutley correct one"
    The price is just awful, about twice what you should be paying even in the "Golden State".

Any PPK marked Walther made from about 1962 to 1968 should work for what you want. Of course most of them in the USA will be import marked by Interarms. This mark is on the right side of the slide, which should otherwise be blank or depending on when it was made, it may have the serial number stamped below the ejection port.

It will be a long search, to find an "non import" PPK. I would forget all the nonsense about getting a .380, because that's what EON has in it's vault. The correct caliber used by Bond is the .32 or 7.65 mm, I would not buy a .380 just because a prop man grabbed the "wrong" caliber out of a pile of pistols. After all to filmmakers guns are just props and seldom shown in enough detail for it to matter if the pistol is real or resin. All you have to do is look at the picture ASP9MM posted to see that Lazenby is trying to kill Blofeld with an unloaded PPK with the safety on!

So if a "Bond" Walther is what you want, and you can't afford to get the one actually used on the OHMSS set. Then any pistol made to the spec listed above will be as good as it gets. FWIW here's mine ....

P8140311_zpsc746c957.jpg
    edited April 2014
    PPW306R>> Oh Dear! I am so glad that I have such knowledgeable bretheren! Just found out that a collectibles store in my area tha had been on sabbatical has reopened. He's a militaria and gun dealer- I even found a Thunderball RAF helmet, like Connery wore, and the stunt flyer, in the TBall Bell Rocket Belt sequences. He had a Rocket Gun too!
    I'm going to consult him now for the correct PPK, based on all of your helpful info.
    Thank you!!