26

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

Blackleiter wrote:
David Schofield wrote:

As you say ther

delicious wrote:

I don't care for best/worst lists but Im glad were finally getting some realistic criticism.

e is no right or wrong opinion

By "realistic criticism" do you mean an opinion with which you happen to agree? Because that's really all it is.

I don't agree with this statement. There are some points made that go beyond 'an opinion' in this review. For instance, the fact that Q plugs in the laptop of Silva into the Mi6 network is something that is so unbelievably stupid for our "I invented it" super computer geek Q that it seems like something that could/should never happen. It might not have bothered you and that is okay. It is just that if we are supposed to believe that Q "can do more damage from his laptop before his first cuppa" than it is quite strange that he makes a mistake like that. And I would consider this fair criticism.

1. OHMSS   2. FRWL   3. OP   4. YOLT   5. TSWLM   6. TLD   7. GE   8. LALD   9. CR   10. LTK   11. DN   12. GF   13. SF   14. FYEO   15. TMWTGG   16. MR   17. TWINE   18. TB   19. AVTAK   20 TND   21. QoS   22 DAF   23. DAD

27

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

Thunderpussy wrote:

Your're only human.  ajb007/lol   ajb007/wink

ajb007/cheers

28

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

BTW In a recent Simpsons episode about video piracy called "Steal This Episode", Carl and Lenny take the piss out of the latest Bond film. They like the new James Bond reboot because Bond is ugly now, he doesn’t use gadgets, he can’t shoot well, and he doesn’t do James Bond-type things. http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/steal-this-episode-106693 Good onya Simpsons for telling it how it is.

29

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

Criticism is not simply subjective. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and people have different likes and dislikes but film like literature and other art forms is governed by certain conventions and there are definite dos and donts. Placing an established character like Bond in a film universe which contradicts his character - is a definite dont. If we're going to make Bond into a sad boring loser we may as well make Homer Simpson the model of perfect fatherhood and force Daenerys Targaryen to be unjust and start enslaving people.

30

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

delicious wrote:

BTW In a recent Simpsons episode about video piracy called "Steal This Episode", Carl and Lenny take the piss out of the latest Bond film. They like the new James Bond reboot because Bond is ugly now, he doesn’t use gadgets, he can’t shoot well, and he doesn’t do James Bond-type things. http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/steal-this-episode-106693 Good onya Simpsons for telling it how it is.

Of course, Lenny and Carl are also idiots.

I wouldn't call Craig an ugly man by any stretch, but his nose is what seems to give his face less refinement.  But, then, he's playing a Bond not afraid to get beaten silly to get the job done, so perhaps this is to his advantage.  I do think, however, they should have darkened his features -- at least to brown hair and eyebrows.  In Casino Royale, in particular, he looks best when the light makes his blond hair seem darker.  When he's in bright light, he washes out, and it looks like he doesn't have any eyebrows.  By Skyfall, with most of his hair clipped and with so many bright light scenes, he doesn't just fade out but also looks much older. 

But with the features darkened, he very much has a classic Bond look: 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … poster.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct … 3854614311

Last edited by Gassy Man (3rd May 2014 22:48)

31

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

I don't think Skyfall is overrated at all. Was it flawless? No, not at all! But what movie is? I liked that we finally have SOME back story for Bond. It changes him from continuing to be a one dimensional character like he has been in the rest of the movies.

Someone mentioned Star Wars as overrated. While I respect your opinion, I greatly disagree and cannot wait for the new movies to come out. Fall 2015 is gonna be pretty good for me movie wise. Bond in November and Star Wars Episode VII in December.

My opinion for most overrated and I know people will disagree with me and that is fine, but the Harry Potter series, both books and movies alike. I like magic and wizards and such, but these just didn't do anything for me.

1, GE 2, CR 3, SF 4, TWINE 5, TMWTGG 6, DAD 7, LALD 8, AVTAK 9, LTK 10, Octopussy 11, Moonraker 12, TLD 13, GF 14, QOS 15, Tomorrow 16, FYEO 17. TSWLM Not seen much: Dr. No, Russia, Thunderball, Twice, Majesty.   Not seen: Spectre

1: Brosnan 2: Craig 3: Moore 4: Dalton 5: Connery and 6: Lazenby

32

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

GoldenEye85 wrote:

I don't think Skyfall is overrated at all. Was it flawless? No, not at all! But what movie is? I liked that we finally have SOME back story for Bond. It changes him from continuing to be a one dimensional character like he has been in the rest of the movies.

Someone mentioned Star Wars as overrated. While I respect your opinion, I greatly disagree and cannot wait for the new movies to come out. Fall 2015 is gonna be pretty good for me movie wise. Bond in November and Star Wars Episode VII in December.

My opinion for most overrated and I know people will disagree with me and that is fine, but the Harry Potter series, both books and movies alike. I like magic and wizards and such, but these just didn't do anything for me.

I was around 10 when the first Star Wars came out, and we all lined up around the block to see it over and over.  Twenty years later, a friend from grad school begged me to go see it again when it was re-released.  "It's part of our childhood!" he insisted.  So, I went to see it, and when we came out of the theater, he was acting like kids did the first time around, pretending the movie was still going on and zapping imaginary stormtroppers with an imaginary gun.  When he asked me why I was so unmoved, I told him I didn't remember being so simplistic.  I thought there was more to the story, or least more of a plot.   it was just a B movie with a big budget.

33

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

Gassy Man wrote:
delicious wrote:

BTW In a recent Simpsons episode about video piracy called "Steal This Episode", Carl and Lenny take the piss out of the latest Bond film. They like the new James Bond reboot because Bond is ugly now, he doesn’t use gadgets, he can’t shoot well, and he doesn’t do James Bond-type things. http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/steal-this-episode-106693 Good onya Simpsons for telling it how it is.

Of course, Lenny and Carl are also idiots.

I wouldn't call Craig an ugly man by any stretch, but his nose is what seems to give his face less refinement.  But, then, he's playing a Bond not afraid to get beaten silly to get the job done, so perhaps this is to his advantage.  I do think, however, they should have darkened his features -- at least to brown hair and eyebrows.  In Casino Royale, in particular, he looks best when the light makes his blond hair seem darker.  When he's in bright light, he washes out, and it looks like he doesn't have any eyebrows.  By Skyfall, with most of his hair clipped and with so many bright light scenes, he doesn't just fade out but also looks much older. 

But with the features darkened, he very much has a classic Bond look: 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … poster.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct … 3854614311

Yes they are idiots which is why they like the latest james Bond film for those reasons. It's called irony.

34

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

Regardless of one's personal views of how good looking, or otherwise, Craig might be,  I do feel that there is a large group of Bond fans who support Craig because they are more more comfortable with his "ordinariness" compared with his predecessors, and support his Bond from that kick off point. They then contrive a view of Fleming's Bond to fit accordingly.

35

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

David Schofield wrote:

Regardless of one's personal views of how good looking, or otherwise, Craig might be,  I do feel that there is a large group of Bond fans who support Craig because they are more more comfortable with his "ordinariness" compared with his predecessors.....

Wish I was as 'ordinary' as DC....

YNWA: Justice For The 96

Sometimes no news is just bad news taking it's fvcking time

36

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

None of us are ordinary,  ajb007/lol

Desiderata

'Max Ehrman' = Max Ehrmann

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others,
even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy

Forgot to add " Wear Sunscreen ".  ajb007/lol

Last edited by Thunderpussy (4th May 2014 14:01)

37

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

Nice choice of poetry Pussy! Some solid advixe in it too. (Are you feeling alright?)  ajb007/biggrin

I have to agree with M as well. Mr Craig is extrodinary as Bond. He has a brought a broken psyche and reintroduced a brute physicality to the role that has been lacking since Sir Sean. That is not to disregard the other actors, far from it.  All of them are great in the role (except Peter Sellers) but Craigs character has killed with his bare hands. He has been indecisive and made the wrong choices. He has been seen as flawed and vengeful. (Could do with a bit less of the latter in my book.)  Mr Brosnan was given a half hearted chance to do the darker character stuff in DAD, but it was not written in properly, robbing him of the chance to pull it through his whole performance throughout the film.
  Craig is playing a more rounded character and that is not an ordinary thing, its an interesting thing, giving ys more of who this character is.

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

38

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

I can' disagree with that.  ajb007/cheers   although I'm sure some will. ajb007/lol

39

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

delicious wrote:
Gassy Man wrote:
delicious wrote:

BTW In a recent Simpsons episode about video piracy called "Steal This Episode", Carl and Lenny take the piss out of the latest Bond film. They like the new James Bond reboot because Bond is ugly now, he doesn’t use gadgets, he can’t shoot well, and he doesn’t do James Bond-type things. http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/steal-this-episode-106693 Good onya Simpsons for telling it how it is.

Of course, Lenny and Carl are also idiots.

I wouldn't call Craig an ugly man by any stretch, but his nose is what seems to give his face less refinement.  But, then, he's playing a Bond not afraid to get beaten silly to get the job done, so perhaps this is to his advantage.  I do think, however, they should have darkened his features -- at least to brown hair and eyebrows.  In Casino Royale, in particular, he looks best when the light makes his blond hair seem darker.  When he's in bright light, he washes out, and it looks like he doesn't have any eyebrows.  By Skyfall, with most of his hair clipped and with so many bright light scenes, he doesn't just fade out but also looks much older. 

But with the features darkened, he very much has a classic Bond look: 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … poster.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct … 3854614311

Yes they are idiots which is why they like the latest james Bond film for those reasons. It's called irony.

And yet if they are ironic characters, what they are saying is not to be taken literally, either.

40

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

David Schofield wrote:

Regardless of one's personal views of how good looking, or otherwise, Craig might be,  I do feel that there is a large group of Bond fans who support Craig because they are more more comfortable with his "ordinariness" compared with his predecessors, and support his Bond from that kick off point. They then contrive a view of Fleming's Bond to fit accordingly.

I'd put it differently -- it's less that Craig is ordinary and more that he is relatable to more men. 

Connery had the same quality.  Even though he was tall (ridiculously so for a "secret agent" who is supposed to blend in), buff, and handsome, he seemed like a guy who got out of bed, got dressed, and went about his business like the rest of us.  He had a sense of humor and confidence men admire because it comes from inside, and even a guy who doesn't look like Connery knows that where being a man comes from.  It's just that he had some advantages, but you like him anyway because you could have a beer with him.  He could still feel pain and be put his place and so forth, and Connery always played him that way, even when he got bored with the role because they kept trying to make him less human.

Fast forward to Pierce Brosnan.  He doesn't seem like that guy at at all.  He seems like someone who has a hair stylist and diets.  He watches the E Network.  He shops.  His confidence comes from outside because he knows he looks like a male model cliche.  Brosnan can be charming, but can you imagine him getting away with that if he didn't look like a mannequin?   That's not necessarily something other men admire.  If you have a beer with him -- or more likely a light beer -- it's because he tells funny jokes.  Men can be amused by him, though, which is one reason why I still believe they should have let Brosnan play the part building upon his natural, Moore-lilke lightness and humor. 

Craig fits more neatly into the Connery camp.  That he doesn't look like Brosnan is his greatest strength.  He can't rely on conventionality.  He's got his balls and and his brains, and not only do they get him through, they give him an edge.  You just know that he would kick the crap out of Brosnan in a fight despite being smaller -- and, again, that's something men admire.  Craig is a handsome man, but in a more traditionally masculine way.  Like I said, his nose and his washed out coloring are his only real problems, and both are probably accentuated by the camera and lighting.  (You'll notice how different he can look in the same film, which is mostly the result of the lensing being used in a particular scene.)  You could definitely have a beer with Craig, though his problem is that he might seem too brooding, which is why I keep hoping they let him relax and have more fun in the next Bond film.

41

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

+1  ajb007/cheers

42

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

+ Tb2!    ajb007/smile

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

43

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

Skyfall is certainly overrated - after all it was declared to be the biggest selling British movie ever. But is it the best British movie ever? Certainly not. It is not even the best Bond movie, it's just that it happened to be an anniversary one. There are heaps of overrated movies, but it’s not the movie’s fault that it is overrated, and being overrated does not make it bad. There is no objective measure of “overratedness” – so declaring SF (or any other movie) as overrated is one thing, but proving that “ever” bit is quite another.

44

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

Gassy Man wrote:
delicious wrote:
Gassy Man wrote:

Of course, Lenny and Carl are also idiots.

I wouldn't call Craig an ugly man by any stretch, but his nose is what seems to give his face less refinement.  But, then, he's playing a Bond not afraid to get beaten silly to get the job done, so perhaps this is to his advantage.  I do think, however, they should have darkened his features -- at least to brown hair and eyebrows.  In Casino Royale, in particular, he looks best when the light makes his blond hair seem darker.  When he's in bright light, he washes out, and it looks like he doesn't have any eyebrows.  By Skyfall, with most of his hair clipped and with so many bright light scenes, he doesn't just fade out but also looks much older. 

But with the features darkened, he very much has a classic Bond look: 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … poster.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct … 3854614311

Yes they are idiots which is why they like the latest james Bond film for those reasons. It's called irony.

And yet if they are ironic characters, what they are saying is not to be taken literally, either.

Irony usually means that the opposite is true/meant of what is being said - e.g. Lenny and Carls's stupidly liking Bond because he doesn't use gadgets etc shows that only people who are like Lenny and Carl (e.g. stupid) like the new Bond - it's a satirical observation about the fact that Bond is no longer Bond. Im not calling anyone stupid BTW but the Simpsons is, as it has always done. e.g. Homer's appalling parenting is aimed at all the bad fathers out there. Satire is a form of comedy which tells us how not to act - e.g. don't be like Carl and Lenny.

45

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

delicious wrote:
Gassy Man wrote:
delicious wrote:

Yes they are idiots which is why they like the latest james Bond film for those reasons. It's called irony.

And yet if they are ironic characters, what they are saying is not to be taken literally, either.

Irony usually means that the opposite is true/meant of what is being said - e.g. Lenny and Carls's stupidly liking Bond because he doesn't use gadgets etc shows that only people who are like Lenny and Carl (e.g. stupid) like the new Bond - it's a satirical observation about the fact that Bond is no longer Bond. Im not calling anyone stupid BTW but the Simpsons is, as it has always done. e.g. Homer's appalling parenting is aimed at all the bad fathers out there. Satire is a form of comedy which tells us how not to act - e.g. don't be like Carl and Lenny.

There's all sorts of irony -- verbal irony, situatiol irony, dramatic irony, etc.  The fact that they are idiots and being taken seriously could be the satire.

46

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

Forget me not laundry irony and golf irony!  Goodlybyeload mine folly folly, oh indeedy yes!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

47

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

From Blackadder 3:
Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?

Yeah! It's like goldy and bronzy, only it's made of iron!   ajb007/lol

48

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

Thunderbird 2 wrote:

Forget me not laundry irony and golf irony!  Goodlybyeload mine folly folly, oh indeedy yes!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Didn't think you old enough to remember Stanley Unwin, TB2!

10 songs done for next CD- one more started, one being discarded.

49

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

Bärbel wrote:
Thunderbird 2 wrote:

Forget me not laundry irony and golf irony!  Goodlybyeload mine folly folly, oh indeedy yes!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Didn't think you old enough to remember Stanley Unwin, TB2!

Lol! I love the early Carry Ons, he was in Regardless, and two months ago I was finally able to watch The Secret Service on Youtube. Remarcabold, truely Remarcabold! Re enqireidy, 39 orbits completedy have I, to be certain.  ajb007/biggrin

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

50

Re: Skyfall "Most over-rated film of all time"

Stanley Unwin,  ajb007/martini  one of the Greats.  ajb007/cheers