Hot Wheels!

In July I read the announcement about a special Hot Wheels Goldfinger Aston Martin for the San Diego Comic Con. I was aware that Mattel are going to release Goldfinger DB5's in 1:43 and 1:18 in the Hot Wheels Elite series (prototypes were shown at the Nuremberg Toy Fair 2014) but in the classic, small Hot Wheels scale of around 1:64 this seemed to be the first Bond model from them. After looking for more information about the SDCC Aston Martin I learned that Mattel had already released three other Bond cars before which somehow escaped my attention, and will be releasing more in the next months. I think it's time for a thread about them while all can still be obtained quite easily.

As I never collected Hot Wheels I was a little confused about the different lines, so here a short overview: The mainline consists of the cheap models intended as toys for use with the HW tracks, so they have wide, one-piece plastic wheels and simple details. This year's mainline includes 250 models which are further divided into four segments of which the “HW Workshop” (60 models, green stripe on the card) is the one of interest. If you are trying to find a certain model on the pegs it makes it much easier if you can concentrate on those with the green stripe. I was lucky to find a single DB5 in a store.
Mainline models cost ca. $1 in the USA or €1.50 in Europe.

Then they have some premium series like the “Retro Entertainment” line. These are aimed at adult collectors which means you get the same car in a different packaging and pay a multiple for it. :)) – Ok, not exactly, the premium models have better wheels with separate tyres (in HW lingo: “Real Riders” wheels) and more tampoprints which make the models look better than their mainline counterparts. But these are still basically Hot Wheels toy cars in 1:64 scale. Price is around $5 in the US but I am not sure if they can be found in shops in Europe. The cards have European distributor addresses but I have never seen Hot Wheels premium models in stores here.

And then there are the Hot Wheels Elite and Super Elite series which are not toys but true model cars in the usual collector scales of 1:18 and 1:43, priced much higher than the 1:64 cars.

2014 Mainline #200/250 (HW Workshop – All Stars)
GF Aston Martin 1963 DB5

HW_DB5.jpg
The DB5 was introduced in October 2013 as a new casting for the 2014 mainline. The first run was in British Racing Green but this summer the colour was changed to silver and the card adapted to show the Goldfinger and James Bond 007 logos (note the “disarmed gun logo” to not scare the little children :)) – is this now a legal requirement for toys?).
Hot Wheels are distributed in waves or batches, and once a particular model that is included in only one or two batches is sold out it will not be restocked – unless it is retained in the lineup the following year and will be reproduced for another batch then. This is a very different approach to how Matchbox and Corgi were sold when the complete lineup was available year-round. So if you have missed the DB5 in stores this summer it will probably have sold out by now and only be obtained from ebay dealers for an inflated price.

The DB5 is available on three different cards, depending upon where it is sold. In North America it is usually found on the long US card or seldom the long international card; in Europe it is mostly found on the short international card and in some countries on the long international card. Here are the long international and the short card; the not pictured US card has an additional “NEW! FOR 2014” flash below the HW logo and other smaller differences. But the main reason for the different cards are the distributor addresses on the reverse side.

lamley01.jpg
(photo: lamleydlm)

The alloy spoke wheels with low-profile tyres certainly detract from the DB5's appearance, giving it the look of a modern custom car. The casting is quite good for a Hot Wheels model as they often look like caricatures of the cars.
The DB5 logo and BMT 216A number plate are printed at the rear (although there is no front plate) and we see orange and red tampoprints for the taillights. (Though usually the tampos miss the raised taillight clusters by quite a bit, can it be so difficult?) 8-) The headlights are tampoprints as well and there are even white/black/green tampos for the two Aston Martin logos. That's impressive for a mainline model (Mattel could have spared the green by reproducing the period-correct David Brown Aston Martin logos instead of the modern ones). Strangely, the grille is moulded as part of the grey interior rather than the chromed base and bumpers.

Unless I find another example in a store I keep my cars in the blisterpacks but more photos of the DB5 from all angles and a review can be found here:
http://lamleydlm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/in-her-majestys-secret-service-hot.html

SDCC 2014 Special Edition
Chrome GF Aston Martin DB5

This is the model that raised my interest for the Hot Wheels Bond cars. This is a premium version of the DB5, chrome-plated and sold at the 2014 San Diego Comic Con for $20. It is now widely available on ebay – however, the prices range from $40 to $100!

HW_SDCC1.jpg
HW_SDCC2.jpg
Attractively styled in dark brown (it looks black on most photos but is definitely a dark brown) and gold, strangely the best-looking side – the DB5 silhouette – is the rear of the box. I would have made this the illustration on the top or the front.

HW_SDCC3.jpg
HW_SDCC4.jpg
Once released of its outer box, now comes the best part: When opening the two flaps to the side, the perspex case containing the car is slowly lifted out of the inner box. There is no working ejector seat but at least the box “does” something. The opened box then of course occupies twice the shelf space.

HW_SDCC9.jpg
The box mentions “Manufactured for and imported into the EU by: Mattel Europa” which is odd for an item sold exclusively (?) in San Diego.

HW_SDCC5.jpg
The case shows a gold Hot Wheels logo on the front and an engraved 007 gun logo behind the car.

HW_SDCC7.jpg
HW_SDCC6.jpg
Being a premium model, this DB5 is outfitted with the nice wire spoke wheels and real rubber tyres. Although the new wheels are much narrower, the too large circular wheel arches of the mainline version are retained.

HW_SDCC8.jpg
Neatly applied orange/red/white tampoprints for the taillights and white/black/green tampos for the Aston Martin logos. Additional prints on the premium model: small red reflectors on the rear bumper and a thin black line on the hood air intake, and not to forget the front number plate. And a chrome grille.

A very nice addition to the Bond model car collection, although I would have preferred a gold-plated model to accompany the gold-plated Corgis or Danbury Mint. The packaging promises “Celebrating 50 Years of Goldfinger”, what better reason for a gold car could there be than the golden anniversary? This would also better complement the brown-and-gold colour scheme of the box.

If you don't like the chrome bodywork and would rather buy a DB5 with the premium wheels but silver paint, you can expect exactly that later this year as part of the Retro Entertainment line. This premium series of TV/film vehicles was introduced last year but there were no Bond-related models for 2013.
In 2014 the line consists of 30 models which are distributed in six batches of five models. Batches A to D have been released already.
Batch C included Hot Wheel's first Bond car – the Ford Mustang Mach 1 from DAF, and batch D the Aston Martin DBS from CR.
In the next batch E, due in September/October, we will see the TSWLM Lotus Esprit – in submarine mode with adjustable rudders as we have already seen a prototype of this model.
The final batch F for 2014, in November/December, will include another Bond DB5. I guess this will be similar to the SDCC version minus the chrome-plating.

2014 Retro Entertainment (batch C)
DAF 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1

HW_DAF1.jpg
I have put the Mustang next to the older one from Johnny Lightning. I have to say that I really don't like the HW Mach 1. It looks like a dragster with its larger rear wheels; the real car had 14” wheels and the same tyres front and rear. The JL wheels look much better.
The newer HW has the crisper casting, the sharp edges are somewhat smoothed on the JL, especially on the hood ducts. I also prefer the red of the HW; the lighter orange-red of the JL is not authentic for the DAF Mustang's “Bright Red”.
The HW is missing the Mustang logo and the Mach 1's parking lights in the grille. The JL is better here but its vertical parking lights are clearly from a 1973 Mustang. I think that the JL 40th anniversary packaging with miniature film poster was much more attractive then the brown-beige design chosen by Mattel for the Bond cars.

lamley19.jpg
Review with more pictures: http://lamleydlm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/first-look-hot-wheels-retro_24.html

For about the same price as the Retro Entertainment Mustang, one could also buy a Mach 1 from Auto World. This is a much better model and shows what can be expected today even in the small 1:64 scale. This is of course not Bond-related, and they don't make a Bright Red one. Like the HW and JL Mustangs it is equipped with the optional spoilers which the DAF car did not have. But it has a correct 1971 Mach 1 front and an opening hood with detailed engine, which makes the Hot Wheels premium cars look like poor value for money.
AWmach1.jpg
(photo from http://yihj0750.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1.html )

2014 Retro Entertainment (batch D)
CR Aston Martin DBS V12

HW_CR1.jpg
This is a much better model than the DAF Mustang. It just is in need of a front number plate. The rear number and the DBS logo are very nicely reproduced. I show it next to a JL Vanquish from 2002. This is the very first CR DBS in 1:64 scale, eight years after the film. (Although we already had the forgettable QOS DBS from the Shell promotion.)

lamley15.jpg
A review with more photos can be seen here (same link as for the DB5 above):
http://lamleydlm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/in-her-majestys-secret-service-hot.html

2015 Mainline #219/250 (HW Workshop)
TSWLM Lotus Esprit S1

lamley26.jpg
(photo from http://lamleydlm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/just-unveiled-hot-wheels-2015-b-case.html )

The newest addition is the TSWLM Lotus Esprit S1. There have been complaints about the Retro Entertainment submarine car; many Hot Wheels collectors had preferred a street version. As a complete surprise this was just revealed in mainline batch A for 2015.

Following TSWLM, Hot Wheels already had an Esprit S1 in their lineup in 1979, called the “Royal Flash”, painted white and adorned with a Union Jack on the front hood. Thankfully the new model is not a re-release of that ugly model but a completely new casting, and it looks very good as far as I can judge from this photo. The mainline wheels are a good substitute for the Esprit S1's Wolfrace wheels and suit the new model well, but I guess this Esprit will also receive the premium treatment for the Retro Entertainment sooner or later.

So what can be expected in the future? There was already a BMW Z3 roadster in the range, and also a Toyota 2000 GT coupé. This could be changed into the YOLT convertible. The DBS would also be possible for QOS. Maybe we will also see an empty blisterpack sold at the next Comic Con as the DAD “Vanish” – Mattel has done exactly that with “Wonder Woman's Invisible Jet” a few years ago ... :))

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    {[] Really interesting reading. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,347MI6 Agent
    love it {[]
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,519Chief of Staff
    Thanks for that - interesting stuff -{
    YNWA 97
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    Great… more stuff I may want to get :)
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    For 2015, all of the Bond models currently available in low end versions will be released in the Retro Entertainment packaging.
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    Great write up, Thanks RW -{
    With regards to your comment about “Manufactured for and imported into the EU by: Mattel Europa”
    I think it was intended that any unsold sets would be put up for general sale on their website, but I guess buyers at SDCC bought them in large quantities to sell on after the event. And I agree the packaging on that model is really great, the best I have seen for a long time
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    I've also purchased the SDCC 2014 Special Edition and was really impressed by the model and it's packaging. Top value for money. Hopefully the 1:18 will be done just as properly.
  • cyclones122cyclones122 Posts: 192MI6 Agent
    I've also purchased the SDCC 2014 Special Edition and was really impressed by the model and it's packaging. Top value for money. Hopefully the 1:18 will be done just as properly.

I purchased one as well, and agree. It is beautifully done.
  • Rainier WolfcastleRainier Wolfcastle Posts: 484MI6 Agent
    lamley29.jpg

Now that both the mainline Esprit street version and the Retro Entertainment submarine have been released for quite some time, an update seems in order. I am still waiting for my submarine but have got the street Esprit on both the long US card and the short Euro card. I now tend to prefer the short card as the artwork is completely visible.

2015 Mainline #219/250 (HW Workshop – Garage)
    TSWLM Lotus Esprit S1

HW_Esprit1.jpg

The Esprit is a very nice casting although the US card version I received had some terrible side stripe placement. I know these are just cheap toys but when the stripe is placed a millimetre forward it is more detracting from the appearance than enhancing it and would be better left without. The examples I found on the short card in a local store were much better though.

lamley27.jpg

lamley28.jpg

As before the pictures of the models released from the blisterpacks are from lamleydlm:
    http://lamleydlm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/first-look-2015-hot-wheels-lotus-esprit.html
    http://lamleydlm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/first-look-brand-new-67-ford-bronco.html

The submarine version is not as convincing as I had hoped. The adjustable rudders are very thick and the model does look a bit clumsy. I now feel that the Corgi Juniors Esprit with the fixed rudders was perhaps the better solution.

However, the Retro Entertainment Lotus has a front number plate which the mainline model is missing. While it is a nice touch to have the correct rear numberplates on the DB5 and Esprit to make them clearly connected to Bond and not just some random silver Aston or white Lotus, I do find the missing front plates disturbing.
    I hope this will be corrected for the Retro Entertainment versions of the DB5 and the street Esprit (if Mattel is planning one for 2015) although the CR DBS did not receive a front plate tampoprint.

The chrome 5-spoke wheels are very similar to the polished Wolfrace steel wheels of the real Esprit S1. When I finally found the Lotus in my local store, some three weeks after the first short card Esprits turned up on ebay from Poland and later the UK, I also found one with different wheels, so I am able to report the first notable variation of all James Bond Hot Wheels released so far.
    I have not seen a single Lotus with these wheels on ebay worldwide or reported elsewhere but have found a second specimen in the same store. I am sure there are more out there than just these two. I don't know if this wheel was put on the Lotus by mistake, or if Mattel ran out of the 5-spoke wheels at some time and substituted the 5-doublespoke “RP5” wheel to continue production. This RP5 design variant with black spokes and a chrome rim comes from the white Porsche Panamera that was produced at the same time. Both the Panamera and the Esprit have the same baseplate date stamp G32 which stands for 32nd week of 2014 (= G; starting with A for 2008).

HW_Esprit3.jpg

HW_Esprit2.jpg

But as rare as the RP5 Esprit version is, the better wheel for the S1 remains the chrome 5-spoke. The larger RP5 wheel with low-profile tyre doesn't look too bad but would be better suited to a much later Esprit S4 or GT3 from the mid-1990's.

The Esprit is already scheduled for a recolour; the second release will be red (and of course no longer Bond-related).

The GF DB5 will not continue for 2015. It has been recoloured in dark red with the new number #245 in the “HW Workshop – Then and Now” segment.

The Retro Entertainment Aston Martin DB5 from batch F 2014 has not been released yet, and there are no news about the 2015 R/E lineup. I guess this will include a premium version of the street Esprit; maybe the casting will be updated for an FYEO Turbo.
    Another possible R/E candidate is the Kenworth W900 which was released as a black “Smokey and the Bandit” truck before – in white it would be fitting for LTK.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,229MI6 Agent
    Here is the Toyota GT 2000 from You Only Live Twice:

Toyota_GT2000.jpg

I just got this for my collection this past week. The details are pretty nice, apart from the front licence plate missing again. Still at least the paint is decent with no smears. I like to use these cars for Christmas tree ornaments, since their are currently no James Bond Christmas ornaments made by Hallmark or anyone else. They look really nice displayed in my tree, at Christmas.