Rank The Blofelds

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,234MI6 Agent
With the recent SPECTRE news I figured this would be a good time to rank the Blofelds from the official bond films.

1 - OHMSS Blofeld - Telly is the most convincing IMO. Very menacing and well-acted too.
2 - FRWL Blofeld - Very sinister and iconic that you can't see his face.
3 - TB Blofeld - The same as above, though I prefer the FRWL one.
4 - DAF Blofeld - I thought Charles Gray was ok actually. A bit underrated. I do prefer others though.
5 - FYEO Blofeld - Does this one even count? Ranked here for the laughs.
6 - YOLT Blofeld - I honestly thought he was unconvincing. And he looks like he belongs in a comic book.

Your thoughts?
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    NSNA Blofeld? He wasn't the worst. I know you said "official" but this one seems relevant and one of that film's stronger elements, and perhaps more deserving than FYEO "Blofeld".
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,234MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    NSNA Blofeld? He wasn't the worst. I know you said "official" but this one seems relevant and one of that film's stronger elements.

Tbh I can't remember NSNA's Blofeld - haven't seen the film in some time
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Max von Sydow. Great actor, though this wasn't his shining hour, and good casting for Blofeld I thought (better than Pleasence anyway! :)) )
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Max von Sydow. Great actor, though this wasn't his shining hour, and good casting for Blofeld I thought (better than Pleasence anyway! :)) )

Max was probably my favorite Blofeld, although he didn't really get a chance to do much with the role.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    There is an old thread on this very subject, it ran to several pages...would be interesting to find it...
    YNWA 97
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    1. Savalas
    2. Pleasance
    3. Gray
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    1, Savalas
    2, Pleasance
    3, Gray
    4, Various unseen Blofelds.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    1. Pleasance (most iconic and memorable)
    2. Savalas (Most realistic)
    3. Gray (Most redicilious and worst casted Bond villian)
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • GrazmeisterGrazmeister Posts: 34MI6 Agent
    DAF..that was terrible, Blofeld in a dress killed it for me lol. Savalas was cool but I love YOLT and Donald Pleasance though wildly OTT and faintly ridiculous was also deeply memorable and that for me is the mark of a good character.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Novel Blofeld
    Savalas
    Pleasance
    Grey
    Other Blofelds
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    The mind can often conjure up more menace, so I am a little surprised that the unseen Blofeld's have not met with more approval. Of those that were seen only Telly Savalas portrayal carried the physical presence and menace that made me think Blofeld could defeat Bond.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • King KamalKing Kamal Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    5 - FYEO Blofeld - Does this one even count? Ranked here for the laughs.

No! ;) Blofeld is not some crack head Italian who laughs after every sentence.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    That's Silvio Berlusconi, I think. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    1.) OHMSS - Savalas is just fantastic. This one is the top for me by far.
    2.) FRWL - Great dialogue here.
    3.) YOLT - Pleasance has the classic look and the reveal is most shocking.
    4.) TB - Not as great dialogue, but purely sinister vibe.
    5.) FYEO - Still makes me laugh. Obviously not a serious interpretation and only a PTS.
    6.) DAF - Always bothers me that they tried to be serious at times, but became increasingly jokey. Off the drama from OHMSS, the tone just didn't sit right with me. On it's own he's fine. Love Charles Gray in YOLT, but this misses the mark for me.
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Telly Savalas every time!
  • Unknown007Unknown007 Posts: 201MI6 Agent
    Donald Pleasance for me, I must say Charles Gray was too Camp but good laugh - Sorry Telly Savalas should have stuck to Kojak good Blofeld to a dreadful Bond just a shame for once he hadn't hit Lazenby felt sorry for Diana Rigg in that one.
  • JuraquagmireJuraquagmire CanadaPosts: 49MI6 Agent
    1-Pleasence
    2-Gray
    3-faceless from FRwL/Tball
    4-von Sydow
    5-Savalas
    6-FYEO Blofeld
    Dalton is the Bond! Lazenby is the other fella.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Telly Savalas every time!

Yep! The rest don't really even rank for me.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    1 - FRWL Blofeld
    2 - TB Blofeld
    3 - OHMSS Blofeld
    4 - DAF Blofeld
    5 - YOLT Blofeld
    6 - FYEO Blofeld

If Von Sydow were allowed in, I would put him between 4 and 5.
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    FRWL/TB succeeded in the enigmatic Blofeld. Revealing him subjects him to new criticism a voice alone does not.

I enjoyed YOLT Blofeld. He was really disturbing with a baby-ish innocent face with a giant scar and an unsettling demeanor.

OHMSS' Blofeld was good acting, but it reduced him to a normal human. Yea, he's strong, burly and intimidating but he definitely takes the fiction out of it.

DAF Blofeld was a drag queen talk show host and an embarassment of the series. The worst one.

FYEO's Blofeld wasn't great, but it was a great campy scene that addresses a serious part of the series.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I was thinking about this, and thought to revive this thread since we've had a new Blofeld since. Here's my ranking:

1) Pohlmann/Dawson

2) Savalas

3) Pleasence

4) Gray

4.5) von Sydow

5) Rietty/Hollis

6) Waltz
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    1) Pleasence. No question about it, this man is Blofeld.
    2) Savalas. Excellent performance and would've loved to see more of him but his face must've been disfigured and he must've suffered brain damage after he "branched out"
    3) Pohlmann/Dawson. They let the cat do the talking for them.
    4) Waltz. Maybe he is so high on this list as I am blinded by my enjoyment of Spectre. He has potential to climb up the list if I see him one more time.
    5) Gray. He was great as that not-Japanese guy. Not Blofeld material but he does have some good lines but did he have to become a drag queen? The producers went into just about as much effort to make you laugh as I do in my videos.
    6) Rietty/Hollis He never gave me a "freight". Not Blofeld material.
    a reasonable rate of return