26

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

AlphaOmegaSin wrote:

The Plane Fight with Necros never fails to amaze me  ajb007/martini

Especially when the aircraft changes from a C-130 Hercules  to a C-123 Provider and back again ,four sets of props, two props, four props  ajb007/insane

27

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

I don't think it's something thats important when viewing the Film  ajb007/martini

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

28

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

Yes, But until it was pointed out to me, I'd never noticed  ajb007/lol
In fact , I usually forget about it until after the sequence.  ajb007/wink

29

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

sniperUK wrote:
AlphaOmegaSin wrote:

The Plane Fight with Necros never fails to amaze me  ajb007/martini

Especially when the aircraft changes from a C-130 Hercules  to a C-123 Provider and back again ,four sets of props, two props, four props  ajb007/insane

My God I never in all these years noticed that!!! The C-123 was for the net scenes, right? Wow.

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

30

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

Worse than  the Phantoms used as Migs in Iron Eagle or the Puma used as a Hind in Rambo or the Hispano Buchons used as Spitfires in Eagles over London or Harvards used as ground attack Typhoons in A Bridge Too Far . At least those movies used only one type .

31

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

ajb007/lol  for most of us, If it looks like a fighter plane, then it's a fighter plane.  ajb007/lol

32

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

chrisisall wrote:
sniperUK wrote:
AlphaOmegaSin wrote:

The Plane Fight with Necros never fails to amaze me  ajb007/martini

Especially when the aircraft changes from a C-130 Hercules  to a C-123 Provider and back again ,four sets of props, two props, four props  ajb007/insane

My God I never in all these years noticed that!!! The C-123 was for the net scenes, right? Wow.

Yep ,filmed in the US while the rest was in Morroco.

33

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

sniperUK wrote:

Yep ,filmed in the US while the rest was in Morroco.

Pretty amazing sleight of hand though... it seems to have worked on everyone but you, sniperUK! ajb007/martini

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

34

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

sniperUK wrote:
AlphaOmegaSin wrote:

The Plane Fight with Necros never fails to amaze me  ajb007/martini

Especially when the aircraft changes from a C-130 Hercules  to a C-123 Provider and back again ,four sets of props, two props, four props  ajb007/insane

Even worse. It sometimes changes to a model! how 6'3" Dalton can fit in a model, I don't know.  ajb007/biggrin

35

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

My wife hates watching war or aviation movies with me  ajb007/lol  But then I run the Northern Ireland Air Cadets aircraft recognition team and competitions  ajb007/biggrin

36

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

.... and of course driving the Jeep into the Hercules. Was in fact a furniture van !  ajb007/lol
Oh the glamour of the movies.  ajb007/wink

37

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

Thunderpussy wrote:

.... and of course driving the Jeep into the Hercules. Was in fact a furniture van !  ajb007/lol

No way!
You guys are destroying my favourite Bond!!! ajb007/amazed

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

38

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

Thunderpussy wrote:

.... and of course driving the Jeep into the Hercules. Was in fact a furniture van !  ajb007/lol
Oh the glamour of the movies.  ajb007/wink

And of course in both the 130 and 123 you can not see directly from the cargo hold into the cockpit  ajb007/wink

39

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

Higgins wrote:
thewizardofice wrote:

Dear oh dear.

Bond changing the champagne , the harriers landing (which is what about a 30 second scene?) and the baddies being too competent at skiing? Talk about thin pickings. If this is enough to make you write off a classic Bond film then I presume that theres not one film in the series that you like? Even FRWL has the waving at the microfilm shot so I presume that is also put in 'the bucket' too?

Speaking about nitpicking 2 points in an attempt to ridicule my argument.
And the skiers look plain silly and not " competent"  ajb007/wink

Well I could go through them all if you really want but I think that would be tedious for everyone and  I thought I'd spare you the embarrassment.

A few more of your highlights:

'Balloon popping as a metaphor' - Its John Glen not Bergman old man. Thats not a metaphor its just a balloon popping - and its widely regarded as a great moment because of the rage on Dalton's face.

'And they are riding to dawn - yawn ' - I'm at a loss here. Are you criticising it or just stating it happened? Yes they ride horses at dawn. Is that really something that annoys you?

And lets not forget your point about the Taliban (actually the Mujahideen at this point - it evloves into the Taliban later but I know you dont like nitpicking so we'll let it pass) - so good you made it twice - which has already been shot down by someone else for its historical inaccuracy.

You do hit on some good points such as 'Salt corrosion' - which is awful - but they largely get lost amongst the triviality of your, dare I say, nitpicking.

I mean really - 'The Aston Martin getting "winterized" when it's visually a different car'? Its called suspension of disbelief that Q can convert it into a hard top. If you cant just roll with this I'd suggest you give up Bond and try some Lars Von Trier in your quest for unremitting realism.

40

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

Watch it ,in your own Bond world, it's still fantastic !    ajb007/biggrin
The oddest fun fact that I've ever heard about the Bonds
Which really surprised me was .......
In GE, with the admiral getting squeezed to death and all the rolling around
On the bed. To get the shadow of them on the wall. They had to have another
Couple on the floor, casting their shadow on it !  ajb007/lol  I thought tat was amazing !  ajb007/cheers

SniperUK, I hope they don't make any aerial mistakes in SPECTRE !  ajb007/lol

41

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

To be honest in the whole series that is about the only major aviation mistake , hatch from the bomb bay to cockpit in the TB Vulcan excepted  , they even managed to get the first actual Soviet Block helicopter, the Mi2 in a western movie, FYEO.

42

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

thewizardofice wrote:

....

When you are reading here a bit longer, the consensus among the Dalton fanboys is the praise of the realism and hardness.

Moore is often criticized for silly contexts and I was just trying to show that TLD  has a lot of flaws which are usually criticized in the Moore age.

And the balloon popping scene to me it the low point of a lower than medicore movie - feel free to disagree with me.

And the "good Taliban" are what they are - can change the term - cant change the group.

stag wrote:

More good than bad points for me

I was directly replying to this and felt free to show the bad points from the movie.
Feel free to disagree and call it nitpicking - you'll find a lot of it in the "Pro" part.

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

43

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

Higgins wrote:

And the "good Taliban" are what they are - can change the term - cant change the group.

But back then 'The West' saw them as freedom fighters, are you denying this?
I remember trying to ignore the Muhajadeen in both Rambo III and TLD because I thought they were a bunch of freakin' savages we only befriended to fight the Soviets with. Good call, eh? Even in my 20's I never fell for that poo-on-a-plate the mainstream media hands you. But the truth is, the POTUS & the PM decided who our friends were back then, not field agents like Bond.

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

44

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

You're absolutely correct, Bruce Lee - but if that would have happend in a Moore movie, it would be repeated every single hour here.....

And let's not forget: Daltons movies are praised for their realism  ajb007/rolleyes

I cringe about the naivity back then and could not sit back and enjoy TLD for that reason and the others

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

45

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

The Naivity 3 is out for Christmas.  ajb007/wink
( Dude where's my donkey )

46

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

Thunderpussy wrote:

The Naivity 3 is out for Christmas.  ajb007/wink
( Dude where's my donkey )

Thou hast blasphemed.

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

47

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

Well at that time ,in reality ,SIS plus SAS/SBS were all involved in training the Afghans.

1980s - Afghanistan
SIS operatives were active in Afghanistan during the Soviet occupation, assisting the Mujahideen resistance. Activities included supplying the anti-Soviet forces with weapons such as anti-tank missiles and anti-aircraft missiles (at first the largely useless British-built Blowpipe SAMs and later the more effective US-built Stingers). Ex SAS/SBS men were also involved in these operations.

Other MI6 operations in Afghanistan included obtaining Soviet military equipment from the battlefield for later analysis.

SIS also arranged for Mujahideen fighters to be trained in heavy weapons on islands off Western Scotland by the SAS Revolutionary Warfare Wing (RWW). The Mujahideen soldiers were shuttled between Scotland and Pakistan by a C-130 operated by the RAF S&D flight, a small cadre of RAF special forces pilots that support SIS/Increment operations.

48

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

So, sniperUK, you're basically saying an MI6 agent would probably have worked with them rather that explain how he looked in his crystal ball and saw what they would become and reject them and their assistance out of hand- ?

Last edited by chrisisall (14th Dec 2014 22:28)

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

49

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

Similar to Saddam, before the West starts a war. We like to train and arm the
Opposition, to make it more fun !  ajb007/rolleyes   ajb007/lol

50

Re: Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

chrisisall wrote:

So, sniperUK, you're basically saying an MI6 agent would probably have worked with them rather that explain how he looked in his crystal ball and saw what they would become and reject them and their assistance out of hand- ?

Exactly.