MI6 Mission Folders

If anyone is able to source the base folder shown below...

Screen_Shot_2014_12_30_at_8_45_08_PM.jpg

I can probably put together the folder and "TOP SECRET" undersheet. I have an excellent vector SIS logo and can do the gold foil printing and can design the sheet as well. I just can't seem to find the file folders available anywhere. I'm guessing they should be designed to hold A4 paper as well.

Comments

• stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    It's black card right? If you can't find a ready made one I bet it wouldn't be too hard to replicate. A3 card from your local craft shop folded in half. The window could be fashioned to the same dimensions with a craft knife & a credit card (as a straight edge & to get the rounded corners). You could size the window up & draw it out then use the knife & card to cut it out?

Just a thought?

BTW how do you do the gold printing?
  • SFPROPSSFPROPS USAPosts: 380MI6 Agent
    That would work, but it would take awhile to do. I was thinking if I was going to do some, I'd make a bunch and if I could find them pre-made, it would save a lot of labor.

As for the gold printing, it can be done by printing what you want gold with a laser printer or copier in black, then using a material called laser transfer foil. You tape the foil over the black print and run it through a heat laminator. It fuses the gold to the plastic particles in the black toner.
    SFPROPS wrote:
    That would work, but it would take awhile to do. I was thinking if I was going to do some, I'd make a bunch and if I could find them pre-made, it would save a lot of labor.

As for the gold printing, it can be done by printing what you want gold with a laser printer or copier in black, then using a material called laser transfer foil. You tape the foil over the black print and run it through a heat laminator. It fuses the gold to the plastic particles in the black toner.

The next time I'm in staples I'll ask if they have any of those folders, if so I'll let you know. The gold foil process is interesting.
    In fact I have a contact who owns a printing business. I haven't seen him for a long time but when I do I shall also ask him, he may be able to point you in the right direction if you haven't had any success. Don't hold your breath though as I don't know when I will see him next.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I saw some folders like this on ebay. I planned on just cutting the window out myself.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    The windows were pre-cut and part of the product. I have a an idea where they were bought from as they got a few office things, including the bulldog box from the one company. I've emailed a couple of folks who may remember so when I know for sure I'll let SFPROPS know too. If it's anything like the bulldog box though, they may be a few seasons old and no longer made. We shall see.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    I already know where I can get them made and printed custom. Even with the gold imprint. However, there is a minimum order of 350 folders and then you'd need to invest in the plate for the gold foil stamping. I'm guessing that the production didn't go to this extreme for a prop they needed just a couple of, and I'm looking at maybe producing a couple dozen on the cheap. Any extra I would make I'd probably offer for just a couple of bucks more than what it cost me to produce to cover costs and time.

So, if just the folders with the precut window could be found, I'd just need to run the folders through for the gold foiling and we'd have a neat MI6 prop replica for just a little bit of money. Cutting the window out might get messy and wouldn't be that easy to get everything straight and clean.
    I can find the correct size, color and what I'm guessing is the material, but all the windows are off center, not centered in the middle. It's my understanding that these were "off the shelf" items and not something custom made for production, so they have to be out there somewhere.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    SFPROPS wrote:
    I can find the correct size, color and what I'm guessing is the material, but all the windows are off center, not centered in the middle. It's my understanding that these were "off the shelf" items and not something custom made for production, so they have to be out there somewhere.

See post 7
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I've been in contact with Asp9mm, and he has some info but it was not enough yet to track down the original materials. I'm assuming this was something that was procured at a UK stationer and is off the shelf. Apparently the originals had a cellophane window that was removed. Just wanted to update everyone as to what I've been able to track down so far myself.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Hopefully we will get a definitive answer soon. The sad thing is, the one person I thought that would know, couldn't remember all the details save for what we have re the actual item used and how it was modified. Still two possibilities, but no reply yet. Not surprising considering the time of year though :D
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • StirlingStirling ScotlandPosts: 65MI6 Agent
    Well I knew we had something very similar at work (I don't use them, who does actual paperwork?) so I caused a distraction and snuck into the stationary room :)) they said "Elba for business, report cover, A4" Don't know if that's the brand or the type, looks right in google though :s. Unfortunately we had no jet black (there was dark blues and charcoal colour which may be a screen black given the filters and lightings but I'm not convinced) It's an avenue to enquire, if it's a likely fit I can liberate them for some non stock photos.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Both of those options provide some good leads. It looks as though the window on both options are a little large however. Also, there are no visible binding combs onscreen and the second lead is for use in one of those comb binding set ups.

I'm going to look and see if either product's manufacturer makes something closer.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Apologies for going into tangent. I was wondering if anyone has done a replica of the FYEO mission folder from Fleming' short story, which he describes as a buff folder with a freshly stamped "FOR YOUR EYES ONLY" in red ink, in a sans serif lettering if I remember correctly. Does anyone have reference images of authentic mission or file folders used by the UK government in the 1950's? I tried perusing the website of the UK National Archives, but haven't found anything solid.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    I believe this is the one they used in the movie:
    For+Your+Eyes+Only+folder.png
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    I believe Henrik has this down, sure I have this from him and his is top quality. I'm on assignment overseas at the moment so won't be back to UE - Q Branch until Feb so can confirm then. B-)
    I'd love to know the source for the base folder. It would help me with these I've been working on....
    classic_mi6_folder.jpg
  • AbelAbel DenmarkPosts: 352MI6 Agent
    edited February 2015
    superado wrote:
    Apologies for going into tangent. I was wondering if anyone has done a replica of the FYEO mission folder from Fleming' short story, which he describes as a buff folder with a freshly stamped "FOR YOUR EYES ONLY" in red ink, in a sans serif lettering if I remember correctly. Does anyone have reference images of authentic mission or file folders used by the UK government in the 1950's? I tried perusing the website of the UK National Archives, but haven't found anything solid.

Yes I have done a for your eyes only folder. With mission parameters spyplane photos Greek police description and mugshots of Gonzalez with fingerprints.

image.jpg
    You left this with Ferrara, I believe
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Abel wrote:
    superado wrote:

Yes I have done a for your eyes only folder. With mission parameters spyplane photos Greek police description and mugshots of Gonzalez with fingerprints.

image.jpg

That's a handsome folder you have there, just as the others posted on this thread are. However, I wonder how a "real life" mission folder from 1960 would have looked like, the year when Fleming's FYEO short story was published?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • thegreatgallingthegreatgalling Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    Loving this thread, would love to see where this goes.
    superado wrote:
    Abel wrote:
    superado wrote:

image.jpg

That's a handsome folder you have there, just as the others posted on this thread are. However, I wonder how a "real life" mission folder from 1960 would have looked like, the year when Fleming's FYEO short story was published?

Perhaps having a view of the modern classic 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy'? There's lots of scenes involving files and inside the firm. The opening titles does if my 8bit memory serves me.

MG
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent
    Right now I'm making a replica of the GoldenEye menu, since it is a mission folder I googled some. These were the ones I found online: http://imgur.com/a/XhtxZ
    And some pics of the project I've been working on, it's not an one on one replica, but I'm doing my best. :x
    Some details were changed to make it a bit more realistic or to convert it to A4-Format. http://imgur.com/a/ZvNFJ
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,844MI6 Agent
    Kurt, sent you an email - Ed
    edited June 2017
    The for your eyes only file:
    And I'm putting the finishing touches on the Octupussy filed.

image.jpg

The "for your eyes only" file:
    Two aerial photos of the Villa.
    Mug shot with fingerprints and crime sheet of Gonzalez.
    From the Greek police.
    And mission parameters and intel for operation "undertow".

The "Octopussy" file:
    picture of the dead clown.
    Death certificate with description of injuries.
    Picture of the knife recovered from 009's body.
    MI6 description of 009.
    Add mission parameters and Intel for operation "trove""
  • DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent
    @abel Did you made the map yourself? I've wanted to make a map like this for ages but I don't know how exactly to make the top ''classified information'' stamp or a good view on the lower ''central register'' details. Is there a picture somewhere in one of the books that you know? I'd love if you (or some other member if he knows) could help me out.
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/
    I finally have the Octopussy file

IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Stunning....as usual.
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 462MI6 Agent

Bit of a necrobump...I've come across a website for Heather Pollington, a graphic designer who did some work on Skyfall:

One of the things on the website is the mission folder:

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,150MI6 Agent
    edited February 20

I made a version of the SF dossier a couple of years back, using that website to get the fine details right. Only question is, what would be inside? I'll share some pics when I get home. It's an envelope not a folder.

EDIT:

This is the SF dossier I made back in 2021. I have a stack of the envelopes - the intention was to offer this one to others, but without any idea of what's inside, the project faded.

I do have a few ideas of what to fill the envelope with, but it would be great to hear others thoughts on that.

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.