1

Topic: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

21st film in the Bond series, debuting Daniel Craig as 007.  Craig was initially greeted with much skepticism, but the movie and his performance were both widely acclaimed.  By many, it is considered the most acclaimed entry in the series since Goldfinger.  In a turn from the predecessor, comical CGI-laden Die Another Day, Casino Royale is more grounded in Fleming's writing.

Pros:
The gritty black-and-white followed by an colorful anthemic song/video
Daniel Craig a sexy lust-bomb with a whole new take on the character
Embodies the anger, harrowing sadness and paranoia/mistrust of the post 9/11 era
Adapts Fleming's work to the 21st century (terrorists are more scary than brothel moguls)
Eva Green as Vesper, a female lead that embraces a strong femininity
Dench's M keeps up the good work with a revised approach toward Craig's Bond
Mads makes a really good, and believeable Le Chiffre (that torture scene...)
In many ways, was a paradigm shift for other action movies in the 2000's
No gadgets, Moneypenny, Q, etc.  Expanding creatively on the formula
The ending gives Connery's famous introduction a run for its money

Cons:
Action-heavy first hour could've been tightened just a little bit.
How Bond gets his 00-status could've been explained a little bit more

Practically no real flaws here - my cons are marginal nitpicks.  It's an overall perfect movie, as perfect as any film can get.  Probably my favorite film in the series.

Last edited by Absolutely_Cart (19th Sep 2015 21:53)

2

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Casino Royale is probably the best movie from the entire series

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

3

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Higgins wrote:

Casino Royale is probably the best movie from the entire series

You say that on all of my pros and cons threads lmao - you're such a troll.

4

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Absolutely_Cart wrote:

  1st film to debut Daniel Craig as 007.

Which film was the 2nd, Cart?

5

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Barbel wrote:
Absolutely_Cart wrote:

  1st film to debut Daniel Craig as 007.

Which film was the 2nd, Cart?

Octopussy, of course.

6

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Joshing aside, that's a good review. I'd add David Arnold's fine work to the pro's.

7

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Pros -

Amazing PTS
Absorbing Soundtrack
Beautiful Locations
Le Chiffre is a cold, mysterious Villain
Eva Green  ajb007/tongue
Some well Shot Fights
The Ending  ajb007/martini

Cons-
I actually can't think of any.

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

8

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

It's my second favourite Bond film ( almost neck & neck with ohmss )
So as with AOS, no cons for me either.  ajb007/martini

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

9

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Though I really like the movie and it ranks very high with me, it has its flaws:

The Miami scenes look cheap! (Bodyworld, the airport, the airfield chase)
Some dialogues are cringeworthy! (Took my armour off - little finger - Omega (Moore would have gotten crucified for those!))
The car chase should have been longer!

On the other hand YKMN is phantasic, best title song in my opinion!

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

10

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

A contender for the very top...

1. For Your Eyes Only      2. The Living Daylights    3 From Russia with Love  4. Casino Royale  5. OHMSS  6. Skyfall

11

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Higgins wrote:

Though I really like the movie and it ranks very high with me, it has its flaws:

The Miami scenes look cheap! (Bodyworld, the airport, the airfield chase)
Some dialogues are cringeworthy! (Took my armour off - little finger - Omega (Moore would have gotten crucified for those!))
The car chase should have been longer!

The first two here really bring the film down for me. The car chase was very disappointing since it really wasn't a car chase. Bond gets in the car and then it rolls over many time. It could have had more build up and the rolls at the end would have been even better. The Miami airport chase was just boring and didn't take the movie anywhere like a car chase later in the film could have.

The dialogue certainly is cringe-worthy. At least in Moore's films the dialogue isn't supposed to be taken seriously, so it doesn't detract from the films overall. In CR the dialogue is just so unrealistic for a film that is supposed to be realistic.

Perhaps because of the dialogue, or also the way Craig acts, I don't find the Bond/Vesper relationship at all convincing. The scene where they meet on the train is one of the worst of the series. The dialogue isn't anything real people would say. The way they tell each other about each other is painful. Despite Lazenby and Rigg hating each other on set, I found them to have far more chemistry on screen.

I also don't like that they focused so much on the origins of the character, and I don't find it believable either. The classic Bond character would have been formed in his teens and at university, not in his late 30s. People's mannerisms and tastes are formed at a younger age. Vesper didn't create Bond in the novels like she does in this film. I hated how she taught Bond how to be Bond, like in how to dress.

And taking advantage of the poker boom? It disgraces Fleming's novel by replacing baccarat with Texas Hold-em poker.

I could keep going on the faults of CR.

12

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Pros:
-The parkour chase
-The title song
-The titles
-The airport scenes

Cons:
-The anti climactic death of Le Chiffre
-Sudden change from action heavy film to Sean Connery Bond film
-Everything after Le Chiffe's death bores me a bit
-Doent really have a Bond film feel to it
-If I'm honest here, Vesper. She has some really cringeworthy lines in my opinion and I feel she is incredibly overated. However, Eva Green does look like a traditional Bond girl.

It's definetly not my favourite, but not my least either. I don't like it as a Bind film, but I do think it is a very good action film in general.
7.5/10

1.LTK  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.FYEO  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.TWINE  20.OHMSS  21.DAF  22.DAD  23.QoS  24.NSNA  25.DN  26.CR (67)

13

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Near perfect however feel the Vesper car chase was a wasted opportunity!!!!

Instagram - bondclothes007

14

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Good point about the car chase.  Maybe the action in the film could've been spread a little bit more throughout than just all action in the first hour and no action during the rest of it.

15

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Pros

A character-driven story, for the most part
Strong action sequences
Bona fide actors rather than just pretty people saying lines
  Daniel Craig, while more narrow in range, brings back Connery's and Lazenby's masculinity while remaining grounded
  Eva Green, like Diana Rigg, imbues "the girl" with dimension and personality
  Judi Dench plays a different M in temperament than before
  Giancarlo Giannini is terrific as Mathis; too bad his character is ham-fisted in the next film
  Mads Mikkelsen and the rest of the villains are creepy and menacing
A much better directorial effort by Martin Campbell than Goldeneye
A decent if uneven score by David Arnold
Good pacing
Capable editing
Beautiful cinematography
Interesting locations
Terrific costumes and wardrobe
An A level production

Cons

More or less follows Batman Begins with the prequel, rough-around-the-edges concept for the hero
Romance is underdeveloped; there's enough to understand it but not as much to really feel it
The parkour sequence, while good, is edited at times so we don't really see what's happening or happening in "real time"
Craig delivers the class line "The bitch is dead" too fast and like a throwaway when it was critical in the novel
Clunker lines like the bit about armor
They should have darkened Craig's hair and features; he washes out at times and his casting controversy would likely been avoided
Many of deleted scenes should be undeleted

The best Bond films since the classic 1960s period.

16

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Pros:

Good PTS
Excellent theme song
Great score
DC is very good as Bond
Good story
Plenty of glamour

Cons:

Le Chiffre is a bit forgettable
Eva Green (although very good) sometimes seems uncomfortable in the role and her performance seems a little forced at times

17

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Gassy Man wrote:

They should have darkened Craig's hair and features

What?  Craig's hair was fine.  But also, it would look uncannily off-base for someone with a germanic facial structure to all of a sudden have dark hair, eyes, etc.

18

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

welshboy78 wrote:

Near perfect however feel the Vesper car chase was a wasted opportunity!!!!

I think the Car Chase is a critical Part of the Film  ajb007/martini

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

19

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Absolutely_Cart wrote:
Gassy Man wrote:

They should have darkened Craig's hair and features

What?  Craig's hair was fine.  But also, it would look uncannily off-base for someone with a germanic facial structure to all of a sudden have dark hair, eyes, etc.

He looked pretty bad with dark brown hair in Sylvia. But just a little darkening could have helped, like to where Roger Moore's hair was darker in some of his films. They have similar complexions. The blond hair, however, is not where I would criticise Daniel Craig.

20

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Absolutely_Cart wrote:
Gassy Man wrote:

They should have darkened Craig's hair and features

What?  Craig's hair was fine.  But also, it would look uncannily off-base for someone with a germanic facial structure to all of a sudden have dark hair, eyes, etc.

His eyes would not have to be darkened.  And certainly there are plenty of people of Prussian stock -- and I don't believe Craig is -- who have dark hair.

21

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Craig's Parents are both Part Welsh.

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

22

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Matt S wrote:
Absolutely_Cart wrote:
Gassy Man wrote:

They should have darkened Craig's hair and features

What?  Craig's hair was fine.  But also, it would look uncannily off-base for someone with a germanic facial structure to all of a sudden have dark hair, eyes, etc.

He looked pretty bad with dark brown hair in Sylvia. But just a little darkening could have helped, like to where Roger Moore's hair was darker in some of his films. They have similar complexions. The blond hair, however, is not where I would criticise Daniel Craig.

Blackening his hair might be too much, though he has pulled it off (and looks rather Connery-esque in at least one of these photos).  But notice how even in Casino Royale, when his hair looks a little darker and, perhaps, more brown, it not only suits him but seems to make him seem more Bondian.



http://s3.postimg.cc/ub8lekjf3/daniel_craig_5_1126906354.jpg

http://s10.postimg.cc/5pdx1zxp1/download_13.jpg

http://s4.postimg.cc/6guk7iep5/Daniel_Craig_2.jpg

http://s21.postimg.cc/q677rxpeb/Daniel_Craig.jpg

http://s13.postimg.cc/n7fipx2v7/Daniel_Craig_3.jpg

I don't mind him having blond hair -- my point is that some of the negative reaction to him as Bond is because he wasn't dark.

23

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

AlphaOmegaSin wrote:
welshboy78 wrote:

Near perfect however feel the Vesper car chase was a wasted opportunity!!!!

I think the Car Chase is a critical Part of the Film  ajb007/martini

That was the point. Instead of letting you get immersed in another car chase - they trip you up! The girl who were saw the film with did a double take when this happened. It wasn't expected.

Also to all those who say Le Chiffres death is anticlimactic? You do know thats the way he buys it in the novel?

1. For Your Eyes Only      2. The Living Daylights    3 From Russia with Love  4. Casino Royale  5. OHMSS  6. Skyfall

24

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

broadshoulder wrote:
AlphaOmegaSin wrote:
welshboy78 wrote:

Near perfect however feel the Vesper car chase was a wasted opportunity!!!!

I think the Car Chase is a critical Part of the Film  ajb007/martini

That was the point. Instead of letting you get immersed in another car chase - they trip you up! The girl who were saw the film with did a double take when this happened. It wasn't expected.

Also to all those who say Le Chiffres death is anticlimactic? You do know thats the way he buys it in the novel?

Not only that, but Le Chiffre's death is not the climax of the film or the novel.

25

Re: Pros and Cons: Casino Royale (2006)

Gassy Man wrote:
broadshoulder wrote:
AlphaOmegaSin wrote:

I think the Car Chase is a critical Part of the Film  ajb007/martini

That was the point. Instead of letting you get immersed in another car chase - they trip you up! The girl who were saw the film with did a double take when this happened. It wasn't expected.

Also to all those who say Le Chiffres death is anticlimactic? You do know thats the way he buys it in the novel?

Not only that, but Le Chiffre's death is not the climax of the film or the novel.

This ^

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger