Why no love for Diamonds Are Forever (Novel)?

perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
I have to say that DAF is one of my favorites. I think this novel is pure Fleming. I would love to see a serialized made for TV movie (cable of course) of this retro Bond. I want to hear why people do not like it.
"And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady

Comments

• 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    You won't hear anything bad from me, I love it too!

Admittedly it isn't in the top tier of Bond thrillers, but satisfying nonetheless.
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent
    It's okay but I find it very uneven. There are some sequences that I love (especially those featuring Wint & Kidd or Shady Tree) but other sections leave me bored. I love the treatment of Tiffany Case, who comes across as being very multi-dimensional but others, in particular the two Spang brothers, are either caricatured or too poorly-motivated to believably drive the action.

However, it is probably the finest example (along with FRWL) of a true spy novel, in-so-far as Bond goes undercover to collect intelligence on the diamond-smuggling ring. It's just a shame that Bond, himself, undermines this mission by deliberately disregarding his instructions and picking a fight, thus blowing his own cover.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I'd say that the Novels biggest Issue is the Main Set of Villains. They just arnt as strong as Le Chiffre, Mr Big or Hugo Drax.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,220Chief of Staff
    As said above, the weakest point is that the Spang brothers don't compare with Fleming's usual standard of villain. That apart, there's lots to enjoy in DAF and as perdogg says it'd be great to see a faithful screen treatment one day (no breath being held).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Agreed, the only problem with DAF, are the weak villains. It has a fantastic
    Leading lady and some brilliant scenes. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    It's one that needs re-reading for me. When I first read all the Fleming novels it was one that stood out as being one of the weakest. I think it was the last one that I read, and it didn't match up to most of the other books in my opinion but after all this time I wouldn't be able to tell you why!
    The Cannonball Chase is the Highlight of the Story -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    Golrush007 wrote:
    It's one that needs re-reading for me. When I first read all the Fleming novels it was one that stood out as being one of the weakest. I think it was the last one that I read, and it didn't match up to most of the other books in my opinion but after all this time I wouldn't be able to tell you why!

I would recommend the audiobook by Simon Vance.
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
    And David Rintoul.
    DAF will be the next Radio Play for Radio 4 -{
    Nice to hear, it will be great to hear an adaptation of it. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    I really enjoyed - more so then LALD which is prob blasphemy around here
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I love reading LALD and DAF Back to Back. Fleming really put in so much Effort into describing 1950's America -{
    If EON decide to adapt the Spangled Mob, they could turn it into a SPECTRE like Organisation. With the Spang Brothers as the Heads.
    If EON decide to adapt the Spangled Mob, they could turn it into a SPECTRE like Organisation. With the Spang Brothers as the Heads.

Unfortunately, if organized crime would be a part of it, the America Mafia has pased its ptime.
    perdogg wrote:

Unfortunately, if organized crime would be a part of it, the America Mafia has pased its ptime.

yes, that's true.
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent
    Personally, I don't see why they can't be adapted as period pieces. Set them firmly in the 1950s and they might work well as TV mini-series. Have get EON to agree though...
    002 wrote:
    Personally, I don't see why they can't be adapted as period pieces. Set them firmly in the 1950s and they might work well as TV mini-series. Have get EON to agree though...

EON is not interested in making movies, only money. Fair enough, The studio today is not going to buy a film if doesn't meet the test. The test is whether they can get people other than fans of genre into movie theatre.

Therefore, the Bond film is no longer going to be trend setter, just a follower.
    002 wrote:

I sadly don't see it happening :#
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent
    002 wrote:

I sadly don't see it happening :#

What we will have is a period radio adaptation on BBC Radio 4 later on this year. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Also the great thing about a radio adaptation, is you can still use your imagination
    so you still get the same images in your head as you did from the book. ;)
    Is it the David Rintoul one?
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    My 20-year old son, who's reading the books in order, had a hard time getting through DAF. I liked it the first couple of times, but gained a new appreciation for it after taking in the audiobook. Fleming plumbed the depths of international organized crime that includes Europe, Africa, the Middle-East and America, though it was delivered in an abbreviated brush stroke in the begining. Tiffany's dialogue comes to life and although she was too neurotic for my taste, her characterization is one of the more fuller ones depicted by Fleming. Using his own travels as background, I think he did a great job stringing together a coherent diamond pipeline using that material. The dialogue between Bond and Felix was also rich; perhaps what might have been disconcerting to some readers because of too much characterization and background information vs. plot development.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    Is it the David Rintoul one?

My book was the Simon Vance one. Simon Vance is great, especially when he does Leiter and Shady tree.
    Tiffany Case is probably my personal favourite of the Women that Fleming created -{
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    I really enjoyed the novel and wished the film would have followed it's plot more closely.
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
    I am wondering if Fleming used DAF to address criticism over race and sex. Bond seems to be quite domesticated in the novel.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    As with Scaramanga in GG, there's all this build up by M about how we should take these gangsters seriously, but the result is a damp squib and anyway it is mixing two genres really, having Bond take on these types. Not that Fleming can't do that, but he doesn't do it well here.

Still, there is some enjoyable stuff in the book, it just reads like Fleming's travelogue stuff and he has written a book around it. It's a bit obvious in that way I guess.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    The Thing with Gangsters, is that they don't make for very interesting Villains.
  • clublosclublos Jacksonville, FLPosts: 193MI6 Agent
    Has anyone noticed the different editions and how they handle Case's response to Bond asking if he can smoke when the first meet? I first noticed it because I have the MJF editions and in that version she responds, "So long as it's tobacco." However, in the audiobook I heard her respond by saying, "If that's the way you want to die."

I wonder which was in the original?