Sean Connery smoking?

PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
Does anyone know the story of Sean smoking in his personal life?

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Perhaps you could elaborate a little more on what you mean specifically here.

So far all I have really found is this from Sean Connery's 1965 interview with Playboy magazine:

PLAYBOY: How did you become so self-reliant?

CONNERY: My background was harsh. One's parents left one free to make one's own way. When I was nine my mother caught me smoking and she said, "Don't let your father find out, because if he does he'll beat you so hard he'll break your bottom." From the time I started working at 13, I always paid my share of the rent, and the attitude at home was the prevalent one in Scotland--you make your own bed and so you have to lie on it. I didn't ask for advice and I didn't get it. I had to make it on my own or not at all.

You can read the entire interview here:

http://seanconneryonline.com/art_playboy1165.htm

I hope that this helps in some small way! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Nice interview, SM. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Nice interview, SM. -{

Yes, it's a good one. I first read it years ago on Google Groups. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    I've read the interview. I also remember reading somewhere that he was a non-smoker during his Bond filming and didn't like it. Does anyone know about that? I'm in a discussion with someone that claims he smoked heavy his whole life and it caused his throat problems.
  • michaelnicmichaelnic Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    In a 1971 Guardian article, Connery suggests he quit smoking - cold turkey, 3 years prior; however, the interview includes him lighting up a cigar... https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/history-connery-1971-back-in-bondage
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    michaelnic wrote:
    In a 1971 Guardian article, Connery suggests he quit smoking - cold turkey, 3 years prior; however, the interview includes him lighting up a cigar... https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/history-connery-1971-back-in-bondage

THANKS!
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    In the book, "The Art of Bond," Ridley Scott mentioned that as an art student, they visited the Dr. No set in Pinewood and he saw Connery dressed in his tuxedo and smoking a cigarette while waiting between takes. As a side note, he also saw Terence Young who was impeccably dressed while shouting orders to the production and Scott said it was in that moment when he decided what he wanted to do in life.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....