Tom Ford "Ready to Wear" line debuts September 1 2015

hthomashthomas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 833MI6 Agent
For anyone who is interested, Tom Ford is debuting his full ready to wear line available @ Mr Porter tomorrow 9/1/2015. I have been looking forward to seeing what is put out. I figured there might be some cool Bond like items!
instagram.com/dressinglikebond

Comments

• Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    At the outrageous prices they are charging for their Spectre clothing sadly I'm not interested.
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • martinimartini Posts: 289MI6 Agent
    Link? Prices?
    "It is better to be as well dressed as possible to stave off, at least for a very little bit, the total collapse of civilization"
  • lippelippe Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    Ah, how times of changed. I remember when Tom Ford thought that the Internet was the worst place for his clothing and loathed the idea of Mr. Porter selling his goods. 4 years later, how things have changed.

It's all online now via http://www.mrporter.com/mens/designers/tom_ford?resType=designer&keywords=tom%20ford&keywords=Tom+Ford
    I am sure I saw a recent interview where he said department stores were on the way out (and department store type websites) and people would only go to specific stores (and their sites). I am not sure I agree with him on this.

I have some Tom Ford perfume, which was a present, and apart from sunglasses and ties, I think that the rest of the goods from that link above are too rich for my blood.
    "It is better to be as well dressed as possible to stave off, at least for a very little bit, the total collapse of civilization"
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    lippe wrote:
    Ah, how times of changed. I remember when Tom Ford thought that the Internet was the worst place for his clothing and loathed the idea of Mr. Porter selling his goods. 4 years later, how things have changed.

It's all online now via http://www.mrporter.com/mens/designers/tom_ford?resType=designer&keywords=tom%20ford&keywords=Tom+Ford

Thanks for the link!

The black cardigan is still on my fantasy wish list but too expensive for me

The rest of the items were just ok...
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:

Hi David

I don't own one but 990 Euros is about 730 pounds which sounds about right from memory. I looked at the price for the black cardigan a while back at Selfridges.

Do you remember what they were?
    Price sounds "about right" from memory. Whole outfit for the cardigan as shown (with jeans, tee, boots, and bag) is £4000! :s
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Is there something wrong with the website?

I put the £800 odd cardigan in my basket but when I check out it goes up to 1.2K instead of it being cheaper (Mr Porter always knocks the VAT off for me)

Got the Cardigan anyhow but was checking the price for curiosity
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • rebentonrebenton Birmingham ALPosts: 276MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:

Inflation... Haha
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent
    So that cardigan is the QOS model? Is it SA?
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    In the past I have thought Tom Ford stuff was extortionate in price, but this time the styling makes new wince. The patent evening slippers are nothing of the sort. They are modern standard patent loafers with a simple bow added, nothing like either modern designer silk or velvet evening shoes, or alternatively classical opera pumps.

Equally, a luxury cummerbund is lined satin or silk all the way around, with a secure clip at the back. No elastic banding in its bodywork which makes it cheap.

On the surface the eveningwear bow tie is rediculously expensive. It is then made worse by the pics revealing it's a cheapo ready tied clip version. Ditto the dress shirt is a standard style, with ordinary plastic shirt buttons. Neither expensive buttons, designer studs with semi precious stones, or a concealed front.

A lot of the clothes look nice, such as the wollens other shoes and the dinner suit. However the pricing (and the cheap nature of the items I mention above) suggest the pricing is beyond reason. Even for those that are wealthy.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • DBSDBS Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,015MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    Cheverian wrote:

No, the shawl cardigan has been slightly redesigned, as of Spring 2015 I believe. The shawl collar is not as wide as the previous model, and I believe it's slightly more slim fitted as well.

Kind regards,
    Craig
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    In the past I have thought Tom Ford stuff was extortionate in price, but this time the styling makes new wince. The patent evening slippers are nothing of the sort. They are modern standard patent loafers with a simple bow added, nothing like either modern designer silk or velvet evening shoes, or alternatively classical opera pumps.

Equally, a luxury cummerbund is lined satin or silk all the way around, with a secure clip at the back. No elastic banding in its bodywork which makes it cheap.

On the surface the eveningwear bow tie is rediculously expensive. It is then made worse by the pics revealing it's a cheapo ready tied clip version. Ditto the dress shirt is a standard style, with ordinary plastic shirt buttons. Neither expensive buttons, designer studs with semi precious stones, or a concealed front.

A lot of the clothes look nice, such as the wollens other shoes and the dinner suit. However the pricing (and the cheap nature of the items I mention above) suggest the pricing is beyond reason. Even for those that are wealthy.

I can't imagine wearing a cummerbund without elastic. This one is a different design than I'm used to seeing with elastic on the sides rather than in the back, but I'm not sure why you think it's inferior. I'm willing to guess this cummerbund has less slippage than more ordinary designs. And what are you saying about the way it's lined? We can't even see the lining.

I think the bow tie is a self-tie clip-on. T&A does the same, so it's hardly a cheap cop-out.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • TintinTintin Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    DBS wrote:
    Cheverian wrote:

No, the shawl cardigan has been slightly redesigned, as of Spring 2015 I believe. The shawl collar is not as wide as the previous model, and I believe it's slightly more slim fitted as well.

Kind regards,
    Craig

And the QoS cardigan was 100% Extra Fine Merino Wool. But perhaps Mr.Porter was just a little lazy in the description.
    Tintin wrote:
    And the QoS cardigan was 100% Extra Fine Merino Wool. But perhaps Mr.Porter was just a little lazy in the description.

It's still the same 100% Extra Fine Merino Wool. Mr. Porter is just keeping it simple, it seems. I'm amazed at how quickly these pieces are selling out. A $5K suit practically sold out in hours! I'd much rather spend that money in a TF boutique and be measured for the suit in person and enjoy the shopping experience. I also wonder if the TF items come with the branded TF boxes and hangers. I've bought some Belstaff jackets from Mr. Porter in the past, and I haven't even received a Belstaff hanger, let alone a Belstaff garment bag.

Kind regards,
    Craig
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    DBS wrote:
    Tintin wrote:

It's still the same 100% Extra Fine Merino Wool. Mr. Porter is just keeping it simple, it seems. I'm amazed at how quickly these pieces are selling out. A $5K suit practically sold out in hours! I'd much rather spend that money in a TF boutique and be measured for the suit in person and enjoy the shopping experience. I also wonder if the TF items come with the branded TF boxes and hangers. I've bought some Belstaff jackets from Mr. Porter in the past, and I haven't even received a Belstaff hanger, let alone a Belstaff garment bag.

Kind regards,
    Craig

In the United States there are scores of wealthy people who do not have ready access to a TF boutique but might want to splash some money on TF clothes. While I agree with your approach, I'm not at all surprised these items are selling out quickly.
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    The flying jacket is cheap looking and really over priced , I would go for a genuine Irvin for a lot less.
    https://www.flying-jacket.com/product-details.aspx?id=1

In the United States there are scores of wealthy people who do not have ready access to a TF boutique but might want to splash some money on TF clothes. While I agree with your approach, I'm not at all surprised these items are selling out quickly.

I'm constantly floored by how many millionaires live in the US (and worldwide for that matter). And I live in a concentrated area of them, with some of the country's wealthiest real estate. My guess is that Mr. Porter had very limited numbers of each size. That's the way TF does it in their boutiques - typically only one of each size in stock.

I'm sure the folks at TF were watching the launch very closely. I hope they quickly learned that there is a HUGE market online for their clothes. Until now, you couldn't buy anything more than shirts and accessories from retailers online (and the TF site only went live in 2014, with shipping only within the US). Perhaps we'll see more of the ready-to-wear line popping up from other online retailers like Farfetch and Revolve, etc.

Kind regards,
    Craig
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Sadly, quite like the bracelet myself.

Ihttp://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens/tom_ford/braided-leather-and-gold-plated-bracelet/595211

Really strange for me, that!
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    Sniper I am with you on the Irvin jacket. I had a black jacket styled like that ( a more modern make, but still good) would love to get another one, one day.

Matt S: the bow tie. My Grandad had some daywear bows that were self tie with a ready tie clip from the 1950s. The clue is the clip is not so close to the bow. (Designed for use with standard collar shirts.) that and the type of clip suggest this is a ready tie only. Plus the bow is perfectly symmetrical, and the is no untied shot. Disappointing.

The cummerbund. I hope my description makes sense! Cummerbunds have two basic styles usually. One which goes round the waist, stops at about the hips and the rest is a woven elastic band such as that in the Tom Ford one.

The other style is one where the cummerbund belt tapers in, but continues right round to the back at both sides, usually fastened by a slide clip. This version is all satin or silk outer, while lined inside. The sides double back with velcro to make the garment adjustable. I have three, and all sit much better than the elastic ones. Pic attached.

image.jpg
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Sniper I am with you on the Irvin jacket. I had a black jacket styled like that ( a more modern make, but still good) would love to get another one, one day.

Matt S: the bow tie. My Grandad had some daywear bows that were self tie with a ready tie clip from the 1950s. The clue is the clip is not so close to the bow. (Designed for use with standard collar shirts.) that and the type of clip suggest this is a ready tie only. Plus the bow is perfectly symmetrical, and the is no untied shot. Disappointing.

The cummerbund. I hope my description makes sense! Cummerbunds have two basic styles usually. One which goes round the waist, stops at about the hips and the rest is a woven elastic band such as that in the Tom Ford one.

The other style is one where the cummerbund belt tapers in, but continues right round to the back at both sides, usually fastened by a slide clip. This version is all satin or silk outer, while lined inside. The sides double back with velcro to make the garment adjustable. I have three, and all sit much better than the elastic ones. Pic attached.

image.jpg

Actually, the bow tie does say pre-tied, which is not good. But it is one of the best pre-tied bow ties I've ever seen. It doesn't look stiff. Like any pre-tied bow tie, it belongs in the garbage!

I've never see the other type of cummerbund. Plenty of high-end makers do the elastic. I find nothing wrong with the elastic. The back of the cummerbund should never be seen anyway.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits