Best actor-film combination

This thread is about listing best actor-film combination from the actor's tenure. Below is the format:

Bond Actor - Film that suited him perfectly and the actor also rose to the occasion (and your favorite film from the actor's tenure)

1. Connery - GF (FRWL)
2. Lazenby - OHMSS (OHMSS)
3. Moore - TSWLM (TSWLM)
4. Dalton - LTK (TLD)
5. Brosnan - TWINE (TND)
6. Craig - CR (SP)

{[]

Comments

• HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    1.Connery - Thunderball
    2.Lazenby - which one could it be :)
    3.Moore - Octopussy
    4.Dalton - Licence to Kill
    5.Brosnan - Die Another Day
    6.Craig - Spectre
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    1. Connery - FRWL (FRWL)
    3. Moore - FYEO (FYEO)
    4. Dalton - LTK (TLD)
    5. Brosnan - TWINE (TWINE)
    6. Craig - SP (SP)
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    2.Lazenby - which one could it be :)

We still list GL so that he doesn't feel left out (who knows he could be reading the thread) :))
    Matt S wrote:
    3. Moore - FYEO (FYEO)

Moore performed well in FYEO :) .... But would someone like Dalton been more suitable for the role? Or do you think that the role required an all-rounder such as Moore to balance the range nicely?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    am747 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    3. Moore - FYEO (FYEO)

Moore performed well in FYEO :) .... But would someone like Dalton been more suitable for the role? Or do you think that the role required an all-rounder such as Moore to balance the range nicely?

I don't think Dalton would have been nearly as good in it. FYEO made great use of Moore's charm and warm personality, which Dalton didn't have. It showed many different sides of Moore. Even though Moore didn't want to kick Locque's car of cliff, he played the part perfectly.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    If this is about fave movies from each BA vs fave performances from them in the role, here's how it goes for me (more or less):

1) Connery: GF (GF)
    2) Lazenby (only one possible choice)
    3) Moore: TSWLM (OP)
    4) Dalton: TLD (TLD)
    5) Brosnan: DAD (TND)
    6) Craig: SP (Possibly SP)
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
    Usually, the BA's performance in 3rd / 4th film has been at its best .... At times, the first film of the actor is made special so the performance shines as well. The actor's enthusiasm for becoming Bond helps as well

Based on the above, makes me wonder how Dalton and Lazenby's would performed in their 3rd film if they had that opportunity
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    Film/Performance

1. Connery- GF/FRWL
    2. Lazenby- OHMSS/OHMSS
    3. Moore- MR/FYEO
    4. Dalton- LTK/LTK
    5. Brosnan- GE/TND
    6. Craig- CR/SP
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    Connery: GF (FRWL)
    Lazenby: too difficult, can't decide
    Moore: OP (OP)
    Dalton: TLD (TLD)
    Brosnan TND (GE)
    Craig: SP (SP)
    Dalton Rulez™
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Connery: FRWL (GF)
    Lazenby: None
    Moore: TSWLM (TSWLM)
    Dalton: TLD (LTK)
    Brosnan: GE (GE)
    Craig: CR (CR)
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
    Leaving OHMSS aside, it appears as if many have the performance / film same for many of their choices .... In some cases, could it be the performance making the film favorite or vice-versa
    Lazenby is excluded often already in public tv shows, etc...
    it's our duty to honor him :)
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • OddjoblofeldraxorinOddjoblofeldraxorin CaliforniaPosts: 195MI6 Agent
    For me:
    Goldfinger
    Majesty's
    TSWLM
    Daylights
    Goldeneye
    Spectre
    HTH, why did you quote your own post and repost it?

Never mind.
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    was trying to edit it but it didn't work as planned. now I can't be bothered :))
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Lazenby is excluded often already in public tv shows, etc...
    it's our duty to honor him :)

I do agree that while i'm not fond of him myself, and though I also make jokes about him (writing "none" in this thread as if Lazenby had no good Bond film and such :P) I also get annoyed when he isn't mentioned. Sure, i'm not a fan. But I am a fan of Bond. And Lazenby was a part of that. So yes, he should indeed be honored.
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    1. Connery - GF (DN)
    3. Moore - TSWLM (TMWTGG)
    4. Dalton - LTK (TLD)
    5. Brosnan - TND (TND)
    6. Craig - SP (SP)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Connery - FRWL (TB)
    Moore - OP (MR)
    Dalton - TLD (TLD)
    Brosnan - TWINE (TWINE)
    Craig - SP (SP)
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    Interesting that it seems many agree on SP having Craig's best performance as Bond. A toast to that. -{
  • Julius No M.D.Julius No M.D. Posts: 110MI6 Agent
    Connery - His first 3
    Moore - LALD, TSWLM, OP
    Dalton - LTK (Was written for his more darker and dangerous character)
    Brosnan - GE (TND was good for him, but TWINE and DAD were too corny for him)
    Craig - CR (Though all of his films were fit for him)
    edited January 2016
    deleted
  • DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent
    1. Connery - FRWL (GF)
    3. Moore - FYEO (FYEO)
    4. Dalton - LTK (LTK)
    5. Brosnan - GE (GE)
    6. Craig - CR (CR)
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Connery - FRWL. This film is class and Connery's performance helps make it so. For me Connery is still the greatest and his performance in FRWL has never been bettered. -{
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • ThunderRakerThunderRaker Posts: 40MI6 Agent
    Connery - TB/FRWL (YOLT)
    Connery's fantastic acting and good looks saved Thunderball from being a terrible film instead of a mediocre one. YOLT is a personal favorite. Then again, no other actor could portray the sophistication and realism of 007 except Connery.

Lazenby - OHMSS (OMSS)
    I don't have much of an option. Even though I think Lazenby gets too much flak for his acting, I agree that for the majority of the film, he doesn't do too well. But the thing is, there's a couple scenes here and there in which I don't think any other Bond actor could have done as good as he done, truly the ideal Bond actor to show emotion, and I think he could have done better if he stayed.

Moore - TSWLM (TSWLM)
    Moore does the perfect combination of seriousness and humor, and balances it perfectly, making it the Bond film that stays closest true to the "Bond formula" imo.

Dalton - LTK (LTK)
    I can imagine Brosnan playing in TLD, Dalton really shows his skills in LTK.

Brosnan - TWINE (GE)
    I'm glad Brosnan was in TWINE. Brosnan really missed out with Bond, his Bond barely has any character. TWINE really shows how serious Brosnan can be.

Craig - SF (SP)
    No other Bond could do this.
    1. TLD 2. CR 3. OP 4. OHMSS 5. FYEO 6. AVTAK 7. TSWLM 8. GF 9. FRWL 10. SF 11. LTK 12. TB 13. QOS 14. YOLT 15. LALD 16. DN 17. TWINE 18. GE 19. TND 20. MR 21. TMWTGG 22. SP 23. DAF 24. NSNA 25. DAD
    1. Roger 2. Timmy 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. George 6. Pierce
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Connery's fantastic acting and good looks saved Thunderball from being a terrible film instead of a mediocre one.

I think I get what you are saying, but that sentence doesn't make sense. ;)

I can imagine Roger in OHMSS, Connery in LALD, Dalton in FYEO and AVTAK, Pierce in Spectre…but this list reflects the films that the actor was perfectly suited for the role and no one else could have pulled it off.

Connery - DN and FRWL (Dr. No is my fav)

Moore - TSWLM, MR, and OP (but especially TSWLM which is my fav)

Dalton - LTK (also my fav)

Brosnan - GE and TND (GE is my fav by a small margin)

Craig - QoS (SP is my fav)
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • Agent LeeAgent Lee Posts: 254MI6 Agent
    edited January 2016
    Awesome idea! Here's my list:

Connery-FRWL (FRWL)
    Moore-OP (TSWLM)
    Dalton-LTK (LTK)
    Brosnan-GE (GE)
    Craig-SF (SF)

Didn't realize that my favorite film from each actor would end up being the same as the one I think is the best actor-film combination. I guess that means my taste in bond films is largely defined by how much I enjoy the performance of the actor.
    Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2
    Agent Lee wrote:
    Didn't realize that my favorite film from each actor would end up being the same as the one I think is the best actor-film combination. I guess that means my taste in bond films is largely defined by how much I enjoy the performance of the actor.

One of the reasons that I like DAF is mainly because of SC's performance. His lines and some of the sequences are just brilliant, and always makes me smile! But the film has a few other things going for it as well including the score

On the other hand, I like PB's performance in GE and DAD but don't rate those films high relatively speaking. I do enjoy them on their day

Then there is OHMSS where I find GL's performance to be candid. OHMSS is among my highly rated films so it could be that I automatically like GL's performance because of that

This is a good exercise to get insights on our tastes which at first may appear random or unrelated

{[]
  • MDMagic007MDMagic007 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    1.Connery - DrNo
    2.Lazenby - we all know
    3.Moore - Live and Let Die
    4.Dalton - Licence to Kill
    5.Brosnan - Golden Eye
    6.Craig - Skyfall